Skate park a hit in Berea

Mar 31, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Richmond Register

Berea's skateboard park opened Thursday, March 24, and the four-wheeled patrons are "... burning it up," according to Maggy Kriebel, director of Berea's parks and recreation department.

Comments
1 - 20 of 54 Comments Last updated Apr 21, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
joe motha

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 4, 2010
 
everybody knows the only reason people go there is for litte imaure gangster wannabes to fight
bad idea

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 4, 2010
 
i sat up thair for about an hour one day all isaw was trouble makers
Happy Gilmore

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 4, 2010
 
Richmond needs one too!
Diddle

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 4, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Let's not rush to judge people. If it becomes a problem, I am sure it will be addressed.

I was not a fan of this city financial expenditure but face it, children need something to do here in Berea. And if it gets them off the couch and away from the TV, video games and computers, so be it.

I remember when that exact spot as the city dump in the 60s. It was also home to Hamm Coal Co.(Lawson Hamilton) prior to that. It has came a long way.

Before we condem the users, let's see what happens and where things go. The only down side I can see is that this is close to an area that has some preexisting child behavioural issues. Who knows, THIS may fix THAT.

Best!

D~

Since: Dec 09

Clay City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 4, 2010
 
Diddle wrote:
Let's not rush to judge people. If it becomes a problem, I am sure it will be addressed.
I was not a fan of this city financial expenditure but face it, children need something to do here in Berea. And if it gets them off the couch and away from the TV, video games and computers, so be it.
I remember when that exact spot as the city dump in the 60s. It was also home to Hamm Coal Co.(Lawson Hamilton) prior to that. It has came a long way.
Before we condem the users, let's see what happens and where things go. The only down side I can see is that this is close to an area that has some preexisting child behavioural issues. Who knows, THIS may fix THAT.
Best!
D~
Diddle!!!,

WELCOME BACK!

As to this post, once again a well thought out and respectful response. You and I don't always agree, but we try to keep it civil, and for that you are top notch in my book.(I used to go by Older than Dirt if that helps you)
Confused

Berea, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 5, 2010
 
Where is it?
nikki w

Berea, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 5, 2010
 
behind the folk center
skater

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 10, 2010
 
yeah, i've gone there.
the only thing that happens there is fights, and drug deals. every time i go there someone tries to fight me. they need to have security guards or something there during park hours, because this is ridiculous. i've been waiting for over a year for this park to open and they built it right next to the closest thing to the hood that berea has, and there is no supervision. it's fucking messed up.:/
buckhorn

Berea, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 10, 2010
 
the skate park is long overdue. it's small but it's better than nothing. i've never seen any fights there, just good kids out doing what they love to do.
Just Replying

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 11, 2010
 
Firstly, you need your mouth washed out with soap.

Lastly, it sounds you are more a part of the problem than the solution.
skater wrote:
yeah, i've gone there.
the only thing that happens there is fights, and drug deals. every time i go there someone tries to fight me. they need to have security guards or something there during park hours, because this is ridiculous. i've been waiting for over a year for this park to open and they built it right next to the closest thing to the hood that berea has, and there is no supervision. it's ******* messed up.:/
a mom

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 11, 2010
 
I've taken my son there a number of times, and there are a few unsavory characters (without skateboards) hanging out, smokin cigarettes, but they don't bother my kid, however I don't leave my kid there alone, which I think is key. If there are no adults down there, some kids will misbehave.

I understand they are getting ready to build a playground down there, also, which will increase the "parent presence" tremendously, and I can't wait! Between the skate park, the playground, and the soccer fields, I think it's gonna be fantastic! Give it a chance to work!

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 11, 2010
 
I lived on North Broadway, from '82 to '91. Amazingly, we didn't have "many" problems, while we lived there, although there have been those few times, that there was some problems. I realize that that was a while back and things do change.

Now, as long as the skate park has someone monitoring, and that person is serious at that job (without being a "Barney Fife"), it should be fine.

I do agree with "a mom" that parents would help tremendously, if they would stay around, also, and help keep an eye out. Let's not use the skate park as a "babysitter".

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 11, 2010
 
salesman T wrote:
<quoted text>
Diddle!!!,
WELCOME BACK!
As to this post, once again a well thought out and respectful response. You and I don't always agree, but we try to keep it civil, and for that you are top notch in my book.(I used to go by Older than Dirt if that helps you)
You helped me :o)!! No worries!! I don't "bite", unless I have too. I always respected both you and Diddle!! Your secret is safe with me and it stays on this board.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 11, 2010
 
Whoops, guess your secret isn't a secret...ok, so I'm slow, LOL!!!
skater

Broken Arrow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 11, 2010
 
Just Replying wrote:
Firstly, you need your mouth washed out with soap.
Lastly, it sounds you are more a part of the problem than the solution.
<quoted text>
care to explain how?
skater

Broken Arrow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 11, 2010
 
a mom wrote:
I've taken my son there a number of times, and there are a few unsavory characters (without skateboards) hanging out, smokin cigarettes, but they don't bother my kid, however I don't leave my kid there alone, which I think is key. If there are no adults down there, some kids will misbehave.
I understand they are getting ready to build a playground down there, also, which will increase the "parent presence" tremendously, and I can't wait! Between the skate park, the playground, and the soccer fields, I think it's gonna be fantastic! Give it a chance to work!
the people generally behave when there is an adult there, but as soon as there's no one there, they go crazy and start fighting people for no reason.
a mom

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

So maybe parents need to get more involved, hang out there when their kids are skating? Do you think it would make a difference? The police can't keep an officer there full time, it is not financially reasonable, but maybe we could ask them to step up their patrols? I'm glad you're on here, skater-we need your point of view to really make a difference and work together. Not everyone thinks skaters are thugs and the park is a bad idea. I want my kid to be able to use it and use it safely.

I've taken my son to the Louisville skate park (fantastic place!), and these are not issues there. Those kids (and some adults) take that park seriously and go there for one reason-to skate (or roller-blade or ride their BMX).

I think the responsibility lies with the adults-parents. Step it up, help make it a safe place for our skaters to go-don't just drop your kids off and leave. And to the skaters-ignore the thugs and skate.
citizen

Berea, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 11, 2010
 
Just wait till poison comes out of ground.then tell me this is a good place to have kids there. Can you remember when the toxic was dumped there.God forbid.
Diddle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 12, 2010
 
Actually, it was the city dump. The only thing toxic was the darn rats runnin around. Anything that was there 40 years ago is pretty benign by now. Especially so since nearly everything brought in was burned.

Perhaps the greatest threat is what is in the tanker cars rolling up and down the railroad just to the west..

Best!

D~
citizen wrote:
Just wait till poison comes out of ground.then tell me this is a good place to have kids there. Can you remember when the toxic was dumped there.God forbid.
Skater

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Apr 15, 2010
 
a mom wrote:
So maybe parents need to get more involved, hang out there when their kids are skating? Do you think it would make a difference? The police can't keep an officer there full time, it is not financially reasonable, but maybe we could ask them to step up their patrols? I'm glad you're on here, skater-we need your point of view to really make a difference and work together. Not everyone thinks skaters are thugs and the park is a bad idea. I want my kid to be able to use it and use it safely.
I've taken my son to the Louisville skate park (fantastic place!), and these are not issues there. Those kids (and some adults) take that park seriously and go there for one reason-to skate (or roller-blade or ride their BMX).
I think the responsibility lies with the adults-parents. Step it up, help make it a safe place for our skaters to go-don't just drop your kids off and leave. And to the skaters-ignore the thugs and skate.
Unfortunately, a lot, but not ALL, of the skaters in Berea are thugs. And a lot of thugs that aren't skaters hang out at the skatepark because it is so close to Apple Grove, a problem area, and cause problems. A lot of these kids get involved with drugs, tobacco and alcohol, and come from homes where their parents don't teach them right from wrong, and where they more than likely get abused, making these kids miserable and looking for a way to get rid of their anger, but skating doesn't for them, drugs and fighting do. Something needs to be done about the skatepark because it hasn't even been open a month and already I've decided it's not worth going because of the rough characters there, and it's a shame that we've waited for so long for this park to open, and it's as dangerous as it is- not the park itself, the people who hang out there. I guess this is starting to run on, so I'll end with this- this skatepark was built with the city's money, every taxpayer's money. Therefore, I find it not only the responsibility but the best interest of the taxpayers to take an interest in making the skatepark a safe place for everyone.
Skate to Live, Live to Skate

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

72 Users are viewing the Richmond Forum right now

Search the Richmond Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min DemocRATS 146,158
hotel room fun 18 min mmmmm 1
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 22 min i be dat nikka 81,567
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 37 min Amen 16,115
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 40 min Teacher 1,012
places for rent 1 hr Safe 6
josh hensley 1 hr SteakDinners4Every1 15
Missing teen girl in Berea (Jun '13) 1 hr --S-e-r-i-o-u-s-l-y-- 7,120
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 2 hr Jennifer Renee 28,095
•••
•••
•••
•••

Richmond Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Richmond People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Richmond News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Richmond
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••