Why Are The Holidays So Sad?

Why Are The Holidays So Sad?

Posted in the Richmond Forum

sad

Richmond, KY

#1 Nov 21, 2010
Why do I get so sad when holidays near? Anyone else feel this way?
What can I do to feel better?
no advice

Richmond, KY

#2 Nov 21, 2010
sad wrote:
Well, I think it's because we're made to believe ideal situations and families exist like the ones we see on christmas cards and in movies. We think about our own lives and families and how they don't fit into those neat packages and long for the impossible in many cases. I think the holidays make us feel pressure to buy, pressure to perform, pressure to spend time with family even if we don't like them. I'm not a fan of any of it and would like to sleep until January 2nd. Sorry, I have no helpful advice to offer.
Shovo

United States

#3 Nov 21, 2010
You need to have cheap, meaningless sex with me.
How to feel better

AOL

#4 Nov 21, 2010
sad wrote:
----------
An easy way to feel better is to read your Bible, Jeremiah, chapter 10, verses 1 through 5..... As you read the Bible you will see that Christmas is a pagan holiday.... Pray for knowledge and God will give to you understanding..... Check out the origin of Christmas in the older encyclopedias...... Then when you learn the truth, you will not feel so sad.
----------
hates holidays

Richmond, KY

#5 Nov 21, 2010
I dont like the holidays because i think about all i have lost rather than that which remains...bummer.
Me too

Richmond, KY

#6 Nov 21, 2010
I get sad on during the holidays as well. My mom died Dec 2008 right between Thanksgiving and Christmas. My mom and I both LOVED Christmas. It was just me and her, I have no dad, no brothers or sisters either, and no other family in town. We always decorated together, watched Christmas movies together, and shopped together. Ever since she passed I just get depressed...last year I didn't even put up a tree. I hear Christmas carols and I cry. I want to enjoy the holidays but I just can't. All that plus the stress over money and gifts...ugh, sometimes I feel like I just want to skip it all together.
holiday cheer

Richmond, KY

#7 Nov 21, 2010
How to feel better wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
An easy way to feel better is to read your Bible, Jeremiah, chapter 10, verses 1 through 5..... As you read the Bible you will see that Christmas is a pagan holiday.... Pray for knowledge and God will give to you understanding..... Check out the origin of Christmas in the older encyclopedias...... Then when you learn the truth, you will not feel so sad.
----------
would pagan mean the same thing as jehovah?bet you are a shopper from hell. you need to go have some protected sex. sure do not want you to multiply. Happy Holidays
LOL

Columbus, OH

#8 Nov 21, 2010
Pagan isn't the same thing as Jehovah. I love how people get all high and mighty about Christmas being a Pagan holiday yet don't even think about half the shit that is in Christianity today had roots in Pagan beliefs.

To the OP: The holidays often bring memories of loved ones that are no longer with us. Some people get sad because they don't have the "perfect" family to spend the holidays with. Money is a big culprit of holiday depression.

My opinion, and you can take it or leave it, up to you. But if you tend to get really sad around the holidays, go volunteer a couple hours at a food bank or soup kitchen, or at a retirement home. No matter how bad you think you have it, someone always has it worse. Helping others though is a really good way to make you feel better from the inside out, and do something good in general.
How to feel better

AOL

#9 Nov 22, 2010
LOL wrote:
Pagan isn't the same thing as Jehovah. I love how people get all high and mighty about Christmas being a Pagan holiday yet don't even think about half the shit that is in Christianity today had roots in Pagan beliefs.
To the OP: The holidays often bring memories of loved ones that are no longer with us. Some people get sad because they don't have the "perfect" family to spend the holidays with. Money is a big culprit of holiday depression.
My opinion, and you can take it or leave it, up to you. But if you tend to get really sad around the holidays, go volunteer a couple hours at a food bank or soup kitchen, or at a retirement home. No matter how bad you think you have it, someone always has it worse. Helping others though is a really good way to make you feel better from the inside out, and do something good in general.
==========
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it..... Very good advice on what to do to avoid depression.... But I really do not believe you understand that all the misconceptions are not in Christianity, but instead, they are in religion..... There is a vast difference in Christianity and religion..... This can be understood as one reads God's Word and repents of all the false knowledge that has filled our minds.... A true Christian follows Christ and obeys the Ten Commandments..... A so called christian follows the customs of the world..... That includes the keeping of the worldy holidays....

This is not sent to offend anyone but to help enlighten one's knowledge.
Well

Columbus, OH

#10 Nov 23, 2010
I understand that the misconceptions are in religion. But as to not get in to a religious debate on Topix I will just say that I will agree to disagree with you. I respect the opinions of others, even if they are not my own.
A true Christian can follow Christ and still celebrate Christmas and other holidays, it's really all about what you put your happiness in. Are you happy to get presents under your tree or get presents from people, or are you happy to help those that are less fortunate than you. Option 1 would be someone who is more focused on materialistic things, and option 2 would be someone who is Christ-like in terms of "What you have done for the least of these my brethren you have also done for Me".
Granted people should be like option 2 all the time, however, a lot of people only think about it during the holiday season. Anyway thanks for your reply.
Ummm

Richmond, KY

#11 Nov 23, 2010
Christianity IS a religion. Some have just taken to differentiating these terms to seperate their particular system(s) of belief and associated customs from all the others. That doesn't change what the word means, or that their beliefs and corresponding actions in accordance with that belief constitute a religion - just like all the others. Within Christian circles, it's now common for modernizing Protestant evangelists to make this so-called distinction in an effort to distance their churches from the scorned Big Churches, or from dreaded Catholicism. Individual belevers also play the word game to enumerate themselves as non-denominational, or "not like the soft Christians," or whatever.

I could say that my tomato isn't a tomato at all - it's name is Bob and it is the Lord My God - but regardless of what I name it, or its size, or how I eat it, if it's a tomato, it's still a tomato... and my belief in Bob would constitute a religion, whether socially or legally recognized, or merely my own personal one.

As for holiday blues: Bear in mind that these are the months that we, as humans, are genetically predisposed to go into a "fatten-up, bundle-up, and stay-sheltered" -mode. Throughout most of humanity's existence in temperate climes, to survive the colder weather it was necessary to amass winter stores of food and hole-up someplace. Our bodies, like those of many of our fellow mammals, want to burn fewer calories; our metabolism naturally slows down and we tend to feel less active. This is a seasonal biological imperative we've yet to outgrow, a residual survival instinct. As much as the aforementioned social issues, this can contribute to the blues.

To combat the biological issues, try a metabolism-raising food plan consisting of many small, leaner meals in a day, some aerobics, and an occasional tanning bed visit to keep your Vitamin D up and trick your body out of winter survival mode.

The earlier suggestion of volunteering stands as an excellent way to deal with the psychological issues...

And in the meantime, don't get drawn into off-topic word games with zealots. Like I just did :-P
I want to know

AOL

#12 Nov 24, 2010
What happened to Bob?
I am with you

Richmond, KY

#13 Nov 24, 2010
Me too wrote:
I get sad on during the holidays as well. My mom died Dec 2008 right between Thanksgiving and Christmas. My mom and I both LOVED Christmas. It was just me and her, I have no dad, no brothers or sisters either, and no other family in town. We always decorated together, watched Christmas movies together, and shopped together. Ever since she passed I just get depressed...last year I didn't even put up a tree. I hear Christmas carols and I cry. I want to enjoy the holidays but I just can't. All that plus the stress over money and gifts...ugh, sometimes I feel like I just want to skip it all together.
I am with you. I just soon skip it all. Holidays are not fun. They just put to much pressure on you to go through the motions with a smile on your face pretending all is well when it isn't. It makes me sad to see many folks happy when I am so sad. I an waiting for the new year.
Ummm

Richmond, KY

#14 Nov 25, 2010
I want to know wrote:
What happened to Bob?
He was delicious.
agree

Mount Sterling, KY

#15 Nov 26, 2010
no advice wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I think it's because we're made to believe ideal situations and families exist like the ones we see on christmas cards and in movies. We think about our own lives and families and how they don't fit into those neat packages and long for the impossible in many cases. I think the holidays make us feel pressure to buy, pressure to perform, pressure to spend time with family even if we don't like them. I'm not a fan of any of it and would like to sleep until January 2nd. Sorry, I have no helpful advice to offer.
this is so true!!! things are just so different, i dont have that perfect little Christmas card family anymore.
rise up

Mount Vernon, KY

#16 Nov 26, 2010
I've always hated holidays even Halloween ,why i guess emotional baggage.i think it makes me think of stuff i missed out on .and not whats good in my life and my future .o well dont think about .
Emerald

Richmond, KY

#17 Nov 26, 2010
The holidays are only sad only if you let them be. You are the only one in control of your emotions.Don't let other people or things determine how you feel. When you wake up of a morning you can decide to be happy, sad,angry, etc.... the way you feel is up to you. It took me many years to learn that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 min Mickey402 151,769
Married Cougar at Quanex 27 min Mdh 4
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 27 min Jennifer Renee 38,691
Looking My Catwoman or Harley Quinn 42 min Why So Serious 2
Biggestloserever.com 2 hr loserdonald 4
Katrina blanton 3 hr Two years ago 2
You shouldn't have 4 hr Anne 1
Woman In Black Dress and Glasses I Saw Leaving ... 5 hr Just A Dog Chasin... 139

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages