Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Read more: The Courier-Journal 135,614

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Read more

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#135814 Aug 12, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
Do most self proclaimed Christians have enough faith to follow the teaching of Jesus? How many here turn the other cheek? Conservative "Christians" as they call themselves are OT eye for an eye.
Some self proclaimed Christians here openly accuse most claimed Christians as not being real Christians.
But I wish to point out once again, even though you ignore it, atheists can simply disbelieve in a supreme being.
a-the-ist
[ey-thee-ist] Spell Syllables
Synonyms
Examples
Word Origin
noun
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
The Bible tells fundies it is good to believe in things that aren't there. Apparently that spills over into encyclopedia entries, scientific studies and dictionary definitions.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#135815 Aug 12, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion....ok but not Christianity.
The evidence from those that make up religion, it's true. It seems we are saying the same thing. There was a recent case of a Christian man married to a woman. The woman's family was Muslim. I didn't note the case well but I believe her mother became a Christian and she too chose to become a Christian but the country had her a Muslim because the father and family were Muslim. Her country wanted to charge her with apostasy (I believe) and kill her. With Christianity, being born into a Christian family will not make you a Christian. It is not about familiarity and many people from different religions accept Jesus (Christianity), eventhough they grew up learning something different. Again, those that grew up familiar with Christianity are not Christians until they accept Jesus Christ. To fairly state, there are those who choose not to be a Christian though it is familiar.
It's true, religion is taught.
All you showed was how some foreign countries are less tolerant of religious freedom, and the allowance to marry in mixed marriages by religion.
That has nothing to do with the post you responded to.
Children of Christians are 80% likely to follow Christianity. Its pretty much the same with all religions in general. It is clearly not due to any holy ghosts or truths. It is clearly the natural instinct to follow the parent.
Children who did not follow the parent as we evolved, were likely to die and thus not pass on their genes. Thus the instinct to follow the parent is what stuck.
AAA

Bowling Green, KY

#135816 Aug 12, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
a-the-ist
[ey-thee-ist] Spell Syllables
Synonyms
Examples
Word Origin
noun
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
So, are you still confused as to how you wish to be labeled?
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>When did I say "there is no god"!
Can you prove there is a god? If not, then what are you doing here?
You're not the only one on here who claim to be atheist,, but leave the door open that there could be a god!
Another self proclaimed atheist on here even thinks there is a god, just not the God of the Bible!!!
If you all are so confused about if there is or isn't a God, god, or gods, why should anyone believe your evolution scheme?? In all actuality you can't believe your own evolution pitch,, if you're leaving the God door open!!

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#135817 Aug 12, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text> Some believers reject the indoctrination of rejecting science. I think you are one that does reject science due to indoctrination, and your post here is strong evidence of that.
Why would anyone expect evolution or science to answer all questions? The bible does not answer a lot of questions about heaven, and earth. Most of the answers it gives are supported by evidence. So really they are just claims, not answers.
You can say science shows evidence of a god, but it is certainly not what science agrees with. It is not what the courts agree with, and that is why ID cannot be taught in public schools.
You are clearly no scientist. So I have no reason to believe you have some good insight of what the evidence says. You do not even understand the concept of a scientific theory, as with most every creationist I ever spoke to. You reject what you clearly do not understand.
That is exactly my point, evolution or science does not answer all questions.
The Bible answers every question one needs to know about receiving 'life'...in every sense of the word.

Your thinking in regards to my rejecting science is simply not the case...I do not reject science. I reject some of what is use to say science proves it, when it does not.

Are you a scientist? You don't seem to be either, thus you should reason also that you have no good insight as to what the evidence says...correct? I believe in creation as God says it happened, not that I am a majored creationist. What I do not know or understand, I research and find out; then test, and make or reserve a decision.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#135818 Aug 12, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is exactly my point, evolution or science does not answer all questions.
The Bible answers every question one needs to know about receiving 'life'...in every sense of the word.
Anyone can provide answers; backing up those answers is the hard part. The Bible doesn't do that.

Location hidden

#135819 Aug 12, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You did more than ask questions, you made claims. And now you act as if you did not. I do not expect you to try to defend your claims. It is typical of believers to run from defending claims.
I am simply asking a question about your claim. When you ask questions, is that a "tactic"?
Again, you claimed it would be important to know when the first teachings in public schools took place after the ruling to allow it. I see no importance in this knowledge, and you cannot show any. So you actually answered my question. There is no importance in this information.
I asked about what I caught at the end of a program and shared the little I heard; hoping someone here might have more information, so I could try to locate the program to watch in its entirety. It's plain and no claim was made regarding this. I asked if anyone knew when the theory of evolution was first taught in the public schools...and that is a question, not a claim. I heard somethings that peaked my interest and wanted to get the full story...the end.

Location hidden

#135820 Aug 12, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You say this as if no Christian parents put unreasonable expectations of following Christianity upon their children. Many will even make outcasts of their own children if they reject Christianity.
Bra
No, unfortunate things do happen but it does not change what must occur internally-in the heart of each person. God sees that person's heart and accepts their decision to be with him or not be with him.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#135821 Aug 12, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
lol....that is a good one :)
Did you read all of the source...because there is more to the inextricable link?
Is that the sound of you backpedalling?

You make a post linking facts to theories

I remind you that Evolution is a theory

Therefore, according to your own post, Evolution is linked to facts.

Nottingham, UK

#135822 Aug 12, 2014
7th Trump wrote:
<quoted text>
You're correct,, I asked for proof when none of your many and varied THEORIES provide proof.
Box said he or she could provide truth.
Teach it as THEORY not fact. Too many evolutionist try to pass off their THEORIES as fact. They let their faith in their religion get the better of themselves and TRY to pass off THEORY as fact.
Theory is the next best thing to fact and is far more likely than the failed hypothesis that people call their god.

Also, remember that "evolution" is the name scientists give to certain observed phenomena.

Just like "gravity" is the name given to a different observed phenomena.

The Theory of Gravity provides our best explanation why that particular phenomena happens.

In very much the same way, the Theory of Evolution provides our best explanation why another particular phenomena happens.

Nottingham, UK

#135823 Aug 12, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Very much in touch with reality...thank you very much.
Please, re-read the post...your question was answered. The contradiction is a perceived.
Sorry, I'm not letting this one go.

I highlighted two scriptures:

One says God never repents and the other said that God repents.

How are they not contradictory? Have you got some secret Christian definition of "contradiction" that isn't found in any of our dictionaries?

Before we go any further on this, let's make certain we are agreed with the definition of contradiction.

Please share with us what contradiction means....

Nottingham, UK

#135824 Aug 12, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You stated what 'you' think God's idea of love it and it is not that way at all.
God is love.
With perfect love is also perfect justice.
There is no torture chamber or stocking up of demons.
Each makes a choice of their own will to accept or reject God's gift of life that comes through Jesus. Those that accept receive their choice to be with God and those they do not accept receive their choice of being separated from God...eternally. The lake of fire is for satan, the demons, death, etc. and was not made for mankind.
The Bible tells us that all liars will go into the lake of fire.

You say the lake isn't for mankind.

I guess the Bible got that wrong and none of mankind will be going into that lake, not even those members of mankind who have lied.

Nottingham, UK

#135825 Aug 12, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan was going about to see who he could devour...who/what he could steal, kill or destroy.
True and we have free will. We are accountable for the words we say and our actions.
Yet your god allowed Satan into heaven?

I thought he couldn't stand sin.

Nottingham, UK

#135826 Aug 12, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
The Bible is God's word...
If the Bible is God's word, why don't you accept that word when it gives us a ratio of 3:1 for Pi?

The Bible uses numbers at many different points:

The Bible says it took God 6 days to create the whole shooting match - You don't dispute that number.

The Bible says that when God flooded the earth it rained for 40 days and nights - You don't dispute that number.

The Bible says that Adam was 930 when he died - You don't dispute that number.

The Bible says that Solomon had 700 wives - You don't dispute that number.

The Bible says that Jesus was in the wilderness for 40 days and nights - You don't dispute that number.

Now, here it comes.......

The Bible says that the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter is 3

Do you accept this number the Bible gives us?

No, you don't.

Why not? Are you saying that the Bible is wrong when it gives us a value for Pi of 3?

Nottingham, UK

#135827 Aug 12, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Then either you don't know what a contradiction is or you are in deed, deep denial.
Ah, you beat me to this one.

I've asked her to share her definition of contradiction.

Just want to check we're agreed on that before we go to the next stage.

Nottingham, UK

#135828 Aug 12, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone can provide answers; backing up those answers is the hard part. The Bible doesn't do that.
But, the Bible tells us that a bat is a bird.

Are you saying that particular answer is not supported?

lol

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#135829 Aug 12, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
But, the Bible tells us that a bat is a bird.
Are you saying that particular answer is not supported?
The Bible doesn't declare bats to be birds under the modern scientific definition, so I have no problem with that passage.
AAA

Bowling Green, KY

#135830 Aug 12, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Theory is the next best thing to fact and is far more likely than the failed hypothesis that people call their god.
Also, remember that "evolution" is the name scientists give to certain observed phenomena.
Just like "gravity" is the name given to a different observed phenomena.
The Theory of Gravity provides our best explanation why that particular phenomena happens.
In very much the same way, the Theory of Evolution provides our best explanation why another particular phenomena happens.
"Theory is the next best thing" to fact!!
But it's not FACT though, is it??

"Far more likely"!!
Far more likely is NOT FACT either!!

"Best explanation"
NOT FACT!!

It was said on here that someone could provide proof/fact of evolution of species!!

Still waiting,, not only have they been TRYING to pass of THEORY as FACT, they've been passing off other people's theories,,, not even their own!!!
Sharrian

Winter Garden, FL

#135831 Aug 12, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
Sex is not the only way to reproduction of a species. Fish don't have sex. Need I supply more examples your claim is false?
Excellent point.
Sex is not the only way to reproduction of a species and you accurately state that fish don't have sex.

Where you are wrong is in stating that my claim is false.
I stated that sex is the only way for reproduction of the species.
If you go back and read what I wrote you will note that I was alluding to the human species.
There is no other way that humans can reproduce , other that by sex ,artificial insemination or a test tube baby .
In all cases male sperm and the female egg are mandatory and one has to fertilize the other.
If memory serves me correctly, the same applies to fish.
The female lays the eggs and the male fertilizes them
That fact has evolutionists in a quandry which they can not intelligently address.

Nottingham, UK

#135832 Aug 12, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
"Theory is the next best thing" to fact!!
But it's not FACT though, is it??
"Far more likely"!!
Far more likely is NOT FACT either!!
"Best explanation"
NOT FACT!!
It was said on here that someone could provide proof/fact of evolution of species!!
Still waiting,, not only have they been TRYING to pass of THEORY as FACT, they've been passing off other people's theories,,, not even their own!!!
You know what else isn't fact?

Yours or indeed anyone else's god.

They are not even theory

They are failed hypotheses - theories are much better than that.

Nottingham, UK

#135833 Aug 12, 2014
AAA wrote:
Bacteria evolve into species that are resistant to antibiotics.

Do you deny that?

Finch evolution has been directly observed and gene frequencies in their gene pools has been measured, multiple times.

Do you deny that?

Evolution is fact. Evolution is "gene frequency change in gene pools over time." This has been objectively measured in the lab and tested, measured and observed in nature time and time again. To deny this is to deny reality - religion is quite good at that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
date? 16 min mr Hancock 2
Need a job ASAP 1 hr Please help 1
Add a Word, Drop a Word (Sep '11) 1 hr Jennifer Renee 19,704
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 2 hr Jennifer Renee 31,984
How Am I Supposed to Climb The Ladder of Succes... 2 hr translation 4,835
Does anyone know Durrane Conner (Jan '09) 4 hr lida 14
Police car chase in Richmond? (Sep '14) 5 hr Elected One 1,372
More from around the web

Richmond People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE