Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
79,961 - 79,980 of 81,588 Comments Last updated Wednesday Aug 20
qwerty

Butler, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> Imitation is the sincerest form of flatulence.
Glad y'all have a sense of humor!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Judged:

@Miss E.. your offer to snuggle is being seriously considered LOL

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Judged:

qwerty wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks nanny! I can be a little naughty sometimes, but I wont take it that far.
I know sweetie.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

I knew it was not the real qwerty
qwerty

Butler, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
I knew it was not the real qwerty
Thanks wolfman! I'm just here to have fun, instigate a few laughs, and generally fight insomnia.
I haven't been that crude yet, and don't plan to be.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

Judged:

Dog has slept warm and peacefully, while I have been up several times during the night stoking his fire. He must think it is his birthday... IT IS....
sporty

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

it will never fly

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

Judged:

Hey friends,
With the temperatures on Monday dipping as low as negative 3, the homeless shelters and organizations are seeking donations of used coats, winter wear and blankets. If you have anything you can donate, please contact your local community action organization.
We are all so richly blessed.
"There but for the grace of God, go I"
John Bradford

“Nothing is as it appears to be”

Since: Dec 13

My Happy Place

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

Judged:

Happy New Year to all you fine folks of the bird thread! It has been a while since I stopped in for a visit. I had lots of company for Christmas and then fell ill immediately following their departure. I am just glad I remained well until afterward.

I trust all of you had a wonderful Christmas and are more than ready to begin a new year. Although my new year started off in illness, I don't hold with the old adage that whatever you do on the first of the year is an indication of what you will do all year long. I prefer to think that I have now had my illness for the whole year and now I will remain well throughout! LOL......it sounds good in theory anyway.

I see sunshine today but I do believe it's wearing a coat! I haven't dared venture out yet since I'm still in recovery mode.
My Christmas is still waiting to be put away. Today may be a good day to work on that as long as I take my sweet easy time doing it and can avoid falling off the ladder. It is difficult to really begin a new year with evidence of the old one everywhere I look.
Time to stop talking about it and start doing it!

I hope all of you have a warm, wonderful and safe day!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

Judged:

I see the negative judges were fortunate enough that their fingers did not freeze, but as our good buddy Don't Care so aptly posts..."we don't give a fat rat's A..."
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

Ancient Wolf wrote:
I see the negative judges were fortunate enough that their fingers did not freeze, but as our good buddy Don't Care so aptly posts..."we don't give a fat rat's A..."
Send Dog Happy Belated Birthday with a rub behind the ears;) I agree, some miserable and bitter Folks to post the judge its above as far as I am concerned. Oh, well, misery aint getting no company from me.Lol. Sad sacks need to get glas about something. Stay warm.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

oops, glad
Well, getting ready to put the creamy mixture on the pumpkin roll. Blessings to All. Safe warm night:)Goodnight to Partner in Mt. Sterling; be safe on your a.m. trip from Louisville to Va;)
Anne

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
oops, glad
Well, getting ready to put the creamy mixture on the pumpkin roll. Blessings to All. Safe warm night:)Goodnight to Partner in Mt. Sterling; be safe on your a.m. trip from Louisville to Va;)
I just came to this thread to check on you and there you were!!' I was going to ask about partner but you answered my question before I even asked!! How bout that!! It sounds like you had a great christmas and new years! My better half is still home and will probably be here for a few weeks. Hopefully we can get a lot accomplished. Lol. Have a wonderful evening!!
flying spaghetti monster

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

Judged:

Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I just came to this thread to check on you and there you were!!' I was going to ask about partner but you answered my question before I even asked!! How bout that!! It sounds like you had a great christmas and new years! My better half is still home and will probably be here for a few weeks. Hopefully we can get a lot accomplished. Lol. Have a wonderful evening!!
what the hell does this have to do with hundreds of birds dying in western kentucky?
Tiger

Jersey City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

Judged:

where's everyone gone?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

Judged:

Corn cobs... While working on my evening fire, I recalled that Grandpa used to keep a few on the back porch soaking in a larger round red Prince Albert pipe tobacco can with a small amount of kerosene in the bottom, then he used a couple of those to get his coal burning grates to flaming. The cobs soaked up a little of the kerosene and acted like a wick. He carried a smaller flat can about twice the size of a pack of cigarettes in his bibbed overall pocket along with his pipe. I still have that old pipe decorating my back wall made of used barn lumber.

Anne

Henderson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
Corn cobs... While working on my evening fire, I recalled that Grandpa used to keep a few on the back porch soaking in a larger round red Prince Albert pipe tobacco can with a small amount of kerosene in the bottom, then he used a couple of those to get his coal burning grates to flaming. The cobs soaked up a little of the kerosene and acted like a wick. He carried a smaller flat can about twice the size of a pack of cigarettes in his bibbed overall pocket along with his pipe. I still have that old pipe decorating my back wall made of used barn lumber.
Grandma had a fuel oil heating stove in the living room that was to heat the entire house.(That was the intent but by today's standards? Didnt work!) anyway she used a "striker" to light the pilot . It was about 36 inches long and made of heavy weight wire. There was a piece that would slide up and down the long wire and you would insert a wooden kitchen match into this. That piece would be pulled to the top, then released so it could sail down the wire and hit the striker, lighting the match. To light the stoves pilot you would hold the long wire so that the striker was at the ignition point of the fuel oil burner, then you'd release the match holder and, zing, the stove would magically light. When no one was looking I would play with it, lighting match after match. Lol
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

Judged:

@# 95229........let me try to put a little smile in your life!.......and to all you "reg'lars." I've read more than once that birds will survive fine if we don't feed them. Well, I guess that's so but with freezing temperatures, my conscience feels better after I put out a healthy dose of their feed in all four feeders. The last several days have really been frigid, and they have flat been pack'n it away so I'm filling the feeders twice a day. Oh, and suet !! The Belle and I make our own suet to feed them and make 12 - 15 blocks at a time. Downy Woodpeckers and the Cardinals pig out on that stuff. They like it a lot better than the store-bought stuff. Two of the feeders are within sight of where I peddle and I do like see'n so many Cardinals at a time,......maybe 20 -25 males and I don't know how many females, the titmouse, chickadees, Woodrow, finches, doves, etc.(yes, I'm back on the go-no-where-exercise-mo-chine. ) Ever notice,.....?? even tho' there's lots of feed for all of them, they still gotta fight over it. Oh well, that gives the guys on the ground something to eat when it scatters out from the feeders. "Joy To The World.......!!"

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

Judged:

Mississippi Man wrote:
@# 95229........let me try to put a little smile in your life!.......and to all you "reg'lars." I've read more than once that birds will survive fine if we don't feed them. Well, I guess that's so but with freezing temperatures, my conscience feels better after I put out a healthy dose of their feed in all four feeders. The last several days have really been frigid, and they have flat been pack'n it away so I'm filling the feeders twice a day. Oh, and suet !! The Belle and I make our own suet to feed them and make 12 - 15 blocks at a time. Downy Woodpeckers and the Cardinals pig out on that stuff. They like it a lot better than the store-bought stuff. Two of the feeders are within sight of where I peddle and I do like see'n so many Cardinals at a time,......maybe 20 -25 males and I don't know how many females, the titmouse, chickadees, Woodrow, finches, doves, etc.(yes, I'm back on the go-no-where-exercise-mo-chine. ) Ever notice,.....?? even tho' there's lots of feed for all of them, they still gotta fight over it. Oh well, that gives the guys on the ground something to eat when it scatters out from the feeders. "Joy To The World.......!!"
I'd love to know your homemade suet recipe. Will you share?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2014

Judged:

If I lived within the city limits or a subdivision, I would most likely have bird feeders and flower beds especially if the Chemical company had killed out everything except lush lawn grass and that was bagged with the mower and disposed.

But I don't. I live with 2 acres of Eden surrounded by 600 acres of woods on one side and 240 acres of pasture land on the other before you get out to the main highway. My little homestead is the first and last stop for animals and birds coming and going from the woods. At the top of the ridge is a huge farm pond where ducks and geese land. They do not all fly south or some are just late arrivals or just stay here to hang out among the cat-tails and reeds..In front of the place is a small creek that flows to the river, so there is plenty of water here also. Just yesterday, I counted 11 deer that had come to the 1/3 acre of sweet corn residue (Chopped with the mower) to munch. When I have finished with my garden, I leave bean vines and planting for winter forage. So there is really no reason to feed the birds except for what left over foods that I throw out the back door and the chickens don't get.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Richmond Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Richmond Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Richmond People Search