Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
99,381 - 99,400 of 129,006 Comments Last updated 52 min ago

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>The CORE of religion is refusing to call mythology what it is. The LDS is not the largest church organization in the world. Like it or not, what the Vatican decrees is relevant to you.
No, it doesn't. Nor does what Hindu's believe have any affect on me. I do not subject myself to their direction.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Is this religion?
Yes, you asked. I didn't bring it up. You did. I answer your questions.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Is this religion?
Again, I was asked, so I answered.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I have talked about religion a lot. I can do so all day. But on abortion, I'm trying to speak your language and leave religion out. I'll be glad to insert it back in if you keep asking me to.
What am I guilty of exactly?
And as for your feelings on the zygote, refer to my last post about caterpillars.
You can leave the language out all you wish, but we know it is not out of the equation with you. So your refusal to address the points is just another sign you have poor answers.

We are telling you why we feel aborting a zygote is not immoral. Now you cite it being a human is why we should not do it but as we have shown, we disagree it is a full human. So your line of argument is not valid in our opinion. Potential human or human-like is not a valid reason to condemn aborting a zygote, in my opinion.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>And yet it is the conservative front that resents spending money on education and benefits for children - even for food. Love the fetus, ignore the child?
Why blame government officials for this? We can do things on our own to change this.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, it does make me feel better to know that if a woman elects to end her pregnancy the fetus will never know about it or feel it in any way. That should make you feel better too.

Then she can get on with her life. Go to school. Fulfill herself. And when she's ready to have a kid, if she wants to, she can do it. The kid she has will benefit from her wisdom and her love.

We won't agree on this. Ever. But for me this is about suffering vs. not suffering. I don't care about god, souls, or magic. I care about reality.

In Mexico last year there was a 10-year-old girl who was raped repeatedly. She got pregnant. Because their abortion laws are so strict, she was denied an abortion.

She had a baby at 10.

"She was raped repeatedly by her stepfather when she was 10 years old, but local laws do not allow terminations after three months."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/10-year...

Does that make you feel better or worse?
Adoption should be made easier so she can get on with her life.
Some people realize at different points in their life that a child is preventing them from doing other things. Should it be acceptable for a career driven woman to decide that her 4 year old is keeping her from becoming a surgeon, so she will just end his/her life so she can go on with her own?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, but when you were shown the stats, you ran as always.
I'm the one that brought the multitude of stats to the discussion. What are you accusing me of running from?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You are guilty of claiming a ghost gives you answers, yet you cannot show us one does.
I can't ask the Holy Ghost for answers to questions that you want answered. He isn't a magic 8 ball. If you want particular answers from Him, you have an equal amount of access to Him as I do.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it doesn't. Nor does what Hindu's believe have any affect on me. I do not subject myself to their direction.
So you do not understand why we oppose religion?
You can chose to run from our points, but we feel all religion is related. Christianity is closely related to what you follow. So ignoring what the Christian religion has done or is doing is a cop out. You promote Christianity. You promote the deity that is related to what Christians do.
You also run from what your church has done or is still doing. Your church had systematic discrimination for over a hundred years.
And now you are running from my questions about promoting birth control.
You run when it is convenient to run. You associate when it is convenient to associate.
According to your ideas here, other than 14 million people, none are following the true religion. Out of seven billion, this number looks tiny. Looks as if no holy ghost exists.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So far I have. Re-read my posts if you don't believe me.
I haven't been engaged in the conversation. My comment was intended as a general statement, and not one to single you out.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm the one that brought the multitude of stats to the discussion. What are you accusing me of running from?
Then when confronted with the our stats, you ran. Yes, you run. I stand by that accusation.
Care to answer the question about your church not promoting birth control or are you going to continue to prove me correct about running?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Yet without medical assistance, nature aborts a hundred times more than purposeful. Medical science is the only reason most human offspring are even born alive. Medical science is the only reason most of those are healthy enough to live even longer. Medical abortion is just undoing what medical science has done.
No one in my immediate family needed any medical assistance at all to get pregnant or keep their children alive until birth. So I'm not sure why you are saying this. As I have a huge family, you saying "most" should have affected my family by probability.

You are suggesting that without medical assistance, children would rarely be born. How do you explain the population of the earth up until the modern medical age? You are making some very off the wall assumptions that have thousands of years of evidence that you are wrong.
And this isn't even relevant. If a child isn't born because of natural causes, it has nothing to do with forcefully stopping a child from being born. You are making it sound like people are creating life in a Petrie dish and then pouring bleach on it when the bell rings at the end of class.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't ask the Holy Ghost for answers to questions that you want answered. He isn't a magic 8 ball. If you want particular answers from Him, you have an equal amount of access to Him as I do.
"He"? Now this ghost is a male? Not a magic 8 ball? You sure describe him as one, but when confronted with a test, you bail and run.
How convenient.
Evidently the ghost ignores seven billion people about what church is true.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Why blame government officials for this? We can do things on our own to change this.
I'm not blaming government officials for "this." I'm blaming a faction of We the People - of which the government employees are not the whole, but certainly are a part.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No one in my immediate family needed any medical assistance at all to get pregnant or keep their children alive until birth. So I'm not sure why you are saying this. As I have a huge family, you saying "most" should have affected my family by probability.
You are suggesting that without medical assistance, children would rarely be born. How do you explain the population of the earth up until the modern medical age? You are making some very off the wall assumptions that have thousands of years of evidence that you are wrong.
And this isn't even relevant. If a child isn't born because of natural causes, it has nothing to do with forcefully stopping a child from being born. You are making it sound like people are creating life in a Petrie dish and then pouring bleach on it when the bell rings at the end of class.
If you look at mortality birth rates before medicine, you will see the population did not grow as quickly.
But many people back then had multiple babies due to the mortality rate. Many if not most had, or tried to have several children. Most always, some died.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You can leave the language out all you wish, but we know it is not out of the equation with you. So your refusal to address the points is just another sign you have poor answers.

We are telling you why we feel aborting a zygote is not immoral. Now you cite it being a human is why we should not do it but as we have shown, we disagree it is a full human. So your line of argument is not valid in our opinion. Potential human or human-like is not a valid reason to condemn aborting a zygote, in my opinion.
What am I not addressing?

This zygote develops characteristics of a human by 4 weeks. Therefore even by Webster's dictionary definition, it is human.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

LEGIONS wrote:
Quantummist writes:Net time you speak to the Doc ask him One Question.... Doc, What Specifically Defines Life?..
two basic "ingredients" in living systems are DNA (or an equivalent nucleic acid) and protein. DNA is the molecule of heredity, and proteins are the fundamental molecules of structure and function.
this and the post above pretty much defines life.
So, according to you the Doc's complex simplest life form can be Alive if it is striped of all the addon and consists of a chain of 4 chemicals that can produce a single protein... But of course that's not true... DNA is a chain of base pair chemicals and since we only have the base pairs we see in earth bound organisms we cannot say other variations on the theme do not exist.. As for Proteins we find the complex amino acids that forms them in asteroids and free space.. They rain down on the earth daily from the metric tons of space dust landing on the planet. The same basic complex organic molecules are raining down on trillions of planets throughout the Universe.....

No the Post above does not define Life.. It defines an Aspect of Carbon Based Organic Living organisms on Earth as we know them... But man has only come to know of such aspects in less than 100 years and inserting God Did It into a yet to be filled Gap in human knowledge is a Bias that makes old Doc's assertions invalid....

In All of Science the question "What Constitutes Life" has been kicked around for decades and to date there is no Specific concept that defines Life...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/20249616/ns/technol...

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Bub, denial is not a defense. Nutball Muslim extremists have had a huge impact on you. PACs have an impact on you. You coexist on a planet with 7 billion other humans in a country that has over 300 million other humans. You are governed by a democratic republic. "Render unto Caesar...".

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I gave you Webster's dictionary definition of the word. If you are smarter than them, by all means submit your own dictionary to the public.
You are so arrogant that you can't take the definition that Webster's gives. So I told you to look in the mirror for the definition. I can't help you anymore if you can't figure out the definition of a human.
As for your ridiculous comparison to other animals, show me one that aborts their babies, then this might be relevant.
I already explained how that definition is fine in a literary sense. Rejecting it as applies to this discussion is not arrogance; it is a simple matter of it being insufficient and you apparently being too stupid to get that. You cannot define things using the same word. Period. And I'm not the one with the definition of "human" that would allow animals to meet it. That's you.

FYI, some monkeys are known to abort their fetuses when a more fitting mate shows up. Not that it matters to this discussion in any way. You arbitrary rule that I can't apply your poor definition of human to beings that may fit it (simply because they don't abort) is irrelevant. Give a better definition. And then explain what "living" is for that "human".

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you do not understand why we oppose religion?
You can chose to run from our points, but we feel all religion is related. Christianity is closely related to what you follow. So ignoring what the Christian religion has done or is doing is a cop out. You promote Christianity. You promote the deity that is related to what Christians do.
You also run from what your church has done or is still doing. Your church had systematic discrimination for over a hundred years.
And now you are running from my questions about promoting birth control.
You run when it is convenient to run. You associate when it is convenient to associate.
According to your ideas here, other than 14 million people, none are following the true religion. Out of seven billion, this number looks tiny. Looks as if no holy ghost exists.
What would "promoting" mean to you?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the Richmond Forum right now

Search the Richmond Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min Commietator 147,084
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 14 min Flint hill bandit 16,132
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 27 min Flint hill bandit 1,021
the Detroit dudes 1 hr poor girl 31
Misty Combs Damrel (Jan '13) 3 hr MistyIsMyKin 9
Any combat veterans out there? (Aug '13) 4 hr KYGomer 83
To All Of Those That Like To Critize Me 6 hr translation 76
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 8 hr Jennifer Renee 28,167
•••
•••
•••
•••

Richmond Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000