Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 161226 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

curious

Winter Garden, FL

#103675 May 15, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, those nasty atheists and their dictionary they created after the fact just to make you look stupid.
There is NO "evidence". None. Nothing needs to be disproved. Any scientific person has the same standard for evidence for any claim being made, whether it is the existence of Sol or the existence of the Christian God. There are no double standards here. No propaganda, no bias, no arbitrary dismissal. The same process that (as I mentioned earlier) gave us the knowledge to turn rocks into the computer you read these words on is the process that rejects your claim of the existence of your God. Sure, you can move your fingers around on the keyboard, click the mouse, send the information to servers hundreds of miles away, allow it to be seen by any connected person anywhere on the planet and in fact by people in space, and scream, essentially: "YOUR PROCESS IS INVALID!". But you're a stupid hypocrite and we're all going to laugh at you.
Tell you what... if science is wrong, go get naked and live in a cave without our science or anything that we've gained through science. I will, in turn, live completely without religion, since I think it's wrong. That way you can stop being a hypocrite and I can continue to live in a manner consistent with the things I type here.
<quoted text>
You, too. Idiot.
Unable to defend your beliefs and certainly unable to contradict what I have posted about my faith,you strike out like a petulant child,who does not get his way.
Anm I to be impressed or feel intimidated that you all would laugh at me? Why would you think I would care?
Just because you think religion is wrong,I asm supposed to go get naked,as you suggested.?
You have some very serious problems,,and I do not want you to share them with me.....I can not help you..

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.pixoto.com/quantumm

#103676 May 15, 2013
Needanewdishwasher wrote:
<quoted text>
Quit sucking up all the bw or i'll send you a lag bill!
Let me think about it.... Um.. No...

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#103677 May 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Either the Universe was created by a Superior Intelligence or it came into existence,from nothing,by nothing.
If it came into existence from nothing,caused by nothing and from there we end up with the Universe as we currently know it.
Our planet and the life contained therein,all as a result of Nothing taking control and effectively bringing into existence this awesome universe and magnificent planet we live in.
Then I would have to proclaim,The wonders of nothingness are wonderful to behold
The wonders of the universe *are* awesome.

And you are arguing a false dichotomy. Why must the universe have been created by a "superior intelligence" or nothing at all? How do you know this to be the case? It sounds very much like an assertion without base.

Show me your logic and your evidence to back that statement up. It is, after all, a claim about reality. I live in reality too. So it's a claim about my world.

Show me the money.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU ask "Yet faith is about faith, not evidence, right?"
Says I...You are wrong,but that is the propaganda that Atheists
promote"blind faith"
My faith demands evidence and that evidence has been more that amply supplied to my satisfaction,by GOD
You are unable to accept or understand the evidence that God has provided me and therefore you arbitrarily dismiss it as false.
You can call it magic,delusions,waving a magic wand,coincidences
What you are unable to do is,disprove it..
You can not believe,but neither can you disprove the evidence,your attempts are futile,therefore your frustration
A woman called you about a lost dog ad.

Now you believe that a supernatural, all-powerful man lives in the sky and listens to your personal prayers.

If that's your idea of evidence then your bar is low indeed. Hell, I would at least ask for a phone call.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#103678 May 15, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Dig us some reading material out on the Sumerians that is relatable then, ya sorrytail. Whatyathinkthisishere, a robot @ your fweeloafing command?
If ya haven't noticed, I'm not a great fan of cut and paste. Ya like ancient history, splittail? Remember yer biblical place and step and fetch, chattel.

#103679 May 15, 2013
<quoted text>
My Videos suck up tons more band width than my photos...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist...

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#103680 May 15, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
My Videos suck up tons more band width than my photos...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist...
Got a photo op for you if you get down this way. I've been seeing a breeding pair of golden eagles around the property. One got my cat last Thursday :(
I suppose curious might call it vengeance of God. I call them birds of prey.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#103681 May 15, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
The wonders of the universe *are* awesome.
And you are arguing a false dichotomy. Why must the universe have been created by a "superior intelligence" or nothing at all? How do you know this to be the case? It sounds very much like an assertion without base.
Show me your logic and your evidence to back that statement up. It is, after all, a claim about reality. I live in reality too. So it's a claim about my world.
Show me the money.
<quoted text>
A woman called you about a lost dog ad.
Now you believe that a supernatural, all-powerful man lives in the sky and listens to your personal prayers.
If that's your idea of evidence then your bar is low indeed. Hell, I would at least ask for a phone call.
A fool can not see,what is clear to a blind man.

For what if some did not beleive?Shall their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect?
God forbid,
Yea let God be true and every man a liar?

As to the former believers

For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them. What the true proverb says has happened to them:“The dog returns to its own vomit, and the sow, after washing herself, returns to wallow in the mire.”
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#103682 May 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
A fool can not see,what is clear to a blind man.
For what if some did not beleive?Shall their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect?
God forbid,
Yea let God be true and every man a liar?
As to the former believers
For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them. What the true proverb says has happened to them:“The dog returns to its own vomit, and the sow, after washing herself, returns to wallow in the mire.”
The word “curious” has two meanings:(1) eager to learn something,(2) strange/unusual. Since you only offer answers and ask no question, you don’t appear to be curious in the first sense. Your answers arise, albeit seemingly unwittingly, from verbal gymnastics and riddled thinking. Why talk in puzzles?
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#103683 May 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Don’t let them throttle my bandwidth. Keep the Internet free so the scholarly exchange can continue on Topix.

#103684 May 15, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Got a photo op for you if you get down this way. I've been seeing a breeding pair of golden eagles around the property. One got my cat last Thursday :(
I suppose curious might call it vengeance of God. I call them birds of prey.
Where's "Down this way" would love to get a shot of a Eagle landing on a nest... I have gotten one fishing and a few in flight but none really came out nice...
Bible and Science

Logan, WV

#103685 May 15, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The bible makes no claim of the earths age. You are repeating what some man calculated if the names in the bible were the only generations of humans ever and man was on earth from the first week.
You are clearly a victim of propaganda.
The Bible starts with Genesis and God created the Heavens, Man, Animals and everything else in first 6 days... Then follow time line about 4,000 years til Christ and 2,000 after ....
Bible and Science

Logan, WV

#103686 May 15, 2013
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, my research indicates that the levitathan is described in Job 41 and mentioned in Isaiah 27:1. However, you breach logic when you make a huge leap of faith to believe that it was probably some dinasaur-like creature and that lived alongside modern man. I have no problem with your making either of those assumptions, but not as a logical consequence of any solid empirical evidence. It’s quite OK to believe what you believe because you believe that’s what the Bible teaches, but doing so does not require that your belief is a result of scientific inquiry.
Science is not a comprehensive, rock solid account of everything we want to understand. It is only a method of systematic inquiry guided by disciplined thinking, including logic. There are more gaps in our knowledge of the universe than facts understood. Such gaps are not flaws. In science, flaws reference failures adhering to its principles and methods.
Religion is working well when it provides all the answers. That’s not the purpose of science.
You must have faith in the Bible and God.... Science has many flaws if you have faith and accept God's word the Bible works far better than scientific explanations.....
Bible and Science

Logan, WV

#103687 May 15, 2013
Bible and Science wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible starts with Genesis and God created the Heavens, Man, Animals and everything else in first 6 days... Then follow time line about 4,000 years til Christ and 2,000 after ....
You can follow the timeline in the Old Testament by adding the ages when each individual dies that is provided.... Then after Jesus we use that calendar now....
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#103688 May 15, 2013
Bible and Science wrote:
<quoted text>
You must have faith in the Bible and God.... Science has many flaws if you have faith and accept God's word the Bible works far better than scientific explanations.....
Please specify any one of the “many flaws” that you attribute to science.

Also, please demonstrate the validity of your assertion that the Bible works far better than scientific explanations.

Your opportunities abound.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#103689 May 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Unable to defend your beliefs and certainly unable to contradict what I have posted about my faith,you strike out like a petulant child,who does not get his way.
Anm I to be impressed or feel intimidated that you all would laugh at me? Why would you think I would care?
Just because you think religion is wrong,I asm supposed to go get naked,as you suggested.?
You have some very serious problems,,and I do not want you to share them with me.....I can not help you..
In order:
No. My beliefs don't need defending, as I believe in reality (i.e. not some garbage that I only believe because some superstitious desert dweller scribbled it on parchment millenia ago).

You don't know what contradict means. Or what faith means. Buy a dictionary.

You should be neither impressed nor intimidated. You should realize that you sound stupid and consequently unf*#k yourself.

No. You don't believe in science, therefore you should either live without its benefits or acknowledge that you are just another stupid hypocrite (as everyone else already recognizes you).

Unfounded stupid attack. Do better, moron.
Ye of lil Understanding

Georgetown, KY

#103690 May 16, 2013
kuda wrote:
The big problem with the Bible is that it hasn’t really changed for centuries even though the world and our understanding of it has changed considerably and continues to do so at a maddening pace.
The big problem with fundamentalist Christians is that their adherence to, interpretation of, the Bible hash’t changed for centuries even though the world and our understanding of it has changed considerably and continues to do so at a maddening pace.
Some fundamental Christians not only refuse not to change their interpretation of the Bible, they also refuse to live in the present. Their world is still flat. The moon landing was obviously filmed on a sound stage here on Earth. Jesus didn’t drive a car, so they sick to a beasts of burden for transport. The Bible was translated to an older version of English, to they pray with words like thee and thine.
Time travel is easy. If you don’t already live in the past, just travel a few miles or spend some time with your Christian neighbors. Most are nice people. Some are not.
“Feel free to crucify me for believing differently.” WWJD
It hasn't changed because... It's RIGHT!
Your understanding is... you WANT to do this, that, AND the other thing, and the Bible says "It is a SIN!".
That is the TRUTH, that IS the ONLY Reason!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#103691 May 16, 2013
Bible and Science wrote:
http://www.inplainsite.org/htm l/scientific_facts_in_the_bibl e.html
ALL Great posts!
God Bless :-)
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#103692 May 16, 2013
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me preface my comments with a warning that the link on your post triggers an application named “witnessingtool,” which is flagged as a potential security risk.
I suspect you have posted your series of three links about the Bible being scientifically accurate in response to my post about problems that often occur in Biblical interpretation. I see no problem with Biblical interpretations that are facilitate living effectively in the present as a member of society at large. Lots of Christians are able to fit well in modern society. Many function effectively as scientists and/or mathematicians.
Some people, however, have major problems in this regard. Michelle Bachman, for example, recently asserted her belief that god is punishing the US for immoral behavior through a pattern of terrorist attacks, which she interprets as her cue to advocate that we should return to living in the past. There are advocates for teaching creationism as a valid theory despite factual evidence refuting it. Living nearby are religious groups that ride in black, horse-drawn buggies and discourage their members from mixing with “the English.”
I would welcome your discussing these issues with me, but it is difficult to respond to a series of links lacking any personally written narrative from you. Please feel free and encouraged to talk. I love to argue, but I don’t bite unless bitten first.
McAfee didn't flag it!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#103694 May 16, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So then you have no supportive evidence, thus, you just made up this "soul" thing.
Whatever you want to believe!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#103695 May 16, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no children in wombs.
There is, and that's your problem!
Clueless to the simplest Truths!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Am I Supposed to Climb The Ladder of Succes... (Nov '14) 2 hr Paul Edward Hiero... 7,597
blondie 5 hr Trump 2
store on keenland 5 hr Trump 2
Anyone here know Angel King? 7 hr John 10
Martin Contracting 7 hr old fart 2
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 8 hr Fungail 40,887
NEW GAME*****Last Word + 2**** (Aug '15) 9 hr Hatti_Hollerand 374

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages