Dr. Smith and Dr. Gordons office

Dr. Smith and Dr. Gordons office

Posted in the Richmond Forum

HAHA

Lexington, KY

#1 Mar 31, 2010
I would like to know why these doctors will perform a c-section on a patient that previously vaginally delivered a child. There is absoutely no medical reason for it but yet they let you choose to have a c-section! That is completely crazy! The only thing I can figure out is that they make more money off of a c-section than they do a vaginal birth. On what planet is a c-section safer than a natural birth, for a woman that they know can deliver a child naturally and has no medical reason for a c-section?
Ky resident

United States

#2 Mar 31, 2010
It is more convenient. If you notice most of the c-sections are set for noon-ish or after 5pm when the office is over. This way the baby is out before they go home and they don't have to worry about any laboring moms close to delivery or probably going to deliver later in the evening or night calling them back in to "catch" the baby. Unfortunately, this has become an accepted common practice all over the country, not just in Richmond, KY.
hello

Richmond, KY

#3 Apr 1, 2010
what weight was the baby sometimes if they think a baby will be to big they will schedule a c section
Current Patient There

Anderson, SC

#4 Apr 1, 2010
There are MANY reasons a doctor would perform a C-Section when a mother has already had a baby via vaginally: The baby is too big to pass safely through the vagina, Baby being breach-position, The baby's shoulder enters the birth canal first, instead of the head, There are problems with the placenta (Placental problems can cause dangerous bleeding during vaginal birth), Labor is too slow or stops, The baby's umbilical cord slips into the vagina, where it could be squeezed or flattened during vaginal delivery, The baby has problems during labor that show it is under stress, such as a slow heart rate. You have a serious medical condition that requires intensive or emergency treatment (such as gestational diabetes or pre eclampsia), or the baby having a birth defect.
HAHA

Lexington, KY

#5 Apr 1, 2010
well the baby is estimated to be around 6 lbs, and due in 3 weeks from the date the csetion is scheduled. The only reason they are doing it is because the mom doesnt want to go through labor. She gave birth to a 10 pound baby before, without complications and this pregancy has been uncomplicated
Just maybe

Richmond, KY

#6 Apr 1, 2010
HAHA wrote:
well the baby is estimated to be around 6 lbs, and due in 3 weeks from the date the csetion is scheduled. The only reason they are doing it is because the mom doesnt want to go through labor. She gave birth to a 10 pound baby before, without complications and this pregancy has been uncomplicated
Sometimes there are medical reason's that the mother would rather not disclose to nosy, judgemental people who should be taking care of their own business, not sticking their noses where they don't belong.
HAHA

Lexington, KY

#7 Apr 2, 2010
since the patient is my wife and I go with her to every visit, I dont think that is the case
Samantha

Clarksville, TN

#8 Apr 2, 2010
Well, that's her option to do so. If she wants a C-Section, the doctor can't refuse her one. Just like I'm opting to be induced a week early, no medical reason. I just want to be. It's her choice.
hello

Richmond, KY

#9 Apr 2, 2010
it is the mother's choice if she wants to have a child vaginally or through c section u said that she wanted the c section so I dont see a problem...
yuk

Richmond, KY

#10 Apr 2, 2010
HAHA wrote:
since the patient is my wife and I go with her to every visit, I dont think that is the case
Are you serious? You got on topix to discuss this issue when it involves your own wife? And you say you were in the office but didn't ask the doctor? Oh, my gosh. This is one unlucky child coming into this world with a parent who would come on topix and discuss personal issues. Some people are just stupid.
Dont Understand

Oceanside, CA

#11 Apr 3, 2010
Why in the world would a mother choose to put herself and unborn baby at a higher risk just because she doesn't want to endure labor? Especially since this baby is much smaller? The risk of surgery is greatly higher than a vaginal birth. There is the risk of infection, problems with the spinal/anesthesia, not to mention the recovery time is longer and more painful. This just doesn't make sense. Ethically, a physician should not encourage such a "choice", I am not even sure it is a choice. My experience in the medical field shows me that a vaginal birth is much safer. If a mother doesn't want to go through labor to bring a child in this world, then maybe she should have done more to prevent the pregnancy. I have seen babies "nicked" by the scalpel during the incision into the uterus or as the placenta is opened, I have seen mothers have post op infections that have prolonged recovery even longer than the several weeks after c-sections and not only does the mom suffer from this but so does the new life she has brought. As stated by KY Resident, many Dr's choose this route simply for convenience and this maybe the reason they haven't discouraged it in your wife's case. It is one less call they will have to worry about getting in the middle of the night, even though they are getting paid to be oncall and to take care of your wife and unborn child regardless what time it is. I would never choose this option, it is intended to be a last resort for situations as mentioned by Current Patient There. I would never put myself at risk and most certainly never expose my unborn child to potential injury or risk. This is a serious situation and maybe you should consult another physician to get their opinion, however, as I stated, I have experience in health care/hospitals and with physicians/surgeons. I speak from knowledge and concern for any mother and baby.
lady in red

Richmond, KY

#12 Apr 4, 2010
With C sections the doctor gets paid more. I have read in some articles about this and it makes the doctor and hospital more money rather than a natural birth. Also I would say for the answer as to why the mother chose to have this is probably because she thinks she will not be herself down there if you know what I mean. I remember worrying about that myself but it all goes back to where it was...for me anyways. I think it depends on the person's elasticity and muscles and genes, all that stuff. Ugh...i went there. Hope that helps with you're question.
Sad

United States

#13 Apr 5, 2010
Well, I have to say if that is the reason she is having a c section then she needs to see a shrink. Wow, that doesn't even sound right. Anyway that is a pathetic reason and what the heck is a 6 pound baby going to do down there that a 10 pound baby hasn't already done? Since she has got pregnant a second time I figure it is safe to say that everything went back to "normal" or her husband doesn't care. Sounds like shes is just being selfish from what I can gather.
mother of 3

Broken Arrow, OK

#14 Apr 5, 2010
i can truly say that c-section deliveries are not up to the parent. every pregnancy is differnt as is every delivery. Perhaps you should go to medical school so you can have an educated response and quit acting like you know every thing. there are times when mothers have std (genital warts) or other personal and private situations that you know nothing about, and dr smith is such an ass, he would never let a patient decide how to have their child.
lol

United States

#15 Apr 5, 2010
When i saw the title of this post, i could've sworn this was going to be about the movie Saw. lol "Doctor Gordon"
Dont Understand

United States

#16 Apr 5, 2010
mother of 3 wrote:
i can truly say that c-section deliveries are not up to the parent. every pregnancy is differnt as is every delivery. Perhaps you should go to medical school so you can have an educated response and quit acting like you know every thing. there are times when mothers have std (genital warts) or other personal and private situations that you know nothing about, and dr smith is such an ass, he would never let a patient decide how to have their child.
If you read and pay attention, the 'husband' has indicated that his wife has no health problems or any reason medically to have this procedure. I do have a medical background and very educated.
Patient of Smith

Berea, KY

#17 Feb 4, 2014
When I was in labor my daughters cord got wrapped around her neck and her heart rate dropped. The nurses ran in gave me a shot to stop my contractions and everything. The nurse kept saying I'd have to have a emergency csection....she called dr smith and he said to monitor me that he didn't want to have to do a csection if it could be provented. And they monitored me and she was ok to go ahead a proceed with a vaginal birth. And I had good insurance...so I don't think they do them just because. I've heard some rumors that they do them a lot but maybe it's because they are good at them. I love dr smith and would absolutely go back with my next baby...because I trust his professional opinion.
Bon Apetit

Louisville, KY

#18 Feb 4, 2014
Patient of Smith wrote:
When I was in labor my daughters cord got wrapped around her neck and her heart rate dropped. The nurses ran in gave me a shot to stop my contractions and everything. The nurse kept saying I'd have to have a emergency csection....she called dr smith and he said to monitor me that he didn't want to have to do a csection if it could be provented. And they monitored me and she was ok to go ahead a proceed with a vaginal birth. And I had good insurance...so I don't think they do them just because. I've heard some rumors that they do them a lot but maybe it's because they are good at them. I love dr smith and would absolutely go back with my next baby...because I trust his professional opinion.
Probably had dinner reservations!
Thats funny

Atlanta, GA

#20 Feb 5, 2014
HAHA wrote:
I would like to know why these doctors will perform a c-section on a patient that previously vaginally delivered a child. There is absoutely no medical reason for it but yet they let you choose to have a c-section! That is completely crazy! The only thing I can figure out is that they make more money off of a c-section than they do a vaginal birth. On what planet is a c-section safer than a natural birth, for a woman that they know can deliver a child naturally and has no medical reason for a c-section?
wow just wow
previous patient

United States

#21 Feb 5, 2014
I was seen by the mid wives but Gordon delivered my son due to having a emergency c section because of preeclampsia. I had my son at 6:49 am. I was 36 weeks and he really did have my sons best interest in mind I don't think he did it for ' more money ' because we never spoke of a c section before. I'd absolutely go back, sorry you had a bad experience. I'd certainly say something to their face rather than topix if you were truly that concerned.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sad Stories Aside . . . 16 min Looking 4 My Catw... 7
I WILL Be Getting A Woman That Mstchex The Catw... 20 min Looking 4 My Catw... 17
you know who you are 21 min Original poster 28
Looking For MY Potential Classic Catwoman 2 hr Donald 6
I'm Done 4 hr translation 6
Raymond Diez (May '09) 4 hr David 127
Russ..... 6 hr EKU lady 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages