Tommy Floyd Give it up
von trapp

United States

#44 Apr 26, 2011
What about the 3 assistant superintendents and numerous other people that work at the board for 50k plus. Do we really need all of them? Do we really need someone that double dips and takes pictures and video all day? Or what about a pd supervisor when there is NO MONEY for pd?!? Good lord just like our government. They say all they care about is the kids yeah right. Also why not care about the teachers who give their entire lives and sanity to teach the students of Madison county?
kuriosity killed the kat

Richmond, KY

#45 Apr 26, 2011
It hasnt been about the kids in years. The school system in this area is a failure and is failing or children. It's all about the green. The old "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" mentality. Why not put it to a PUBLIC vote on who should or should not get raises? Why don't we have the final say in who DESERVES a raise? I'll tell you why, because the public would pay those bozos what they are worth. If there is enough money to vote Floyd a raise, then there is money to GIVE THE TEACHERS A MATCHING RAISE! There is money to expand the overcrowded schools, improve the quality of classtime, buy some new buses, and the list goes on and on. School board, please quit making the rich even richer at our children's expense! I work hard for my money, and pay taxes out the nose. Give me some say in how you blow it!
opinion

Richmond, KY

#46 Apr 26, 2011
von trapp wrote:
What about the 3 assistant superintendents and numerous other people that work at the board for 50k plus. Do we really need all of them? Do we really need someone that double dips and takes pictures and video all day? Or what about a pd supervisor when there is NO MONEY for pd?!? Good lord just like our government. They say all they care about is the kids yeah right. Also why not care about the teachers who give their entire lives and sanity to teach the students of Madison county?
Who are the assistant superintendents?
Single Malt

Lexington, KY

#47 Apr 26, 2011
If any of you care to check you will find that Madison County has some of the highest paid school teachers in the state.
lockstep

Richmond, KY

#48 Apr 26, 2011
Single Malt wrote:
If any of you care to check you will find that Madison County has some of the highest paid school teachers in the state.
You a board member? You talk like you have a lot of inside info.
Sally

Berea, KY

#50 Apr 26, 2011
He should give it up. Mr. Floyd does not have a PhD or EdD or any other doctoral degree. He should not be that competitive for Lexington or Jefferson County.

I work 40 hours per week at $8 per hour. That means every two weeks I gross $640 or $16,640 per year. For him to get a raise that is more than I make in a year, working over 2080 hours in hard, stressful work -- just seems to be excessive. I would love to get a 50 cent per hour raise, but my company cannot afford the $1000 per year it would cost them. For the school board to give him a $17,000+ raise when no one else at the school is getting a raise is wrong. WRONG
Grandparent

Richmond, KY

#51 Apr 26, 2011
I concur that this is almost a tragedy to allow these monies to be squandered in this fashion when other more pressing things are needed in the school system.

This cannot be seen as anything but a raw slap in the faces to the employees that make the least. Teachers Aids, Nurses, cooks, the very people whos day to day activities constitute the continued functioning of the school system.

It was noted that the system got a 1 percent raise almost a year ago. However I have it on good authority that the above mentioned employees did not receive this raise. These are the people in the trenches with our children on a daily basis. Their efforts need to be rewarded, while the upper management backs their efforts, not makes them feel like second class employees.

Perhaps a county wide strike is in order to express the disdane felt for the board making such a distasteful decision.

Betsy Bohannon
Becky Coyle
John Lackey
Dr. Doug Whitlock
Debbie Frazier
Karen Frohoff
Kevin Hub
Glenn Marshall
Randy Peffer
Marvin Welch
Thomas G. Floyd

I am ashamed of you all, and the ones that require my vote to hold office, have lost it. I will also strive toward the conclusion of seeing you replaced so a issue spawned from unintelligent decisions like this undeserved raise, shall never again rear it's ugly head.

When someone is granted a raise, people should be happy for them and all they are doing.

This incident has saddened the entire county, and shall be remembered on election day, of that I can attest.
Mother of student

Ironton, OH

#52 Apr 27, 2011
Considering the state our schools are in & what has been allowed to go on there I think it is high time to clean house. I am talking about the secretary raping a student, violence, stabbings & drug use is at its highest in years. I do realize that some will say the rape, abuse thing has gone on for years but we can't back up now. We can however begin to clean it up. Why would you want to give a raise of any kind to s super in the midst of this mess. He toots his own horn a lot but really want has he done worthy of that raise?
Classroom Teacher

Pflugerville, TX

#53 Apr 27, 2011
Single Malt wrote:
Actually I did check and, if you are a board member you might should have done the same. At the current pay scales, classroom teacher salaries in Madison County rank 50th out of 174 Ky school districts. Our salary is below the average salary for classroom teachers in Kentucky. Our superintendent's current salary puts him at 25th out of those same counties and his new raise will rank him as the 11th highest paid superintendent in the state. All of this information is readily available on the Ky Dept of Education website.
not so

Richmond, KY

#54 Apr 27, 2011
Single Malt wrote:
And I bet those "some of the highest paid school teachers" are a hand picked few who have their noses up the butts of the right people to make them the highest paid. Tell us what credentials, experience, work load, etc. qualifies these teachers for their high salaries? Give us something tangible to back up your support of Floyd's raise.
not opposed

United States

#55 Apr 27, 2011
I'm not opposed to increasing his salary as long as the salaries of all employees in the system reflect a raise that is similar. All work hard. However, he doesn't work any harder than the teachers, bus drivers, custodians etc. He does a great job but so do others.
Will

United States

#56 Apr 27, 2011
von trapp wrote:
There is not an administer at the Central office that makes as little as 50,000.00 a year. Try a hundred thousand. That is more in line with what they truly make. If you think any of them care about anyone other than themselves you are very naive.
Sue

United States

#57 Apr 27, 2011
Upper Management wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just my opinion, but I would think anyone with a good general education could do the job. It really requires very little skills. Some old fashioned common sense and good people skills and that is about it.
As a college graduate with experience managing people, I could not only do his job, I would do it at 1/2 his current salary.
I have no doubt the county is full of people capable of doing his job, and for way less than he is making.
Have you ever noticed that most Superintendents are retired gym teachers? You know who the gym teachers are? Teachers that slipped through the system, but have no teaching ability. They get made gym teachers.
When I was in school, Shannon Johnson was the Superintendent, before he assumed that position, he was the truant officer.
Did you ever actually speak to Shannon Johnson?
Fortunately I have no children in the school system now, but I am willing to help you people. I will vote against all the current board members next election.
Saying a school Superintendent is a skilled position. Funny. thanks for the laugh!
I too agree that all of this is a disgrace and the comment that "he might get away" was beyond silly. How foolish to think there isn't someone that is qualified that would gladly take and do a good job. But, to say anyone can do this job shows the level of stupidity that is in this county. The state regulations, laws, million dollar budget and safety regulations are enormous. It takes someone that has been in education to even know where to begin. To take you and put you in that position would be about the same as handing you a scapel and telling you to remove someones gall bladder but I am sure you could do that as well. You poor simple idiot.
jumping to conclusions

Richmond, KY

#58 Apr 27, 2011
not so:
Teachers can't be "hand picked" to make more than their fellow teachers because they have their "noses up the butts of the right people". There is a PUBLISHED salary scale and TEACHERS are paid a salary based on their highest degree (BA, MA, MA+hrs., PHD) and number of years teaching experienece. There is NO abitrary "raise" , "bonus" or "salary" based on a whim of an administrator!
And as someone else had already pointed out, Madison County teachers ARE NOT among the highest paid teachers in KY.
Really-Seriously

Berea, KY

#59 Apr 27, 2011
Really? You mean he is going to go back into those schools after he has preached the words, "students first," when obviously that only means he wants teachers and staff to sacrifice-not himself! Seriously? He is going to smile at those teachers who have seen their staffs get smaller while his central office staff employs more people than most counties-even those that are larger. Really? Will he explain to those students that their teachers will still teach even though his actions (and the boards) have probably made morale the lowest in decades? Seriously? Will he still increase his expectations of student and teachers while expecting increases in only his salary? Will he continue to ignore some high performing schools while taking all the credit and praise? I think the board has managed to make his job much more difficult. You have to have the respect of those you lead-they have put that into a question. Serioulsy! Really!
Single Malt

Lexington, KY

#60 Apr 27, 2011
Classroom Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I did check and, if you are a board member you might should have done the same. At the current pay scales, classroom teacher salaries in Madison County rank 50th out of 174 Ky school districts. Our salary is below the average salary for classroom teachers in Kentucky. Our superintendent's current salary puts him at 25th out of those same counties and his new raise will rank him as the 11th highest paid superintendent in the state. All of this information is readily available on the Ky Dept of Education website.
No, I'm not on the Board. You are correct that the information is available on the KY Dept of Education website. I do believe that good teachers are underpaid. A merit system might help instead of using level of education and tenure.

By the way, 50th out of 174 school districts puts Madison County teachers in the top 30% for pay and yet you say your salary is below the average salary for classroom teachers in Kentucky. The avg teacher salary last year for Madison County is $48,574. Are you a math teacher?
Abuse of Tax Money

Eubank, KY

#61 Apr 27, 2011
I've been told that there are 5 or 6 Assistant Supers. Does anyone know if this is true? Is this who our hard-earned tax money is benefiting and not our children?
Did the superintendent request this raise, or was it the board's idea?
Does this man think that he is a company CEO? He needs to realize that he is employed by the taxpayers and that he answers to the taxpayers!
This makes me question any other decisions that he has made or will make in the future. I also see that it is time to seek a board consisting of people with the integrity to put students before personal interests!!
dontknow

Richmond, KY

#62 Apr 28, 2011
Abuse of Tax Money wrote:
I've been told that there are 5 or 6 Assistant Supers. Does anyone know if this is true? Is this who our hard-earned tax money is benefiting and not our children?
Did the superintendent request this raise, or was it the board's idea?
Does this man think that he is a company CEO? He needs to realize that he is employed by the taxpayers and that he answers to the taxpayers!
This makes me question any other decisions that he has made or will make in the future. I also see that it is time to seek a board consisting of people with the integrity to put students before personal interests!!
A look at the departments on the web site shows 3 asst superintendents but there are probably more, not sure.
Wake up

Corbin, KY

#63 Apr 28, 2011
dontknow wrote:
<quoted text>
A look at the departments on the web site shows 3 asst superintendents but there are probably more, not sure.

A few post above someone posted the names and still you wonder. In that post the top four names are the board members, and the other six are the assistant superintendents.

As a teacher in the system, I too feel it may be time for a strike. Nothing like losing the revenue for the students attendance if we take off a month or so, and then see how the board feels about Tommy's raise.
kuriosity killed the kat

Richmond, KY

#64 Apr 28, 2011
I have a question. A certain person I know is a local teacher. She said that she had to work a day without pay because of the state furlough. Most state employees were forced to stay home without pay. Why, if there is enough money for this raise, are teachers being forced to work without pay? Are there any teachers out there that can confirm/deny this? If it is true, then Mr. Floyd receiving this huge raise is even more disgraceful!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 min Ren 176,668
A Trip To Stately Wayne Manor and Fisherman's W... (Jul '17) 37 min translation 4,818
Emcon 5 hr Convict 1
Half truth, half secret. 6 hr Ggg 5
enersys freaky geekys gets groove on (Jan '11) 7 hr Edna 51
Donít wonder where I went when you donít hear f... 9 hr David 4
Prostitutes in richmond? (Dec '12) 16 hr Herboyfriend 70

Richmond Jobs

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages