Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 156470 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#109218 Jul 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>There is no way to prove. You have to experience it for yourself.
Most all churches have gospel truths within its doctrine. So many feel the Holy Ghost and remain in that church that they felt His influence. Not many keep asking more and more questions and keep following His promptings. It really isn't easy, so I can understand why.
When I was 13 I thought I felt the "feeling" you're talking about but you need to think no one would drink the kool aid if they didn't feel that feeling either.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#109219 Jul 29, 2013
Yes the book can make you feel good but most people I know dig deeper in it and well ,become you. The Republican Party have the religion all wrapped up. Think about it, they are using you to support killing TONS of people, making the 1 percent richer, hAting the poor black mother, thinking its okay to kill unarmed children, hating gays, being paranoid gun owners that want to put the law in their own hands. I can not be apart of that and it's not because I'm sick but because I care about humanity!!!! What about the mothers going crazy and drowning their kids? I know this will be deleted since all of my post have but come on? What does your God think about all this race hating ( protect the USA from Mexicans) or how the land he gave you is treated???? Answer this please???

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#109220 Jul 29, 2013
SistaNoneyaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't go that far...simply because realistically, anyone TRULY honest and decent, would have to say they "do NOT know".
ANYthing else would just be a Big, Old, LIE. LIE-LIE-LIE.
And as far as the darkrer side of that LIE would go (because the ligher side is harmelss)...
I cannot ever imagine LYING to a little child, or anyone who might think differently-- just for the reason earthly clinicalness.
EVER. As that would just be CRUELITY.
And that type of cruel rhetoric takes a low down dirt bag scum and/or a cold hearted psychopath.
Actually it's not like a light switch with a Know and a Do Not Know...
It's more akin to a dimmer switch and moved one way or the other based on Evidence... with the available evidence the dimmer is slid to the Know position at about 99.9%.... Now if you have some actual Evidence that can be Tested, Verified and Repeated by Non Biased experimenters you can move it the other way.... I'll wait..........

“I was born a poor, black child”

Since: Jan 07

that weren't no easy thing

#109222 Jul 29, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm guessing you have Big Ole' Jaws, Long Dragging Knuckles, you're Hairy, and you stay confused. Isn't it time you evolved bro? O and everyone who does not agree with you are all one person using thousands of Monikers just to pizz you off. We all have one thing in common, and that has been proven beyond a doubt; We all Know You're an Idiot.
Amen!
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#109223 Jul 29, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
Honestly, to have Curious as your Moniker, the one thing you fail to be curious about is how to use the correct words in sentences. Now if we could just get you to pay more attention to that and not some paranoid chit that everyone on this forum is one person out to get you, we would all be happy campers, at least we could follow your insane post a bit better. Hell, most of the time I find myself passing your posts up because I feel my IQ level must drop to your level to understand you.
Let me see If I can explain this to you .... one would have to "Dumb themselves down to your level" when reading your post so that they could get some meaning from them, because they are literally that stupid.
I've only posted with this Moniker, everyone has told you numerous times the same thing, yet you refuse to listen to reason. Since I've been posting here, I can't count the times you've accused everyone at some time or another as being other people. You have mental issues/problems, I wonder if those are brought on by your Religion or lack thereof? I'm not going to argue with you Curious. I never argue with idiots or fools because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience! Hooked on phonics may be beneficial to you, Check it Out!

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#109224 Jul 30, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true, except, that Atheists are afflicted by a much higher degree.
Why might that be?
It is claimed that it is due to their unbelief.
Those who preach unbelief exacerbate these problems, therefore, they have a moral responsibility to help resolve the problem they helped to create.
My grammatical problems ,real ,or imagined ,do not jeopardize any one's health.
Moreover,it is not anyones concern, regardless of which moniker you choose to post under.
I still maintain that,like those Atheists who attend religious services ,you keep posting on Topix ,looking for that for which you were wired..........
OK, that's twice you've made a suggestion that I post under different names. Why?

To be absolutely clear, I post under this login only. Several years ago I posted briefly under a different name without an actual login but I don't even remember what name I used and I only posted for a week or two.

Is there some reason you keep making this assertion? I realize other people have claimed that you post under different names, which may or may not be true. But that's really not a reason to make the claim about other people, especially when you have no evidence or reason to do so.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#109225 Jul 30, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true, except, that Atheists are afflicted by a much higher degree.
Why might that be?
It is claimed that it is due to their unbelief.
Those who preach unbelief exacerbate these problems, therefore, they have a moral responsibility to help resolve the problem they helped to create.
My grammatical problems ,real ,or imagined ,do not jeopardize any one's health.
Moreover,it is not anyones concern, regardless of which moniker you choose to post under.
I still maintain that,like those Atheists who attend religious services ,you keep posting on Topix ,looking for that for which you were wired..........
Regarding atheism, you keep making this assertion that atheists have more mental problems. I fail to see the evidence for that claim. You posted one study a while back, and it was not a very strong one. If I remember correctly it was a study on people who were already being treated for mental problems or something like that. And among that small group of people they found that those without a strong belief in god were more likely to be suicidal, or something like that.

Pardon me if my skirt is not blown up. You have a study showing that a lot of people who are hospitalized are not happy. Woopidy do.

Luke Galen, an Associate Professor and researcher at Grand Valley State University, has done a lot of work in this area. Here is the abstract from one of his research projects on the mental well-being of the religious and non-religious:

"Previous studies demonstrating a positive relationship between religiosity and mental health have sampled from a highly religious general population with little differentiation between weak religiosity and non-religiosity. Church members are typically compared with non-religious unaffiliated individuals, thus confounding belief with group effects (e.g. social support). The present study examined mental well-being, utilising the full range of certainty of belief or non-belief in God. In the first study, we compared church and secular group members on measures of life satisfaction and emotional stability. The second study used a large survey of the non-religious. A curvilinear relationship was found such that those with higher belief certainty (both confidently religious and atheists) have greater well-being relative to those with low certainty (unsure and agnostics). Multiple regressions controlling for social and demographic variables reduced, but did not eliminate this curvilinear relationship. Mechanisms of well-being may involve a confident worldview rather than religious beliefs themselves."

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13...

I've heard Galen deliver talks on this and other studies. The basic findings are, as I pointed out before, the mental well-being of persons who have a strong sense of belief or unbelief and who have a strong sense of community (being involved socially) is better than those with softer, less certain beliefs (religious but not attending church, agnostics).

Remember that this data is on a spectrum. It does not mean that a highly devout man is necessarily going to outlive or be happier than a pure agnostic. It just means, statistically, the highly devout man has a *slight* advantage in that area.

But so does a firm atheist.

So tell me, where does god fit into any of that data? If I can be a hardcore atheist, join a secular alliance and do social work, and enjoy the exact same benefits that a hardcore Baptist would enjoy then how exactly is god involved?

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#109227 Jul 30, 2013
1st AMENDMENT.......... solves the issue

besides there are 20 major religions

not to count the countless sects/cults

now he is a question , do Atheist send back their Xmas cards and gifts ??????????
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#109228 Jul 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Was I a day or two off? Sorry, that changes everything. I mean it really matters what day the dead all over Jerusalem rose from the grave and walked the streets. It matters what day it was so darned much, everyone decided it was not important to write about.
Diversion is a sign of denial. Denial is the key to faith.
Not only does your postings prove the Bible, and God True...
If... You'd read the Bible, as you said...
You'd know the one word that proves God, and the Bible are true, and
that word is "Israel"!
I'll let you investigate why!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#109229 Jul 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Again you bait and switch to avoid the points made.
Denial, denial, denial.
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am well aware many believers of god fall prey to lies. This has been the root of the atheist pleas here. We feel the heart of the bible is but lies. You and I believe the Koran is full of lies.
The difference is, I do not use double standards.
The Existence of God is NOT lie you refer to!

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#109230 Jul 30, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Not only does your postings prove the Bible, and God True...
If... You'd read the Bible, as you said...
You'd know the one word that proves God, and the Bible are true, and
that word is "Israel"!
I'll let you investigate why!
the bible proves nothing ... it is the faith that one has .. you believe , then in your mind so be it
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#109231 Jul 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well that changes everything. I guess as long as Uriah was not his best friend, all of my points are invalid. Having him sent to the front lines of war is fine to do to less than best friends in order to steal his wife. My bad.
\
Nice bait and switch. Not like it is a trend with you and all the Christians here.
Did I say, What he did wasn't Wrong?
NO!
But someone who supposedly read the Bible, as you say...
Shouldn't make as many mistakes in their quotes of it!
King Saul's son Jonathan was his Best friend, so much as to be his brother!
See... If your going to lie/misquote as much as you do...
how can we trust anything you say?
You can deny God all you want, but that is to your account, not ours!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#109233 Jul 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did I quote you incorrectly? Well that changes everything......Not.
You are pro bible in schools and anti evolution science books in school. This is my main point, but I understand you must bait and switch with every post you make in order to remain in denial of our points.
You can believe the lies of evilution all you want....
By Magic... Non-life produced Life... Go for it...
Just don't teach children that Godless Tripe!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#109234 Jul 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>When was the flood? How deep was the sea then? How high were the mountains then and what you do base your claims upon?
46-4800 years ago, I wasn't there to measure the height of the mountains back then, but the clam fossils on Mt. Everest proves it was under water!
I use the Bible for my source, as it is far more Trustworthy that man!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#109235 Jul 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>First, I never claimed psychology cured people, but nice diversion. Psychology can help people though.
I am sure you cannot show evidence for Christ curing anything, anymore so than psychology could.
My argument stands, psychology is something atheists can turn to for help. This contradicts the claims made that I proved wrong.
"psychology is something atheists can turn to for help"
Like drinking a cup of water while drowning???
Turn to Christ... You get better results!
He cured my depression in about a half a second!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#109236 Jul 30, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>46-4800 years ago, I wasn't there to measure the height of the mountains back then, but the clam fossils on Mt. Everest proves it was under water!
YaA, the clam fossils aren't on Mt. Everest, they're in it. If there is anything that proves the Bible to be more trustworthy than man, it has to be the Christians - and that sure ain't saying much in its defense.

London, KY

#109237 Jul 30, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>The Existence of God is NOT lie you refer to!
I agree it is not a Lie to you for it to be a Lie you would actually have to think there was no god and then say there was.... The Word is Delusional... You have been Deluded into Absolutely Believing in magic therefore you are not Lying... No more than the poor soul that is not lying when he truly Believes Elves and says they are real... No more than the Greeks that Truly Believed in the gods on Olympus when they said their assorted gods were real.... No more than the Billions of long dead ancient peoples around the world the Truly Believed in their 1000's of assorted gods when they stated categorically, They Are Real....

London, KY

#109238 Jul 30, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>46-4800 years ago, I wasn't there to measure the height of the mountains back then, but the clam fossils on Mt. Everest proves it was under water!
It's where you make statements like that folks tend to question your mental capacities...
SisterNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#109239 Jul 30, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
No, roughly 80% of the US population claims to be Christian, and that directly correlates to the 80% of inmates who also claim to be Christian. It has nothing to do with fooling parole boards or seeing the error of their ways though born again salvation.
Get real.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#109241 Jul 30, 2013
SisterNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Get real.
Right... prison is a crucible for the wholesome introspection which leads to born again salvation. How insensitive of me not to consider the real world through your eyes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
In The Morning 22 min Never going to ha... 10
Thoughts of you 23 min pure 69
I Want To know What I Can Do 1 hr Curious 922
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 1 hr Fungail 39,571
Big Wayne barrett 2 hr Yep 3
EKU Aramark (Mar '10) 5 hr Seth 69
Essmer Collins 10 hr Essmer Collins 2

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance