Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148905 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#111448 Aug 23, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow,,,,,,
I am sure that Barrack Obama would understand my comments to be meant as a joke in response to an attempt by an Atheist to bait me.
FYI I not only voted for Obama twice , but also contributed to his campaign.
I am a great admirer of MLK and I have accepted a Jew as my Lord and saviour... That being ,Jesus Christ...
As an aside; I do not consider those who wrote the Bible , as inspired by God , as ignorant goatherders.
So you "feel" you are not racist, so this joke must not be racist? That is some logic you have going on.
I would not be so sure you can know what Obama thinks.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111449 Aug 23, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you have to let them into your home before you ask them stuff to get the party line laid out for you, But the last batch that came to my house came with a couple kids and a mom & pop operation and they would not hang around when I kept taking about the benefits of being a Amway distributor.....
I had them over several times. They don't seem to be open to my ideas, so I cannot understand why they expect me to be open to their ideas.

Since: Feb 12

Rancho Cordova, CA

#111450 Aug 23, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
How can a person know which religion is right?
(1) On what are its teachings based?
Ring ring telemarketing text from Known Fact... "end is near, buy watchtowers and JW books".

Ans:
(1)
None.

(2) Teachings are based on what men wrote.

(3) Cannot pass an outsiders test.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#111451 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well I guess you can believe Jesus lets you be all sorts of things, as the Jesus never was very specific about anything.
So just how do you interpret this passage?
"You have heard that it was said,'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, don't resist him who is evil; but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also. If anyone sues you to take away your coat, let him have your cloak also. Whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and don't turn away him who desires to borrow from you.
Matthew 5:38-42
"Give to him who asks you, and don't turn away him who desires to borrow from you."

I can get behind that, But I charge interest....

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#111452 Aug 23, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You have the opinion that atheism is based on ignorance, thoughtlessness, and emotional and mental instabilities. Admittedly, some portion of the non-religious public displays some of those attributes - but the descriptors apply to very few of the skeptics who post on Topix. Oddly enough (from your skewed POV, anyway) it actually describes the fundamentalist posters fairly well.
Am I/we supposed to be intimidated by your typing gunshot sounds? Are you proposing that you'll make WitW sorry? Do you wonder why people sneer at "your Christianity"?
The Atheists who post on topix have been sneering at Christianity looooong before I came on board,,, That is a LAME excuse.
If you are intimidated by the word Bang , then you have mental problems for which I do not have a cure.
I do believe that Du What gave a proper response to the Atheist's problem.
You guys expect to demean and ridicule our beliefs at your pleasure and not expect an in kind reply.
Then , when you get one , you get all bent out of shape.
"You are a Christian. You are supposed to turn the other cheek "
Therefore , you feel you have free license to demean withouit any repercussions.
I do not believe Christ wanted us to be floor mats for Atheists or anyone else.
To put it bluntly . I may permit you to slap me and turn the other cheek , up until you reach the conclusion that you are being a bully and abusive and discontinue your abuse.
If I determine that you will continue to bully and abuse me at your leisure , there will come a time when I will punch you in the mouth and kick you where the sun don't shine.
For the time being , I still like you.
But don't push it. I do not have the patience of Job... LOL

In an aside; I thought you posted that I should be ignored .

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111453 Aug 23, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
I just cannot imagine wasting two minutes to judge anyone personally to such extremes, based on ANY collective label of "affiliation", most especially with out knowing them. That seems to me, to be just a scapegoat reason to allow for hatred, or ignorance.
Now, Please explain why you harbor such disdain collectively, for those who may believe differently than yourself?
If MD wishes to explain why HE seemingly harbors some of the same type of disdain, certainly he is able to do so himself as well.
You failed to point to any hypocrisy here.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111454 Aug 23, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
The Atheists who post on topix have been sneering at Christianity looooong before I came on board,,, That is a LAME excuse.
If you are intimidated by the word Bang , then you have mental problems for which I do not have a cure.
You guys expect to demean and ridicule our beliefs at your pleasure and not expect an in kind reply.
Therefore , you feel you have free license to demean withouit any repercussions.
To put it bluntly . I may permit you to slap me and turn the other cheek , up until you reach the conclusion that you are being a bully and abusive and discontinue your abuse.
If I determine that you will continue to bully and abuse me at your leisure , there will come a time when I will punch you in the mouth and kick you where the sun don't shine.
So you "feel" Jesus does not wish you to turn the other cheek in this instance? I guess you can just ignore his statements on the issue, but that strikes me as hypocritical. I guess if you do not believe in the words he spoke, then technically you are not being a hypocrite. But then you are not really being a follower of Jesus at that point either. You are being a follower of your own mind. For that, I applaud you. I can deal with someone with their own mind, but I must always point out hypocrisy.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111455 Aug 23, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
,"You have heard that it was said,'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, don't resist him who is evil; but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also. If anyone sues you to take away your coat, let him have your cloak also. Whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and don't turn away him who desires to borrow from you.........until the time you determine that you will continue to bully and abuse me at your leisure , there will come a time when I will punch you in the mouth and kick you where the sun don't shine.

up until you reach the conclusion that you are being a bully and abusive and discontinue your abuse

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111456 Aug 23, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's a little different , in some ways...in some ways not. Ho'ing is ho'ing and drug using is drug using. When the "labels of affiliation" are stripped anyway, it's all the same then, absolutely no difference whatsoever, and trying to use "atheism" to justify any of it (including the condemnation of others for such) would be no different either.
What? This makes no sense. First, what is atheism using and how is it hypocritical?

I am pretty sure the Christians being caught in homosexual acts are not "using" Christianity as a defense.

I see no comparisons in your post. It is basically gibberish.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111457 Aug 23, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>My Jesus let's me be REAL, As in not PHONY.
And that includes laying it back to hypocrite BULLIES.
Shall we review the define of hypocrite again?
By your own admission "My Jesus" you believe; and in doing so must adhere to his instructions that he has laid out for you to follow!
You have Failed!
Now what you have accomplished is proving your hypocrisy......(the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion)
In order for you to understand this...you must first understand the meaning of hypocrite, and I really don't think you do.
As evidenced by this post, Sista has no idea what hypocrisy means.

Sista says
Well, that's a little different , in some ways...in some ways not. Ho'ing is ho'ing and drug using is drug using. When the "labels of affiliation" are stripped anyway, it's all the same then, absolutely no difference whatsoever, and trying to use "atheism" to justify any of it (including the condemnation of others for such) would be no different either.

Rancho Cordova, CA

#111458 Aug 23, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the third commandment? "Thou shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain?"
I always felt that meant not to profess that you align yourself with God as your lord, but then act like a complete @SS.
Seems like taking it to mean "Thou shalt not cuss" is a cheap and easy cheat - as I've come to expect from the contingent across the aisle.
I think that you are correct in your thinking. Many people believe that using the title God automatically means their God you are cursing. Since I'm a trainee God I know what I'm talking about.

Jesus hey suse, Yahweh, Jehovah are not real names of the Jewish or Christian God or G-D. So if I hit my finger with a hammer and said "dam Jesus christ" that is not talking God's name in vain. That would be only cussing.

I understand it would be disrespectful in the presence of religious ones who think your talking about their God in a disrespectful way as would a lot of plain old cussing .

Ephesians 4.29

"Let no corrupt speech proceed out of your mouth, but such as is good for edifying as the need may be, that it may give grace to them that hear".

As a trainee God "not really" I see nothing other than cussing in itself would qualify as taking God's name in vain. Meaning not living up to the commands required by the bible.

So I agree with your understanding on this also.

Location hidden

#111459 Aug 23, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Then by your position 90% of religious folks have no brains.. Because 90% of religious folks expect a repayment for their efforts... Even those that give without expecting a financial gain, as do every evangelist I have ever met, expect a seat next to god for their good works or at the very least a pass on the lakes of fire thing....
Your evangelists don't just pass that plate to feed the poor, even if they have convinced you of such, they do so to pay for their new car, pay their house payments and buy those snazzy suits.....
While the JW's travel about knocking on doors you need to think of them as un-paid income sources for those at the top of the pyramid driving the caddy and living in the big mansion on the hill...
You are wrong and completely misunderstand biblical teachings.
You are saved by grace through your faith , not by your works.
Your works are a reflection of your faith.
You can not buy or earn your way to salvation.
If you read the teachings of Paul and that which is written by James you will get a very clear understanding of what that means.
I would cut n paste it , but that would be meaningless.
If you are interested, look it up and judge for yourself.
Those who may believe that their contributions to the charity or church of their choice will lead to their being awarded a seat next to God will be in for a rude awakening.
Nowhere is that written in the Bible.

Known Fact

Orlando, FL

#111460 Aug 23, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Ring ring telemarketing text from Known Fact... "end is near, buy watchtowers and JW books".
Ans:
(1)
None.
(2) Teachings are based on what men wrote.
(3) Cannot pass an outsiders test.
I am not involved in any telemarketing!

Watchtowers and our books are not for sale!

What do you suggest?
Or what is your point?

London, KY

#111461 Aug 23, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong and completely misunderstand biblical teachings.
You are saved by grace through your faith , not by your works.
Your works are a reflection of your faith.
You can not buy or earn your way to salvation.
If you read the teachings of Paul and that which is written by James you will get a very clear understanding of what that means.
I would cut n paste it , but that would be meaningless.
If you are interested, look it up and judge for yourself.
Those who may believe that their contributions to the charity or church of their choice will lead to their being awarded a seat next to God will be in for a rude awakening.
Nowhere is that written in the Bible.
As I said... 90% of religionist do as they do for personal gain of one kind or another.... Such gain can be financial as seen in the nice homes and Stuff of just about every priest, preacher and evangelist you can name... or for personal aggrandizement so many seek from the pats on the backs they get by having their names on the rolls of what they do so others will know they did a good thing or in the wish for reward from god or fear of punishment after death .....

"Doing an Honorable thing for personal gain or fear of punishment does not an Honorable person make" .. "True Honor is doing the Right Thing when No One is looking"

Rancho Cordova, CA

#111462 Aug 23, 2013
I just contradicted myself "dam Jesus Christ would be cussing and would qualify as taking God's name in vain for religious ones.

I should have said not only is saying GD but cussing in general would be considered taking G-D's name in vain, to clarify.

Rancho Cordova, CA

#111463 Aug 23, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not involved in any telemarketing!
Watchtowers and our books are not for sale!
What do you suggest?
Or what is your point?
Another text telemarketing speech. Propaganda would qualify. Do you buy them or do some JW's get them free?

Location hidden

#111464 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>,"You have heard that it was said,'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, don't resist him who is evil; but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also. If anyone sues you to take away your coat, let him have your cloak also. Whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and don't turn away him who desires to borrow from you.........until the time you determine that you will continue to bully and abuse me at your leisure , there will come a time when I will punch you in the mouth and kick you where the sun don't shine.
up until you reach the conclusion that you are being a bully and abusive and discontinue your abuse
Let me put it to you bluntly Michael.
If you believe you have a license that permits you to arbitrarily slap me without fear of retribution , simply because I am a Christian , you have another thing coming.
After the second slap I will warn you not to do that again.
Now , youj have been warned . Proceed at your own risk.
One more slap and I will most definitely introduce my knuckles to your face.
You sound like the school yard bully most of us are familiar with.
with me , I will permit you 2 free slaps , then a warning.
If you feel big and bad enough to strike me again , because of your arrogance and pride,,, Then you should remember that pride comes before the fall...
And you will surely fall Because I will knoch=k you on your butt.
afterwards we can become friends ,,, but the nonsense will stop
And that pertains not to you personally ,but to anyone to whom it may apply.
Christ did not say at anytime that those who believe in him should become punching bags for unbelievers...
You guys don't believe in God , but continue searching for him.
You don't believe or understand his teachings and based on your misinterpretation expect others to adhere to those rules that you do not understand..
Practice what you preach.
If you don't believe that which you preach, then, don't preach it

Location hidden

#111465 Aug 23, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said... 90% of religionist do as they do for personal gain of one kind or another.... Such gain can be financial as seen in the nice homes and Stuff of just about every priest, preacher and evangelist you can name... or for personal aggrandizement so many seek from the pats on the backs they get by having their names on the rolls of what they do so others will know they did a good thing or in the wish for reward from god or fear of punishment after death .....
"Doing an Honorable thing for personal gain or fear of punishment does not an Honorable person make" .. "True Honor is doing the Right Thing when No One is looking"
I don't know how you arrived at that 90% figure.

Those who give in order to draw attention to themselves or for personal aggrandizement are not doing it based on their faith.

One should not seek praise from man ,but, from God

Matthew 6:3-4

King James Version (KJV)

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

Location hidden

#111466 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you "feel" you are not racist, so this joke must not be racist? That is some logic you have going on.
I would not be so sure you can know what Obama thinks.
Listen up; I am going to share with you something no one knows.
One time and one time only.
If I were to admit to you that I am African American , would you believe me?
If I were to tell you that I know what President Obama thinks because I am part of his inner circle of advisers , Would you doubbt me?
Now , leave me alone..
Like most of the atheists that post on Topix , I am old tired and senile.
Lodi ,Witchetty and Crowman can all vouch for that.
In an aside ,,I did not include Q because I need show respect for the elderly....
Anyone who rides cross country on a motorcycle with his hands off the handle bars has earned my respect...
Of course , one may question his sanity...but that is for another day

London, KY

#111467 Aug 23, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know how you arrived at that 90% figure.
Those who give in order to draw attention to themselves or for personal aggrandizement are not doing it based on their faith.
One should not seek praise from man ,but, from God
Matthew 6:3-4
King James Version (KJV)
3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
I arrive at that number by my keen observational skills...

Such as point out you just validated my point with "Those who give in order to draw attention to themselves or for personal aggrandizement are not doing it based on their faith.
One should not seek praise from man ,but, from God"

Seeking Praise from God is exactly what I said... That is by Definition self aggrandizement...

I say one should do the Right Thing when No One, Not even the assorted gods, are looking simple because it's the Right Thing to do....

That about that a bit, mull it over in your head, and get back to me....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Let's Halt or Reverse Our Landslides 3 min Lol 38
Jim Barnes stinks as mayor of Richmond 1 hr John Q Citizen 7
The problem 1 hr Truly sad 10
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 2 hr Jennifer Renee 38,050
How many 3 hr Heartbreaking 3
GYM lifters 4 hr tideman 1
Leona brown 4 hr Leona 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages