Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 158054 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#124241 Feb 14, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So the extent of your evidence is, the city claimed existed, this the events claimed of the city are all true?
I am sure most if not all atheists here will acknowledge the mystical stories have grains of truth.
Many people kill and die for various gods, does that mean all the gods are real?
Sorry but if this is what you use for logic, I am sure I am on the correct team.
You can't cherry pick the parts you want to be true. Either it is, or it isn't! there are many truths to the Bible not just cherry picked ones like you wanna believe. The tombs of Aaron and Moses and others, that are actual places that can be visited today, establish that they were actual people not of Myth or some made up fantasy of goat worshipers. now, i am not saying what was wrote was all true but if one part is proven and more than one has been, then one must consider the other as fact. sure some of it is contradictary because of translating. when one part of the Bible is proved to be a lie then the whole religious foundation would be shattered and as you and i know, that hasn't happened. Stories became legend and legend became myth..To this day, the hunt for The Holy Grail, and other relics continue. Why? why if it so believed that there is no merit to the story?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#124242 Feb 14, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
Do you believe Constantine was an actual man? Do think he sent his own mother in search of a Myth? Do you think he built Churches and shrines to a Myth?
Yes, Constantine was an actual man, well documented by history. Yes, he did things in service to myths. People of every religion do that.
pusherman_ wrote:
Do you see how hard them desert diggers try and disprove the Bible but find city after city that were mentioned in the Bible?
Actually, traditionally, many archaeologists have been Christians and Jews who were attemping to confirm the Bible (not disprove it). They didn't get the result they wanted, as archaeology has disproven numerous elements of the Bible, like the Exodus and the power of the Israelite kingdoms.
pusherman_ wrote:
remember now, the Bible itself is thought to be nothing but ficticious writings, if that were the case, why are they unearthing a lot of stuff mentioned in the Bible?
Myths are typically set in the real world.

Look at the Iliad and Odyssey. They tell of supernatural events, and gods, and monsters, and heroes performing great feats. They also involve the city of Troy, which we know was an actual city. But the existence of Troy does nothing to confirm the myths.
pusherman_ wrote:
to discredit one part, one would have to the whole book. Did you know there is an actual tomb of Moses and Aaron among others? The Bible is not so easily discredited as you might think.....
Many parts have been discredited. For instance, we know the Hebrews were never slaves under the Egyptians. The Egyptians had excellent records and there is no note of them. Likewise, the archaeology of Hebrew settlements shows that they were an offshoot of Canaanites already in the area, not a group that moved in from afar.

Location hidden

#124243 Feb 14, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was a queer and so is Satan. "Jesus said, "get behind me Satan, before Peter could shag him" . Jesus built houses for gays and was called a fisher of men. Get on you knees like a good fundie and and let Jesus fill you with his holy spirit. So you are afraid of a God you call Jesus, maybe he's to big for you to swallow.
Your Jesus was buried in a dump site by the Jews. That was common for criminals and queers to be dump in a garbage site and then burn with the garbage.
You should stop acting queer and hurt yourself sitting on that picket fence and get down with some real action with Jesus. Remember Satan has first dibs on Jesus and Peter is next, go figure. " Maybe Ted Haggard can be your mentor and let you cut in front of him.
You want to be a bride of Christ, then honor him with you lips. Not me!
I have no interest in your foolishness!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#124244 Feb 14, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no desire to sway you.
I guess that's why your arguments are so terrible.
Curious wrote:
The gospels , whivh you do not believe , so state.......And nowhere else is there any evidence to point otherwise....
The Gospels are simply stories written by men. They're not historical. They contain errors. They contain absurdities. They contain contradictions. Why believe them?
Curious wrote:
So , I either believe what is written in the gospels or permit myself to be deceived by those , who in order to defend their Atheist faith , have to resort to giving misinformed and misguidrd opinions based on nothing other than to defend their faith.
You either believe error-prone writings that you have no reason to believe...or you believe rational arguments....and you choose the former.

That's called CRAZY.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#124245 Feb 14, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> No it's not! it's a way of living knowing in belief there is something greater. you're to smart for that!
Really. Aren't you the one who was saying that your Catholic ex-girlfriend 'lived knowing in belief' of her Pixie the wrong 'way'? Pot meet kettle.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#124246 Feb 14, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it shouldn't. Religious belief isn't based on evidence or reason, but faith. It continues regardless of facts.
Harold Camping claimed to be a prophet and had many followers, yet when his prophecies failed, the followers didn't go away. Why not?
Joseph Smith is a confirmed con-man and we know through scientific means that many of his claims were false. Yet there are still millions upon millions of Mormons. Why?
<quoted text>
This is church tradition, not history.
<quoted text>
No, it doesn't. No evidence points to this fact. Only a story, which was written by people we know to creating myth.
<quoted text>
It could not have been proven. Jesus was a criminal and would have been thrown into a mass grave, where he would have rotted. No one would care to dig up a mass grave in order to prove some crazy locals wrong.
<quoted text>
There's no evidence he was buried in a tomb, and it is contrary to Roman tradition. Criminals were put in mass graves or unmarked graves.
<quoted text>
Most assuredly how? Because you say so?
You are quite ignorant about the basis for my faith so you should not comment on something you know nothing about. My faith is based on evidence provided me by prayers being answered ,something you are unable to comprehend . It is for those reasons that I attained faith and it continues to grow.
Since you are quite unable to comprehend it , there is no reason to try and explain it.
The facts is that , as you see your prayers realized you learn to trust in He who answers those prayers.

When Christ was crucified the Apostles all hid in fear for their lives
It was only after he appeared to them and after the events of pentecost that they regained their courage and became an unstopable force.
12 individuals who had nothing worldly to gain and much to lose, their lives and freedom

Comparing the events surrounding Harold Camping and joseph Smith and the events surrounding the death and resurrection of Christ is nonsencical and absurd ,have nothing in common and is only an attempt by you to justify your unbelieving faith by any means.
Ifccamping was a false prophet and managed to deceive many ,should not be surprising. Christ foretold these events would occur
I am not a mormon , therefore I do not feel qualified to speak on that subject.
However , none of those 2 were crucufied and arose from the dead. At no time were their followers in fear of losing their lives for their beliefs...
Historians from that time period have stated that Christ was crucified under Pontius Pilate
There is no evidence to support the crucifixion as a myth . The Gospels attest otherwise and the writers of the Gospels were in a much better position to state the truth than those whom 2 000 years later claim to have a better understanding of those events.
basically , I can chose to believe the writers of the gospel or believe you, who will do everything in your power to justify your unbelief
No where is any evidence found to support your statement that Christ was buried in a mass grave . those are the opinions of the misguided and misinformed.
Christ was crucified and arose from the dead and as paul stated," and if Christ hath not been raised, then is our preaching vain, your faith also is vain. and we are to be pitied above all men
So I believe , with good reason , that Christ rose from the dead ,he is alive and is my Lord and Saviour.
Those who want to believe otherwise are free to do so.
However , I do not base my faith on what others may or may not believe.
I base it on my personal experiences.....
My God lives , my God reigns and Jesus Christ is Lord
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#124247 Feb 14, 2014
stuck in a lodi wrote:
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
All evidence points to Christ being crucified and buried in a tomb.
The only thing worse than a liar, is a liar that's also a hypocrite!
Well , You really should not be so hard on the members of your atheist faith.
They are ignorant and can not help themselves , Although ,Stak Rosch is attempting to help them , but , in their ignorance , they still refuse the much needed help

“Justice Sweet”

Since: Jan 14

Mount Vernon

#124248 Feb 14, 2014
JC is Life Truth and Way wrote:
<quoted text>
No maths is not a religion, but the way it is applied to prove a lie or manipulate political will that becomes religious, a system of control.
Man did not invent science, we are on the path of discovery and understanding. Yet medical science, mathematics, engineering all wants to make it out as if they are creating something with which they actually have absolutely no control of. What they are trying to control is somehow leading to disastrous results
Medical research in some areas are moving on such dangerous grounds today they are messing up as far as they go in the name of science or intelligent man.
Your quote on "science being invented "makes me laugh.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#124249 Feb 14, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If you could only produce logic to backup an idea the energy was anything other than energy, go for it.
I say that intelligent design is the most plausible explanation for creation.
You don't accept that.
You claim that energy has more likely always existed.
If that enrgy is nonliving, nonconscious and nonintelligent , then , how was the universe,which is so fine tuned,created?
How was this energy able to create intelligence, life and consciousness , properties it does not posses,knows nothing about nor knows if they exist or not?
You see , that is the albatross around your neck that can not be explained without an intelligent creator.
I know why you won't attempt to answer ,,, You can't ...
To date ,attempts have been made,all ending in total and abject failure.
You can cry in vain , the God of the gaps.....
But, you have nothing but ignorance to fill in the holes in your atheist faith.
You got nothing except the hope that the topic will not be brought up again because it is causing you to bumble and stumble all over the place.
Don't cry no more , your excuses and tears are futile
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#124250 Feb 14, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot relate such a life force to man's understanding of living /non living ,intelligent /non intelligent , having conscience .To me religion is almost a slap in the face to make it all about mankind .. God is a man bla bla ba. God has feelings ...bla bla...God spoke...bla.... Crap.
Most peoples perceptions are bound by human limitations to understand only by self attachments . Sorry if that's confusing but I know it's frightening for people think this might be more than our minds can perceive . I have the up most respect for science , it helps us in this process. Don't be afraid of what's to come. Energy is the only thing we carry on..it might be a heaven your not expecting. Death is part of life. Natural as birth. From that point can anyone explain where your from before birth.no..so why make death/afterlife such a human experience ?
Well , you said much about nothing . Fact is that we are alive,conscious and intelligent and neither science or Evolution has been able to explain how we may have attained those propertieds by natural or accidental means...
Ineffect , it has Scientists and evolutionists bumbling and stunbling trying to find an answer
Moreover , the fine tuning of the Universe can not be accounted for by natural or accidental means

Albert Einstein, theoretical physicist
The scientist is possessed by the sense of universal causation… His religious feeling takes the form of a rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection.

Stephen Hawking, theoretical physicist
The laws of science… contain many fundamental numbers, like the size of the electric charge of the electron and the ratio of the masses of the proton and the electron… The remarkable fact is that the values of these numbers seem to have been very finely adjusted to make possible the development of life.

Sir Fred Hoyle, astrophysicist
A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#124252 Feb 14, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I have on more than one occasion expressed the reasons for my beliefs , as you well know.
We are intelligently designed by the LIVING ,INTELLIGENT AND CONSCIOUS GOD...
For those who disagree with my beliefs , I suggested that they post the reasons for their believing otherwise.
That being , how is it possible for the nonliving to create life , the nonintelligent to create intelligence and the nonconscious to create consciousness..........
I have gotten inumerable excuses.
maybe you would like to take a shot at an explanation.
Or you can add to the list of excuses already provided me by the other Atheists
That's not an answer.

It's an "I dunno" wrapped in superstition and ju-ju

Cambridge, UK

#124253 Feb 14, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I have given my REASONS on many occasions.
Whether you were using this moniker or another one,I don't know.
Go back and search and you will find them ,Twas not that long ago.
BTW you remember that hit song of the 60's
I said over and over and over again , this Atheist is going to be a drag.
Yeah, we know all about your reasons:

The reasons why you say genocide was good.

The reasons why you say it was good to kill homosexuals.

The reasons why you are pro-slavery.

The reasons why it's good to kill people if they have the temerity to exercise freedom of religion.

Cambridge, UK

#124254 Feb 14, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me the evidence as to how it is possible for the nonliving to create life , the nonintelligent to create intelligence and the non conscious to create consciousness,
I am asking again ,though knowing full well that you do not have a clue and can not answer.
That statement has you Atheists running around like achicken with his head cut off.
And what a sorry sight that is.
So where does your god come from then?

Cambridge, UK

#124255 Feb 14, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
My God is that being that has always existed......Unless YOU are foolish enough to believe that nothing can create something from nothing.
Now Q will remind us that there was never no thing......That is exactly my point, there was always something GOD ,LIVING,INTELLIGENT AND CONSCIOUS
On the other hand you have those abundantly foolish who will believe that Nothing can create something from nothing.....Duket ,Spaoedout , Croak , Cardboard Box Pre K and other yam fams..........Yikes, these fools travelled a long way to prove how foolish they are
Your god has not always existed.

He says so himself.

Cambridge, UK

#124256 Feb 14, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I say that intelligent design is the most plausible explanation for creation.
Who designed your god?
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#124257 Feb 14, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not an answer.
It's an "I dunno" wrapped in superstition and ju-ju
To you it is not an answer because you have to defend your baseless faith with excuses.
You got nothing else...
Now ,go stand around a mud puddle , wait for lightning to strike and see if the mud comes to life.
If you stop posting,we will know the lightning struck you LOL YIKES

I will ask Q to redirect your supply of mind altering drugs to King george Hospital in nottingham

Location hidden

#124258 Feb 14, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Constantine was an actual man, well documented by history. Yes, he did things in service to myths. People of every religion do that.
<quoted text>
Actually, traditionally, many archaeologists have been Christians and Jews who were attemping to confirm the Bible (not disprove it). They didn't get the result they wanted, as archaeology has disproven numerous elements of the Bible, like the Exodus and the power of the Israelite kingdoms.
<quoted text>
Myths are typically set in the real world.
Look at the Iliad and Odyssey. They tell of supernatural events, and gods, and monsters, and heroes performing great feats. They also involve the city of Troy, which we know was an actual city. But the existence of Troy does nothing to confirm the myths.
<quoted text>
Many parts have been discredited. For instance, we know the Hebrews were never slaves under the Egyptians. The Egyptians had excellent records and there is no note of them. Likewise, the archaeology of Hebrew settlements shows that they were an offshoot of Canaanites already in the area, not a group that moved in from afar.
You're kidding right? I recently seen a documentry on the exodus and they had a found a tablet that actually mentioned the Hebrews in Egypt, just as anything one wanted to forget he wouldn't keep records. look how they tried to erase Akhenaton from their records. I have never seen or read anything that has been found to discredit the Bible.. Troy does nothing to confirm myths? you're as silly as your post...Troy was thought myth, made up, not real, but was proven to have been an actual place. so i think that says a lot about myths.. You best try your luck with that BS else where, cause i ain't that guy!

Location hidden

#124259 Feb 14, 2014
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
What evidence? Here is your opportunity to sway me.
You're a student of the Bible but you're not very astute. Read the book of Moses very carefully where he is on the mountain at Sinai, pay attention to where he describes the whole of the earth as ROUND, YES ROUND! now how did that man know that? lucky guess? BS!! you think he drug that outta his @$$ when they had no knowledge of that? to be a student, You're not very perceptive to what your studying..
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#124260 Feb 14, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, we know all about your reasons:
The reasons why you say genocide was good.
The reasons why you say it was good to kill homosexuals.
The reasons why you are pro-slavery.
The reasons why it's good to kill people if they have the temerity to exercise freedom of religion.
Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you don't know all my reasons.
Let me give you the reason why you are not too bright and are incapable of responding intelligently to my suggestion.
Are you listening? Do I have your undivided attention?
OK here goes , prepare yourself and sit down.
I betcha you were stupid enough to read all of this......
I'll tell ya some other time..... LOL
You atheists ARE MY ENTERTAINMENT CENTER..........YIKES
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#124261 Feb 14, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
So where does your god come from then?
You still lack the courage to defend your baseless faith?
My God did not come from anywhere , he is everywhere.
I am that I am..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jacksons dont let them foo ya 10 min Obvious 4
How Can You Be Happy With Disappointment? 20 min Curiouser and Cur... 244
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 21 min Jennifer Renee 40,015
Someone save this princess 1 hr Mike Brewer 2
erica gabbard (Aug '09) 1 hr KARMA 30
Looking for a good church in Richmond (Dec '10) 2 hr Seriously 38
If a older woman is called a cougar then what i... (Apr '11) 3 hr Community Chest 58

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages