City Commissioner Salary...Up Nearly ...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jerry

Richmond, KY

#21 Dec 14, 2009
Thier pay was NOT set by state law it IS of thier own doing set by CITY ordinance. You can look it up at www.richmond.ky.gov under city ordinances, that will bring up a pop up that takes you amlegal. com then click on the word contents then click on ordinance 30.03. Bubba must have copied and pasted it because what he says is actually word for word what the city ordinance reads.
Pay cut

Kenai, AK

#22 Dec 14, 2009
jerry wrote:
Thier pay was NOT set by state law it IS of thier own doing set by CITY ordinance. You can look it up at www.richmond.ky.gov under city ordinances, that will bring up a pop up that takes you amlegal. com then click on the word contents then click on ordinance 30.03. Bubba must have copied and pasted it because what he says is actually word for word what the city ordinance reads.
Never said it wasn't. Like I said this is what I was told. I've been trying to look it up and the only thing I can find is that along the lines of the pay can only be set based on something in February.
Single Malt

Berea, KY

#23 Dec 14, 2009
I haven't seen any response to this question: What is an appropriate salary for a commissioner or the mayor in Richmond? Keep in mind the growth in the last 20 years as well as the type of issues they are responsible for.

I'm seeing a lot of "blah blah" but with all the noise you should be able to make a suggestion or recommendation.

Since: Sep 09

Mount Sterling, KY

#24 Dec 14, 2009
Bubba wrote:
It appears the salaries were established by ordinance in 1989 and increase automically each year based on the Consumer Price Index. See the following from the City Ordinances, available on the City web site.
30.03 SALARIES.
(A) That Mayor and City Commissioners shall receive annual salaries of $11,171.68 and $8,378.76 respectively. This new salary rate shall be effective as of January 1, 1990.
(B) All future holders of the offices of Mayor and City Commissioners shall receive an annual salary based on the consumer price index as determined by the Finance and Administration Cabinet, as established herein in division (A).
('79 Code,ยง 2-19)(Ord. 74-24, passed 8-20-74; Am. Ord. 89-61, passed 12-16-89)
See, according to this they don't vote on their salaries, it just goes up each year determined but the consumer price index, which is basically the cost of living increase I'd imagine. And honestly,$11k is probably a fairly small salary for a mayor position in a city the size of Richmond. I made that working weekends only at a Food Lion during my college years.
Serve Not Steal

United States

#25 Dec 14, 2009
Single Malt wrote:
I haven't seen any response to this question: What is an appropriate salary for a commissioner or the mayor in Richmond? Keep in mind the growth in the last 20 years as well as the type of issues they are responsible for.
I'm seeing a lot of "blah blah" but with all the noise you should be able to make a suggestion or recommendation.
Let's see, they meet, what, twice a month for their little televised meetings to say "yes," "yes," "yes," "yes."

They are making around $1500 a meeting now. I say $10 per meeting should suffice. Add another $60 a year for their other little duties and so that fat f*ck can get him a couple tubs of ice cream. So, I would say $300 a year should be a fair pay.

Seriously, I would gladly serve the community as commissioner without a dime of pay. Like most of them, I don't need the money and would rather it go to better the lives of those in the community who need it.Folks, if the mayor and commissioners refused a salary, you are looking at nearly $200,000 a year that could go to better Richmond.

Since: Sep 09

Mount Sterling, KY

#26 Dec 14, 2009
Serve Not Steal wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see, they meet, what, twice a month for their little televised meetings to say "yes," "yes," "yes," "yes."
They are making around $1500 a meeting now. I say $10 per meeting should suffice. Add another $60 a year for their other little duties and so that fat f*ck can get him a couple tubs of ice cream. So, I would say $300 a year should be a fair pay.
Seriously, I would gladly serve the community as commissioner without a dime of pay. Like most of them, I don't need the money and would rather it go to better the lives of those in the community who need it.Folks, if the mayor and commissioners refused a salary, you are looking at nearly $200,000 a year that could go to better Richmond.
Yeah yeah yeah. The same crap people say every single year and funny how none of these "better than thou" types never run for the office and refuse the pay.

Any idea how much crap these people put up with and have to deal with? Yeah they may only meet 2 times a month or whatever but that doesn't mean their not working on it in between those. You know, at some point that have to prepare all that stuff they all say "yes yes yes" to, as you put it. There is no way I'd be mayor of this crappy, bitchy town for the 15k or whatever they are getting. You can easily make that at any other job and not have any of the stress or obligations that they do.
jerry

Richmond, KY

#27 Dec 14, 2009
MDG 61 wrote:
<quoted text>
See, according to this they don't vote on their salaries, it just goes up each year determined but the consumer price index, which is basically the cost of living increase I'd imagine. And honestly,$11k is probably a fairly small salary for a mayor position in a city the size of Richmond. I made that working weekends only at a Food Lion during my college years.
They passed it in 1989 so they wouldn't have to vote on it ever year. If they are giving themselfs yearly raises then why the h#ll isn't the city workers getting one every year? They should have to give back every raise they got in the years that the city's employees didn't get a raise. If they can pass ordinance 30.03 for themselfs to get raises annually then they should have passed one that would have given all city workers the same raise. This just proves they don't give a [email protected] about the city just THEMSELFS!!
Single Malt

Berea, KY

#28 Dec 14, 2009
MDG 61 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah yeah yeah. The same crap people say every single year and funny how none of these "better than thou" types never run for the office and refuse the pay.
Any idea how much crap these people put up with and have to deal with? Yeah they may only meet 2 times a month or whatever but that doesn't mean their not working on it in between those. You know, at some point that have to prepare all that stuff they all say "yes yes yes" to, as you put it. There is no way I'd be mayor of this crappy, bitchy town for the 15k or whatever they are getting. You can easily make that at any other job and not have any of the stress or obligations that they do.
Couldn't say it any better than that. There seem to be a lot of people on Topix with all of the answers but you just don't see them stepping up to the plate.
doolittle

Anderson, SC

#29 Dec 14, 2009
Vote Em Out wrote:
When I first moved to Richmond in the late eighties, early nineties, salary for the PART-TIME commissioner duties was around $3,000. From what I understand, after voting themselves numerous pay increases, these thieves now have salaries on excess of $30,000. That's more than a 900% increase. Folks, why do we stand for such criminality??? People are hurting financially, yet these bastards continue to steal from us. The only recourse we have is to vote them out...Otherwise they will continue to rape us! Vote these crooks... Strong, Blythe, Brewer, Lawson... ALL of them... Out of Public Office. City hallthere has turned into a den of thieves! These four people should be in a jail cell!!!
there are four commisisoers you dummy Lawson is Mayor you dummy Rita is commis.
Jetstream

United States

#30 Dec 15, 2009
Nobody should get a raise when they can't do their job/s......like the Commissioners/Mayor are doing.

Their "scheduled" raises are apparently not merit-based.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Family means nithing 11 min Anne 4
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 28 min ChromiuMan 149,642
with ME it's all or NOTHING 1 hr translation 6
Double Letter Game (Mar '12) 1 hr Jennifer Renee 1,023
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 1 hr Jennifer Renee 38,247
Cheating husbands 6 hr yo yo 17
My Plans For Today 9 hr BackInBlack 389
The Last Thing I Need You To Know 11 hr CertifiedGandBona... 34

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages