Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
106,621 - 106,640 of 130,576 Comments Last updated 34 min ago
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111714 Aug 26, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So Jesus (your Christ) is your role model. So you follow the role model that treats ailments as a demon infestation?
I hope you use modern knowledge and history to determine your philosophy instead of blindly following some if the ignorant things Jesus said in the bible.
I was once read a small booklet, entitled "I'm not a Legalist, Am I"...YEARS and YEARS ago.

It was a real eye opener, in that it plainly showed how easily people fall victim to their own self perceived notions of shallow "self righteousness" in their very simplistic world views of mere "black and white" or "right/wrong" or "cut and dry" so to speak....and just how wrong they can actually be with that simplistic a mindset sometimes.
Good little booklette..impacted enough to still remember the name of it 30 years later.

There's plenty of good wisdom found in some of the words of the Bible as well, and not quite sure why you wish to "avoid" THAT aspect of it all sometimes. Bit of a self righteous "Legalistic" nature, that aloows no room for human imperfections and flaws perhaps?
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111715 Aug 26, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
And then.... you come back with this.
Well one intelligent post out of 300 is probably pretty good stats for ya huh?
Y'all figure out what those beeps are when dialing up yet over there?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#111716 Aug 26, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> Whatcha trying to say Mantle? We are all One? Anyone with any stretch of the imagination could easily see the different characteristics in all our writing abilities. add to the hypocrite, idiot, and pansy label, paranoid too. Poor, Poor, Mantle.
How to Hide Your Different Identities While Posting onThe Internet

Rule no. 1 Alter characteristics in your writing.

Rule NO.2 If accused of using multiple monikers , deny it using the following verbiage
"Anyone with any stretch of the imagination could easily see the different characteristics in all our writing abilities."

In an aside; I was very sure that you had never been in a fight,never got jumped of mugged.
Did some legitimate research on the Internet. Pikeville Kentucky crime statistics.
per 100,000 Assaults Fights,Muggings IN 2004 ( 6) 2005 (10) 2006 (6) 2007 (8) 2009 (7) 2010 (4) 2011 (3) 2012(3)
With a population of 6800 and Pike county statistics based on per 100,000 Pikeville may have a fight or a mugging once every 2 years.That is based on statistics drawn from Pike County crime records.
To make doubly sure , I called the Pikeville Police Department.
The lady officer that answered the phone was very helpful when I asked if she would answer some questions.
As far as muggings , she was not aware of any ever having been reported in her years on the force . There is no gang activity..There are no gangs.
Street fights or assaults , none as far as she could remember. Most people in town know each other.
The point being that , YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.
You have no clue . It is even doubtful that you ever witnessed a shoving match , let alone a fight.
Stick to what you do best ,whatever that might be.
But, do not get into a debate about something that you have watched on TV or possibly may have experienced while having a nightmare and pretend that you are knowledgeable on that subject.
If you are ever in Buffalo ,stop at Master Khechens School of Tae Kwon Do.
We will give you 3 self defense lessons for FREE.
If not ,google it .. Then you will be able to confirm what a fool you are ,, and how much you know about nothing

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#111717 Aug 26, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
And "guidelines" are not necessarily "bad" things.
Kind of like stop signs, stop lights, civil laws and common sense.
Sure. Just don't pretend religious guidelines are based on literal Biblical readings. Why do you need Noah's Ark to be a true story in order to have a guideline that we can also derive from secular ethics, such as "don't hurt people"?

Location hidden

#111718 Aug 26, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
You can dress it up any way you like.
What Darwin wrote speaks for itself.
He shows himself to be Heartless ,cruel , inhumane and uncaring about those less fortunate than he.
He singled out those who are least able to defend themselves and whom are in the greatest need and declared them to be unfit to be part of the human race.
Darwin would have fit very well in the governments of Hitler , Mao , Stalin and Pol Pot.
Your excuses and those of Yiago are unable to disavow the facts.
You need to take a moment to understand history before you speak about it.

If you know anything at all about Darwin you could not say what you just said honestly. He was, by and large, a decent man.

Now, he was also a product of his time. He was a committed capitalist and certainly held racial and social views common to the Victorian era.

But you are trying to paint this historical figure with a broad, and ignorant brush. You really need to read up on the subject more. You sound like a total idiot when you say these things.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you are probably not a total idiot and you don't want to sound like one.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#111719 Aug 26, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
How to Hide Your Different Identities While Posting onThe Internet
Rule no. 1 Alter characteristics in your writing.
Rule NO.2 If accused of using multiple monikers , deny it using the following verbiage
"Anyone with any stretch of the imagination could easily see the different characteristics in all our writing abilities."
In an aside; I was very sure that you had never been in a fight,never got jumped of mugged.
Did some legitimate research on the Internet. Pikeville Kentucky crime statistics.
per 100,000 Assaults Fights,Muggings IN 2004 ( 6) 2005 (10) 2006 (6) 2007 (8) 2009 (7) 2010 (4) 2011 (3) 2012(3)
With a population of 6800 and Pike county statistics based on per 100,000 Pikeville may have a fight or a mugging once every 2 years.That is based on statistics drawn from Pike County crime records.
To make doubly sure , I called the Pikeville Police Department.
The lady officer that answered the phone was very helpful when I asked if she would answer some questions.
As far as muggings , she was not aware of any ever having been reported in her years on the force . There is no gang activity..There are no gangs.
Street fights or assaults , none as far as she could remember. Most people in town know each other.
The point being that , YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.
You have no clue . It is even doubtful that you ever witnessed a shoving match , let alone a fight.
Stick to what you do best ,whatever that might be.
But, do not get into a debate about something that you have watched on TV or possibly may have experienced while having a nightmare and pretend that you are knowledgeable on that subject.
If you are ever in Buffalo ,stop at Master Khechens School of Tae Kwon Do.
We will give you 3 self defense lessons for FREE.
If not ,google it .. Then you will be able to confirm what a fool you are ,, and how much you know about nothing
Do me next.... I grew up on the Westide of Detroit, and lived at Trumble and Calumet..... What are my odds of street fight or two?

Now I'm just an old, grumby, curmudgeoney ex army hillbilly and don't do fighting... That's why god made guns.... Oh..and assorted cutting blades....

[I know one of you B'Lever's are going to jump, like a 8 year old girl with a spider on her neck, on "god made guns" thingy and claim I have some deep psychological agreement in a big guy in the shy... You would be grasping at rubber chickens.... It's colloquial saying and points to less faith than more..... Examples: "Man it's hot!" "I know that's why god made air conditioners.".."Dam n, My Chevy truck is stuck in the ditch!" "That's why god made Fords."..."You see that video of the cops in the shoot out fired 12 rounds and missed every shot at 30 feet?" "That's why god made 20 round mags"....]
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111720 Aug 26, 2013
Hey Mantle! My location is not hidden! Because I'm not a pansy! Why is your location hidden?
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111721 Aug 26, 2013
LOL don't forget Q.... Mantle thinks everyone stays within 500ft. of momma's back door like he does.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111722 Aug 26, 2013
laughing my ash off... anyone who will take the time to look up stats on one county in Kentucky really needs to get a life! I've never experienced a Man-Crush before, but Mantle I'm not homosexual so you can stop your obsession of me. Seek counseling dude.

Location hidden

#111723 Aug 26, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to take a moment to understand history before you speak about it.
If you know anything at all about Darwin you could not say what you just said honestly. He was, by and large, a decent man.
Now, he was also a product of his time. He was a committed capitalist and certainly held racial and social views common to the Victorian era.
But you are trying to paint this historical figure with a broad, and ignorant brush. You really need to read up on the subject more. You sound like a total idiot when you say these things.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you are probably not a total idiot and you don't want to sound like one.
And what may these racial and social views entail? Obviously , being a "decent man" his views must have been very well reasoned , based on facts and when applied , made this a much better world.
They most assuredly would not be used to denigrate nonwhite races.
No preaching about White superiority , or a superior Aryan race.. nothing like that..
Enlighten us ?
In an aside;Given the Flatulent mental minds of some of the posters on Topix , being called an idiot by someone with that mentality can well be considered a compliment.
I'm just saying....
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111724 Aug 26, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
I would hope that you do not believe that what you experience on Topix is reality.
This is a fictitious world , inhabited by fictitious monikers.
Many of the persons responsible for those monikers are in dire need of mental counselling and are afflicted by multiple personality disorders.
I will not mention names as I am sure you know who I am alluding to....
I practice my Christianity in the REAL WORLD , where it counts.
I view Topix as the home of professional Atheist Agitators hiding behind their computers.
I , in turn , am foolish enough to respond to their agitating in like manner.... Not in all cases...
Once in a while , I will insert what I deem to be a reasonable response.
Do you make it a habit of responding to fictional characters? Y yes you sure do! I think Alice needs to get out of wonderland! But of course he seems satisfied in his land of delusions. lol

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#111725 Aug 26, 2013
"I would rather make mistake in kindness and compassion than work miracles in unkindness and hardness."

