Filing an Appeal with ADN program at EKU

Filing an Appeal with ADN program at EKU

Posted in the Richmond Forum

worried

London, KY

#1 Jan 4, 2010
has anyone ever filed an appeal with the associate degree nursing program at EKU? i have an appointment tommorrow and really have no idea what to look foward to. I have no excuses really for failing so what am i going to say???? PLZ help someone!!!! is anyone is the same situation as me????
Lol

United States

#2 Jan 4, 2010
Sounds like your screwed, you were lucky to get in the program you should have made the most of it. You made your bed now you have to lay on it
worried

London, KY

#3 Jan 4, 2010
i'm definately not the only one so if you don't have any helpful info. just stay out of it! i didn't start this post to get put down so....i done my best as a single mother of 2 and it's very hard..i'm not the only one who failed so you don't know what your talking about
Alumni99

Richmond, KY

#4 Jan 4, 2010
worried wrote:
has anyone ever filed an appeal with the associate degree nursing program at EKU? i have an appointment tommorrow and really have no idea what to look foward to. I have no excuses really for failing so what am i going to say???? PLZ help someone!!!! is anyone is the same situation as me????
I have done it and was successful, but I don't know the specifics of your situation. If there is a way I can contact you other than here, I will be happy to try and help.
worried

London, KY

#5 Jan 4, 2010
good to hear! what was your situation? was it medical of something else? just wondering if i have a chance of getting back in without a Huge excuse..
worried

London, KY

#6 Jan 4, 2010
bump it up
Alumni99

Richmond, KY

#7 Jan 4, 2010
I didn't pass and had to apply for re-admission. I had to go before all of the instructors and plead my case.
Just saying

Richmond, KY

#8 Jan 4, 2010
worried wrote:
i done my best as a single mother of 2 and it's very hard..i'm not the only one who failed so you don't know what your talking about
No offense intended, but don't use your children as an excuse. I have three and graduated with a 3.7 GPA while working to support my family.
worried

London, KY

#9 Jan 4, 2010
Just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
No offense intended, but don't use your children as an excuse. I have three and graduated with a 3.7 GPA while working to support my family.
your children must be better behaved than mine. what did you say to them to let you back in? that sounds really nerve wrecking
Alumni99

Richmond, KY

#10 Jan 5, 2010
worried wrote:
<quoted text>
your children must be better behaved than mine. what did you say to them to let you back in? that sounds really nerve wrecking
They think the program should come first, even ahead of your family and your job. I told them that I planned to quit my job and enlist more help from my extended family to care for my son. I never did either, but how would they know that?
Another Point

Georgetown, KY

#11 Jan 5, 2010
This may sound blunt, but you said yourself that you have no excuses. Then it simply comes down to not being able to handle the workload and grasp the material being taught to you. Not going to get much sympathy there from faculty.

Realize that people fail college programs. Happens all the time. Not everyone who takes a program deserves to pass. I would re-apply, see what happens. Perhaps a different program would suit you better.
Reasons Vs Excuses

Richmond, KY

#12 Jan 5, 2010
Firstly, IMO you should figure out the reason/s you failed out. Second, you need to identify what has changed such that this won't happen again. You need to be able to effectively articulate this to the committee and provide supporting facts to back up your position such as employers who can vouch for your work ethic, instances where you showed new initiative, or just a convincing speech that you won't mess up again (although I doubt that will work as well).

However, I have to agree with Another Point. Perhaps you are not ready or suited to be a nurse. It is a competitive program because they have peoples' lives in their hands and they only have so many slots open and don't have time to waste on people who don't get it the first time through.

Maybe in time you will mature. I think that's the biggest mistake we make as a society- We make young people feel like they have to complete their education between 18-22 when really most of us aren't ready to take on something that massive until we're a little older.

If they deny you, ask and see what you can do to prove yourself again. Perhaps this may mean falling back to a less competitive program and doing well there and then reapplying with better grades with your program complete.
Support

East Bernstadt, KY

#13 Jan 5, 2010
I'm getting ready to start the ADN program. I also have two children... i am so nervous about going! I dont see how you had time to even go to class! I just wanted to wish you good luck!!

And instead of insults.. you people could encourage a little! She is obviously trying to improve her life!!!
worried

London, KY

#14 Jan 5, 2010
i didn't get back in the program. good luck to you and the adn program. it is very hard and requires so much time to read all the time and i am very involved with my kids (who are 3 and 4 years old) and it sucks to sit and read all the time instead of spending time with them, especially after you have spent all day in class or clinicals. the hardest thing for me was the commute. i live about 1 hour and a half away and so i was spending 3 hours a day just driving to school, the babysitter, and home, and it was very stressful for me doing that 4 days a week. my advice is to do your absolute best because if you mess up and fail, you may not get back in and it's such a let down. i have planned on being a nurse ever since i've started college and now i'm confused on what to do. my whole future plans may have to be changed. i am worried and wonder "where do i go from here?"
Bogey

Anderson, SC

#15 Jan 5, 2010
worried wrote:
i didn't get back in the program. good luck to you and the adn program. it is very hard and requires so much time to read all the time and i am very involved with my kids (who are 3 and 4 years old) and it sucks to sit and read all the time instead of spending time with them, especially after you have spent all day in class or clinicals. the hardest thing for me was the commute. i live about 1 hour and a half away and so i was spending 3 hours a day just driving to school, the babysitter, and home, and it was very stressful for me doing that 4 days a week. my advice is to do your absolute best because if you mess up and fail, you may not get back in and it's such a let down. i have planned on being a nurse ever since i've started college and now i'm confused on what to do. my whole future plans may have to be changed. i am worried and wonder "where do i go from here?"

I am so sorry. The same thing happened to me. I know how you feel and am shocked at some of the mean and ignorant replies you received. BCTC has a wonderful LPN program you can get in. It is 3 semesters with a wonderful pharmocology class. After that you can reapply to the RN and complete it in 2 semesters. The coordinator is Brenda Willoughby. I graduated last May. Sometimes you just need to build on certain skills. I hope you do not give up. Good Luck
Anpther Point

Richmond, KY

#16 Jan 6, 2010
Bogey wrote:
<quoted text>
am shocked at some of the mean and ignorant replies you received.
Where were the mean and ignorant replies?
Reasons Vs Excuses

Richmond, KY

#17 Jan 6, 2010
Anpther Point wrote:
<quoted text>
Where were the mean and ignorant replies?
That's what I was thinking. If you want mean and ignorant, go to just about any other thread. This one was one of the most helpful and informed threads I've seen. If the OP gives up, then it wasn't meant to be. If she perseveres and seeks an alternate path into the profession, she will probably make it. Either way, the system is doing what it is designed to do- weed people out who for whatever reason can't perform.
notworriedanymor e

London, KY

#18 Jan 6, 2010
yes, i have planned on doing the LPN program now. in a couple of years, both my kids will be in school and i would more more time to study when i cross over into the RN program. this sounds like a great idea, wish i could start now instead of having to take a semester off and start in the fall. is it pretty easy to get in to the program? how many people do they accept? do they only accept in the fall? i know at somerset, they only accept for the RN program in the fall and only accept 60 people, when EKU accepts every spring and fall semester and accepts 100 people at a time. thanks so much for all the info. i wanted this to be a helpful thread, not one that people get on here and run their mouth when they have no reason to because all that does is make people feel worse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 min Tooth fairy 163,286
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 25 min Fungail 41,159
~*~ Last Post WINS ~*~ (Oct '11) 34 min Sharlene45 5,196
Mark Delaney in jail again. (Mar '13) 3 hr Karma 44
Looking for a Job that Pays Considerably Better... (Mar '14) 5 hr translation 46
Brittany muncie/muncy 6 hr haha 4
Austin @ the blue moon 7 hr hillbilly 1

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages