student

Mckee, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

So how hard is it to get into EKU's nursing program??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
info

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

student wrote:
So how hard is it to get into EKU's nursing program??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
http://www.undergradstudies.eku.edu/catalog/2...

The requirements are on page 6. It is pretty competitive because of the number of applications received vs. the number of spots available.
ABXD

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

student wrote:
It is a great program and very respected but it is also a very hard program. The instructors take great pride in seeing people fail and in saying they produce the number one nurses in the state. While that may be true my advice would be to get your degree from another institution. All programs are hard but some do have a heart and want you to succeed. When you graduate all students take the same national boards so why work yourself to death and possibly fail when you will get a job once you pass national boards as quickly as an EKU grad. Five years from now not one soul will care that a degree came from EKU.
wondering

Irvine, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2011

Is it possible to get into the program if your GPA is 2.8? From an associate degree in general studies. Do they use a points system on some courses, like math and nutrition class? I got A's in both of those.

“Fighting Cancer”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2011

I took some of my GEN ED classes with nursing students, and I have no clue how they could do it! They have totally earned my respect!
Marnie

Cynthiana, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2011

wondering wrote:
Is it possible to get into the program if your GPA is 2.8? From an associate degree in general studies. Do they use a points system on some courses, like math and nutrition class? I got A's in both of those.
Highly unlikely you will get in with a 2.8. Try somewhere else. You will be better off unless you want to be treated like a dog.
Oghala

Lagos, Nigeria

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2011

How can one check her nursing common entrance examination result, can it be ckeched online and how will she know when she gain admission
Question

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2011

My daughter was accepted into this program for fall. They took her high school GPA, her ACT and had her take a special test to give her a chance to make sure she ranked high enough on the blended score. Her HS GPA was 4.8 (with AP courses) and had a high ACT. They sent her to some kind of "High Achiever Orientation" rather than the general orientation. It appears as though they have raised their academic standards to make it more difficult.
Davidmackv

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2011

Go to Morehead State or UK. They care about you and not NCLEX numbers. EKU will fail you.
Right Thing

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2011

This is what I would suggest,meet with an academic advisor first of all.I've been told that the
competition is really tough right now,however it's
Pretty much always been that way.Maybe you could take some more pre requisition classes &
bring your GPA up to A 3.0.Another option is the
4 yr. program at any of the universities are not
nearly as demanding as the 2 yr. program.Best of Everything!
kristin

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2011

How do I get started??
Really

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2011

Judged:

Please God don't let me ever be in the hospital with a nurse from an institution with low standards!!! EKU is hard because it should be. Hello?!? People's lives will be in your hands. Do you really want subpar preparation?
Sue

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2011

Judged:

Really wrote:
Please God don't let me ever be in the hospital with a nurse from an institution with low standards!!! EKU is hard because it should be. Hello?!? People's lives will be in your hands. Do you really want subpar preparation?
You are not informed. Everyone regardless of where they graduate in the state of Kentucky takes the same boards. If you pass you get a license, if you don't pass you don't get a license. As for working, there are good and bad in this profession as there are in all professions. With the anticipated shortage by 2020 you will be happy to see anybody standing over you, whether they are from EKU or Poodunk holler.
Really

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2011

Judged:

Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not informed. Everyone regardless of where they graduate in the state of Kentucky takes the same boards. If you pass you get a license, if you don't pass you don't get a license. As for working, there are good and bad in this profession as there are in all professions. With the anticipated shortage by 2020 you will be happy to see anybody standing over you, whether they are from EKU or Poodunk holler.
That was not my point. My point was that I would prefer a nurse who went through a tough program and survived rather than somebody who slacked through an 'easy' program and made it. That being said, nursing is hard anywhere but I'll still take an EKU nurse over anybody else any day. Just my opinion.
Sue

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Really wrote:
<quoted text>
That was not my point. My point was that I would prefer a nurse who went through a tough program and survived rather than somebody who slacked through an 'easy' program and made it. That being said, nursing is hard anywhere but I'll still take an EKU nurse over anybody else any day. Just my opinion.
We would all prefer the best but that is not always possible. I am sure the individual who lays down for surgery never realizes that some surgeon was a repeater in class. They want to believe they have the best but that is not necessarily true. Nursing is the hardest job on this earth and there is not easy program. Granted every program is not as hard as EKU but EKU can't supply the nurses needed for this entire state. Again I say if you don't pass the same boards everyone takes you don't practice.
Right Thing

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

What everyone needs to do then is check the stats because I know of nurses who are practicing today that have failed out of other nursing programs but passed EKU.The other issue I have is there have been some nurses fail out of two year programs including EKU two year program but made it through their four year program.
Virgo

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2011

I heard it was the gay lesbian mafia running the program.
lamuress

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Try finishing the final in 4th level to be denied to sit in on the RN boards. Now I am paying $5000 student loan back for a degree I was denied of. Absolutely positively the nastiest, meanest and most vile things..they can and will do them. I will NEVER take another class or recommend that school to anyone. If you remember that director/chair Pat, she's the one. Totally unnecessary and they owe me a great big apology...
lamuress

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Matter of fact, they can be my guest and pay this student loan off for me...unless of course I am supposed to be grateful to have been in the presence of such GREAT KIND NURSES....
Truth

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

lamuress wrote:
Try finishing the final in 4th level to be denied to sit in on the RN boards. Now I am paying $5000 student loan back for a degree I was denied of. Absolutely positively the nastiest, meanest and most vile things..they can and will do them. I will NEVER take another class or recommend that school to anyone. If you remember that director/chair Pat, she's the one. Totally unnecessary and they owe me a great big apology...
What's the reason for the denial?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of56
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

102 Users are viewing the Richmond Forum right now

Search the Richmond Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 13 min greggg hobby 16,068
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 16 min ChromiuMan 122,724
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 17 min hum 81,200
Word Association (Jul '10) 20 min Jennifer Renee 17,285
Add a Word, Drop a Word (Sep '11) 21 min Jennifer Renee 15,048
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 24 min Jennifer Renee 26,770
child visitation 29 min john 3
•••
•••
•••
Richmond Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••