"We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature – trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence… We need silence to be able to touch souls."

Silence gives us a new perspective.

Location hidden

#111726 Aug 26, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Do me next.... I grew up on the Westide of Detroit, and lived at Trumble and Calumet..... What are my odds of street fight or two?
Now I'm just an old, grumby, curmudgeoney ex army hillbilly and don't do fighting... That's why god made guns.... Oh..and assorted cutting blades....
[I know one of you B'Lever's are going to jump, like a 8 year old girl with a spider on her neck, on "god made guns" thingy and claim I have some deep psychological agreement in a big guy in the shy... You would be grasping at rubber chickens.... It's colloquial saying and points to less faith than more..... Examples: "Man it's hot!" "I know that's why god made air conditioners.".."Dam n, My Chevy truck is stuck in the ditch!" "That's why god made Fords."..."You see that video of the cops in the shoot out fired 12 rounds and missed every shot at 30 feet?" "That's why god made 20 round mags"....]
HMMMM, I read wwhere you say you are southern born.You claimed to have been raised in the mountains of Kentucky.
You claimed to have gone to high school in Kentucky and hunted for copperheads while attending High school.......in Kentucky
Now , we find you growing up on the west side of Detroit.
I do believe somebody be lying here.
Anyhow ,find somebodty else to do you. I don't do men,only women and only my wife.
If ,as you say , you grew up in Detroit via Kentucky ,however you managed to accomplish that , then you need not know how to fight. just disappear from one state to another.
You have finally ended up in your natural state "Insanity"
If you had a fight when you were a Kid and want to share it with us,,,OK by me...If you are claiming to be well versed in street fighting and want to share your strategies...Ok By me.
Lodi had nothing to share,, and although I have been razzing him about it,In the long run , it is better to claim that you have never gotten into a fight than to admit that you have.
The fact that you got into a fight does not prove one's manhood.
Any fool can get into a fight... A wise man is he who will find a way to avoid a fight.. Getting into a fight is easy. It takes 2 fools... and they can be found anywhere at any time.
The hard part ,where your courage is truly tested , is walking away from a fight.
Anyhow , this subject has been milked for all it;s worth..
At least as far as I am concerned...

Location hidden

#111727 Aug 26, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
And what may these racial and social views entail? Obviously , being a "decent man" his views must have been very well reasoned , based on facts and when applied , made this a much better world.
They most assuredly would not be used to denigrate nonwhite races.
No preaching about White superiority , or a superior Aryan race.. nothing like that..
Enlighten us ?
In an aside;Given the Flatulent mental minds of some of the posters on Topix , being called an idiot by someone with that mentality can well be considered a compliment.
I'm just saying....
Again, you need to understand historical figures in the context of their own times. Darwin, Churchill, Genghis Khan, or whoever it might be.

Darwin was part of the "landed gentry" of his time. An Englishman to the core and a "gentleman of natural philosophy". This was the time when British Empire was at its peak. There was definitely a strong sense of *progress* that the English associated with being white and, in particular, being English. It is absolutely true that most people, Darwin included, assumed that white people were superior to black people. It was a terrible time for social justice no doubt about it.

But what you are probably getting at is the claim that Darwin's theory lead to Social Darwinism and more racism. In fact, that stuff was already there. It is very true that guys like Herbert Spencer saw a progressive idea in Darwin's theory. They saw it as if nature by virtue of god had a plan and that the success of Britain was evidence that the British were at the apex of the plan. I think it was Spencer who coined the phrase "survival of the fittest" because he felt it was more to the point than "natural selection". And it is true that Darwin started using that phrase himself after a few revisions of The Origin of Species.

Darwin was not immune to the hubris of his time. Not at all.

But his theory wasn't about progress or racism. Read his book. Read a variety of books on the history of that time period and Darwin himself. He spend decades working on the idea, making sure it stood up to scientific scrutiny. He created a theory about the way life changes over time that was purely naturalistic in its language and mechanism. He states many times that evolution is not directional.

However, being a person of his own time, he DID often talk as if evolution had a direction. He did make comments and held beliefs that, by our modern sense, makes him sound like a complete racist. By comparison to just about any of us today he certain was a racist. But he was by far not the kind of slobber-mouthed racist you think of when that word is used. He was a gentleman, a total science nerd. He spent his days looking at barnacles and beetles, not telling jokes about black people.

Anyway, my broader point is that history must be viewed in context. That's something often hard to do. I am guilty of judging certain historical figures through a modern eye. Hell, it is not even fair to criticize Bible authors for being ignorant. They couldn't help it. They were working with the best they had. And they produced an epic set of stories, sometimes dreadful to read and sometimes quite lovely. When understood in context, that is.

Have some respect for history. That's all.

Location hidden

#111728 Aug 26, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
Hey Mantle! My location is not hidden! Because I'm not a pansy! Why is your location hidden?
Must be cause I'm a pansy like all the other atheists on topix , who also hide their location.
Maybe Q or someone else can answer that question.
Come to think of it , you can answer that question yourself.
I do believe you are using quite a few monikers where you are hiding your location..
GOTCHA KABOOM LOL
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111729 Aug 26, 2013
It's obvious Mantle has never had a fight in his life.
P.s. Hey mantle, big difference in instigating a fight, and fighting when approached by someone in an aggressive manner...That's what I typed from the beginning if you had sense enough to read what I typed. Sometimes You Have To Fight WHEN you're a MAN.....not to BE a man! By your comments, you've never been successful in any fight you've had, I doubt you've ever had one.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111730 Aug 26, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
Must be cause I'm a pansy like all the other atheists on topix , who also hide their location.
I do believe you are using quite a few monikers where you are hiding your location..
GOTCHA KABOOM LOL
I know where they live you DOLT!

#111731 Aug 26, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
HMMMM, I read wwhere you say you are southern born.You claimed to have been raised in the mountains of Kentucky.
You claimed to have gone to high school in Kentucky and hunted for copperheads while attending High school.......in Kentucky
Now , we find you growing up on the west side of Detroit.
I do believe somebody be lying here.
Anyhow ,find somebodty else to do you. I don't do men,only women and only my wife.
If ,as you say , you grew up in Detroit via Kentucky ,however you managed to accomplish that , then you need not know how to fight. just disappear from one state to another.
You have finally ended up in your natural state "Insanity"
If you had a fight when you were a Kid and want to share it with us,,,OK by me...If you are claiming to be well versed in street fighting and want to share your strategies...Ok By me.
Lodi had nothing to share,, and although I have been razzing him about it,In the long run , it is better to claim that you have never gotten into a fight than to admit that you have.
The fact that you got into a fight does not prove one's manhood.
Any fool can get into a fight... A wise man is he who will find a way to avoid a fight.. Getting into a fight is easy. It takes 2 fools... and they can be found anywhere at any time.
The hard part ,where your courage is truly tested , is walking away from a fight.
Anyhow , this subject has been milked for all it;s worth..
At least as far as I am concerned...
I guess where you come from they don't have cars.....

Best of both worlds....

#111732 Aug 26, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
GOTCHA KABOOM LOL
Since when have I ever hidden who or where I am?

Come on down, we'll leave a light on for ya.....
sarah b

Hinesville, GA

#111733 Aug 26, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>When "debating" hits the bottom level of just more kindergarten level sand in the sanbbox slinging of personally just insulting others...then for some of us, the debate's then over.
I have absolutely no
Idea what you are saying???? Really, do you think you could try to have a conversation and use sentences we can understand?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 12 min Maria 1,833
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 24 min Pagan 16,146
Madison County school board 24 min Lawyer 1
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 30 min SHARING 151,384
Word Association (Jul '10) 36 min White Fire 18,881
Big Worlds Mower 54 min Donald Sterling 41
Tracey Powell (Jun '13) 59 min Funny 10
•••
•••
•••

Richmond Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Richmond People Search