Madison County in the 60s and 70s

Posted in the Richmond Forum

First Prev
of 79
Next Last
The good ole days

Richmond, KY

#1 Apr 2, 2009
Burger Broil Resturant next to where Gateway is now.
Heel taps on your shoes.
My dad telling me to turn the antenna for the tv.
Frishes with carhops on the corner of Lancaster and bypass.
Kirksville school's squeaky wood floors.
I remember lol

Richmond, KY

#2 Apr 2, 2009
movies on mainstreet
Bi-Centinial festival downtown around the court house.
The lines of food stamp recipients at the post office on water street.
Cheese line. Oh was that the 80's lol
Drive-in movies!
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#3 Apr 2, 2009
The Bruger-Matic. One of the first busineses on the by-pass. Buckhorn, Wes Eades. Local radio. Stockton's, Begley's, Richmond Supply, Taylor's Jewelry, McCords, Elizabeths. Long as Currier's has been there I rememgber when it was Newberry's. Rivers shoes repair.
For Sure

United States

#4 Apr 2, 2009
Heck's department store, Charlie's Car Wash, When Walmart was where Peddler's Mall is and Kmart was where Kroger's is, when Kroger's was on main street, Dairy Queen was where Little Caesar's is, and before that it was the Dairy Bar, the OLD truckstop at exit 95-(i think i got all that right-i was just a kid!)
I remember Stockton's and Begley's, my mom worked at both places. The Sweet Shop...I could go on and on...LOL!
Mee

United States

#5 Apr 2, 2009
Ponderosa on the by pass, Burger Queen on Bill Hill....
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#6 Apr 2, 2009
The Exiles, before they were just Exile.

Wallace's book store. The newpaper office on the corner of Water and 2nd.

Anybody know where the water tower is, near Norwood, Bellevue, Clay Dr - I grew up there.
Andy

Clay City, KY

#7 Apr 2, 2009
Fix-It Shop; Canfield Motors; Sav-On Meat Market; Home Meat Mkt.; Richmond Bakery; Hinkle Drug Store; Dixie Kitchen; White Kitchen; Chinaman; Popsicle; K.O. Young; Madison Theater; State Theater; Speck's Restaurant; Ben Franklin's; Lerman's Dept. Store; Collins Drug Store; Luigi's Pizza; Pasquale's Pizza; The Paddock; Cozy Corner a/k/a Ernie's Cozy Corner a/k/a Dirty Ernie's; Woolworth's; Marcum's Poolroom; Shepherd's Poolroom; Kirk's Jewelry; Jan's Shoes; Higgin's Furniture; Byrd's Drug Store---more later.
hello

Richmond, KY

#8 Apr 2, 2009
taco tico!!
I remember lol

Richmond, KY

#9 Apr 2, 2009
The twilight zone (video games)
What was the resturant next to swifty's with big chicken in front?
Burger Queen
Mr. Waffle
Big Johns Liquor Store
Silver Dollar
The Hub
The Spider Web
lol, been in gutter before lol
freda

Richmond, KY

#10 Apr 2, 2009
I remember lol wrote:
The twilight zone (video games)
What was the resturant next to swifty's with big chicken in front?
Burger Queen
Mr. Waffle
Big Johns Liquor Store
Silver Dollar
The Hub
The Spider Web
lol, been in gutter before lol
remember Kenny's...best burgers & shakes..in the curve on Big Hill av. the Perry boys worked there. great place to eat in the car. then on down the st. was the Dairy Bar....best banana splits in town.
CB Outlaw

Kathleen, GA

#11 Apr 2, 2009
Does anyone remember the 50's style diner down on water street? I asked my mom and dad what the name of it was a while back and they could not remember. The building is still there but it's a liquor store now. It's on the same side as the old post office across the street from the old Paco's.
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#12 Apr 3, 2009
I remember every one of these places. Did anybody mention Ma Kelly's?

Bobby Jack Smith - used to cut hair, then had a liquor store, the a bar - The Horny Bull or Bull's Horn, can't remember. Not The Bear and the Bull - another place I remember well.
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#13 Apr 3, 2009
CB Outlaw wrote:
Does anyone remember the 50's style diner down on water street? I asked my mom and dad what the name of it was a while back and they could not remember. The building is still there but it's a liquor store now. It's on the same side as the old post office across the street from the old Paco's.
If you were into CB in the 70's do you remember "Walkie Talkie". An old guy who was ALWAYS on the air.
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#14 Apr 3, 2009
Andy wrote:
Fix-It Shop; Canfield Motors; Sav-On Meat Market; Home Meat Mkt.; Richmond Bakery; Hinkle Drug Store; Dixie Kitchen; White Kitchen; Chinaman; Popsicle; K.O. Young; Madison Theater; State Theater; Speck's Restaurant; Ben Franklin's; Lerman's Dept. Store; Collins Drug Store; Luigi's Pizza; Pasquale's Pizza; The Paddock; Cozy Corner a/k/a Ernie's Cozy Corner a/k/a Dirty Ernie's; Woolworth's; Marcum's Poolroom; Shepherd's Poolroom; Kirk's Jewelry; Jan's Shoes; Higgin's Furniture; Byrd's Drug Store---more later.
If you remember when it was Specks you DO go way back. Speck Young I think was his name. Wasn't Ernie's Cozy Corner on the corner of Main and Collins ?
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#15 Apr 3, 2009
What killed downtown Richmond and downtown's everywhere is the interstates. It's only natural that business migrates to where people stop along their travels.

Makes me sad as hell though.
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#16 Apr 3, 2009
freda wrote:
<quoted text> remember Kenny's...best burgers & shakes..in the curve on Big Hill av. the Perry boys worked there. great place to eat in the car. then on down the st. was the Dairy Bar....best banana splits in town.
Was his name Kenny Kiser? Or was Kiser who had the location before that.
Patluvsvettes

Franklin, OH

#17 Apr 3, 2009
I came to Richmond when I was 3 back in 1978. Here are some of the places I remember that are no more:

1. I remember when there was a Big K where the Peddler's Mall is now. After Big K it was Wal-Mart.

2. Kentucky Arcade where Papa John's is now. I used to go there and play video games after I got off work at night.

3. Paul's Barber Shop downtown. I loved that guy! He would always make me laugh as a kid and give me bubble gum when he was finished with my haircut.

4. I remember the HUGE lines at Autumn Steakhouse after church on Sundays.

5. I remember Rose's department store and I worked at Winn Dixie when it was where Ace Hardware is now. The head manager at Winn Dixie was an a$$hole!
CHESTER

Cincinnati, OH

#18 Apr 3, 2009
Patluvsvettes wrote:
I came to Richmond when I was 3 back in 1978. Here are some of the places I remember that are no more:
1. I remember when there was a Big K where the Peddler's Mall is now. After Big K it was Wal-Mart.
2. Kentucky Arcade where Papa John's is now. I used to go there and play video games after I got off work at night.
3. Paul's Barber Shop downtown. I loved that guy! He would always make me laugh as a kid and give me bubble gum when he was finished with my haircut.
4. I remember the HUGE lines at Autumn Steakhouse after church on Sundays.
5. I remember Rose's department store and I worked at Winn Dixie when it was where Ace Hardware is now. The head manager at Winn Dixie was an a$$hole!
That's about the time I left. Yep, and before it was Rose's it was called Britt's. That was the first store when they built the center.

All managers are assholes!

Before everybody had home system there were lots of arcades.

Don't quite remember Paul's. Too bad. Not enough nice guys around anymore. I remember Willie's Barber Shop where I went as a kid. Imagine a time when 5-6 men could make a decent living cutting hair!
I remember

Richmond, KY

#19 Apr 3, 2009
Wow, Andy must me before my time.I remember, Faye's Fabric,the bakery across the street, SuperX, KenCar?dollar on the corner of first street,5&10 store, Lermans,Theater on the corner of 3rd st, Paperoffice(Mr. Gump worked there) Mr. Ballew's Taylor Shop.
Andy wrote:
Satan

United States

#20 Apr 3, 2009
You gotta be OLD to remember Earls Suzuki & Honda , Tom Clarks Cycle sales , Franks Yamaha & Kawasaki , Last Chance , Ken Rays Motors. I could list more but the memory is one of the first things to go!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 79
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 min Mickey402 149,922
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 1 hr Jennifer Renee 38,288
My Plans For Today 1 hr Thats How Its Goi... 523
Adam j Taylor arrested 4 hr Atgreen 6
Looking 4 hr David 3
Paintball in Madison county 4 hr David 8
Cheating husbands 12 hr Lolly 27
Is Kyle Goble high?? (Dec '10) 13 hr MCHS 124

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages