Why Do Blacks Say "Axe" Instead of "A...

Why Do Blacks Say "Axe" Instead of "Ask"?

Posted in the Richmond Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
You Swing an Axe

Pflugerville, TX

#1 Jun 26, 2011
This is not to be a diss of black people, just something I have wondered for so long.

It is not just uneducated blacks who say this, but very prominent, very educated people as well. Tubby Smith says it, as do many other black professionals.

You know that they understand that the word is "ask," not "axe."

Whites do not misuse the word in this manner. I would love to know where this comes from. Again, no slight at all on blacks, just curious.

I am just "asking" the question,
Jerry

Richmond, KY

#2 Jun 26, 2011
I have often axed the same querston in my mind.
Sarah

United States

#3 Jun 26, 2011
Apparently you misheard! It's not "axe" it's more like "ase" or "ass". A lot of white people have certain ways to pronounce words too. Please, whether you meant to diss blacks or not, you've just opened another spot for whites to degrade blacks! Thanks!
well

Ironton, OH

#4 Jun 26, 2011
I'm white and honestly I've always had difficulty saying 'ask'. I was even in speech therapy in elementary school because combinations 'sk','sp', and 'th' were almost impossible for me to pronounce. I have to enunciate still to say 'ask' properly.

Just wanted to offer a different perspective on it.
well

Richmond, KY

#5 Jun 26, 2011
I think it has more to do with dialect than anything else. Whether it is regional or ethnic dialect, people tend to repeat what they heard throughout their life. If you mom always mispronounces a word, chances are you will continue to do it unless you spend a significant amount of time retraining yourself. Since most of us don't necessarily stop to think about what we are going to say before we speak it, the "natural" pronunciation of a word tends to be spoken whether it is the proper pronunciation or not. My father did not pronounce a lot of words correctly and I think the only reason I didn't carry the tradition is because I went to a private school and wasn't exposed to his dialect anywhere but from him.
Dr Bill Cosby

Pflugerville, TX

#6 Jun 26, 2011
Sarah wrote:
Apparently you misheard! It's not "axe" it's more like "ase" or "ass". A lot of white people have certain ways to pronounce words too. Please, whether you meant to diss blacks or not, you've just opened another spot for whites to degrade blacks! Thanks!
Incorrect. It is "axe." A good majority of blacks, both educated and otherwise, say this. I figured it was just what they heard growing up. I just can't figure out why educated blacks wouldn't consciously make the change to the correct way of saying the word.

“JoJo's In The House...”

Since: Apr 11

Be Careful What You Wish For..

#7 Jun 26, 2011
OMG...Axe...I think you're trying to be funny or something, whatever name you use...Next time you're around a black person (if ever) listen carefully...It's not AXE they're saying...It's like Sarah said...It's more like ASS me not AXE me...LMMFMAO...
Actually

Richmond, KY

#8 Jun 26, 2011
I've heard it both ways...both "axe" and "ass",as well as "ast"...but I've also heard it pronounced correctly...I've also heard white people say it those ways too...it's not just a "black" thing...
Crazy

Lexington, KY

#9 Jun 26, 2011
It's not a demographic problem or a racial problem. It's tied to speech.
Wierd

Seattle, WA

#10 Jun 26, 2011
The same reason they say pouncil instead of pencil.
Can I AXE you a question

Richmond, KY

#11 Jun 26, 2011
It's obviously AXE because there is a well-known comedian (Zach Galifianakis) who jokes about living in a black neighborhood where everyone wears ASK Body Spray....
Kind of like how white people say "aunt" as "ant" and blacks say "ont."
Soul Sister

United States

#12 Jun 26, 2011
Can I axe you a question? Why don't you walk up to a black person and axe them to their face how they pronounce ask? I didn't think so. It's easy to get on this rag and run your mouth. That's about all you're good for. Just walk up to a black stranger and ask. I dare you. Lmao!
also

Richmond, KY

#13 Jun 26, 2011
They also pronounce Ridiculous, as
"re-dick-ah-luss". Why is that? Just a tip, it's pronounced re-dick-YOU-luss.
okk

United States

#14 Jun 26, 2011
Soul Sister wrote:
Can I axe you a question? Why don't you walk up to a black person and axe them to their face how they pronounce ask? I didn't think so. It's easy to get on this rag and run your mouth. That's about all you're good for. Just walk up to a black stranger and ask. I dare you. Lmao!
ok sousta can i get a qauta and can i axe if you mind saying ask for me
redneck

Richmond, KY

#15 Jun 26, 2011
My mom says plasCiT instead of plasTiC. It drives me nuts. She's white so I'm not dissing blacks. Just saying. I have a lot of redneck family that says axe instead of ask too. They are all white. It's annoying no matter which race is doing it. Stop being lazy and pronounce your words people!
Soul Sister

United States

#16 Jun 26, 2011
What the h3ll are you trying to say, okk? You may have it in your head, but it's not coming out in type. Perhaps you're trying to type "sista" and "quarta"? Lmao
Blacks say Axe I say Ask

United States

#17 Jun 26, 2011
People, quit trying to say blacks don't say "axe."
I have personally talked to blacks in professional jobs that clearly said "axe." They pronounce it "axe," people. Like the previous poster said, they just need to quit being lazy and pronounce it correctly.
Soul Sister

United States

#18 Jun 26, 2011
Well little crybaby, If you don't like the way they pronounce their words, then don't listen. I really don't think you know how to pronounce the word "axe"!
Kentuckeisha Jones

Spring Hill, FL

#19 Jun 26, 2011
it roots back 2 the southern slave owners who were of mostly irish & scottish heritage, they taught their slaves english in their dialect. it was mixed with the mainstream african-american dialect of the US south and has been passed down 6 generations.
yea

Mckee, KY

#20 Jun 26, 2011
Hey soul sista, I will get up in your grille and axe you anything I want to. Do you feel me? Hows your baby daddy doing?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 min Bigelow 160,760
Hey Now Hey Now Don't Dream It's Over 42 min Like Cats Eyes 925
Missing teen girl in Berea (Jun '13) 1 hr Justice 8,134
anonymous tips to police (Jul '13) 2 hr anonymous tips to... 41
Sidelines restaurant (Feb '16) 2 hr jim 50
Oh yummy 3 hr Mike Brewer 3
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 3 hr Mee 40,821

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages