Why teachers are leaving the profession

Since: Dec 10

louisville, ky

#82 Dec 16, 2012
With what teachers are paid and the obvious situations that are happening in schools...it just isn't worth it. Most teachers I know don't do their job because they're gonna be wealthy someday, they love what they do...used to see kids separated for fist fighting...those days are pretty much gone.
Bubba

Richmond, KY

#83 Dec 17, 2012
You need to watch "Waiting for Superman" there are plenty of examples of your Urban legend. Take a look at some of the loser teachers that were continued to allow to teach.

If memory serves me (and it does) there were two male teachers that had sexual affairs with high school students in the early to mid 1980's at Madison Central that weren't fired.

There was a coach and a teacher that were screwing around at Madison Middle. Thee coach and teacher decided to make a porn on a school video camera. A student stole the camera and tried to blackmail the principal and the coach. They tried to run over the student. Both got to continue to teach although one was promoted and one transferred.

Plenty more examples.. Hell name one teacher that has been truly fired for poor performance as of late?
The Real Truth-T wrote:
The "un-fireable" teacher is a thing of urban legend and urban myth. Teacher's are forced out of districts for:
- not coaching winning teams but mentoring kids to be better citizens
- standing their ground on student grades
- Disagreeing with parents or administration
- Running strict classrooms
- because a school board's relative wants that position
.... I could go on...
I've never seen teachers fired for...
- giving grades that were inflated
- going along with whatever a parent complains about
- going along with every new idea the BOE or admin. comes down the pike with
- letting kids off the hook for discipline issues.
Bottom line about firing any teacher (if it needs to happen) is
- documentation
- giving that teacher reasonable measurable steps to correct the situation
- following through
This is all outlined in the contract. This procedure is misused and abused by both sides.
Just like any other large organization out there. Welcome to life.
The Real Truth-T

Cincinnati, OH

#84 Dec 17, 2012
Then you need to take that to the administration and your >elected< BOE.

There are 26,407 high school in the U.S. which would be over 2,500,000 staff members. Sure you're going to have bad employees, but sweeping them all into some pile of people who do not care and are "Going to be wealth" is a non-productive generalization.

"Platinum Plus" - How do you define "Wealthy"
Hung Lo

Richmond, KY

#85 Dec 17, 2012
This is Hung Lo from the Chinese Restaurant.

I agree with Platimum Plus. We need to separate the children. The normal ones should be separated from the retarded people. Hung Lo remembers when mentally and physically handicapped people were put on special busses and went to special schools. No problems back then. How you say, those were the good old days.

Bring the good old days back.

Platinum Plus, I like you. Come by my Chinese Restaurant. You come by and I let you eat my big egg roll. I add the special sauce just for you. You pretty American Sexy Lady.
platinum plus wrote:
With what teachers are paid and the obvious situations that are happening in schools...it just isn't worth it. Most teachers I know don't do their job because they're gonna be wealthy someday, they love what they do...used to see kids separated for fist fighting...those days are pretty much gone.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#86 Jan 4, 2013
The problem is that the parents act just like their kids. They call it Generation Y for some reason. I think it is because of the Y crack you see in their tails when they all walk around without pulling up their pants.Unless everyone is going to be plumbers I think that this is inappropriate and they need belts myself. The me generation is raising the me me me generation so let's give them all rewards, A's and call it being special for having lots of fun and having the right to grow up and be know it alls without reading a book in their lives and running good teachers out of the professions. Really who is going to go in debt to go into education in the future if something doesn't drastically change? For the abuse maybe???

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#87 Jan 4, 2013
The sad fact is the parents act like or worse than the kids. It is called the Y Generation for some reason. I think it is because of the Y in the tails of students that refuse to pull up their pants and get away with it. It is the me generation raising the me, me, me generation that includes being very being rude, selfish and demanding rewards and A's for Anything. I phones in hand and while clicking their pierced tongues is now the new norm. It will only get worse when they go out to get a job and the only thing they know is how to mouth off,complain and demand respect for being unique. Don't worry parents you will have to live with these kids for a long time most will not be moving out any time soon. Really who will go in debt and go into education in the future and for what purpose? For the respect and teacher torture sessions? I don't think so!
Ten Grand a Year per kid

United States

#88 Jan 5, 2013
Let's pray for a peaceful 2013. Let's be accountable for disciplining our children. Let's bear witness to the horrors of violence, waste and deception that taint our schools. There was a time when all kids (rich, poor, mentally challenged, white, brown, blue) were expected to behave and work hard. That got Americans on the moon and money in people's pockets. School board, please investigate the institutions you are funding! Teachers, stop taking crap from future food stamp recipients who won't even be bothered to put away their cell phone! Admininstrators, do your job and stop worrying about losing it!
atheist

London, KY

#89 Jan 7, 2013
Everything you said is the truth.
Old Nick wrote:
Teachers are leaving because of the parents. Most parents these days are awful. They expect teachers to raise their kids for them, and when you call home and tell them their kids are misbehaving or something else, they get all mad and refuse to believe it, or they blame the teacher for their children's failings. Screw that. I got damn sick and tired of rationalizing and explaining to parents why their kid was failing my class. It's not my damn fault your kid doesn't study or turn in his homework. I'm certainly not going to pass them if they don't do the work.
So, they complain to the principal. And instead of backing ME up and explaining that yes, children have to study and do homework, I get in trouble for your inability to parent your child.
If parents these days gave a shit about their child's education, they would actually help their children study and learn, like my parents did back when I was a kid. Now, some parents do still do this, and they have good kids. Inevitably, it's the kids that were just parked in front of a TV their whole damn life that are the worst kids. If you want to do your kid a favor, turn off the TV and read a book together.
The Real Truth-T

Dayton, OH

#90 Jan 7, 2013
and.... Think about it.

There has never been a time where students had more resources and access to information and tools to do their work

There has never been a time where parents could see week by week, day by day how their kids are progressing, working (or not)

There has never been a time when it was easier to look at what your child is doing and communicate at YOUR convenience with the staff (PHone, voice mail, cell phone, e-mail, other web based methods)

And yet, when I look at how many parents check into look at their student's work, grades etc... There are few and it is seldom. Out system can even be set to send you an alert directly if Johnny or Susie miss an assignment or score below a certain percentage.(God forbid you ask to see their work and talk to them about it)

Yet, when Johnny or Susie says they didn't do it because they forgot, didn't understand, were confused ( you name it) well it must be true.

If you go by what my students tell their parents and me, I've lost about 423 assignments they "handed in" even though I post it online received/missing with in hours if not minutes of receiving it.

Wake up parents, you are digging a hole for yourself and your children by enabling them in this way. Their employers will not pay them for this level of productivity, but you're leading them to believe it is acceptable.

If you disagree, fine. Take a second and look over toward your couch, your TV and your Frig. because that's where their lazy heads and butts are going to be for the next 20 years on your dime.
Always a shock

United States

#91 Jan 8, 2013
Parents, if you want to see your tax and cell phone dollars at waste, check your kids' usage times by going online. Call your cell phone provider if you don't know how. Interestingly, most parents assume the phones are being used for emergencies,while most kids think it is their right to entertain themselves (and leave the room to respond to some emergency!) while their paid teacher is trying to explain assignments, skills and life rules to them. Very few assignments are done with the phones and fewer are done because of them. See how far your thumbs get you in a career or higher ed!
The Real Truth-T

Dayton, OH

#92 Jan 8, 2013
Always a shock wrote:
Parents, if you want to see your tax and cell phone dollars at waste, check your kids' usage times by going online. Call your cell phone provider if you don't know how. Interestingly, most parents assume the phones are being used for emergencies,while most kids think it is their right to entertain themselves (and leave the room to respond to some emergency!) while their paid teacher is trying to explain assignments, skills and life rules to them. Very few assignments are done with the phones and fewer are done because of them. See how far your thumbs get you in a career or higher ed!
Yup..... Do you want me to spend time telling Jr. To put his phone away, taking his phone or teaching? Better yet, maybe you've got one of the good kids. How much of your tax dollars and your child's educational time do you want us to waste on the other kids?
The Real Truth-T

Dayton, OH

#93 Jan 8, 2013
Bubba wrote:
You need to watch "Waiting for Superman" there are plenty of examples of your Urban legend. Take a look at some of the loser teachers that were continued to allow to teach.
If memory serves me (and it does) there were two male teachers that had sexual affairs with high school students in the early to mid 1980's at Madison Central that weren't fired.
There was a coach and a teacher that were screwing around at Madison Middle. Thee coach and teacher decided to make a porn on a school video camera. A student stole the camera and tried to blackmail the principal and the coach. They tried to run over the student. Both got to continue to teach although one was promoted and one transferred.
Plenty more examples.. Hell name one teacher that has been truly fired for poor performance as of late?
<quoted text>
I can edit too. Give me a go at the footage and I'll have crying at how rough the teachers have it... while flawed, the problems with education are systemic first, personnel second...
whaaat

Richmond, KY

#94 Jan 11, 2013
useless wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the attempt being made is to explain to the public the deplorable state of public education. I love the children and am very greatful for a job but it is a sad time for America and the schools are just one example..
Maybe if the public education system - namely, the Science classes - actually taught facts instead of someone else's bogus religion, some people might take the Public Schools a bit more seriously.

There are some great teachers in the public system, and there are some total tools as well. I'm sorry that a lot of them get some rotten ass kids - but I'm more sorry that a lot of those kids get rotten ass teachers.

Parents should pull their kids from the schools and teach them their selves - with the unemployment rate as high as it is, there's no damn reason why parents shouldn't be teaching their own kids.
whaaat

Richmond, KY

#95 Jan 11, 2013
...and yes, I understand there are some sorry ass parents out there.

If you believe in Evolution, how can you disagree with me? It's survival of the fittest at it's finest.

If you're a Creationist, how can you disagree with me? Parents are to be accountable for raising their own children instead of sending them off for 8 hours a day to let someone else raise them.

Not to mention my own tax dollars being wasted on a bunch of damn mongrels who are only adding to the criminal statistic. If you're letting your kid be a stupid-ass...do it on your own dime, and stop using mine.
PANTERA

Booneville, KY

#96 Jan 14, 2013
This is why teachers are leaving the profession. Hooking up with students is generally frowned upon. hazard-herald.com/bookmark/21408416
The Real Truth-T

Dayton, OH

#97 Jan 15, 2013
Article means nothing. Parental concerns for our Girls BB coach was that their girls didn't get enough playing time, or he didn't run the game the way they saw fit....

There are almost 4 million teachers teaching 55 million+ students each day. They spend 1,913 hours a year on their work, just below the national average of 1,932 hours for all workers

And yet, as usual all people want to point out is the suggestion of a little dirt or gossip....
bw3rt

London, KY

#98 Jan 15, 2013
Most teachers don't "hook up" with students, so your point is retarded.
PANTERA wrote:
This is why teachers are leaving the profession. Hooking up with students is generally frowned upon. hazard-herald.com/bookmark/21408416

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#99 Jan 29, 2013
I think the solution to all of this must be to bring teachers from other countries who can't even speak English to teach our kids so here is to alternate certifications in the great US of A.
Libertarian

Paducah, KY

#100 Jan 29, 2013
I don't have children. I paid school taxes out the yazoo all my life to pay for educating other people's brats. I don't think that there should even be tax supported schools for you people to argue about.
yep

Ashland, KY

#101 Jan 29, 2013
Libertarian wrote:
I don't have children. I paid school taxes out the yazoo all my life to pay for educating other people's brats. I don't think that there should even be tax supported schools for you people to argue about.
Great then your taxes can pay for the detention centers for the unemployed and uneducated who look for alternate means to support their families that are usually illegal. Get ready because it costs much more to jail a person for a year than it cost to pay a teacher's salary. However, I'm sure most do not understand the concept of this. Walk a mile in my moccasins before you judge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Trip To Stately Wayne Manor and Fisherman's W... 38 min Not Over Til Gone 2,284
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr shine 168,968
3 bedroom house 4 hr Wish I Had Bought... 13
Doctor 7 hr Beautiful 4
Old CVS building 7 hr Beautiful 9
Prostitutes 8 hr New to town 1
Thief ALERT & Home Invasion Lombardy/Ballard.Ro... 10 hr Mark 8

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages