Anonymously report an animal abuser i...

Anonymously report an animal abuser in your town

Posted in the Richmond Forum

Since: Jul 13

Chicago, IL

#1 Jul 21, 2013
Know someone who is mistreating, abusing, or neglecting an animal, but you don't want to be the person to turn them in? Anonymously post their information name, address, etc here.
wzs7dt

Fredericktown, OH

#2 Jul 21, 2013
I have heard there are several dogs in the Dixie Plaza area that are hurt and starving but I don't know that for sure.
CornHoe

Richmond, KY

#3 Jul 21, 2013
Gary foster is abusing anumals again! I think
wzs7dt

Fredericktown, OH

#4 Jul 21, 2013
CornHoe wrote:
Gary foster is abusing anumals again! I think
Gary Foster is a POS and should have been locked up and the key thrown away the last time !!
Think It Through

Richmond, KY

#5 Jul 21, 2013
Legit reporting options are a Google search away. A phone call from a public phone to the local Humane Society or ASPCA can accomplish far more than some semi-anonymous tip on Topix that depends on a stranger with unknown motives to pass the reports along.

Further, people on Topix often use this site to bash others and sling gossip and falsehoods. False reports are likely to abound.

But even if a reader posts here to report what they *think* is abuse but turns out not to be, they are then publicly defaming the character of the accused, for which the accused can retain an attorney, who can then compel a court to subpoena Topix to release posters' access times and IP addresses. With those, the attorney can compel the court to contact your Internet service provider and find out what customer the IP was assigned to at the time. Then the accused has a name to add to a civil defamation case, costing you penalties and court costs, all because you chose to use Topix poorly.

Basically this is a well-meaning but terrible, terrible idea.

Since: Jul 13

Chicago, IL

#6 Jul 21, 2013
Think It Through wrote:
Legit reporting options are a Google search away. A phone call from a public phone to the local Humane Society or ASPCA can accomplish far more than some semi-anonymous tip on Topix that depends on a stranger with unknown motives to pass the reports along.
Further, people on Topix often use this site to bash others and sling gossip and falsehoods. False reports are likely to abound.
But even if a reader posts here to report what they *think* is abuse but turns out not to be, they are then publicly defaming the character of the accused, for which the accused can retain an attorney, who can then compel a court to subpoena Topix to release posters' access times and IP addresses. With those, the attorney can compel the court to contact your Internet service provider and find out what customer the IP was assigned to at the time. Then the accused has a name to add to a civil defamation case, costing you penalties and court costs, all because you chose to use Topix poorly.
Basically this is a well-meaning but terrible, terrible idea.
That could be said for anything that is said on topics... If that were the case just about everyone who comments on a topix subject matter would be in court and owing money...
Think It Through

Richmond, KY

#7 Jul 21, 2013
Two cases that came to mind:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/jury-awards-13...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013...

There are undoubtedly countless smaller instances of cases and judgements/settlements between Average Joes and Janes fighting defamation on Topix, where maybe the dollar amounts are less press worthy, but still, a penalty of maybe hundreds or even thousands of dollars no mere chump change for those of us that aren't filthy rich.

My point is, it happens. All it takes is someone getting wrongly accused, offended, and deciding to press the issue. Granted, many who feel wronged by defamation on this site either feel they lack the means to pursue a civil suit, or they merely lack the knowledge of how to proceed.

Yet all it takes is free consultation with a reasonably competent civil attorney, and the attorney would likely work for a small retainer plus a piece of the pending judgement/settlement.

However small the risk, it is unnecessary when legitimate means of reporting exist that bear no such risk.

Unfortunately for the digital voyeurs and gossip/trouble lovers of the world, it won't be nearly as entertaining as seeing people name names and pick each other apart on Topix... but if taking real, effective action against animal cruelty is truly the goal here, that should be completely irrelevant.
wzs7dt

Fredericktown, OH

#10 Jul 22, 2013
Think It Through wrote:
Two cases that came to mind:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/jury-awards-13...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013...
There are undoubtedly countless smaller instances of cases and judgements/settlements between Average Joes and Janes fighting defamation on Topix, where maybe the dollar amounts are less press worthy, but still, a penalty of maybe hundreds or even thousands of dollars no mere chump change for those of us that aren't filthy rich.
My point is, it happens. All it takes is someone getting wrongly accused, offended, and deciding to press the issue. Granted, many who feel wronged by defamation on this site either feel they lack the means to pursue a civil suit, or they merely lack the knowledge of how to proceed.
Yet all it takes is free consultation with a reasonably competent civil attorney, and the attorney would likely work for a small retainer plus a piece of the pending judgement/settlement.
However small the risk, it is unnecessary when legitimate means of reporting exist that bear no such risk.
Unfortunately for the digital voyeurs and gossip/trouble lovers of the world, it won't be nearly as entertaining as seeing people name names and pick each other apart on Topix... but if taking real, effective action against animal cruelty is truly the goal here, that should be completely irrelevant.
Taking real, effective action, is the goal here. Unfortunately, the anonymous tipster is afraid to report the location. All we need is the general area and we can do the rest.
A person can give a opinion, as was done by me in my first post. That was done in order to give people a example of how one can help us locate these animals without placing themselves in harms way or possible litigation. And my statement of Gary Foster being a POS is a true statement. No slander there. lol
The laws in this area do nothing to protect the welfare of the animals. I believe the only reason Gary Foster was brought up on charges was because of a public outcry. Even with that, the outcome was poor. It's barely a slap on the wrist for any animal abusers in the area, provided one can get the prosecutor to do even that. But, Richmond is not the only town in Ky. where this lack of prosecution occurs. The whole state of Ky needs reform in this area. Operation Sweethearts in Wingo Ky. was about as bad as it could get and yet Shannon Lacewell did not serve any jail time. In 2014, she can be right back at it again if she chooses. The prosecution did absolutely nothing that will stop her from future abuse. The prosecution didn't even bother looking at Audie Craft who was taking the 'good' dogs from there and selling them in New Hampshire. And yet, she and her husband are the ones that helped set up the whole operation.
It is also my understanding that the Humane Society in the area will not give any assistance. Too call Animal Control is a death sentence.
Your concern was well stated and I do appreciate it. However, it might have 'scared', the one person we were hoping would use this venue, away. All we needed was for someone to say, I heard there might be something going on over at such and such street. There's no slander there and it is only a opinion.
wrongmethod

West Union, OH

#13 Jul 22, 2013
Anonymously informed wrote:
Know someone who is mistreating, abusing, or neglecting an animal, but you don't want to be the person to turn them in? Anonymously post their information name, address, etc here.
why should it be anonymous? what are you afraid of?

anonymity for such is too likely to be exploited to harass someone another person doesn't like, or on minor issues like training or disciplining an animal.

if you don't have the guts to say i'm john jones and my neighbor doesn't feed his dog, beats his dog mercilously, etc.,
then you're too much a psie to warrant being listened to.

EVERY person in this country of psies should grow a fking pair and be willing to speak publicly about wrongdoing, whomever/wherever/whatever it is.

being chickens is what's ruined this piece of crap country.

remember -"the state" ie: the government, wants us to hate each other because it gives them excuse and approval to take away more rights every day. this issue of anonimity is bigger than you realize.
John Q Public

Lexington, KY

#14 Jul 23, 2013
Anonymously informed wrote:
i would love to report you... what's your name punk?
gurl-b

Eddyville, KY

#15 Jul 23, 2013
a road name might help...a hungry dog might bark?

?? the punk comment ??

you would want help to if you where tied to a tree and around your neck was something your could not get off like a (collar) or somebody's hands in your case and all you really wanted was just a little to eat.
wzs7dt

Fredericktown, OH

#18 Aug 19, 2013
John Q Public wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey puke punk! How about you tell me your name first? What the heck are you going to report, idiot!? Go read a book if you know how.
wzs7dt

Fredericktown, OH

#19 Aug 19, 2013
John Q Public wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were directing that statement to the abuser, then I apologize.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 15 min PRES DONALD TRUMP 163,624
I Don't Know What The Future Holds, but 52 min translation 114
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 2 hr Sharlene45 41,216
Austin @ the blue moon 4 hr WTFE 10
blue moon (Mar '11) 4 hr The Real Yeti 8
next to walgreens. 5 hr Hass Ole 3
Dr. Kumar at Baptist Health (Mar '14) 5 hr REAL 9

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages