Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,113

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108638 Jul 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>...laws were......man-made tradition.
BRILLIANT! Did you just recently have this serendipitous enlightenment?
Have you read the New Testament? Jesus plainly tells them this

Location hidden

#108639 Jul 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>I'm guessing you have your head hidden under the couch cushion again. I'm sorry. I take it back. Better now?
I'm fine. Your remark just didn't deserve more effort

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#108640 Jul 22, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
You never read the book of Fernando? The parable of the Dancing Queen?
I must have missed that one. Too bad, it might have been more entertaining than all the "begats".

Location hidden

#108641 Jul 22, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't Believe in Good guys and Bad Guys... I Know from 60 years of personal experience there are Good Guys and Bad Guys... and some that are varying amounts of each.... There are people that would have no better fun than to find you and your family out and about, tie you to a tree while they scoop you child's eye balls out and force feed them to you wife while they rape her with a red hot poke and cut your eye lids off so you have to watch... If you don't thing such bad guys exist, you are living a delusional life....
I carry a side arm where ever I go just in case the day ever comes when folk like you become a victim....
http://youtu.be/23uPQgaJ24Y
Yes, I'm aware that people do terrible things. I was being hyperbolic, pointing out that the language "good guys and bad guys" in conjunction with any discussion of carrying a god-damned loaded gun around in public underscores how dumb it is.

I realize most carriers hide their guns and I won't even know they are around. But when I do spot someone carrying and I know they are not law enforcement I keep my kids the hell away from them. Especially when they talk like it's a 1960s western.

But hey, takes all kinds to make the crazy world go round.

Location hidden

#108642 Jul 22, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>So let me follow your logic. If I tell you something that isn't true I'm either a) lying or b) crazy.

Do you not have room in your equation for other options? For example, what if Jesus didn't say anything about magic or being the son of god? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Mark mentioning the whole "son of god" thing. If not, and since it was the earliest text, that means it is likely that the magical stuff was added later, like I said.

That would mean Jesus might have been sane and might have simply said things that were on par with a modern hippie. Loopy, but not fraudulent. And not necessarily crazy.
The entire Bible, both Old and New Testaments speak of Jesus being the Son of God.

You are totally unprepared to have this discussion. Please go read Mark again and tell me there are no mentions of Him claiming to be the Son of God or fantastic miracles.
Then I can indeed call you a liar.

Location hidden

#108643 Jul 22, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>If LDS members are drafted in the military and called to go to war, are LDS o.k. with killing other LDS members that serve in the enemy countries that we might go to war with?

When LDS members go to war, who are they serving, God or man?
Great question. It is something that disturbs many members of any Christian religion. I personally view this as self defense. As a country, we normally go to war to defend our country (or at least that's what they have us believe), so we are defending our families. I would not take pleasure in taking the life of another individual, but if it were done to save the life of a family member, I would do it.
I don't think that means it is "ok", but I see it as necessary to defend our country.

Different scenarios are numerous, but it all comes down to the unfortunate situation they are placed in. Have you seen "Saints and Soldiers"?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#108644 Jul 22, 2013
thank god wrote:
Please thank god for everything. It may make ur life better. Tell him your troubles and ur life may get better...
Please thank Thor for everything. It may make your life better..........

You can thank imaginary beings your whole life, but if your life gets better it does not mean that being made it so. Your life getting better depends upon your efforts and the actions of others. Thank them and pat yourself on the back. Give credit to those who actually helped.

Location hidden

#108645 Jul 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The entire Bible, both Old and New Testaments speak of Jesus being the Son of God.
You are totally unprepared to have this discussion. Please go read Mark again and tell me there are no mentions of Him claiming to be the Son of God or fantastic miracles.
Then I can indeed call you a liar.
You are the second person who chose not to read the words "correct me if I'm wrong". So you dismiss my entire point? I was trying to be fair to your boy, Jesus. I was trying to give you some middle ground between liar and nutcase.

The Hebrew Bible never mentions Jesus Christ. Not one time. Ever. Not. Once.

You should go and read it sometime. It's dreadful.

Mark has no real miracles in it, right? Jesus didn't rise from the dead in Mark. Mark was written earliest. Each subsequent gospel adds more elaboration and miracles. By the time you get to John it's a friggin' circus.

That's precisely how legends grow. Do you not find that slightly suspicious? Why doesn't the Bible come right out of the gate from page one with "Jesus, the son of god, who walked on water and rose from the dead, is your lord and savior"?

Location hidden

#108646 Jul 22, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If what the bible claims of Jesus is what Jesus actually said, then yes, he is either crazy or a fraud.
But their is a good chance the bible is not citing correctly what the man called Jesus actually said. You see, it is all hearsay.
Also their is a debate of just what the "son of man" actually meant. Even believers of Jesus being a deity have disputes on its meaning.

People even today claim to be deities. Some even teach some good things, but non of the claims mean they are truth.
A crazy person can be a good person and teach some good things.

For all we know, Jesus could have been lead to believe he was a deity and believed it himself. This does not mean he was crazy in the sense of a medical disorder. It could simply be a sort of brainwashing. Just look at the Dalai Lama's of the past and today for a textbook example of this phenomenon.
How does the Bible show Jesus is a fraud or a liar?

And what makes you think Jesus was delusional?(Lead to believe He was a diety)

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108647 Jul 22, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Do not fret over your son's unbelief. He still has time.
If he fails to realize the error of his ways,we can hope that his chidren will break the curse of unbelief.
BTW your self serving statements make you appear even more foolish.
We know that an unbeliever does not attend a religious service out of curiosity.
It is very likely that the unbeliever is there looking for answers to the BS he /she has been fed by Atheists.
Possibly,the unbeliever has read the studies that have concluded that unbelievers have a higher rate of mental and emotional problems,are more likely to abuse drugs and alcohol and more likely to commit suicide.
Knowing that unbelief is the cause of those problems,they are probably looking to save their families from such a fate...
After all,if one really loves their family,you really want the best for them
I have been to church services many times since being atheist. The reasons vary. Many times it is due to family or friends asking me to come with them. I often oblige for politeness.

Interesting how your speculation for our motives is actually also due to a curiosity, and yet you do not even know it.

And why would an atheist fret over our offsprings lack of belief? That had zero logic.

If you consistently make contradictory statements, why would we think you have the correct beliefs?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108648 Jul 22, 2013
How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong!
So you cannot articulate a rebuttal?

Location hidden

#108649 Jul 22, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Please thank Thor for everything. It may make your life better..........
I do, every Thursday.
But on Wednesdays I thank Odin, for that's Odin's day.
http://tapiture.com/image/frost-giants-odin

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108650 Jul 22, 2013
<quoted text>I know what the Bible says!
1 time.... Muslims off heads like you drink water!
Buy a clue!
So you cannot articulate a rebuttal?
I know what the bible demands.....non belief-off with your head!

Thank goodness secular men no longer allow Deuteronomy to be enforced.
Why? Because Deuteronomy demands immoral acts.
Now why would I follow a book that demands immoral acts?
Can you or any Christian here answer this or are you all going to divert and run to the denial cave?

I get that you do not follow Islam due to its immoral demands, but why do you have a double standard for your bible?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108651 Jul 22, 2013
<quoted text>Because...
Only ONE God came, and saved me!
You will meet Him soon!
Again you fail to articulate a rebuttal.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108652 Jul 22, 2013
<quoted text>We are like the fish in a pond...
Not knowing the realm just out of the water!
God has not told where He came from, as It says...
He is the beginning, and the end...
You will see Him, ask Him!
The universe has not told us where it came from either, so why insist your beliefs must be true when you cannot show?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108653 Jul 22, 2013
<quoted text>Who says it's a complete lie???
You, or the People that told you it was a lie???
See... You believe a God haters view!
I Believe in the God that saved me...
See the difference?
If you cannot show your claims about dating the earth, then why should we believe they are a truth?
Am I to believe someone with the motive of proving a god over the overwhelming majority of scientists?
Science is not out to prove god exists or not. You and your propaganda have massive motive to lie. Science gains nothing if it proves god is myth. This it is less likely to have motive.
Religion has everything to lose, and that ten percent of members income tips the list.
This is massive money and it equals massive motive.

Location hidden

#108654 Jul 22, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Just to poke the fires....
The Math is useless...
Say no more.
\_(&#12484;)_/

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108655 Jul 22, 2013
CivilLawandEthics wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the subject matter.
Why do idiots answer rational questions with stupid questions--because it is too difficult for them to actually have to think, and form rational answers to rational questions?
Made ya actually think huh.
GOOD, y'all should actually have to do that from time to time.
All this made me think is, you have no good rational reason to use different names.
Where the name is to be put on topix is to identify the poster, not the topic.
You refuse to use the common rules of society yet expect to be taken as a rational person?
Refusing to use a consistent name only makes me ignore your actual points.
Why? Because I cannot follow a line of posts from you if you are not using a consistent name.
You see, society has a valid reason to use consistent names for people. You evidently this society is all wrong about this concept.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108656 Jul 22, 2013
CivilLawandEthics wrote:
<quoted text>
That's all rational, until anyone inserts the reality of that "free will" stuff...hense IRRATIONALITY.
(so ummm seems like mankind over milleniums hasn't always follered just one pattern of thought now doesn't it. WHOA! Imagine that. Who'd've thought it!
Geez.
You mean differing religions are only natural? I agree. It is as if no real god is actually a part of any of this.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108657 Jul 22, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
The most ethical people I know are just that-ethical, with some morals and integrity enough to walk the walk (not just fake and phony speak of them) as well, and are tolerant of OTHERS and their DIFFERENT beliefs (providing they are not harming others) in a world full of imperfections-those that can exist in better ways, with out having to go around HATING on ANYthing (INcluding BOOKS that others might like to read-and that others read FAR differently) as well--as in NO labelDUHMlabel required-just PEOPLE as they are...not as they merely WISH (UNrealistically) people were.
And those that can accept sincere apologies-are truly the blessed ones...because HATRED is TOXIC.
You don't seem to realize who this rebuttal was about (yes and amen). YAA is the typical hater of atheists. He hates most science books and wants them out of schools. Now I see this as harmful. Maybe you do not, but that is your business.
You consistently see religion as harmless. Did you forget about 9/11 already?
We demonstrate on a daily basis our problems with religion yet your short term memory seems not to keep these grievances in mind.
It is not the belief we hate, we hate the negative actions of believers due to the beliefs.
Now can you comprehend this concept?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 6 min Another Vet 7,312
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 31 min UdiotRaceMAkeWorl... 155,486
Word Association (Jul '10) 49 min Jennifer Renee 19,153
Add a Word, Drop a Word (Sep '11) 52 min Jennifer Renee 17,284
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 53 min Jennifer Renee 28,796
eriksen chiropractic in richmond ky 57 min Noloss 2
Ginger Bailey 57 min Hmmmm 1
Missing teen girl in Berea (Jun '13) 4 hr mr brady 7,517

Richmond Jobs

Richmond People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Richmond News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Richmond

Personal Finance