Rap Music is an insult to the work of...

Rap Music is an insult to the work of the civil rights movement

Posted in the Richmond Forum

50 year old white man

Berea, KY

#1 Oct 6, 2010
First of all, I would like to say that I am not a racist! Life for black people in this country was horrible before 1965. I am glad that I cannot remember a time when blacks could not enter white restaurants, or drink at the same water fountain, use the same public pool or school. Blacks still face discrimination today and it is not fair. However, black artists that engage in Rap music are a slap in the face of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. They act like a bunch of uncivilized, uneducated, sex-obsessed criminals. For the most part, they have no talent. They cannot sing. They chant nonsense rhymes over background music that was popular in the 1980's because they don't have the ability to write music of their own. The rap culture portrays the black population as primitive animals and feeds the stereotypes that white supremecists love to hate.
a dream

Richmond, KY

#2 Oct 7, 2010
You know this thread will soon be all about black vs. white don't you know,but before that happens I will say I agree with some of your thoughts on rap music. Most people (in general) take the path of least resistance don't they? It is human nature to do so. I don't like rap music either. Martin Luther King died too young and as time passes since his death, his message is fading and being forgotten.
Horse

Dayton, OH

#3 Oct 7, 2010
The sad thing is that there is good rap music out there. It just doesn't get radio play because it's not stupid. Mainstream rap these days has no substance, and that's what sells, sadly.
The general population doesn't want to think to hard about their entertainment. It's fast food mentality applied to music. Crank out the songs as fast as you can, put in as many stupid nonsensical hooks as possible, watch the money pile up.
As long as people keep buying the crap, it won't go away.

There are some great underground rap groups that rap about subjects outside of the mainstream rap box. ie: expensive cars, champagne, jewelry, woman beating, general womanizing, and slinging drugs.
And if these lesser known rappers do rap about such things, there's a story behind it and usually a moral lesson.
The mainstream rappers are just throwing out random words.
Tell me what story does "Lemonade" by Gucci Mane tell?
What story is there within the lyrics of "O LETS DO IT"? Or as they say in the song, "O LAY DOO WEEE".

Granted songs like that are fun, but it's not GOOD music.

I've said it a million times since digital media and production became a popular thing in the early 2000's; Any idiot with a computer can make a rap album these days. And if they're willing to make themselves look absolutely ridiculous to the public, they could make a fortune.

But for those out there that take their craft seriously, in the rap game, sorry...you're tanking around the country in a white conversion van, hauling a trailer, making the minimum wage of the music industry.

As far as the more "hardcore" rap goes that tells stories from the streets...I think those rappers need to take some of that money they are making off their "gangsta rap" and maybe put it back into the community that inspired these songs to try and improve them.
Rappers like Rick Ross and Young Jeezy tell stories, but there's no moral. They're just talking about how much money they made from drug dealing and how they'll cap a N**a for messing with their affairs.
That sends a great message to the kids from their old neighborhood...where Jeezy nor Ross still reside. I guarantee after that first mill they made from their "hit songs" they were out and never looked back. Despite whatever PR they may do to try and prove otherwise.

In conclusion, I challenge people who enjoy the crap they are forcefed on the radio, when it comes to rap, to dig a little deeper. Look for the lesser known rappers that are really doing work for the passion of the music.
Musicologist

Lexington, KY

#5 Oct 7, 2010
Rap music today is rather forgettable. Back in the early 1990's, people were feeling threatened by this genre. But if you go back and listen to jams such as Ice Cube's "It Was A Good Day", Geto Boys' "Mind playin Tricks On Me", House Of Pain's "Jump Around", and some of the Def Jam records....these truly are classics!
Horse

Dayton, OH

#6 Oct 7, 2010
There wasn't much rap/hip-hop, and even R&B that came out in the 90's that I didn't enjoy. In fact, I'd say up until 2003 there was decent stuff being produced and put into the mainstream on the regular. But in the past 7 years it's been a steady decline in the creativity that goes into this genre.
I don't know if the people truly like it so dumbed down, or if they're just forcefed so much of it that they just accept it for all that's available?
RapFan

Richmond, KY

#7 Oct 8, 2010
Like all genres of music, there are both positive and negative messages in rap music. My favorite rapper is Too Short, a west coast rapper who was very popular in the late 1980's and 1990's. He does rap about bitches, ho's, and pimpin', but he also has a lot of positive messages in his music. His song "Life is Too Short" has positive messages about working hard, not doing drugs, and anti-suicide messages. His song "Gettin' It" is probably one of the most positive rap songs ever made. It's about working hard, getting and education, and taking responsibility for what you have or don't have in life. You can hear them both on YouTube. Check it out.
RapFan

Richmond, KY

#8 Oct 8, 2010
cracker

Dayton, OH

#9 Oct 8, 2010
well the rap has changed for sure, but there will always be some artist in all music genres that does songs that eveyone wont agree on, but rap has gotten way out of hand these days, all about shootings, and crap, regular rap is ok, but gangsta rap well thats only allowing our young youth now days thinking there gang members, that makes me laugh here in richmond everytime i go out somewhere when i see a young kid thinking he is a gang banger, they have no clue what a gang is, go to clevelaND and columbus run ito the detroit boyz and the west side mafia, those are true heartless gangs, these kids around here are good kids but lets the gangsta rap influence them.
RAP_needs_to_go

Georgetown, KY

#10 Oct 18, 2010
All other genres of music have come and gone.... It's WAAAYYYY overdue for rap to be gone!!!!!!!!
ThickChick

Lexington, KY

#11 Oct 20, 2010
That's just it... Rap will never die! It's in popular demand, they are making "songs" based on what is going to sell. Do you think that these rappers don't have talent and think that most of their music is crap? I am sure that most have changed the sound of their music solely to bring in money. Yeah some of the songs are stupid but those stupid songs are the first ones you hear when you turn on the tv, radio, go to the club, anywhere. And those are the songs that most of us or our children are out there dancing to. It sells, that's all I can say.

“Boogie Chill'un”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#12 Oct 20, 2010
RapFan wrote:
Like all genres of music, there are both positive and negative messages in rap music. My favorite rapper is Too Short, a west coast rapper who was very popular in the late 1980's and 1990's. He does rap about bitches, ho's, and pimpin', but he also has a lot of positive messages in his music. His song "Life is Too Short" has positive messages about working hard, not doing drugs, and anti-suicide messages. His song "Gettin' It" is probably one of the most positive rap songs ever made. It's about working hard, getting and education, and taking responsibility for what you have or don't have in life. You can hear them both on YouTube. Check it out.
Short Dawwwwgg's in tha house! Have most all of his albums. In fact he and The Beatie Boys make up most of my small rap collection. Ice-T, The Wu-Tang Clan, House of Pain, Cypress Hill, Dr. Dre, and yes, Tone-Loc LOL! Rap is like most genres these days, IT SUCKS! Country blows about as much as the new rap and there ain't much to get excited over in rock music either. Love the classics.
duh

Dayton, OH

#13 Oct 21, 2010
Yes, there is rap like that, which isn't really rap, and is only listened to by criminals and simple minded folks. Then there is real rap:Nas, wu-tang, AZ, Erik B & Rakim, etc. They have real messages and are very intelligent.

Since: Aug 10

Clarksville, TN

#14 Oct 21, 2010
Not all rap is bad. There are some groups out there that are really good, but there is rap that is annoying. People try to imulate these rappers and end up getting in trouble also.

I do not care what color your skin is, white black blue green yellow red. If you go out in the world with your pants around your knees, boxers hanging out and talking in ebonics you are not going to be taken serious. I have sat in on interviews for scholorships, jobs, and for other orginaizations. It is hard to take these kids serious. I do not care how smart you are, when you dress and act like this you will not be taken seriously.
JTT

United States

#15 Oct 21, 2010
As compared to the purity and goodness of country music?? Moonshine, cheatin, shootin, beating, etc......My point being that all music has unfortunate factions and artists..........Not just rap.
Puppit

Richmond, KY

#16 Feb 24, 2011
Hip Hop culture was one of the ways the civil rights movement thrived, please, don't listen to the ignorant, ridiculous offensive music that saturates our world via the radio. Artists like KRS-One and The Last Emperor and many more have music we can be proud of as a society.
james

Demotte, IN

#17 Feb 24, 2011
I hate blacks i think they stink most are druggies and cause more crime in this town dont care what you think but i hope all of them just shoot each other insted of getting these young white woman knocked up.they need to go back to the nasty shit hole they came from and burn
Puppit

Richmond, KY

#18 Feb 24, 2011
James, you're a sad, ignorant, pathetic human being and obviously an evolutionary fail.
james

Demotte, IN

#19 Feb 24, 2011
Puppit wrote:
James, you're a sad, ignorant, pathetic human being and obviously an evolutionary fail.
first off blacks are nasty people they smell eat and cook nasty shit most dont take care of there kids they abuse woman rob people and steal i dont care say what u want if i cought my kid dateing a black ill beat its ass
Puppit

Richmond, KY

#20 Feb 24, 2011
You wanna come say that to this white man and get your brains bashed into your spinal cord?
Black Kid

Atlanta, GA

#21 Apr 27, 2013
I hate how a lot of white people have this unnerving habit of talking down on things or people they know nothing about... I'm pretty sure that about 85% of the people who posted comments on here haven't heard more than 15 rap songs in their life so just STFU and keep listening to your Johnny Cash or whatever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey 1 min Username 17
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 45 min texas pete 38,042
Russ 59 min EKU alum 14
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr ChromiuMan 148,870
Deadbeat 1 hr Geez 11
Does heavy hitter harlery clitton dislike whit... 1 hr America matters 1
White TV anchor fired, by racist dark skin peop... 1 hr White women matter 1
Just Wanted To Let You Know 8 hr ButtheadEd 165
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages