CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#1043 Jun 16, 2010
Little known fact:

Paul Revere and the Raiders recorded "Louie Louie" in the same studio, within a day or so, as The Kingsmen.

Somehow the Kingsmen version became the standard though.
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#1044 Jun 16, 2010
Saw where Harry Johnson passed away.
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#1045 Jun 16, 2010
musicoloist wrote:
Is it my imagination, or does anyone else remember back in the mid 60's, Dick Clark's Caravan Of Stars came to EKU and played at Alumni Collesium. Paul Revere and the Raiders, Freddy Cannon, and others were on the bill. I believe the Exiles [as they were known then] were the opening act. If anyone else remembers this please post on here and list some more of the acts that appeared. Thanks.
I remember the event but not all the acts. Weren't some from the TV Show "Where the Action Is" - or something like that.

Steve Alaimo?(sp?)
The Buckinghams?
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#1046 Jun 16, 2010
Ii remember 45's of The Exiles:
John Weatherman
Church Street Soul Revival
flowerstar

New Haven, CT

#1048 Jun 20, 2010
CHESTER wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't know him but remember him very well. He is still the standard I measure rock singers against. He was a wild man! Flipping his hair around, jumping on things. Talking crazy between songs.

He drove around in a convertible that I thought was a T-Bird but somebody told me it was another model. It was sharp whatever it was.

He was kind of odd to talk to, but always friendly.

Not sure but I think he was raised by his mother and didn't have other family, but I could be wrong.
Thanks for the answer, CHESTER.:)

Stokley sounds cool, actually. Was he a typical rock singer? You know, all about the drugs, drinking and sex?

What do you mean by "talking crazy", and he was "kind of odd to talk to"? I'm guessing he was eccentric from that, but I would like to know what you meant exactly, out of curiousity (you don't mean he was on drugs, do you?):O

Hehe, I might be spamming now with all my questions, sorry about that.:P
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#1049 Jun 21, 2010
flowerstar wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the answer, CHESTER.:)
Stokley sounds cool, actually. Was he a typical rock singer? You know, all about the drugs, drinking and sex?
What do you mean by "talking crazy", and he was "kind of odd to talk to"? I'm guessing he was eccentric from that, but I would like to know what you meant exactly, out of curiousity (you don't mean he was on drugs, do you?):O
Hehe, I might be spamming now with all my questions, sorry about that.:P
No problem at all. I didn't really know him, just talked a few minutes a couple of times. I'd say he was eccentric. Appeared to be the typical rock star to me!

I'm not going to say about drugs since I don't know for sure and he's dead now. But I'd say most all musicians did drugs back then, and most still do.

He'd joke and say crazy stuff between songs like a good entertainer.
flowerstar

New Haven, CT

#1050 Jun 21, 2010
That's pretty cool.:) I like eccentric people, but that's probably because I am one myself. Thanks again.

Was Exile the only popular band around Kentucky? There were others, right?

Also, this is slightly off the topic of music, but I was wondering - how did most everybody get jobs in the past around then? Just something I've been curious about.
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#1051 Jun 21, 2010
You can google up stuff about the Exiles, or type in "Jimmy Stokley". I found some pix but didn't bookmark the site.

They're the only semi-big RnR band I've heard of from around here. There've been a lot of famous entertainers though. Loretta Lynn, Dwight Yokum, Tom T. Hall.
flowerstar

New Haven, CT

#1052 Jun 21, 2010
flowerstar wrote:
Also, this is slightly off the topic of music, but I was wondering - how did most everybody get jobs in the past around then? Just something I've been curious about.
I meant to ask about first jobs there, gosh I hate leaving out a word.:P
flowerstar

New Haven, CT

#1053 Jun 21, 2010
CHESTER wrote:
You can google up stuff about the Exiles, or type in "Jimmy Stokley". I found some pix but didn't bookmark the site.
They're the only semi-big RnR band I've heard of from around here. There've been a lot of famous entertainers though. Loretta Lynn, Dwight Yokum, Tom T. Hall.
Thanks, you've been very helpful.:)
Again, I apologise about all the questions. I'm just kind of curious since I think Jimmy Stokley might be a distant cousin of mine, or at least alot of the surnames matched up from what I found (I like to do small genealogy here, and there). I actually want to become a musician, so it's interesting to think about being related to one like Jimmy. Thanks again, CHESTER.:)
mrpaintlick

Lexington, KY

#1054 Jun 21, 2010
flowerstar wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, I apologise about all the questions. I'm just kind of curious since I think Jimmy Stokley might be a distant cousin of mine, or at least alot of the surnames matched up from what I found (I like to do small genealogy here, and there). I actually want to become a musician, so it's interesting to think about being related to one like Jimmy. Thanks again, CHESTER.:)
jimmy was always drunk as hell..very bad alcoholic..not knockin him because i'm an alky myself...non practicing since i joined aa..
OTIS CAMBELL

Newport, KY

#1055 Jun 21, 2010
flowerstar wrote:
<quoted text>
jimmy/s dad went by a nick name, peter rabbit stokley, his dad and mom lived down on tates creek, bud stokley was jimmys uncle, he also lived on tates creek, in 1960 jimmy worked for collins drug store in richmond, back then he had a red 55 chev he drove, jimmys first cousin is nancy gully last name may be spelled wrong, she is buds girl,, this may help you some,
class of 67

Richmond, KY

#1056 Jun 21, 2010
OTIS CAMBELL wrote:
<quoted text>
jimmy/s dad went by a nick name, peter rabbit stokley, his dad and mom lived down on tates creek, bud stokley was jimmys uncle, he also lived on tates creek, in 1960 jimmy worked for collins drug store in richmond, back then he had a red 55 chev he drove, jimmys first cousin is nancy gully last name may be spelled wrong, she is buds girl,, this may help you some,
back then The Exiles, as they were called were just another group that played at most of our sock hops at Madison Central.
jerry

Lexington, KY

#1057 Jun 21, 2010
I got this off line about the Exiles. I hope this answers some questions.
In 1963, a group of high school students started a rock and roll band in Richmond, Kentucky. They called themselves the Exiles. Those original Richmond Exiles were Jimmy Stokley, Ronnie 'Mac' Davenport, Ronnie Hall, Paul Smith, J. P. Pennington, and Buzz Cornelison. Their chosen name may have resulted from the influx of Cubans into the United States after the Fidel Castro takeover in 1959. According to original Exile Pennington,“There were a lot of Cuban exiles coming across...the word was in the news and we felt we were also somewhat ostracized from the local society. We had long hair back then...”
Richmond natives Mike Howard, Larry Jackson, Danny Williams and Billy Luxon were also members of the Exiles in the 1960s. Most of the Exiles were students at Madison Central and Madison High School in Richmond when the band formed and played together from 1963-65. They were an off-shoot of Ronnie (Hall) and the Fascinations and another Richmond area group, the Digits. They were known in those early years as Jimmy Stokley and the Exiles. Stokley (18 October 1943 - 13 August 1985) was the lead singer of the group and continued in that capacity until 1979. It is Stokley's lead voice that is prominent on Exile's 1978 Billboard pop music chart-topper, "Kiss You All Over".
When the Dick Clark Caravan Of Stars hit the road in 1965, they picked up the Exiles to perform on several dates in and around Kentucky. They continued touring nationally with the Caravan of Stars through to 1968; opening the show and providing back-up for headlining stars like Freddy Cannon, the Young Rascals, B. J. Thomas and others.
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#1058 Jun 22, 2010
class of 67 wrote:
<quoted text> back then The Exiles, as they were called were just another group that played at most of our sock hops at Madison Central.
Quiet true, but by 1970, every kid in Richmond with an electric guitar wanted to be just like them. I was one of 'em!
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#1059 Jun 22, 2010
mrpaintlick wrote:
<quoted text>jimmy was always drunk as hell..very bad alcoholic..not knockin him because i'm an alky myself...non practicing since i joined aa..
Occupational hazard I guess.
flowerstar

New Haven, CT

#1060 Jun 23, 2010
OTIS CAMBELL wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know what Jimmy's father's real name was? Anyhow, thankyou for all this information, I saved it down and 'll have to look into it later.=)

It's funny though that you mention Jimmy working for a Collins Drug Store, since I think Collins is also another family name in my tree. Interesting anyhow.

Thanks everybody, I love hearing anything you have to share about Jimmy and Exile. It's cool, thanks again.=)
JustMe

Richmond, KY

#1061 Jun 23, 2010
does anyone remember where the piggly wiggly was? my mom does.
jerry

Lexington, KY

#1062 Jun 23, 2010
JustMe wrote:
does anyone remember where the piggly wiggly was? my mom does.
Where Goodwill is now.
OTIS CAMBELL

Newport, KY

#1063 Jun 23, 2010
a good story of old buckhorn from richmond,
for some that have not read it ,
type in,, UNUSUAL KETUCKY, then look on the right for, PETE BUCKHORN GROSS,
good reading,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Am I Supposed to Climb The Ladder of Succes... (Nov '14) 17 min translation 5,576
Add a Word, Drop a Word (Sep '11) 27 min Jennifer Renee 19,953
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 29 min Jennifer Renee 32,235
Richmond Little Leauge ruined by travel ball 38 min baseball mother 34
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr ChromiuMan 136,709
kevin jenkins 1 hr knowthat 20
Adultery 3 hr lmao 25
More from around the web

Richmond People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]