First Prev
of 2
Next Last
R Campbell

London, KY

#1 Sep 30, 2009
Where is a good place to train martial arts in Richmond? What are some of the names of the places? What styles?
R Campbell

London, KY

#4 Sep 30, 2009
I want the opinions of people though. There are all sorts of listings, but I would rather hear from people who have actually trained in the area.
Helpful

Corbin, KY

#5 Oct 1, 2009
Try Richmond School of Karate, they have a website if that helps.
Long Time Student

Danville, KY

#6 Oct 1, 2009
The Richmond School of Karate is good place. It is more of a traditional type of school; although they do attend several tournaments every year. They teach a style which is mostly derived from the Japanise style of Shotokan.

Their web address is http://www.richmondschoolkarate.com

They are located in Southern Hills Plaza. Classes are held in the late afternoon and evening.

If you are looking for more of a MMA/UFC tyoe of school there is a place on Big Hill Ave. just before you get to the Boggs Lane intersection. I have heard good and bad(but more good then bad) about this place.

Good Luck
Rocky

United States

#7 Oct 1, 2009
You can try AFS?
Shawn

Richmond, KY

#8 Oct 1, 2009
I have a small club that meets on Saturday mornings at 10 in the Mayfield Elementray school gym (it's behind Richmond Register). It is a a mix of kids and adults, mostly teens and up at this point. We train in Shotokan Karate and try to have fun at it. Feel free to drop by and check it out. First few classes are free so you can have a chance to decide if you and the club are a match so to speak. There is also a great Shoalin/Tai Chi club in Kirksville run By Bill Adams. His website is http://www.kirksvillemartialartsclub.com/ . I have a website that my teacher started to put together before moving to Japan, it is www.ginkage.net , however it has not been updated in a number of years. Another Shotokan class taught by Reggie Camp on MW nights done through Eastern's community Ed program and also a Tues. Thurs night class at the YMCA on E. Main. That's about all I can think of at the moment, good luck in finding a school that you like! My advice would be to visit them all and go from there. There is also an Akido class run by Ron Boyd somewhere around, but it's been a while since I studied with him so I have no clue where it is at now. Also some TKD places, I think there is one in the shopping center where Dairy Queen is (also Krav Maga there). McCaslin's School was mentioned above in Southern Hills (Sorry if I mispelled his name). And AFS on Big hill which I think is more MMA type stuff. Just about anybody can tell you they have heard good and bad things about different schools, so it can be difficult to sort through the truth and lies if you don't at least visit the different places. Heck if you just want to chat about things drop by the school some time. Good luck finding a place to train!
Long Time Student

Corbin, KY

#9 Oct 1, 2009
Yeah I second the idea of trying different schools out. You need to find one that fits you. I would suggest asking about a free lesson or two, ask what the focus of the school is( i.e. mma matches, traditional type stuff, etc.)and what the costs are( i.e. regular fees, testing fees, etc.)

There is also a school out in Millers Landing that I believe is a sort of TKD/Shotokan mix.
shawn

Somerset, KY

#10 Oct 1, 2009
Here is a good article about finding a good school.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/2006/02/01/...
Student to the arts

Lexington, KY

#11 Oct 2, 2009
There is a place in Berea that is really good. They have all kinds of different styles to choose from

Muay Thai, Shotokan, Shaolin, BJJ, Judo, Tai Chi and possible a few others. Its 40 bucks a month it is the cheapest you will find anywhere.

To get there go to exit 76 turn right go past LEE's Famous Recipe turn left right before Shell Gas and its a BIG building on the left.
MMA Lover

Lexington, KY

#14 Oct 3, 2009
AFS on Big Hill is by far the best place to go!!! They teach many different styles and have many years of practice. I've tried all the schools in Madison County and it is the BEST!!
Long Time Student

Corbin, KY

#15 Oct 3, 2009
You've tried ALL of the schools in Madison County? Impressive claim.
Capoeira

Richmond, KY

#16 Oct 13, 2009
There is a Capoeira class In Richmond as well. The website is http://www.gbantu.com if you'd like to check it out.
info

Richmond, KY

#17 Oct 13, 2009
Try Premiar Karate Unlimited.It's on the Robert R. Martin bypass by Merle Norman.We've been going for a lil while now and he seems like an awesome teacher.My son loves it and besides,he's not too bad to look at as well.
Del

United States

#18 Oct 14, 2009
info wrote:
Try Premiar Karate Unlimited.It's on the Robert R. Martin bypass by Merle Norman.We've been going for a lil while now and he seems like an awesome teacher.My son loves it and besides,he's not too bad to look at as well.
I've heard good things about it too.
afs

Richmond, KY

#19 Oct 14, 2009
try afs on big hill. do a kickboxing class. if you can make it through the whole class you will probably love it.
afs sorry

Richmond, KY

#20 Oct 14, 2009
sorry... i didn't mean to post my name as afs. its just my suggestion
Thomas

London, KY

#21 Oct 21, 2009
Hey man, I say try each of them and see what works for you.

The Capoeira class is fun, I took it a few semesters ago (it is offered to the community too). It is led by Instructor Perna de Pau from Bantu Beira Mar, he is a good instructor and has a pretty extensive background with Asian and Brazilian martial arts.

Good luck!:)
Richmond School of Karate

Kansas City, KS

#22 Oct 21, 2009
My daughter attends here and loves it! They have a really good anniversary special going on right now. It's $20.09 for one month of classes and includes beginner uniform. They are running this deal to celebrate their 20 years anniversary. They have classes for kids, teenagers and adults! So, try here!!!!
R Campbell

London, KY

#23 Oct 23, 2009
Thanks guys! I am going to try a few of these. A friend of mine is taking Capoeira, so I might check that out Monday.
information

Richmond, KY

#24 Oct 23, 2009
You can also check out Ronin Bushido school of Aikido! They have been in the community longer than any of the schools. They teach Aikido and tai Chi and have a great reputation. They also let you attend your first couple of classes for free!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jordan Bailey ? 1 hr zzzzzzz1 4
What Was Going On Today At Mexican Restruant On... 1 hr dddddddddd2 11
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Ren 174,974
Word Association (Jul '10) 2 hr winner 21,199
Word Association 2 (Aug '14) 2 hr winner 49
Crazy Word Game, Mix or Match (Feb '14) 2 hr winner 512
NEW GAME*****Last Word + 2**** (Aug '15) 2 hr winner 585

Richmond Jobs

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages