Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
110,041 - 110,060 of 128,575 Comments Last updated 54 min ago

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I BELIEVE and have seen not a shred of evidence that would lead me to question my beliefs.
Moreover The incoherent ,illogical and nonsensical postings of Atheists have served to further strengthen my beliefs.
For that , I thank you and the how many others legitimately there might be.
Tell UMM I said hi
The fact that you haven't seen any evidence doesn't mean there isn't any.

I'll ask the question again.

Do you accept that you could be wrong in your beliefs?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Well ,The fact is that Atheists do not have and have never produced a book full of good ethics and morals.
Their moral code is based on each individuals interpretation of right and wrong based on their desires.Kinda like do whatever turns you on,,,Hippie style.
That is why Witchetty proudly claimed that she has never done anything for which she need feel ashamed.
I assume that if the Pope ever becane aware of her statements
he would either have her cannonized as a saint or cannonaded as a heretic.
I think it's safe to say that most humanists don't believe in any invisible sky pixies.

We believe in optimism rather than pessimism, hope rather than despair, learning in the place of dogma, truth instead of ignorance, joy rather than guilt or sin, tolerance in the place of fear, love instead of hatred, compassion over selfishness, beauty instead of ugliness, and reason rather than blind faith or irrationality.”- The Affirmations of Humanism: A Statement of Principles

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

curiousity wrote:
I have read through some of these posts. God's word says to go out and preach the gospel. As a Christian I do just that. I spread what I know about Jesus. But I want each person that reads this to know, that whatever your view is I love you! Because God's greatest gift is love! And I pray for each one that reads my post. I love The Lord and I will continue to let His light shine thru my life! God Bless each of you and may you find peace in your hearts!
"I do understand what love is, and that is one of the reasons I can never again be a Christian.

Love is not self denial. Love is not blood and suffering. Love is not murdering your son to appease your own vanity. Love is not hatred or wrath, consigning billions of people to eternal torture because they have offended your ego or disobeyed your rules.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission.

It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being."

Dan Barker

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

curiousity wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you! That truly blesses me to know someone felt the love I have for God. Many blessings to you fear friend.:)
Lol

"fear friend"

That was a Freudian slip if ever there was one.

Yes, I guess christians are friends in fear of their god.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Putting a book full of killing due to ones religious beliefs and claiming it is a good thing, in public schools has the problem of overcoming the billions of people who claim this is the perfect word of god. Teaching it objectively becomes a huge problem. This is why government gives tax exemption to churches.
No doubt the christians consider the millions of men, women, children, and babies that the bible god slaughters are evidence of his transcendent love.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The trouble you have is that you can't even define your god(s).
We can't, because we don't know. Then again, neither do you.
Anyway, there is an extremely strong probability that every single event that occurs in our universe is a natural one. Which means that they can all be explained (albeit not all in our lifetimes) by natural causes alone.
If you want real and tangible truths about our universe then the scientific method is the best guide we have.
If however, you prefer superstitious mumbo jumbo to real truths, then pick up a religious book. It doesn't really matter which one, take your pick.
The Qur’an, Bagahad Gita, Bible, etc,- they're all superstitious nonsense.
I don't have any troubles . Unbelievers are the ones who have troubles . They do not think that God exists and try ,by natural means , to explain that which is Supernatural.
Scientific Attempts have utterly failed to explain how we attained the properties of life, intelligence and consciousness.
You lay claim to an extremely strong possibility that every single event that takes place in our Universe is a natural one.
However , you fail to define what that extremely strong possibility is based on and why that possibility should be relied on.
All I have heard so far is , given time ,anything is possible.
That view , most assuredly , is not what I will put my faith and trust in.
That is a leap of faith worthy of a fool.
The Scientific Method that you base your Faith on has been totally unable to address the issues I have posed.
They have failed in all their attempts to create life by natural means. They admit that they don't even have a working thesis in order to address the issue.
Moreover , as I have stated before;
It is Science that asserts that Intelligent Design is not neede to create life.
However , assuming that they ever able to create life , that would completely destroy their theory that Intelligence is not needed for that event to occur.
Your biased opinion on the Bible being a book of superstitions
is deatroyed by the fact that those of us who read the bible completely disagree with your assertion.
Our beliefs are not based on misguided opinions,but on our actual personal experiences....
That is something that Atheists are unable to grasp.

Since: Oct 13

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Here is my story,

I had been helped calling on Jesus all my life and I came to know Jesus personally by one day out of a pure heart I helped a young man on the side of the freeway off ramp and gave him some money then I went to the liquor store across the street and saw him come in to immediately buy something. I asked if he needed help and he said yes, so I took him to the mall where I paid for him to get his hair cut, & took him to the Goodwill where he didn’t want any clothes, then took him home where he took a shower for a very long time and then let him sleep peacefully on my couch, and he didn't try anything. He left the next morning and I can’t help to think though he could have been an angel (For thereby some have entertained angels unawares).

In that next few days, my eyes opened and I began to seek the true light of Christ as I was at my wits end and rebelling against the world and the sinful life I was living then Christ delivered from this sinful life. I remember when I turned from sin and heard the angels sing and as I stood in the middle of the room so very still and all of a sudden I stood perfectly still and felt writing on my forehead from the lord, when the writing stopped I fell backwards onto the bed and I knew that it was Christ the Lord, I rejoiced and immediately wanted to share my great experience.
This happened to me just as it is written in Revelation in the Church of Philadelphia: "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name."

Soon after I went to the sink and drank what I thought was water but it was wine! A few years later there was one night when I was just too cooped up in my apartment and needed to get out and I found myself sitting in front of a church and then I heard someone call me "Amber" and it sounded like it was of the Holy Spirit so I have kept this name as my name ever since.

Sometime later after attending a Jewish group for years and petitioning God for his approval as it seemed that those people had all to themselves and I felt left out. I had been so blessed to encounter God voice when I heard him speak personally just to me. I was just walking my dog along the sidewalk in front of a field, I heard “Today I have begotten you” his voice booming with love, when I was feeling so unloved, I was so awed I loved the sound of his voice and I felt warmed by his love and caring.

A day or so later heard Jesus say “”You are an apostle” and it sounded kind of like loving and like a statement of fact, or like he was saying “didn't you know that!” loudly in a shout, and firmly with a commanding strong tone and I was glad he spoke to let me know and I felt humbled and glad, I have thought of him often since he wrote on my forehead, always seeking him in the morning so he would not be far me all day.

A few days later Gods hand and a finger pointing down, seeing his Spirit was awesome, he kind of glowed in definition looking as a large human hand that was sort of transparent glowing of light and he hand was so gloriously enormous as his hand extended from floor to the ceiling and was solid deep pinkish to light burgundy glow like a human hand but luminescent yet natural, not a minute after I saw the hand I turned my head away and pushed back in my chair and then I heard Jesus say “You will judge the 12 tribes of Israel” in a compassionate and consoling tone stated as a matter of fact also letting me know so as not to question it.

Contact me at: amahamber@gmail.com http://facebook.com/ApostleAmber

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
"I do understand what love is, and that is one of the reasons I can never again be a Christian.
Love is not self denial. Love is not blood and suffering. Love is not murdering your son to appease your own vanity. Love is not hatred or wrath, consigning billions of people to eternal torture because they have offended your ego or disobeyed your rules.
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission.
It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being."
Dan Barker
I have read a few of Dan Barker's books. He writes extensively on morals, but of course Curious is not curious enough to read anything by an atheist, yet he thinks he knows all books atheists have written to the point he can make a bold, absolute claim about them.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt the christians consider the millions of men, women, children, and babies that the bible god slaughters are evidence of his transcendent love.
If a god murders those he loves, then his love is meaningless.
Love is a word Christians use to loosely.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

I heard about a study on superstition yesterday. Birds were used and they were given food at regular intervals. The birds evidently took note of what they were doing when the food showed up. So the birds would repeat the action thinking it was the cause of food to appear. Some would do strange things like rubbing their heads on the glass when hungry.
Humans are a superstitious species. Note all the silly things humans think are good luck. Many are just traditions, but if a person identifies it with success then it is understandable why he might cling to the superstition.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have any troubles . Unbelievers are the ones who have troubles . They do not think that God exists and try ,by natural means , to explain that which is Supernatural.
Scientific Attempts have utterly failed to explain how we attained the properties of life, intelligence and consciousness.
You lay claim to an extremely strong possibility that every single event that takes place in our Universe is a natural one.
However , you fail to define what that extremely strong possibility is based on and why that possibility should be relied on.
All I have heard so far is , given time ,anything is possible.
That view , most assuredly , is not what I will put my faith and trust in.
That is a leap of faith worthy of a fool.
The Scientific Method that you base your Faith on has been totally unable to address the issues I have posed.
They have failed in all their attempts to create life by natural means. They admit that they don't even have a working thesis in order to address the issue.
Moreover , as I have stated before;
It is Science that asserts that Intelligent Design is not neede to create life.
However , assuming that they ever able to create life , that would completely destroy their theory that Intelligence is not needed for that event to occur.
Your biased opinion on the Bible being a book of superstitions
is deatroyed by the fact that those of us who read the bible completely disagree with your assertion.
Our beliefs are not based on misguided opinions,but on our actual personal experiences....
That is something that Atheists are unable to grasp.
First let me point out the lie you just told. Science does not claim a creator is not needed, it simply claims zero evidence a creator created.
Do you need to lie in order to have faith in god?
And believers do not prove a truth, evidence does. And claiming people believing in something is evidence as you just did is absolutely stupid beyond belief. Do Muslims believing prove Mohamed was a prophet? Of course not. So to claim it does it just stupid.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>First let me point out the lie you just told. Science does not claim a creator is not needed, it simply claims zero evidence a creator created.
Do you need to lie in order to have faith in god?
And believers do not prove a truth, evidence does. And claiming people believing in something is evidence as you just did is absolutely stupid beyond belief. Do Muslims believing prove Mohamed was a prophet? Of course not. So to claim it does it just stupid.
I did not lie . That is your excuse due to your inability to deal with what I've posted on many occassions and to which you are now responding.
Read what Stephen Hawkins wrote

"The Grand Design,” co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, Hawking says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant,according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.

“Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, WHY WE EXIST,” Hawking writes.“It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going.”

From what Hawkins is stating , one can conclude that he believes the Universe and Creation as a whole was created ex nihilo'
Meaning Nothing created something from nothing.
He attributes all this to the law of Gravity.
What is a law? A law is a rule which has no known properties.
It has no intelligence , consciousness or life giving powers.
He says GOD is not needed inorder to create life or the Universe.
So much for the gibberish you posted.
Your inane rantigs in order to avoid dealing with the issues I have recently posted on more than one occassion , you neglected to address the following , which I will post again

You lay claim to "an extremely strong possibility that every single event that takes place in our Universe is a natural one."
However , you fail to define what that extremely strong possibility is based on and why that possibility should be relied on."

I have been showered with nonsense , Gibberish and illconceived excuses from you ,Witchetty , Chroe and Khartu.
None of you are able to explain how it is possible for nonliving ,nonconscious and nonintelligent matter to transform itself , by natural means , into conscious,intelligent living matter.
Now , Hawkins claims that all these events can be attributed to the Law of Gravity.
But , he fails to mention ,how the law of gravity is able to create life,intelligence and consciousness , among other things,from nothing.

BTW your other misrepresentation of what you claim I said
" And claiming people believing in something is evidence as you just did is absolutely stupid beyond belief."
That is a lie, I never wrote that and you know it.
Show me the evidence
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that you haven't seen any evidence doesn't mean there isn't any.
I'll ask the question again.
Do you accept that you could be wrong in your beliefs?
You Atheists have a huge problem with understanding the basis for my beliefs and my faith.
Many of the Atheist and Agnostic Monikers on this thread have stated that they can not claim 100% certainty for there being no God.
They base their opinion of a nonGod on the assertion that they have no evidence that a God exists.
I base my faith on the evidence that GOD has provided me that he exists.
Therein lies the difference ,God has provided me with evidence of his existence and so I believe based on that evidence and with good reason.
The only way that I could accept that I was wrong in my beliefs is if someone could provide me with credible evidence to the contrary.
Something that none of you have been able to provide.

You claim that the fact I haven't seen any evidence does not mean it does not exist..Well, if it exists , provide it. let me take a look at it.
Let me make it clearer;
I believe my wife loves me , she has proven her love and I have no reason to doubt it.
And I will continue to believe in her love for me, without doubt,until the time someone can provide me with evidence to the contrary.
God has shown me that he exists and I have no reason to doubt him.
My belief in God is not based on the opinions or beliefs of others , not my Father's,my mother's or anybody else.
Somehow Atheists are unable to grasp that fact.
You claim you need evidence in order to believe.
God has provided me with the evidence I needed in order to believe
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The trouble you have is that you can't even define your god(s).
We can't, because we don't know. Then again, neither do you.
What I do know is that I posted my reasons for my beliefs.
Spelled them out very clearly.
No one here has made any attempt to contradict my reasons .
What I have seen is a number of excuses ,attempts to disregard what I wrote by posting inane and absurd comments, none of which related to the topic at hand. You included , have gone to great lenghts to avoid that discussion.
In my posting I also alluded ,very plainly as to why I believe that it is foolish faith to not believe that the Universe and life as we know it was not created by intelligent design "GOD"
Neither has that issue been addressed byh you ,Dukette , chroe ,Witchetty or anyone else.
Both those issues have been avoided . Again , what I have seen in response has been excuses andnonsencical gibberish that is not relevant to that which was being discussed.
I rest my case.
I well imagine that I will be bombarded with much more nonsense.
And I fully understand your unwillingness to address those issues.
Mark

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Religion is insane and so are the people who believe. God, the Devil, Jesus, Mohammed, the pink unicorn, the tooth fairy, Santa, the Easter bunny are not real. Most intelligent people know this but are afraid to say this in public. Without religion, people would have a much better chance of living in peace. I would not go as far to say that religion is the root of all evil, but it a big part of it and it has been responsible for the deaths of millions.
SistaNoneYa

East Bernstadt, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Still far from denouncing the bible or the old testament.
The practices god praised are exactly what you keep denouncing, but you cannot seem to manage connecting the dots. Maybe you just cannot admit being wrong about something?
When it comes to what a person/people like to read, or not, it's really then just a matter of personal choice, rather than simplistic "right or wrong", is it not?

Especially since I never disputed your claims on the passages you have been mired and stuck on.

"Legalism", really can be quite an ignorant "state" to be stuck in.
SistaNoneYa

East Bernstadt, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am sure one could find some redemptive qualities in Mein Kampf, but that does not mean we should glorify the book. We should point out exactly what is wrong with the philosophies claimed in the book.
Billions of people do not hold up Mein Kampf as the perfect words of a god.
I guess when a book is supposed to be of a god, it is deemed off limits to criticism?
That's why there's such things as book reviews.

And if you've ever noticed-those types of things range in opinion from one end of the proverbial opionion realms, to the other ends of them.

Pretty simple, if you don't like a book, don't read it...but don't expect everyone else not to (because there's nothing worse than communistic, extreme type censorship eh?)
SistaNoneYa

East Bernstadt, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet it's clear that the god of the bible doesn't think much to the Golden Rule and it's not important that his followers adhere to it.
We know that the bible god instructs his believers to kill other humans.
Furthermore, think about the hundreds of thousands of books that have been written about Christianity. In all the centuries that these books were written, how many are dedicated to what really matters (The Golden Rule). I suspect that the answer is very few indeed.
Check out the NT and you'll read that the main condition for getting into Heaven is not that we observe the Golden Rule.
Instead, it's that we love Jesus, and to God, that is more important than following the Golden Rule. It's not nice to harm your fellow humans but as long as you end up loving Jesus with all your heart then you'll be OK for your ticket to Heaven.
You're entilted to your beiefs-but that's not how I see things.
SistaNoneYa

East Bernstadt, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
It was already ruined.
I don't think so.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim you need evidence in order to believe.
God has provided me with the evidence I needed in order to believe
Too bad he doesn't give you some of that evidence to show others.
You may believe that you have enough proof your "evidence," but some of us have higher standards...much higher.

We are not afraid to say "I don't know" until such time as we might know.
Perhaps we will never know, but that's ok.
Knowing how our universe began would not change anything about how I live my life.

Just because we don't know doesn't give you permission to insert your fantasy.
Doing that only points out your insecurity.

To acknowledge the fact that we don't know is infinitely better than inventing a story with no proof to explain it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

113 Users are viewing the Richmond Forum right now

Search the Richmond Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 15 min DemocRATS 146,140
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 54 min thispost1912 1,011
places for rent 1 hr Boo 4
Who will be the next Madison County Sheriff in ... 1 hr dummy 745
EKU firings (Nov '13) 1 hr info 22
Missing teen girl in Berea (Jun '13) 2 hr SteakDinners4Every1 7,118
Word Association (Jul '10) 2 hr Jennifer Renee 18,508
josh hensley 2 hr captaincrunch 12
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 5 hr Jennifer Renee 28,094
Nu Revolution Dance Studio 8 hr Your Heart 28
•••
•••
•••
•••