Chris Young- Whitehall Principal
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Les

Richmond, KY

#83 Aug 2, 2014
Insider wrote:
Mr. Young is honest, smart and hard working. He did not receive the support he needed. He resigned because he was tired of fighting. He attempted to make some changes in class assignments which would have benefited our kids and which parents have asked for all year. Calls started coming into the Central Office almost immediately complaining. He will be missed. The kids will miss him the most. Everything he did was for the benefit of the kids.
He resigned because he was going to be fired not because he was tired of fighting
Les

Richmond, KY

#84 Aug 2, 2014
a differing opinion wrote:
Chris Young is a very good principal. Shelby County is lucky to have him. I was thrilled to hear that he landed a principal position. We will miss him in Madison County.
Yea right. He "resigned" so he could take a job in Shelby County and you are "thrilled" he is going to be driving an 1 1/2 one way to be an assistant principal not the principal. Heck maybe you could drive him!
a differing opinion

Richmond, KY

#85 Aug 4, 2014
As mentioned up thread, he resigned because a few people in the building did not like the changes he was trying to make. If the Shelby County hiring committee really thought he was a waste of space, they wouldn't have hired him over other qualified candidates. Shelby County is only an hour commute, and the money he will be making more than covers the gas difference. His wife was also offered a position, so we may be losing two good people now. I know I'll be sad to see one or both of them go.
friend

Langley, KY

#86 Aug 5, 2014
I understand he is very happy to be there and they are happy to have him. He was interviewed and hired in a week. There were many other applicants. I guess someone else will have to work out the problems at White Hall. I don't believe everyone outside of the school knows the situation there. It appears to be a problem in the fifth grade only. But, I hope the school comes out of this great. There are many good people at White Hall. Mr. Young is a fine, upstanding young man. He will have a great future wherever he is.
Les

Richmond, KY

#87 Aug 16, 2014
a differing opinion wrote:
As mentioned up thread, he resigned because a few people in the building did not like the changes he was trying to make. If the Shelby County hiring committee really thought he was a waste of space, they wouldn't have hired him over other qualified candidates. Shelby County is only an hour commute, and the money he will be making more than covers the gas difference. His wife was also offered a position, so we may be losing two good people now. I know I'll be sad to see one or both of them go.
He was hired because of his buddy in Frankfort just like he was hired at Whitehall.....POLITICS!
Joe

Richmond, KY

#88 Aug 16, 2014
old friend wrote:
I have known Chris Young since his days at EKU, I promise you he won't be down long. He will take this experience, and turn it into something positive-he is that guy.
He IS NOT A PRINCIPAL. WHY DID HE RESIGN?????
joe

Richmond, KY

#89 Aug 16, 2014
Msfit wrote:
"Richmond" must be a teacher at White Hall. It's too bad that he could not have had some support from his faculty that could have helped make "being a principal" easier. It is a tough job and a thankless job. Let's hope this group will "help" and not "turn" on the next person in this position. White Hall is a wonderful school but the recent events and the continued negativity being spoken out in the community by a group of their employees needs to stop.
Whitehall had an outstanding principal with Mr. Neeley.
jane

Winchester, KY

#90 Aug 17, 2014
There are two teachers who caused all the trouble at White Hall. They and the Central Office have set a precedence for the county. There are good teachers at White Hall, but the fifth grade needs work.

Mr. Neeley was a good principal because he didn't question anything the the teachers did. The teachers can tell you this is true. Mr. Young came in trying to do the right thing, and that didn't go very well. We will miss him very much, but we are extremely happy he got a great job and is very happy. Good for him and his family.
Question

Winchester, KY

#91 Aug 17, 2014
If everyone is so delighted for Mr. Young why in the world don't you let this go? To continue to dredge this up serves no purpose. He is gone and someone else is there. Let the man be gone in peace. Nothing you say will change anything. It is over and done.
Joe

Mckee, KY

#92 Aug 20, 2014
jane wrote:
There are two teachers who caused all the trouble at White Hall. They and the Central Office have set a precedence for the county. There are good teachers at White Hall, but the fifth grade needs work.
Mr. Neeley was a good principal because he didn't question anything the the teachers did. The teachers can tell you this is true. Mr. Young came in trying to do the right thing, and that didn't go very well. We will miss him very much, but we are extremely happy he got a great job and is very happy. Good for him and his family.
What "RIGHT THING" did he try to do???? If he was doing the "RIGHT THING" he would not have had to been forced to resign. So your logic goes like this:

All the other principals in the county are doing the "Wrong Thing" in order to keep their job and keep the teachers happy. ie DOING THE RIGHT THING IS THE WRONG THING!!!
Babylon

Richmond, KY

#93 Aug 20, 2014
Trouble makers' gossiping freaks' do-gooders'- leave the man alone!!!!!
Whitehall Parent X 2

Lexington, KY

#94 Jan 25, 2015
My only issue with Topix is that you are allowed to anonymously post remarks. Regardless of how you feel about Mr. Young, your names should be attached to the comments whether pro or con. It is a cowardly way to pile on and make the issues worse. That being said, my name is Erik Maikkula and we had one daughter at Whitehall from 1st grade to 5th grade. We currently have our youngest daughter there as well. Both have thrived at Whitehall. Cannot be more pleased with their teachers. Everyone of them have been a joy to work with and our daughters loved each one of them. Mr. Neeley and Mr. Young were great to us. I know I am not involved in the day to day operations of the school and my perspective is different from the staff. From my experience, you can find a majority of my peers that will have a positive comments about me. And, you will find a few negatives. I feel Mr. Young was in the same situation. I am not sure if making changes was the way to go or if it was his leadership style, etc. Who knows? It is impossible to please everyone. Whether change was needed or not, it has to be difficult to get everybody on the same page. Every facet of life has people willing to support and/or tear you down. School, church, work, family, etc. etc. You can find the same group dynamics everywhere. My only measuring stick is the end result of our daughters performance. Due to the work of many teachers, our two students, us as parents and Mr. Neeley and Mr. Young, we are very pleased with their school work at Whitehall. I do not buy into the high school principal not being prepared for elementary students theory. Mr. Young is gone and we feel that is a sad event. We know not every person in the school agrees with us, but overall, our experience at Whitehall has been superb. Thank you all Whitehall Staff!!
Joseph123

Richmond, KY

#95 Feb 4, 2016
So NOT send your kids to WhiteHall!!! There are only a handful of good teachers there. The rest are pathetic! Your child will learn nothing if they have Brown, Hutzinger or any of the 5th grade teachers! and dont even get me started on that gym teacher, pretty sure he cant spell his own name
Joseph123

Richmond, KY

#96 Feb 4, 2016
Richmond wrote:
<quoted text>
Many years ago when you graduated from a teaching program you were certified to teach 1-8 that it is no longer the case. One of the reasons that was done is the many curriculum changes and the changing needs of children. It has nothing to do with being comfortable but more to do with doing what you have a firm grasp on. School is not the 3 R's anymore and each grade is very specific in terms of what they need that particular year. Fifth grade does not resesmble the primary and each grade takes a long time to understand that age child and what the curriiculum requires to be taught. This would be like going to an orthopedic specialist that has done nothing but operate on broken bones for 10 years and saying alright I now want you to start operating on peoples hearts. I can assure you they would look at you and say I have no idea where to start. They have perfected their skill and would not know where to start with another area. For every teacher moved after spending years in a particular grade I can assure you the children suffer for the first 1-3 years as they learn the needs, demands, and curriculum of that new level.
This is a fad that will cease because it will be realized it is harmful to kids. The problem with the public understanding that this is a negative thing for children is they still think of school as it was when they were a student and the demands were so much less.

Let me guess, you teach 5th grade at Whitehall?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 7 min Rodney Slone 160,597
Hey Now Hey Now Don't Dream It's Over 11 min Yawn 872
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 33 min Fungail 40,783
How Am I Supposed to Climb The Ladder of Succes... (Nov '14) 50 min postman butters 7,499
Skinny Jeans and you. 2 hr waitingtoclean 1
Anyone here know Angel King? 6 hr bet 4
Dane sadler (Oct '14) 6 hr Pink Princess 6

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages