Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,417

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#94808 Feb 8, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I can appreciate your logical reasoning from a human standpoint. But the creator knows what is best for us. You want to think that is a probitition from eating or drinking blood. I'll give you a senero that will help to clear your understanding. Lets say you were in a terrable auto accident, the Dr. says you need blood, you agree for him to give you whole blood. The nurse comes in with several pint glasses of blood and tells you to drink it all. Yuck you would never do that. Now explain the difference! At least if you drink it, it passes through your digestive system and cleans it somewhat of some impurities. But if you shoot it straight into your viens there all kinds of risks including AIDS Hepititus C any number of STDs Jaundice etc. Really blood is bad medicine no matter what a Dr. might say. And too there are blood subtitutes like saline solution that does pretty much the same thing as a blood transfusion without the risks.
Holy crap, dude. This is nuts. Seriously, dangerously nuts.

First off, you lose with the statement that the "Creator" knows best.

There is a fundamental and HUGE difference between injection and consuming any substance. One enters your stomach through the throat, the other goes through the skin and into the bloodstream directly. If I put food in your stomach it gets digested...broken down into usable and unusable components then dealt with correctly, if everything goes right. If I put a cheeseburger into your blood stream it would surely kill you. It would be like putting sand in a gas tank.

Now, there are risks to infusions. There are risks to eating a peanut butter sandwich. When I was about 9 my cousin got choked eating a pb sandwich. My aunt had to Heimlich him.

Should we avoid eating pb sandwiches?

Medical procedures all carry risk. You have to do the cost-benefit analysis and decide if they are worth it. Clearly, absolutely UN-controversially (outside of certain fringe belief systems) blood transfusions are worth the risk in cases where blood is needed.

Someone else mentioned that organ transplants are now ok with the JW. Is that true? Because I guarantee you will not get an organ transplant without getting some blood. And I'm not just talking about your own banked blood. There's almost certainly going to be some blood from the other person in that organ, even if it is trace amounts.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#94809 Feb 8, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians.
Christians. For no good reason.
The same one that enslaved people in the first place - Christians.
Kill fruit trees that are out of season. Pay taxes. Stop throwing rocks at people.
Any other questions?
Looks to me like the Missionaries were trying to HELP the natives..
It was the Military (no religious background) that wanted them moved!
Description: Statement by Elizur Butler, Christian missionary living in the Cherokee Nation, extracted from a letter dated June 20, 1831. Butler describes a meeting that took place between himself and Colonel Sanford at Camp Gilmer. Colonel Sanford voices his disapproval of missionaries and threatens to imprison Butler again or forcibly remove him and his family if he does not move. Butler states that Samuel Worcester, another missionary to the Cherokee, and himself are intent on staying in the Nation until they are removed by force.
Notice the words "Catholic Church"... NOT True Christians, but a bastard creation of Constintine!
http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_burn2.h...

Prior to the 9th century CE: There was a widespread popular belief that evil Witches existed. They were seen as evil persons, primarily women, who devoted their lives to harming and killing others through black magic and evil sorcery. The Catholic church at the time officially taught that such Witches did not exist. It was a heresy to say that they were real. "For example, the 5th century Synod of St. Patrick ruled that 'A Christian who believes that there is a vampire in the world, that is to say, a witch, is to be anathematized; whoever lays that reputation upon a living being shall not be received into the Church until he revokes with his own voice the crime that he has committed.' A capitulary from Saxony (775-790 CE) blamed these stereotypes on pagan belief systems:'If anyone, deceived by the Devil, believes after the manner of the Pagans that any man or woman is a witch and eats men, and if on this account he burns [the alleged witch]... he shall be punished by capital sentence." 1
Any Questions???
Yes!
What are you afraid of???
God is real... No matter what you believe!
Repent, turn towards Chist... You will be glad you did!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#94811 Feb 8, 2013
You all have a Great day!

:-)
bible says

Elkhorn City, KY

#94813 Feb 8, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks to me like the Missionaries were trying to HELP the natives..
It was the Military (no religious background) that wanted them moved!
Description: Statement by Elizur Butler, Christian missionary living in the Cherokee Nation, extracted from a letter dated June 20, 1831. Butler describes a meeting that took place between himself and Colonel Sanford at Camp Gilmer. Colonel Sanford voices his disapproval of missionaries and threatens to imprison Butler again or forcibly remove him and his family if he does not move. Butler states that Samuel Worcester, another missionary to the Cherokee, and himself are intent on staying in the Nation until they are removed by force.
Notice the words "Catholic Church"... NOT True Christians, but a bastard creation of Constintine!
http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_burn2.h...
Prior to the 9th century CE: There was a widespread popular belief that evil Witches existed. They were seen as evil persons, primarily women, who devoted their lives to harming and killing others through black magic and evil sorcery. The Catholic church at the time officially taught that such Witches did not exist. It was a heresy to say that they were real. "For example, the 5th century Synod of St. Patrick ruled that 'A Christian who believes that there is a vampire in the world, that is to say, a witch, is to be anathematized; whoever lays that reputation upon a living being shall not be received into the Church until he revokes with his own voice the crime that he has committed.' A capitulary from Saxony (775-790 CE) blamed these stereotypes on pagan belief systems:'If anyone, deceived by the Devil, believes after the manner of the Pagans that any man or woman is a witch and eats men, and if on this account he burns [the alleged witch]... he shall be punished by capital sentence." 1
Any Questions???
Yes!
What are you afraid of???
God is real... No matter what you believe!
Repent, turn towards Chist... You will be glad you did!
since u point out the catholics it is good to know that they control all the original scriptures and things and guess who isnt aloowed to see them...no one but the higher priests of the vatican. they tell all what the bible says in one way or the other so i beg to say that every christian is somewhat a catholic whether they like the idea or not. they control the source so they control what u or anyone else thinks is actually wrote in them. who is to say its not even translated and they made the bible say exactly what they wanted it to say. maybe thats why some very important people from the bible had their scriptures left out when the final cut was released. for example the book of enoch, the book of mary (thought to be magdalene and not his mother), and the life of adam and eve that tells eves side of it all. so have u ever thoguht why u only get parts of it when other ppl important to jesus wrote scripture but teirs was left out. what are they hiding?
so true

Morgantown, KY

#94814 Feb 8, 2013
Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers,
But to be fearless in facing them.
Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain,
But for the heart to conquer it.
Let me not look for allies in life's battlefield,
But to my own strength.
Let me not crave in anxious fear to be saved,
But hope for the patience to win my freedom.
Grant me that I may not be a coward,
feeling your mercy in my success alone,
But let me find the grasp of your hand in my failure.

Good Day to you all , no matter where you are , or what you have faith in ...

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#94816 Feb 8, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
In the Bible if animal blood was forbidden how much more would that apply to Human Blood?
What does the word 'abstain' mean?
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
In the Bible if animal blood was forbidden how much more would that apply to Human Blood?
What does the word 'abstain' mean?
It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: 29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.

IN CONTEXT - abstain from (don't eat/drink) sacrificial food, abstain from (don't eat/drink) blood, abstain from (don't eat) meat of strangled animals (as food)...
Otherwise, it would mean don't have any blood in your body and don't eat fish - as it has been "strangled" in air.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#94817 Feb 8, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying they are border jumpers and cannot speak English? You claimed no segregation period. You readily jump to false statements and then resort to name calling when your statements are found to be false and deflect from your own lack of integrity.
To be fair, the Hispanic community in his town is huge (41%) and unlike southern and agricultural areas of CA, it is mostly Puerto Rican and Cuban descendants - not border jumpers. That any church has Spanish speaking services is a non issue. There are also growing numbers of Haitians, which addresses the french (actually Kreole) speaking services.

“There's more than one religion”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#94818 Feb 8, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I can appreciate your logical reasoning from a human standpoint. But the creator knows what is best for us. You want to think that is a probitition from eating or drinking blood. I'll give you a senero that will help to clear your understanding. Lets say you were in a terrable auto accident, the Dr. says you need blood, you agree for him to give you whole blood. The nurse comes in with several pint glasses of blood and tells you to drink it all. Yuck you would never do that. Now explain the difference! At least if you drink it, it passes through your digestive system and cleans it somewhat of some impurities. But if you shoot it straight into your viens there all kinds of risks including AIDS Hepititus C any number of STDs Jaundice etc. Really blood is bad medicine no matter what a Dr. might say. And too there are blood subtitutes like saline solution that does pretty much the same thing as a blood transfusion without the risks.
Holy crap - literally. You don't seem to understand biology and resort to scare tactics unfounded in reality to justify your belief system. Please tell me I have misinterpreted your intent because:

1. Saline CANNOT substitute for blood. Red blood cells are required to carry oxygen in the blood. Without red blood cells delivering oxygen, your tissues die of asphyxiation. Saline would do NOTHING but dilute your blood further. There is no substitute for blood, particularly red blood cells and their hemoglobin. If you think that is the case, go ahead and have two-three pints of blood removed and have them infuse you two to three pints of saline. But get ready for a coma and seizures as your blood gets even further diluted in volume. Saline is just water with the proper level of salts - none of which carry protein or required oxygen.

2. Blood products are THOROUGHLY screened for disease. Back in the past, there were errors due to lack of technology to properly screen. There is no risk if the blood is properly screened and typed.

3. Drinking of blood would do nothing but get proteins into the system. Further it would not get them into the system in the required manner due to denaturation and degradation of the required proteins and cellular components. Method of delivery has a DEFINITE impact upon whether it is beneficial or not.

4. Jesus himself had his apostles "drink his blood" and "eat his flesh". While symbolically (or not so symbolically depending on the Christian sect you belong to), this would seem to indicate that he didn't see a problem with it. Why order people to symbolically do things that your religious beliefs explicitly prohibit? Seems to be a bit of an inconsistency.
GWB

Roseville, CA

#94819 Feb 8, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
To be fair, the Hispanic community in his town is huge (41%) and unlike southern and agricultural areas of CA, it is mostly Puerto Rican and Cuban descendants - not border jumpers. That any church has Spanish speaking services is a non issue. There are also growing numbers of Haitians, which addresses the french (actually Kreole) speaking services.

Point well taken.

Not really a issue, but wanted to see how they would respond to that question on segregation of kingdom halls. I see the point of it, yet was surprised that they would take offense and resort to name calling rather than just explain it in a civil manner.

I can see how the persecution complex comes into play even when some simple explanations would do.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#94821 Feb 8, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
See Acts 15:28,29
What I find telling about the Christians and Acts 15 is that they were Hell bent on converting the Gentiles and first told them that they all needed to be circumcised - that didn't go over very well, as you might imagine.
They talked it over and JAMES decided to rescind the Laws of Moses for the Gentiles and just keep the easy stuff on the rationale that "It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God."
And THAT, in a NUTSHELL is why they said it came from the "Holy Spirit" - to authorize changes amenable to the membership campaign.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#94822 Feb 8, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Point well taken.
Not really a issue, but wanted to see how they would respond to that question on segregation of kingdom halls. I see the point of it, yet was surprised that they would take offense and resort to name calling rather than just explain it in a civil manner.
I can see how the persecution complex comes into play even when some simple explanations would do.
Don't get me wrong - it SHOULD be a touchy subject for Christians, but the last thing on their minds is to look in a mirror. There are masses of them who turn a blind eye to bigotry in one form or another. Look at the mega churches across the nation that are primarily white or black. The Southern Baptists were FORMED expressly in support of slavery and didn't apologize for it until the 1990's. By and large, most will rail against this or that group and do it all in the name of "God's love."

Atheists aren't ALLOWED to point out the hundreds of lines of scriptural wisdom that Christians throw at others, and Atheists aren't allowed to place scripture (back) in context if it tousles their social, scientific and religious predilections.
GWB

Roseville, CA

#94823 Feb 8, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get me wrong - it SHOULD be a touchy subject for Christians, but the last thing on their minds is to look in a mirror. There are masses of them who turn a blind eye to bigotry in one form or another. Look at the mega churches across the nation that are primarily white or black. The Southern Baptists were FORMED expressly in support of slavery and didn't apologize for it until the 1990's. By and large, most will rail against this or that group and do it all in the name of "God's love."
Atheists aren't ALLOWED to point out the hundreds of lines of scriptural wisdom that Christians throw at others, and Atheists aren't allowed to place scripture (back) in context if it tousles their social, scientific and religious predilections.
I have talk to some JW about this subject before even asking that here on Topix. The JW said that there is segregation of blacks in the kindgom halls southern states because of race issues, yet blame the racism that exists in their state and not any belief of superiority by the JW themselves. Yes it would be an issue if based on race I agree and understood your previous comments about the segregation for convenience because of language barriers.

I simply think that JW do not even know their own religious history or care to really research it and would be a sin to question it, which could cause their expulsion from the sect.

Atheists and agnostics provide a excuse to give JW's an uneasy alliance with the Christendom that they oppose. You can see how they compliment each other especially on claims they agree with on Topix that opposes scientific and historical evidence.

Unlike atheist who require testing ,evidence both historical and material, the religious are not held to the same strict standards that may be required by a scientist or others who would require more evidence of claims made.

It will be interesting to see in 5 or 10 years how time and discovery will change things.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#94824 Feb 8, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
I have talk to some JW about this subject before even asking that here on Topix. The JW said that there is segregation of blacks in the kindgom halls southern states because of race issues, yet blame the racism that exists in their state and not any belief of superiority by the JW themselves. Yes it would be an issue if based on race I agree and understood your previous comments about the segregation for convenience because of language barriers.
I simply think that JW do not even know their own religious history or care to really research it and would be a sin to question it, which could cause their expulsion from the sect.
Atheists and agnostics provide a excuse to give JW's an uneasy alliance with the Christendom that they oppose. You can see how they compliment each other especially on claims they agree with on Topix that opposes scientific and historical evidence.
Unlike atheist who require testing ,evidence both historical and material, the religious are not held to the same strict standards that may be required by a scientist or others who would require more evidence of claims made.
It will be interesting to see in 5 or 10 years how time and discovery will change things.
2 years of posting, 20 years of internet, 200 years as a nation, 2,000 years of Christianity, 20,000 years to the first dawnings of civilization - and people will be people.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#94825 Feb 8, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible is an inconvenience to the christian cult
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#94826 Feb 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy crap, dude. This is nuts. Seriously, dangerously nuts.
First off, you lose with the statement that the "Creator" knows best.
There is a fundamental and HUGE difference between injection and consuming any substance. One enters your stomach through the throat, the other goes through the skin and into the bloodstream directly. If I put food in your stomach it gets digested...broken down into usable and unusable components then dealt with correctly, if everything goes right. If I put a cheeseburger into your blood stream it would surely kill you. It would be like putting sand in a gas tank.
Now, there are risks to infusions. There are risks to eating a peanut butter sandwich. When I was about 9 my cousin got choked eating a pb sandwich. My aunt had to Heimlich him.
Should we avoid eating pb sandwiches?
Medical procedures all carry risk. You have to do the cost-benefit analysis and decide if they are worth it. Clearly, absolutely UN-controversially (outside of certain fringe belief systems) blood transfusions are worth the risk in cases where blood is needed.
Someone else mentioned that organ transplants are now ok with the JW. Is that true? Because I guarantee you will not get an organ transplant without getting some blood. And I'm not just talking about your own banked blood. There's almost certainly going to be some blood from the other person in that organ, even if it is trace amounts.
You are just so intellegent you know more than the creator! I would say you are about ready to head up your own religion.
The big question you need to ask is: "Does My Religion Please God?"
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#94828 Feb 8, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
The ENGLISH Congregation I attend we have Hillbillys (Me+ some from Kentucky)) Jamacians, Africans, Hatians
several American Blacks, a lot of Pureto-Ricans, You name it we've got it with no class,race or nationality differences.
I know that might be hard for you to believe but it is pretty much the same all over the world!
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#94829 Feb 8, 2013
Oh and one more thing I was talking to a black Jehovah's Witness today who is from Jamacia and he attends the Phillipian Congregation simply because he wants to learn the Phillipian language. He would also like to learn Japaneese but there are not enough here to form a Japaneese Congregation. A lot of Pureto Rican and Mexicans attend our English Congregation wanting to be able to speak better English. Another thing that will blow your mind is the fact I only have 9th grade education in the hills of VA,but I have been well educated in the Bible by attending the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses for over 40 years. And many others can attest to the same!
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#94830 Feb 8, 2013
I admit it has not improved my spelling that much.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#94831 Feb 8, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You are just so intellegent you know more than the creator! I would say you are about ready to head up your own religion.
The big question you need to ask is: "Does My Religion Please God?"
Well, that would depend on which god, wouldn't it? The wrathful vengeful jealous god of the OT or the loving, forgiving, jealous god of the NT?

GWB

Roseville, CA

#94835 Feb 8, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
Oh and one more thing I was talking to a black Jehovah's Witness today who is from Jamacia and he attends the Phillipian Congregation simply because he wants to learn the Phillipian language. He would also like to learn Japaneese but there are not enough here to form a Japaneese Congregation. A lot of Pureto Rican and Mexicans attend our English Congregation wanting to be able to speak better English. Another thing that will blow your mind is the fact I only have 9th grade education in the hills of VA,but I have been well educated in the Bible by attending the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses for over 40 years. And many others can attest to the same!
O.K I will just stick to other things, like the holy spirit(watchtower) was wrong again.

Raymond Franz claimed that in 1980, unease with doctrines surrounding the significance of 1914 surfaced within the Governing Body. In February of that year, three Governing Body members—aware that those who had been alive in 1914 were dying out despite the teaching that their generation would live to see Armageddon—proposed a doctrinal change to identify the "generation" who would see Armageddon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governing_Body_o...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayor Barnes has helped Richmond Ky. Vote for B... 12 min road kill 24
Chemical Spill on I-75 43 min memey 2
angela robinson 46 min iknow 2
Who will be the next Madison County Sheriff in ... (Mar '14) 1 hr Bobby B 1,076
Who is Blond lady who drives new Black Escalade (Oct '12) 1 hr sure 19
Steve Weaver 1 hr brian 61
Did Jim Newby win his lawsuit against the City ... 2 hr THE REAL TRUTH 1
Police car chase in Richmond? 13 hr Winger 379
Laura Durham King (May '13) Tue voter 119
Richmond Dating