Ashamed

Versailles, KY

#1 May 1, 2013
Where are all the gun advocate people now, after a 5 year old boy accidently shot and killed his 2 year old sister with the rifle he received as a GIFT when he was a FOUR YEAR OLD?? Who in their right mind buys a rifle for a FOUR YEAR OLD. I don't CARE if it was a Cricket rifle for kids! It's still a RIFLE! This made local as well as NATIONAL news. Makes us Kentuckians just keep looking backwards as hell.
Ashamed

Versailles, KY

#2 May 2, 2013
Ashamed wrote:
Where are all the gun advocate people now, after a 5 year old boy accidently shot and killed his 2 year old sister with the rifle he received as a GIFT when he was a FOUR YEAR OLD?? Who in their right mind buys a rifle for a FOUR YEAR OLD. I don't CARE if it was a Cricket rifle for kids! It's still a RIFLE! This made local as well as NATIONAL news. Makes us Kentuckians just keep looking backwards as hell.
Yeah. Kind of what I thought. No response. Guess ya'll are in shock? If not, need to be.
gator

Richmond, KY

#3 May 2, 2013
I'm in shock that guns are packaged now, and marketed for the kids. Real guns.

Not BB guns. Yikes.
question

Nicholasville, KY

#4 May 2, 2013
Do all gun bullies like to play in shit?
sigh

Versailles, KY

#5 May 2, 2013
The gun in question wouldn't have been banned under any of the proposed legislation, it was a single shot .22 LR. Short of banning anything more powerful than BB guns, I don't know what could have prevented the stupidity of the people involved allowing a 5 y/o kid to get his paws on a gun.
Responsible Gun Owner

Richmond, KY

#8 May 3, 2013
Ashamed wrote:
This is a terrible tragedy and the family has my prayers.

However, a gun did not cause this incident. A negligent parent/guardian did.

I know many kids who were/are introduced - responsibly - to firearms at a young age, primarily to prevent this very sort of incident in the future though lessons in gun safety and training. That is not, however, to say that a child of such early age was anywhere near ready to have access to a loaded gun unsupervised. That determination should have been made by the parent/guardian.

A child can harm themselves or another child easily with any number of household items besides guns; the key is securing or storing those items where they are not a threat, until the children are old enough to be taught (and to grasp the importance of) how to behave around them and to responsibly use them.

Would you ban stairs or second floors? How about kitchen/bathroom cleaners? Shall we ban anything that generates heat or flame (stove, matches, lighters, candles, electric lamps)? Perhaps outlaw anything small enough to choke on? Will we be prohibiting any water-bearing structures (like sinks, tubs and pools)? After all, these are the top 5 leading causes of death among children in this country!

What about some of the runners-up (in no particular order): Sharp kitchen utensils? Broomsticks? Lawnmowers? Tools? Cars entering/leaving driveways? Shall we ban them too?

Why ever not, when countless people, even children, have been hurt or killed by these things throughout the history of their existence? All totaled

No, silly, you would put them away, secure them.

Same goes for guns and ammo,(which, by the way, didn't even make the top 10 list cited above, which was taken from statistics collected by the NIH & Home Safety Council).

The real questions here:

-How did the child get access to a loaded weapon without an adult in close attendance and direct supervision?

-Why didn't an adult remove and secure the ammunition after any use?

-If the home had no gun cabinet or safe, why were no trigger locks employed?
The one

Richmond, KY

#9 May 3, 2013
I have excellent gun control ? I always hit where I am aiming !!
Homer

Tucker, GA

#10 May 3, 2013
Gun control means responsible adults/parents locking up every firearm they own until the child can shoot under adult supervision.

Now "stupidity control" is a whole other conversation.
Joe the taxpayer

Richmond, KY

#11 May 22, 2013
Gun control.Hitting what you aim at.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sara Habel (Aug '10) 35 min Camp 15
Cheating Spouses 41 min Thatsme 2
Jamie Hoevenaar 1 hr Curious 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Patriot 166,315
Friendship 2 hr First Thought 4
A Trip To Stately Wayne Manor and Fisherman's W... 3 hr MonsterSmash 668
Removal of statute 3 hr biter 14
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 4 hr Doobie Time 42,259

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages