How many EKU student so far
Problem

Winchester, KY

#83 Apr 17, 2013
Bob Myers wrote:
<quoted text>
He in no way, shape form or fashion WON the election.
By signing the decree to allow illegal immigrants to vote and provide amnesty to them with the same ink pen, he snookered his way back into office. Now those poor souls are crying because the law is changing AGAIN and not in their favor. Statistics were 65% of people voting for him were hispanic. Who wouldn't vote for a man who not only gave them a country but paid them(welfare) to stay and enjoy it?
This is the same tired arguement put forth time and again. If everything is as you say perhaps you can at least admit someone somewhere dropped the ball either by the charisma, connections, intelligence whatever that allowed him to be in the position to do as you describe.

All of that is really irrelevant in that this is much more about respect of the office. If you despise the current administration do you feel that way about what the office represents regardless of who is in there? Show a little dignity.
EKU grad

Richmond, KY

#84 Apr 17, 2013
Most of these messages are the kind that encourage unstable people to act out on dangerous thoughts they struggle with every day. This reckless spewing of hatred over having the the first lady of our nation speak at EKU's graduation is childish and perhaps even dangerous. I sincerely hope Mrs. Obama's visit and speech goes well. I am proud to have the first lady speaking and would appreciate any speaker of her stature speaking whether I agreed with them politically or not. I am a graduate of EKU and make monetary contributions every year. I plan to continue to do so. I must say I wish I could exclude narrow minded people from benefiting from my contributions but I cant'.
Voter

Corbin, KY

#85 Apr 17, 2013
As a Republican, let me tell you dumb asses how this will be. The First Lady of the United States is coming to speak. As I said I do not agree with their politics, but people, this is the First Lady we are speaking about. So why complain for nothing. Who the hell else can you say was at an event where a person of her stature spoke. This is a good thing for our town.

Now when all is said and done, she will come down, give her talk, to wide acclaim, and all will be happy. Except maybe the Topix trouble makers that run their mouths because they are too stupid to do any better.

I only wish I was in school and graduating. This will be an excellent story to tell your grandchildren, how the First Lady, took time out of her schedule, to speak to the people in our town.

Thank You Mrs. Obama for taking the time to speak here. Pay no attention to the idiots on Topix, they would complain about canned pop if anyone would listen to them.
Ron

United States

#86 Apr 17, 2013
I'm a current student that is a Vet. The veterans office is a joke, Reetha is by far the most unpleasant person that works there. Not only was I broke last semester, but it took them three months to process my paper work. As I found out all that she had to do was update a spread sheet. I'm glad I don't graduate this year, hopefully next year they actually get someone who cares about America
keeper of the Tard Hatch

Louisville, KY

#87 Apr 17, 2013
Pure ignorance ... more proof that this god-forsaken inbred state should be excommunicated and condemned
Ron

Richmond, KY

#88 Apr 17, 2013
keeper of the Tard Hatch wrote:
Pure ignorance ... more proof that this god-forsaken inbred state should be excommunicated and condemned
move then,
yougottabekiddin g

Ashland, KY

#89 Apr 17, 2013
Voter wrote:
As a Republican, let me tell you dumb asses how this will be. The First Lady of the United States is coming to speak. As I said I do not agree with their politics, but people, this is the First Lady we are speaking about. So why complain for nothing. Who the hell else can you say was at an event where a person of her stature spoke. This is a good thing for our town.
Now when all is said and done, she will come down, give her talk, to wide acclaim, and all will be happy. Except maybe the Topix trouble makers that run their mouths because they are too stupid to do any better.
I only wish I was in school and graduating. This will be an excellent story to tell your grandchildren, how the First Lady, took time out of her schedule, to speak to the people in our town.
Thank You Mrs. Obama for taking the time to speak here. Pay no attention to the idiots on Topix, they would complain about canned pop if anyone would listen to them.
Thank you for posting. It's so nice to hear some reasonable responses.
ironic

Berea, KY

#90 Apr 18, 2013
keeper of the Tard Hatch wrote:
Pure ignorance ... more proof that this god-forsaken inbred state should be excommunicated and condemned
Dictionary.com is your friend, try using it before spewing dem dere big words when you don't know what they mean.
pdo

Ironton, OH

#91 Apr 18, 2013
I think you all are missing the point of this. For the most part students aren't upset due to political beliefs,(there are some who are though). Most are upset for the way eku is handling it. Changing graduation time, limiting the number if people who are allowed to go, causing the speaker to be more important than the actual graduation. And honestly, what could she possibly say that would help? Most students are graduating in debt with no idea about where they are going to work. And eku just did a major budget cut. People lost or are losing their jobs. Even though it has been said she is coming for free, do you really believe that eku isn't forking over any money? Here's the deal. If she wants to come, great, but why not have it on another day besides graduation so that everyone who wants to go can and those that don't aren't affected. This way graduation is still what is important and those wanting to see her can.
Airforce Wife

Richmond, KY

#92 Apr 18, 2013
I am absolutely appalled by some of the comments I have been reading. What in the world is wrong with you so called educated people?? You have been honored by the presence of the First Lady of our United States of America speaking at your graduation!! I do not have a child graduating and I'm glad that I do not!! I would be ashamed if she came and told me that she was boycotting her own graduation because the First Lady was going to speak..I would wonder where I had went wrong in raising her. My husband is in his 18th year of serving in our US Airforce, I feel the need to quote something from him. In his words, "I am a proud American soldier, I WILL & DO SUPPORT MY COMMANDER IN CHIEF!! My husband is a republican and his has enough character & patriotism to back our President & his wife, regardless of his political preference & IMO YOU SHOULD BE DOING THE SAME!! We are one nation we need to support & respect our country and our president as well as Mrs. Obama. What if she had been invited to speak and turned down the invitation?? I would bet you same people would be on here complaining and belly-aching about the fact that she had turned you down!! Another thing I think you graduates should learn about and that is simple respect of others. I am a democrat, my husband is republican as I stated before. We agree to disagree but one thing about it is we both are greatful to be AMERICANS and living here in the US. We RESPECT each other greatly, we may not agree on politics but neither of us would EVER disrespect President Obama, Mrs. Obama or their family buy turning our backs on them or refusing to show up at an important function honoring either of us because Michelle Obama took the time and felt it was important enough to be there to speak in our honor!! What is wrong with you all?? I am utterly disguisted by the plans you so called educated people are making that will only prove to embarrass our state once again!!!! You are going to be the ones holding important jobs that will make some decisions that will be affecting some of our lives--that scares me!! These are not going to be the actions of adults but of a bunch of pitiful, ignorant, spoiled children that think if they hold their breath long enough or throw their tantrum a little bit longer that they will get their way. Whoever is responsible for getting Mrs. Obama here, I applaud you for a job well done!! I'm just sorry that you did this for a bunch of ungrateful, spoiled buch of little brats who deserve to have their favorite toy or be sent to their rooms for acting the way that they have...GROW UP CLASS OF 2013!! INSTEAD OF LOOKING LIKE EDUCATED ADULTS YOU SIMPLY LOOK LIKE, AS I SAID BEFORE, A BUNCH OF SPOILED BRATS!! I will be embarrassed for the state of Kentucky if you pull such a childish stunt!! I wish she would have been invited to UK or UofL--they would have had the "class" to show Mrs. Obama the respect she deserves as our First Lady of the United States!! im sure not a one of them would have thought of boycotting their own graduation...you bunch of spoiled adolescents. AS I SAID BEFORE GROW UP, PLZ!!
Disaster

Georgetown, KY

#93 Apr 18, 2013
EKU Spring Commencement brought to you by the good folks from the White Star Line, the Hindenburg Foundation and Mingua Beef snacks.
Folks

United States

#94 Apr 18, 2013
Airforce Wife wrote:
I am absolutely appalled by some of the comments I have been reading. What in the world is wrong with you so called educated people?? You have been honored by the presence of the First Lady of our United States of America speaking at your graduation!! I do not have a child graduating and I'm glad that I do not!! I would be ashamed if she came and told me that she was boycotting her own graduation because the First Lady was going to speak..I would wonder where I had went wrong in raising her. My husband is in his 18th year of serving in our US Airforce, I feel the need to quote something from him. In his words, "I am a proud American soldier, I WILL & DO SUPPORT MY COMMANDER IN CHIEF!! My husband is a republican and his has enough character & patriotism to back our President & his wife, regardless of his political preference & IMO YOU SHOULD BE DOING THE SAME!! We are one nation we need to support & respect our country and our president as well as Mrs. Obama. What if she had been invited to speak and turned down the invitation?? I would bet you same people would be on here complaining and belly-aching about the fact that she had turned you down!! Another thing I think you graduates should learn about and that is simple respect of others. I am a democrat, my husband is republican as I stated before. We agree to disagree but one thing about it is we both are greatful to be AMERICANS and living here in the US. We RESPECT each other greatly, we may not agree on politics but neither of us would EVER disrespect President Obama, Mrs. Obama or their family buy turning our backs on them or refusing to show up at an important function honoring either of us because Michelle Obama took the time and felt it was important enough to be there to speak in our honor!! What is wrong with you all?? I am utterly disguisted by the plans you so called educated people are making that will only prove to embarrass our state once again!!!! You are going to be the ones holding important jobs that will make some decisions that will be affecting some of our lives--that scares me!! These are not going to be the actions of adults but of a bunch of pitiful, ignorant, spoiled children that think if they hold their breath long enough or throw their tantrum a little bit longer that they will get their way. Whoever is responsible for getting Mrs. Obama here, I applaud you for a job well done!! I'm just sorry that you did this for a bunch of ungrateful, spoiled buch of little brats who deserve to have their favorite toy or be sent to their rooms for acting the way that they have...GROW UP CLASS OF 2013!! INSTEAD OF LOOKING LIKE EDUCATED ADULTS YOU SIMPLY LOOK LIKE, AS I SAID BEFORE, A BUNCH OF SPOILED BRATS!! I will be embarrassed for the state of Kentucky if you pull such a childish stunt!! I wish she would have been invited to UK or UofL--they would have had the "class" to show Mrs. Obama the respect she deserves as our First Lady of the United States!! im sure not a one of them would have thought of boycotting their own graduation...you bunch of spoiled adolescents. AS I SAID BEFORE GROW UP, PLZ!!
Wonderful post!
Ron

Richmond, KY

#95 Apr 18, 2013
He is an "air man" not a soldier.
Ron

Richmond, KY

#96 Apr 18, 2013
Airforce Wife wrote:
I am absolutely appalled by some of the comments I have been reading. What in the world is wrong with you so called educated people?? You have been honored by the presence of the First Lady of our United States of America speaking at your graduation!! I do not have a child graduating and I'm glad that I do not!! I would be ashamed if she came and told me that she was boycotting her own graduation because the First Lady was going to speak..I would wonder where I had went wrong in raising her. My husband is in his 18th year of serving in our US Airforce, I feel the need to quote something from him. In his words, "I am a proud American soldier, I WILL & DO SUPPORT MY COMMANDER IN CHIEF!! My husband is a republican and his has enough character & patriotism to back our President & his wife, regardless of his political preference & IMO YOU SHOULD BE DOING THE SAME!! We are one nation we need to support & respect our country and our president as well as Mrs. Obama. What if she had been invited to speak and turned down the invitation?? I would bet you same people would be on here complaining and belly-aching about the fact that she had turned you down!! Another thing I think you graduates should learn about and that is simple respect of others. I am a democrat, my husband is republican as I stated before. We agree to disagree but one thing about it is we both are greatful to be AMERICANS and living here in the US. We RESPECT each other greatly, we may not agree on politics but neither of us would EVER disrespect President Obama, Mrs. Obama or their family buy turning our backs on them or refusing to show up at an important function honoring either of us because Michelle Obama took the time and felt it was important enough to be there to speak in our honor!! What is wrong with you all?? I am utterly disguisted by the plans you so called educated people are making that will only prove to embarrass our state once again!!!! You are going to be the ones holding important jobs that will make some decisions that will be affecting some of our lives--that scares me!! These are not going to be the actions of adults but of a bunch of pitiful, ignorant, spoiled children that think if they hold their breath long enough or throw their tantrum a little bit longer that they will get their way. Whoever is responsible for getting Mrs. Obama here, I applaud you for a job well done!! I'm just sorry that you did this for a bunch of ungrateful, spoiled buch of little brats who deserve to have their favorite toy or be sent to their rooms for acting the way that they have...GROW UP CLASS OF 2013!! INSTEAD OF LOOKING LIKE EDUCATED ADULTS YOU SIMPLY LOOK LIKE, AS I SAID BEFORE, A BUNCH OF SPOILED BRATS!! I will be embarrassed for the state of Kentucky if you pull such a childish stunt!! I wish she would have been invited to UK or UofL--they would have had the "class" to show Mrs. Obama the respect she deserves as our First Lady of the United States!! im sure not a one of them would have thought of boycotting their own graduation...you bunch of spoiled adolescents. AS I SAID BEFORE GROW UP, PLZ!!
of course you would say something like that. You are a democrat, so what have you done for your country?
Ex Military

San Diego, CA

#97 Apr 18, 2013
Airforce Wife wrote:
I am absolutely appalled by some of the comments I have been reading. What in the world is wrong with you so called educated people?? You have been honored by the presence of the First Lady of our United States of America speaking at your graduation!! I do not have a child graduating and I'm glad that I do not!! I would be ashamed if she came and told me that she was boycotting her own graduation because the First Lady was going to speak..I would wonder where I had went wrong in raising her. My husband is in his 18th year of serving in our US Airforce, I feel the need to quote something from him. In his words, "I am a proud American soldier, I WILL & DO SUPPORT MY COMMANDER IN CHIEF!! My husband is a republican and his has enough character & patriotism to back our President & his wife, regardless of his political preference & IMO YOU SHOULD BE DOING THE SAME!! We are one nation we need to support & respect our country and our president as well as Mrs. Obama. What if she had been invited to speak and turned down the invitation?? I would bet you same people would be on here complaining and belly-aching about the fact that she had turned you down!! Another thing I think you graduates should learn about and that is simple respect of others. I am a democrat, my husband is republican as I stated before. We agree to disagree but one thing about it is we both are greatful to be AMERICANS and living here in the US. We RESPECT each other greatly, we may not agree on politics but neither of us would EVER disrespect President Obama, Mrs. Obama or their family buy turning our backs on them or refusing to show up at an important function honoring either of us because Michelle Obama took the time and felt it was important enough to be there to speak in our honor!! What is wrong with you all?? I am utterly disguisted by the plans you so called educated people are making that will only prove to embarrass our state once again!!!! You are going to be the ones holding important jobs that will make some decisions that will be affecting some of our lives--that scares me!! These are not going to be the actions of adults but of a bunch of pitiful, ignorant, spoiled children that think if they hold their breath long enough or throw their tantrum a little bit longer that they will get their way. Whoever is responsible for getting Mrs. Obama here, I applaud you for a job well done!! I'm just sorry that you did this for a bunch of ungrateful, spoiled buch of little brats who deserve to have their favorite toy or be sent to their rooms for acting the way that they have...GROW UP CLASS OF 2013!! INSTEAD OF LOOKING LIKE EDUCATED ADULTS YOU SIMPLY LOOK LIKE, AS I SAID BEFORE, A BUNCH OF SPOILED BRATS!! I will be embarrassed for the state of Kentucky if you pull such a childish stunt!! I wish she would have been invited to UK or UofL--they would have had the "class" to show Mrs. Obama the respect she deserves as our First Lady of the United States!! im sure not a one of them would have thought of boycotting their own graduation...you bunch of spoiled adolescents. AS I SAID BEFORE GROW UP, PLZ!!
Of course your husband is a Republican. There are no real democrats in the military.

Ask your husband if he like every other soldier in the country raised his hand to God and swore to defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.

As soon as he say of course. Ask him about the people attacking various parts of the Constitution and why he is allowing it to continue?

Tell him it was never meant to be changed. Not a single word. The people that change it or amend it are the enemy. Why is he and others like him not earning their money?
Ex Military

San Diego, CA

#98 Apr 18, 2013
One last thing wife.

Had she been invited, things might have been different among the students. But she was NOT INVITED. She chose to come here and had the WH lean on the College to allow her to come.

What is the real agenda I wonder?

Because just like you said, with all the places in the country to speak. Why Richmond?
Funny

Richmond, KY

#99 Apr 18, 2013
Ex Military wrote:
One last thing wife.
Had she been invited, things might have been different among the students. But she was NOT INVITED. She chose to come here and had the WH lean on the College to allow her to come.
What is the real agenda I wonder?
Because just like you said, with all the places in the country to speak. Why Richmond?
Excellent points.

This is a quote from the article on EKU's website:

"The First Lady will be speaking at EKU as part of her Joining Forces initiative to assist military families. The University has received national recognition in recent years for its commitment to helping veterans further their education. EKU, home to more than 1,200 veterans and their dependents, earned a No. 1 national ranking in 2010 and 2012 from Military Times magazine in its annual “Best for Vets: Colleges” issues."

My take on it is that the Obama's are simply engaging in image management. Their popularity with the Military and Military families is abysmal and this reflects poorly on the Democratic party. It is all about image control and spin. If anyone thinks for one second that the Obama administration has been military friendly then they certainly haven't been watching close enough.

The University gets press and recognition. The Obama's get to use the University to further their "spin" and agenda. The students get the shaft.
caution

Richmond, KY

#100 Apr 18, 2013
A word to the wise...... think twice before posting threatning comments here and in the Richmond Register letter to the editor dept. because the FBI has been in town since the announcement and is monitoring EVERYTHING!!!!!
Ex Military

San Diego, CA

#101 Apr 18, 2013
caution wrote:
A word to the wise...... think twice before posting threatning comments here and in the Richmond Register letter to the editor dept. because the FBI has been in town since the announcement and is monitoring EVERYTHING!!!!!

Where did you read a threatening comment?
Disaster

Georgetown, KY

#102 Apr 18, 2013
Pres DW will end up with something out of this. Look for him to be added to Committee X, Council Y, Task Force Z.
Probably spend more time in DC on pressing matters of higher education.

Threats are inappropriate and not even on the map for reasonable people. FBI will know anything they want at anytime. Maybe they will explain to MObama why some parents and kids are less than thrilled, though that is of no consequence to the agenda for MObama. Push your programs while lots of people in the community become unemployed.

If you cannot play nice just stay home. Read the glowing testimonies in the paper.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 min another viewer 161,181
How Am I Supposed to Climb The Ladder of Succes... (Nov '14) 7 min Mr Wayne 2 U 7,563
The Main Topic 25 min NotEd 9
okcupidted 29 min Again 14
~*~ Last Post WINS ~*~ (Oct '11) 34 min Sharlene45 5,109
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 40 min Jennifer Renee 40,876
Second chance auto lowdown payments (Apr '16) 1 hr Nickpoooh 28

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages