Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 167579 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#127650 Apr 5, 2014

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#127651 Apr 5, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't agree that The book of Revelations, or revelation in general is false doctrine. So which part did you agree with? The disputation of the BOM?
Its just book of "Revelation".
I agree that 70 should consider he has a plank in his own eye before commenting on the LDS. There is little room for someone to dismiss the BOM on one hand while they embrace other books and "Truths" that are nutty as a squirrel with the other. Who are people like Apostle Amber, 70, curious and YaA to say that God/Jesus/angels have spoken to them but not to Joe Smith?
Naturally, I still don't think that "God" has spoken to anybody.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#127653 Apr 5, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey there. I think we have spoken before but it's been a while.
I see your point, but I think the whole point of the story of Jonah and why it was important to be included as scripture is that even prophets can be prideful and wrong. Jonah did not speak the Lord's words, he spoke his own. He became prideful that his people were the Lord's people and that no one else deserved mercy from The Lord because they weren't following His commandments. He didn't think they deserved mercy so he spoke against them based on his own opinion. God disagreed and taught Jonah a hard lesson (and the rest of us) that even the wicked can change their ways and be forgiven.
Jonah was wrong, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a prophet. When a prophet speaks the Lord's words, he isn't wrong. Our job is to use the Holy Ghost to determine if the prophet is speaking of himself, or of God. If we strive to know and ask God, the Holy Ghost will confirm or not if these are God's words.
Prophets are fallible. They are men. Even Moses, one of the greatest prophets ever, was wrong once. And he didn't get to see the promised land because of it.
Hi dw

You may well be right in that we've spoken before. I'll apologise for not recalling you - I guess the older I get, the worse my memory gets!

Yes, Jonah did get it wrong.

Which means he fails the definition of a prophet as set out in Deuteronomy.

If Moses also got it wrong, then he too fails that particular test.

Are you saying that what Deuteronomy 18:22 is wrong?

Cambridge, UK

#127654 Apr 5, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Did Paul contradict Jesus?
Yes

Jesus spoke about the law and its place in Matthew 5:17-19 as well as in Luke 16:17

Paul contradicts Jesus in Romans 10:4

Probably in other scriptures too.

Cambridge, UK

#127655 Apr 5, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We all have the ability to recognize truth, even Gospel truth. But it is up to us to seek the religion/church that contains the most truth.
How I look at it is: Jesus' Gospel was the ultimate truth (because I believe He was the Son of God). He did not teach us everything about the Kingdom of Heaven, but told us that we would receive more wisdom when we ask of God. So on many doctrinal topics, we were left to figure it out. And from there, things got confused as doctrines and philosophies of men were mingled with His teachings. Men made decisions on what doctrines should be correct, and what should be scripture. Others disagreed and started new churches, and that trend has continued ever since. Finding the complete truth is extremely difficult now because of this. One has to completely rely on God to lead him to the correct path. It is up to us to put in the effort and ask, then shut up and listen for answers from Him, not from men.
1 Corinthians 14:33 tells us that God is not the author of confusion.

Yet here we are with hundreds, perhaps thousands of different Christian denominations, sects and cults.

Perhaps if God had been a better communicator and made his message clearer, this would never have happened.

Cambridge, UK

#127656 Apr 5, 2014
Great Fish Tale wrote:
<quoted text>Would they have repented had they not heard what was about to happen? I think understanding is missing somewhere on this subject. It was in direct obedience to God that Jonah went to preach this message to Nineveh. It was a message from God,.not prophecy. Jonah was the one running from the Lord. He didn't want to go. It never said he was a prophet. Jonah didn't get it wrong. You both got it wrong.. Just shows you can run but you can't hide.
Ah, OK

You say Jonah wasn't a prophet.

Cambridge, UK

#127657 Apr 5, 2014
Dog Boy and proud wrote:
<quoted text>
further clarification
this was a conditional prophecy. If they repent God will relent. This is a remarkable display of faith, as they had to immediately give up their idols to seek the Lord. The only ground which their faith rested on, was the fact of God sending the prophet to warn them, instead of destroying them at once; this suggested the thought of a possibility of pardon. Jonah 3:9-10:“Who can tell if God will turn and relent, and turn away from His fierce anger, so that we may not perish? Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it.”
Jonah 3:7–10
7 dAnd he caused it to be proclaimed and published throughout Nineveh by the decree of the king and his 2nobles, saying,
Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste anything; do not let them eat, or drink water. 8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily to God; yes, elet every one turn from his evil way and from fthe violence that is in his hands. 9 gWho can tell if God will turn and relent, and turn away from His fierce anger, so that we may not perish?
10 hThen God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it.
Read Jonah chapter 4 makes everything very clear
Conditional prophecy?

LOL

More like a trickster god

Cambridge, UK

#127658 Apr 5, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. I was looking for a possible contradiction in the bible that Jonah should have been put to death by God and was not. see below
Ezekiel 14:9
And if the prophet is enticed to utter a prophecy, I the Lord have enticed that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand against him and destroy him from among my people Israel. 10 They will bear their guilt—the prophet will be as guilty as the one who consults him.
Whoops!

You've found another of those many biblical contradictions.

Cambridge, UK

#127659 Apr 5, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone who understands the scriptures can test a prophet, or anything for that matter. The Holy Ghost is supposed to manifest truth and witness to us that Jesus is the Son of God.
Listening to the Holy Ghost can be one of the most difficult things people learn how to do
You're a Mormon?

You guys have got a different book written/inspired by creator of the universe than the ones the Christians use?

Cambridge, UK

#127660 Apr 5, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>No, that is not all. According to YaA, Anne got what she deserved.
Yes, he does think that.

It's a sick belief system he has.

Cambridge, UK

#127661 Apr 5, 2014
Anotherstupidmadeupname wrote:
<quoted text>I know you are NOT saying God headed up the Holocaust! No one is that ignorant outside of a cage.If Ann Frank never heard the gospel then God being just will judge her accordingly, as a child who has never reached accountability. Take your temp. I believe you have come down with something too.
You're right, I'm not saying that.

However, one of your fellow Christians pretty much is.

Anne Frank was Jewish - Jews reject the imagined divinity of Jesus asserted by Christians.

No doubt you think she got what she deserved.

Cambridge, UK

#127662 Apr 5, 2014
Dog Boy and proud wrote:
<quoted text>
1;11The word of the LORD came to Jonah the son of Amittai saying, 2"Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and cry against it, for their wickedness has come up before Me."…
3 Then the word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time: 2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh and proclaim to it the message I give you.”
3 Jonah obeyed the word of the Lord and went to Nineveh. Now Nineveh was a very large city; it took three days to go through it. 4 Jonah began by going a day’s journey into the city, proclaiming,“Forty more days and Nineveh will be overthrown.” 5 The Ninevites believed God. A fast was proclaimed, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth.
Matthew 12:41 ASV
The men of Nineveh shall stand up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, a greater than Jonah is here
Not sure if this answers your question...I believe he prophesied their destruction based on God's instructions. They repented. Repented is the key.....Inwhich case ,since that was what God wanted to accomplish , their repentance,they were forgiven.
Had they not repented , they would have been destroyed.
The whole point being, that,whether he was sent as a prophet or a messenger , Jonah did not get it wrong.
That is the nonsense and misleading information that unbelievers post ,
It is not the first time nor will it be the last,
Apologetics to hide a failed prophet....

You invent a trickster god.

LOL

Cambridge, UK

#127663 Apr 5, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
My friend, you can not add or take anything away from the Bible.
More hypocrisy from the guy who is full of it.

The Protestants removed seven books from the original bible.

Cambridge, UK

#127664 Apr 5, 2014
Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>Those cases are LESS than 1%...
Liberals KILL Babies because they're Inconvenient!
Gets in their way of Humping for Fun, n profit!
, and about the other stuff..... We help the poor... Obama keeps make them poor!
Buy a clue!
If Jesus was conservative....

"I can't feed these people. It will destroy their incentive to better themselves"

Luckily for the 5000, Jesus was liberal, so they got to eat.

Cambridge, UK

#127665 Apr 5, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>You know.... we have Millions of pieces of
Papyrus manuscripts proving the Bible true....
Yet... One gold tablet didn't last for anyone to see....
Go figure!
You've been tricked by Satan

You believers are ever the easiest to fool because you're so gullible.

Cambridge, UK

#127666 Apr 5, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
It's my understanding that within the LDS, chosen (male only, of course) members of the congregation can get a turn at being a church leader. That is a lay preacher.
Doctrine, dogma and rote is how the church inserts and asserts itself between the human and the spiritual. It's a cult thing.
No women?

That's hardly fair in this modern age of equality/

Cambridge, UK

#127667 Apr 5, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You realize that this was just speaking of the Book of Revelations, right? This was John's vision that he wanted no one to alter. If you try to apply it to the entire canon of the Bible, you cannot, because it hadn't been canonized yet. Plus this was the first thing John wrote, so you would have to trash the other books of John because they were written later. Revelations is last in the canon only because it speaks of end times. This warning only applies to the Book of Revelations. You cannot duct tape shut the mouth of God and tell Him that you will not accept any more words from Him because we already have His word in a compilation of books.
That's the trouble with people like SevenT:

Like so many other believers in here, he insists on putting limits on what his deity can/will do.

Cambridge, UK

#127668 Apr 5, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not a correct interpretation
You are adding the Book of Mormon which is false doctrine.
Sorry, I do not want to be disrespectful
Who are you to say what is false?

The supreme creator being of our universe has chosen to write quite a few books.

Looks like you have a problem.

Cambridge, UK

#127669 Apr 5, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't agree that The book of Revelations, or revelation in general is false doctrine. So which part did you agree with? The disputation of the BOM?
So you're in agreement with Revelations when it says that we will all be judged by our works?

Cambridge, UK

#127670 Apr 5, 2014
Dog Boy and proud wrote:
Hey , Khratu, When Do whut returned to Topix
You wrote Hi do whut - nice to meet you
Do Whut responded Hey there. I think we have spoken before but it's been a while.
Seems that DoWhut and you were previously acquainted , when you were using a different moniker... That would explain your not having responded to his posting . As a matter of fact ,since that time, you have done a Houdini and disappeared...Some of your goombahs have responded to Do Whuts post , but not you.
Wazzup with dat....Not that it really matters, but I am Curious....LOL.
Something to do with people changing monikers for absurd reasons and denying they do so.......
I'd hate to think you were one of those culprits.......
But,,,,,,,,,,you never know.....
Hello from the Dog Pound..........
LOL

You're obsessed with people masquerading as others. You'll remember when we first met and how you accused me of being witch in the woods.

Looks like you're also obsessed with my participation on this thread.

I can hardly have a few days away in our great capitol city without you whining at my absence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Trip To Stately Wayne Manor and Fisherman's W... 6 min translation 1,770
silk sweet 49 min kymale 2
Heating & Air Co 6 hr Wyatt 3
Afraid there is no one for me 7 hr Marlboro Man 9
$100 reward for info on who stole a laptop on L... 9 hr Bed bug 2
Daniel Claybourne 14 hr Hidf 3
Ghost Hunter University @ Talon Winery Oct. 14t... 16 hr DR Francisco 3

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance