Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,787

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#87568 Mar 20, 2013
betty wrote:
<quoted text>
it hasent let me post in two days..... it look like it does on my pc... but when ever i leave the page completly and come back my post is not there...... one was about diy laundry soap... guess the thought of only spending a penny per load offends topix lmao.
I don't get it, Betty. Sometimes this site seems to take on a life of it's own and some of the very things that should be zapped get to stay, while honestly benign comments get the ax for some reason. I'd have liked to have seen your comment on the DIY laundry soap. Could you maybe try to repost it? I really enjoy reading those DIY articles and such.
:(

Great reading about that Westboro Church, by the way. About time someone hit them where it would hurt, LOL. There it will be, right in their homophobic eyeballs every time they exit that place. Excellent move, hehe!! Check, MATE! I LOVE IT!! Keep us updated on the happenings at the new place that's fighting back if you would.

(I'm a bit concerned that we may soon read of The Equality House being burned to the ground eventually though. Or even something worse happening to them because of those people at Westboro. I pray I'm wrong, but I can already see it happening in my minds eye).

I'm headed to bed now, so you have a great night! Rest well.

_-_Nope_-_
Peace, out.

#87569 Mar 20, 2013
By the way, I just cross posted with your litter box comment. My cat gets extremely vocal if there is a leftover 'cat cookie' in his litter box, even if it landed overnight and I'm just getting up. It is what it is.

I'd rather him let me know though because the litter box is in the back bedroom and I don't want my dogs eating cat turds.
(Okay, come on now. I hear cyber chuckles in the background... But we all know that they do it, hehe)..

You're right about the disease, the parasites, etc. I'd MUCH rather him be the way he is. I appreciate his neediness in that aspect, LOL!!!

Good night, lol.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87570 Mar 20, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't get it, Betty. Sometimes this site seems to take on a life of it's own and some of the very things that should be zapped get to stay, while honestly benign comments get the ax for some reason. I'd have liked to have seen your comment on the DIY laundry soap. Could you maybe try to repost it? I really enjoy reading those DIY articles and such.
:(
Great reading about that Westboro Church, by the way. About time someone hit them where it would hurt, LOL. There it will be, right in their homophobic eyeballs every time they exit that place. Excellent move, hehe!! Check, MATE! I LOVE IT!! Keep us updated on the happenings at the new place that's fighting back if you would.
(I'm a bit concerned that we may soon read of The Equality House being burned to the ground eventually though. Or even something worse happening to them because of those people at Westboro. I pray I'm wrong, but I can already see it happening in my minds eye).
I'm headed to bed now, so you have a great night! Rest well.
_-_Nope_-_
Peace, out.
lol...... the diy laundry soap post was mainly a cautionary about how you should not let it come to a boil while cooking the soap (is you have ever been heating milk and its come to a boil too fast ...you get the picture i am sure...wish i could say this this was the first or even second time i have done this) well the kitchen floor is sparkly clean now :) and the reason im up at this insane hour. thank god i dont work on Thursdays and the munchkins all have prior engagements so no baby sitting either..... with any luck when i do hit the pillow i wont surface till noon. i will post the recipe for the soap and softner then im off to bed as well.

p.s. sorry to hear about your critters passing :( i am notorious for banning he use of a deceased pets name in my house for about six months so i just dont have to think about it and then getting one that looks just like them as a new addition. we all deal in different ways i guess. i get the whole "he who must not be named" complex from my step dad i think. his poor little wiener dog, named Dumas walker (lol rednecks), was hit by a car leaving their driveway about a month ago. every time someone comes over and mentions the dog he goes out and chops wood till they leave. my mom tried talking him into getting another one and he will have none of it tho... says he is never getting another dog till he knows that he is so old that he will out live it. but i think getting another pet is a great way to honor the memory of one thats passed on. i know its an old saying but this is true " you can't change the world for every animal, but for your animal, the world changes forever. " im sure your new pet won the lottery the day they met you.

have a good sleep and god bless
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87571 Mar 20, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
By the way, I just cross posted with your litter box comment. My cat gets extremely vocal if there is a leftover 'cat cookie' in his litter box, even if it landed overnight and I'm just getting up. It is what it is.
I'd rather him let me know though because the litter box is in the back bedroom and I don't want my dogs eating cat turds.
(Okay, come on now. I hear cyber chuckles in the background... But we all know that they do it, hehe)..
You're right about the disease, the parasites, etc. I'd MUCH rather him be the way he is. I appreciate his neediness in that aspect, LOL!!!
Good night, lol.
we gave the cats a walkin closet and put up a baby gate to keep poodle and munchkins out..... they would probably prefer not to have to jump in and out but they like the privacy... joe poodle is pretty admit that poop eating habits will not be broken so this was really the only option.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87573 Mar 21, 2013
now for the fabric softener

it really depends on what container used that decides how much you need of the ingredients.
my fabric softener container is a 164 ounce container that produces about 170 loads worth of softener.

so this is my recipe:

3 containers of cheap hair conditioner ( i get 3 11.5 ounce cheap vo5 bottles for a buck a piece)
but you can use what ever kind you like i just like the vo5 because when you combine the blackberry conditioner with the Shea cashmere conditioner it smells really close to the orchid allure downy i had used for years...

3 cups of white distilled vinegar ( this is your anti static)

really really hot water

mix together in your container and let sit at least two days.... it will be thin and reek of vinegar the first you make it but after a couple days the vinegar smell disappears and it thickens to a softener consistency.

you can also get blander smelling conditioner and just add some fragrance oil like with the soap so the scents match.

the main thing i have noticed with this is again, my skin don't itch as much.... a lot of store softeners i have known they break me out but there are all kinds of conditioners that give me no problems at all.

and i think this stuff results in softer linens than with the store brands.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87574 Mar 21, 2013
well on that note... good night all :)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87575 Mar 21, 2013
@Nope, Betty, and Oglala... after reading about maintaining cats, I am more convinced than ever that the best place for a cat is outdoors. LOL
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87576 Mar 21, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Nope, Betty, and Oglala... after reading about maintaining cats, I am more convinced than ever that the best place for a cat is outdoors. LOL
lol.... i would suggest a big monster barn cat but i think your chickens would not like that very much. they are a pain and sometimes i wonder why in the world i allowed myself to take on as many as i did.... but i never have mice :) thats prolly really the only plus to having them.... other than that little rainbow, they are quite cantankerous.

i have one that pees in hubby's shoes when she is mad at him and another who likes to come up and chew on the paper im reading, and another who will knock your drink right off the table in a very purposeful manner. im allergic to all of them and live on claritan and zertec most of the time. one Tries to control he litter box and keep the others out and another does the same with the food. they habitually gang up on the poodle so we cant leave them alone for more than a few hours. when we go out of town i pay my niece to come stay and keep the peace because im afraid if we just left for the weekend e would come back to a pile of twigs and junk metal. they are beggers and moochers...... i haven't gone number two without being stared at for almost a decade... and every piece of furniture i have ever owned gets scratched to pieces..... i run around with a spray bottle constantly chasing them down off counters and kitchen table..... and i have often contemplated tossing a couple out the front door..... but they do make good foot warmers.

so warm feet and the absense of rodents from my general area vs. total destruction of all my personal possesions.....

yeh.... i would stick with dogs after talking to me too..lol

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#87578 Mar 21, 2013
Wow, it's cold!
Good Morning

Owensboro, KY

#87580 Mar 21, 2013
Just dropping in to ask you birders about attracting pileated woodpeckers. First off, do I even want to go there? Are they even desirable? Second, exactly what type of feeder and food do I use for them? Thanks for any input !
Btw, the laundry soap and fabric softener is interesting . Im going to give that some thought. Maybe that's what our Amish neighbors use? Their laundry soap does leave a different scent on their clothes, but as you said, essential oils would help that! Hmmmm, maybe.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#87583 Mar 21, 2013
There just was a squirrel that scared me half to death. I heard something on the side porch, and thought "who can that be?" I walked to the blinds and looked out, and there was a squirrel sitting ont he AC unit looking at me. Scared him. Scared me! lol!

#87585 Mar 21, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
My cat came with the house, so to speak. Funny thing is, I didn't even want another cat! I'd had a few in the past and did't like having to worry about them being outdoors to be run over, attacked, end up missing for whatever reason, etc.. Odder still is that this cat used to BE an outdoors only cat. Poor thing was probably dumped. It happens a lot out here where I live. And thankfully I discovered eventually that he'd already been neutered.

But he adopted me, it wasn't the other way around. As family members and friends came to visit, he eventually became more and more tame. But then I found myself falling in love with the little bugger and his odd quirks. He'd always be waiting outside for me and my coffee mug every morning. Plus the dogs really liked him for some odd reason. That was strange enough in itself.

Now he rarely ever wants to go outside since I broke down and started letting him in a few years back during a particularly bad snow storm. I felt so bad about him being outside, even though he really didn't seem to mind it out there. So it's MY OWN FAULT that he's a lazy, purring, fat and happy couch 'tater now.
:)

He's done a good job though, catching more than one field mouse in the house during the last few years. And for that, he has more than earned his keep. Litter, vet and food costs per year aren't all that bad on me. I just budget for my critters and use critter food coupons like a mad woman, LOL.

It is what it is. I'm just a critter magnet. God blesses me with little hearts to care for. That's how I look at it, He simply provides. I'd not have it any other way.
<3

#87586 Mar 21, 2013
Another oddity that I forgot to add: He's not been declawed, yet he has never scratched or clawed at any of my furniture. He's a really good little kid!
Tom

Duluth, GA

#87587 Mar 21, 2013
They get old and die
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87588 Mar 21, 2013
Tom wrote:
They get old and die
People do too. Death is just a part of life. Without one, there can be no other.

#87589 Mar 21, 2013
Tom wrote:
They get old and die
Everything does.

On another note though, and sorry to change the subject: Have you ever seen a three thousand plus year old Cypress tree in person? They're so majestic! I visited the one in Florida called "The Senator" many many times before it was burned by a drug addict starting a fire at it's base a few years ago. It's neighboring tree, "Lady Liberty" is said to be over two thousand years old. Thankfully, that one still stands.

A sad thing that was, hearing of "The Senator" being destroyed that way.. I was livid. Human beings just suck. Most are not friends of nature by any means. I was horrified to hear that she burned that tree down like she did. It stood for well over three thousand years until a dope head sitting there getting her buzz on, burned it down.

A THREE THOUSAND YEAR OLD CYPRESS TREE! And it only took one idiot a few hours to destroy it overnight..

I need to do a Google search to find out what her charges eventually where one of these days. Whatever she got, it probably wasn't sufficient for what she did.
(Maybe I don't want to know after all)...

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#87590 Mar 21, 2013
??????-what
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87591 Mar 21, 2013
Happy Noon Bird threaders. I hope everyone is nice and warm since we woke up with 15 degrees temps. What???? It's suppose to be spring. lol

The birds are chirping like it is. I am enjoying this big fat robin that refuses to let the big black birds run it off from the bird feeder. Just too funny. The cats are in the window enjoying the fight.

Nope, I am glad you are going to get a new critter to fill the void of your loss. I have a big fat tom that adopted us when his owners left him while moving. I have had him for four years now although he really belongs to noone. I think he is the stud of the area. He roams, comes back to eat, drink fresh water and sleep it off in "his" cushioned chair or if it is freezing out he crawls into a pet carrier I put into a draw string garbage bag, wrapped in a moving blanket (keeps the cold from the holes in carrier) and then a nice fleece baby blanket to sleep on. He was wary of it at first, like I was trying to capture him or something. He eventually figured out it was there to keep him from the elements and uses it quite often. He is a pure joy. The two house cats (female) watch him from the window and sometimes goes to the door sniffing for him. Just too funny. I love him and if I haven't seen him for a couple days I worry.

Betty, your pet stories are hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. Plus the recipes for laundry day.

AW, I never pictured you a cat person. You and your dog just fit each other. He is adorable, floppy ear and all. lol

lala, hope you are feeling good and done with your taxes. I wish mine were done. I have to let someone else do them this year with extra funds incoming from retirement bonus and cash Mom left us. Ugh. I can't wait to see the grand total the IRS will want. My appointment is next week. I will be glad to get it over with.

I know the thread is slowing down. I don't think we have had the "hot flame" since UNA left. lol

Didn't see Blueminer posting, I hope he and his dad are doing okay. OJG? Hempburn? Hope everyone else is okay and getting ready for Spring/Summer.

Day two and in the 20's. Yuk It does give me time to work on the Spring cleaning concept so when it does get nice and warm again I won't be stuck indoors.

I hope everyone enjoys their day.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87592 Mar 21, 2013
NASA chief says only God can defend Earth against asteroid attack

We know for sure that asteroids hit Earth fairly often. What we don't know is how we should react when the big one finally comes. You might think that NASA would have solid, scientific advice on what to do, but you might be disappointed. NASA chief Charles Bolden, who went to a U.S. House of Representatives Science Committee hearing Tuesday looking for laser money, offered little hope.

While noting "the odds of a near-Earth object strike causing massive casualties and destruction of infrastructure are very small," he said that right now, the only course of action to avert total catastrophe would be to "pray." Assuming, of course, that Bruce Willis is busy that day.[Source]

http://now.msn.com/nasa-chief-advises-citizen...

The best defense is Prayer, but when NASA tells you that is all you have if disturbing to see. I would think if they can stop incoming missiles that they could stop an asteroid. Can't HAARP do that? lol
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87593 Mar 21, 2013
A great easy recipe for some cherry cheesecake I seen on facebook. They are so cute and yummy looking:

Cherry Cheesecake Bites

1 block of Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
jar of or fresh cherries
1 box of Graham crackers

Blend your softened cream cheese and powdered sugar.
Grind your graham crackers (Manual Food Processor to the rescue!)
Dip your cherries in the cream cheese mixture and then into the graham crackers.
Voila! Done in minutes!

recipe from Oh Bite It

The picture shows fresh cherries with the stems so you can pick them up and pop in your mouth. I am going to try them this summer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Am I Supposed to Climb The Ladder of Succes... 7 min Ed H in Room 221 2,219
Fencegate 2015 1 hr bedbug 47
Jamb exam past question and answer isoutcall_08... 1 hr kycat209 2
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 hr Becky 134,361
kevin webb (May '09) 4 hr cathead 20
Jamb upgrading after exam call office_081648801... 4 hr kycat209 2
Jamb exam 2015 question and answer isoutcall_08... 5 hr kycat209 2

Winter Storm Warning for Madison County was issued at March 05 at 3:34AM EST

Richmond Dating
Find my Match