Tommy Floyd Give it up
My My

United States

#472 May 1, 2013
Wow wrote:
I can't believe anyone could or would support Mr. Floyd and the school board. That is until I read some of the above arguments. One said, "even the custodians at EKU get six free hours for themselves or their family.? That is one of the pretentious things I have ever heard and a great twist of facts. Mr. Floyd got a raise, his doctorate, a trip to Finland paid for by the tax payers of Madison County. While the hardworking teachers, bus drivers, aides, and yes custodians got nothing. Mr. Floyd could have said no to the raise that I stand with my staff but his greed and mission got the best of him. I glad that you admit that he has rubbed shoulders with someone more powerful. That is the plan. He has his high 5 years in, takes a job at chief of staff with a small pay-cut, Holiday has his high 5 years, Holiday will leave and Floyd will take over in Frankfort. As far as a couple are making people in Central office leave. Good, they need to leave. Welch was made fun of after a superintendent interview in a Western Kentucky Newspaper. After his response to a question there is no way he could be hired as a superintendent. Peffer was Mr. Floyd mouth piece not a leader. By the way, it has been reported that Mr. Floyd never reported to work after a school board meeting. So he got 12 extra days of vacations. All and all, not a bad compensation package for a guy who failed as a coach, teacher, asst. principal, principal, asst. superintendent, and superintendent. Huge salary, days off, education free education for himself, free trips and the teachers nothing but higher insurance and the tax payers nothing but higher taxes.
I think the point being made was that perks come with all levels of positions. You surely don't expect a janitor to get the same compensation or package of perks that the superintendent did. If you are a teacher how about you split your check with the janitor. If you think the things Mr. Floyd got in his contract are impressive you should see what the past three presidents of EKU got. Their base salary was not the beginning of their total compensation package. This is the way it is done as people progress. You are just upset that he got the things he got.
My My

United States

#473 May 1, 2013
Wow wrote:
I can't believe anyone could or would support Mr. Floyd and the school board. That is until I read some of the above arguments. One said, "even the custodians at EKU get six free hours for themselves or their family.? That is one of the pretentious things I have ever heard and a great twist of facts. Mr. Floyd got a raise, his doctorate, a trip to Finland paid for by the tax payers of Madison County. While the hardworking teachers, bus drivers, aides, and yes custodians got nothing. Mr. Floyd could have said no to the raise that I stand with my staff but his greed and mission got the best of him. I glad that you admit that he has rubbed shoulders with someone more powerful. That is the plan. He has his high 5 years in, takes a job at chief of staff with a small pay-cut, Holiday has his high 5 years, Holiday will leave and Floyd will take over in Frankfort. As far as a couple are making people in Central office leave. Good, they need to leave. Welch was made fun of after a superintendent interview in a Western Kentucky Newspaper. After his response to a question there is no way he could be hired as a superintendent. Peffer was Mr. Floyd mouth piece not a leader. By the way, it has been reported that Mr. Floyd never reported to work after a school board meeting. So he got 12 extra days of vacations. All and all, not a bad compensation package for a guy who failed as a coach, teacher, asst. principal, principal, asst. superintendent, and superintendent. Huge salary, days off, education free education for himself, free trips and the teachers nothing but higher insurance and the tax payers nothing but higher taxes.
One more thing. I think it would be a hard sell to say he is a man that has failed. I have seen few resumes as impressive as his. If his climb to the top is failure please sign me up for the next class.
gal pal

Cincinnati, OH

#474 May 1, 2013
My My wrote:
<quoted text>
One more thing. I think it would be a hard sell to say he is a man that has failed. I have seen few resumes as impressive as his. If his climb to the top is failure please sign me up for the next class.
ok, ERIN, we get the point.. why dont you go with?
My My

Winchester, KY

#475 May 2, 2013
gal pal wrote:
<quoted text>ok, ERIN, we get the point.. why dont you go with?
There you go again. As previously stated ignorance is in abundance in this county.
Celebrating

Richmond, KY

#476 May 5, 2013
My My wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go again. As previously stated ignorance is in abundance in this county.
You are so right, ignorance is in abundance in this county, or at least that is what Floyd believes. He has treated the people of this community like we were stupid for the last five years, using every avenue to make himself look good while caring very little about doing what is "right". And perhaps we are ignorant...had we been smart, we would have risked more to expose him for who he really is.

It's interesting to me that no one has posed the question about losing our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in command all at the same time.(Floyd, Peffer and Welch). I do not for one second believe that is a coincidence. When they are all "gone" Floyd's real legacy will be revealed, and I don't think it will carry with it his name on a new school building.
After all, great leaders should have the confidence of those they lead. Poll the employees in this county and you will find how relieved they are to see him go. I have worked in the county for over 20 years and no other superintendent has stirred up such controversy or unrest.

So long Mr. Floyd. Time for us to dust your footprints off of our backs and move forward. We were never ignorant, just blind. May we never make the same mistake again!
Geraldo

Winchester, KY

#477 May 5, 2013
Celebrating wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right, ignorance is in abundance in this county, or at least that is what Floyd believes. He has treated the people of this community like we were stupid for the last five years, using every avenue to make himself look good while caring very little about doing what is "right". And perhaps we are ignorant...had we been smart, we would have risked more to expose him for who he really is.
It's interesting to me that no one has posed the question about losing our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in command all at the same time.(Floyd, Peffer and Welch). I do not for one second believe that is a coincidence. When they are all "gone" Floyd's real legacy will be revealed, and I don't think it will carry with it his name on a new school building.
After all, great leaders should have the confidence of those they lead. Poll the employees in this county and you will find how relieved they are to see him go. I have worked in the county for over 20 years and no other superintendent has stirred up such controversy or unrest.
So long Mr. Floyd. Time for us to dust your footprints off of our backs and move forward. We were never ignorant, just blind. May we never make the same mistake again!
Don't stop with Floyd, Peffer and Welch. In just a short past, remember one assistant superintendent took his own life and a couple of major board members resigned. Coincidence maybe but I doubt it. I just don't understand why some of these coincidences just havent been investigated.
Ideas

Richmond, KY

#478 May 5, 2013
Celebrating wrote:
<quoted text>
Insightful post.
My thoughts on the big three. I never understood Mr. Welch. I thought he was a very nice man and a decent person. As for Peffer, he and Mr. Floyd have known each other from the state department and I think when he knew Mr. Floyd was leaving he wanted out as well. Most people are worn out with John Lackey and while his home spun ways have been a hit many view him as a bully. I like many of the things he proposes but his rude approach is a turn off. The man knows nothing about public education and like so many others thinks school business is like it was 20 years ago. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
old school ok

Dayton, OH

#479 May 6, 2013
Ideas wrote:
<quoted text>
Insightful post.
My thoughts on the big three. I never understood Mr. Welch. I thought he was a very nice man and a decent person. As for Peffer, he and Mr. Floyd have known each other from the state department and I think when he knew Mr. Floyd was leaving he wanted out as well. Most people are worn out with John Lackey and while his home spun ways have been a hit many view him as a bully. I like many of the things he proposes but his rude approach is a turn off. The man knows nothing about public education and like so many others thinks school business is like it was 20 years ago. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
I for one am more than happy to put up, with john lackey, being rude. yes, he is OLD SCHOOL, but he knows BS, when he hears it. I hope he thins them all out. He may not be the best authority, on education, but by damn, he knows where every county taxpayer dime, should NOT be spent. KUDOS to you, JOHN LACKEY.
Outofcontrol

Richmond, KY

#480 May 7, 2013
We need more people like Lackey to hopefully make sure the money goes where it needs to. Ol Floyd gets a doctorate paid for while the county has who knows how many people that dont do jack making close to six figures if not more. Now the board is talking about cutting pay for teachers yet again. County pays administrators well, but teachers are moving to other districts because the money is so much better.
Point

United States

#481 May 7, 2013
There is no doubt that many people in this county are in total agreement with John Lackey but there is very little difference in Mr. Floyd and him. Mr. Floyd obtained the contract he had from board members and while it was a contract like most other superintendents statewide people here did not approve of it. Now with John Lackey it is a totally different agenda. At one time or another he has run for everything in this county but dog catcher. He is a smart man and he knows he was unable to win previously so his next step is to establish himself as a spokesperson for the common man.
My opinion of him was formed long before any of this. I have watched him in the legal arena treat pitiful people terribly. He was unnecessarily rude and condescending. Now his unprofessional treatment of Floyd and fellow board members is winning approval but many realize it is just a means to an end.

In my opinion he could care less about any of this but understands it will take a different tactic to win other races than he has previously engaged in.
A word about

Richmond, KY

#482 May 7, 2013
I had to chime in with my opinion about John Lackey. He may be a great person and a stellar attorney. Don't know and really don't care. One thing is for sure, though. He is, hands down, the most rude and customer I have ever waited on in all my life.
Whenever I hear or see the saying, "People will forget what you say, but they'll never forget how they made you feel," I think of him.
Strange

United States

#483 May 8, 2013
Now that the salary for the new EKU president has been revealed at the grand old sum of 400,000.00 not counting perks why isn't anyone raving about that? Makes Mr. Floyd's salary seem rather paltry.
Old Nick

Richmond, KY

#484 May 8, 2013
The county doesn't pay the new EKU president's salary. It did pay Floyd's... and the other useless hangers-on at central office.
Ideas

Cynthiana, KY

#485 May 8, 2013
Old Nick wrote:
The county doesn't pay the new EKU president's salary. It did pay Floyd's... and the other useless hangers-on at central office.
I thought the reference here was to tax payers money paying Mr. Floyd. Who or what do you think the source is for the new presidents 400,000.00 dollar salary. Do you think he is paid with donations? It is one and the same as far as tax money.
Wrong

Richmond, KY

#486 May 8, 2013
You're an idiot. The EKU president is paid from EKU funds, not the county's money. Just what in the hell are you talking about?
Whoa!

Richmond, KY

#487 May 9, 2013
Wrong wrote:
You're an idiot. The EKU president is paid from EKU funds, not the county's money. Just what in the hell are you talking about?
Wow! It doesn't matter from where the tax is filtered, EKU is still funded by tax dollars.
Outofcontrol

Richmond, KY

#488 May 9, 2013
After reading article in the Register, looks like Floyd is getting out before all this excess money spent and wasted the last few years ends up being a headache. Lack of money, cutting salaries, and stuff isn't his problem to worry about anymore.
Ideas

Winchester, KY

#489 May 9, 2013
Wrong wrote:
Folks,

This is an example of the sad state of intelligent thought in our community. Where my friend do you think EKU funds come from? The very few students that are 100% paid tuition account for very little of the money. The vast majority are receiving some type of assistance including school loans. Do you not realize that every university in this state is run with your local and federal tax dollar. Did you think there was a separate fund they draw from?

To put it in terms you perhaps will understand. YOUR tax dollar runs EKU, the Madison County School System, the public library and a host of other institutions.

This is what makes it so very easy for intelligent people such as the new president of EKU and Mr. Floyd to get the kinds of salaries and perks they get. The average person here doesn't even realize how they are being paid. The level of understanding nationwide and in the south in particular is so lacking that when a person of superior intelligence comes along they can take pretty much what they want. This poor soul actually thought EKU is funded from something other than his/her tax dollar. Sad indeed but we shouldn't wonder why the smart ones are able to take advantage from such as this.
Ideas

Winchester, KY

#490 May 9, 2013
[QUOTE who="Whoa!"]<quot ed text>
Wow! It doesn't matter from where the tax is filtered, EKU is still funded by tax dollars.[/QUOTE]

Bless you for having some sense. These people do not realize that EKU is tax dollar supported. I wonder how they would feel if they saw the rest of the EKU perk package. Things like a 25000.00 housing allowance because he doesn't want to live in a house with stairs. That is just a small example.
UK's president --over 500,000.00-
UL's president ---over 700,000.00

People here express negative feelings about these salaries but it is what is being paid. What you read as a base salary is not the beginning of the package. Once again, it makes Mr. Floyd's salary look small.
On Point

Winchester, KY

#491 May 9, 2013
Ideas wrote:
<quoted text>
Bless you for having some sense. These people do not realize that EKU is tax dollar supported. I wonder how they would feel if they saw the rest of the EKU perk package. Things like a 25000.00 housing allowance because he doesn't want to live in a house with stairs. That is just a small example.
UK's president --over 500,000.00-
UL's president ---over 700,000.00
People here express negative feelings about these salaries but it is what is being paid. What you read as a base salary is not the beginning of the package. Once again, it makes Mr. Floyd's salary look small.
Well were not talking about EKUs presidential salary issue here this is a madison county school discussion. If you want to talk about EKU or do a comparison to EKU then go start it somewhere else. I now cant afford to send mine there so who gives a crap, certainly not our state representatives. Now back to the original thread. I think what Floyd did was unethical but certainly not illegal. The blame lies with the board of bobble heads, some of which were too stupid to vote for themselves and just bobbed to Floyds tune and maybe a couple whos family may have benefited from some contract when these new schools were built in return for a yes bobble. Lackey as insane as he is was the only sane one on the board however it did seem that Renfro was starting to wake up and see the light and ask questions. I personally think a lot of questions still need to be asked and I also think an outside audit should be called for before Floyd leaves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I Want To know What I Can Do 2 min BlessedWith4KVizio 1,117
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 20 min Jennifer Renee 39,618
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 26 min Life Alert 156,586
Here we go again 1 hr Mike Brewer 3
Quanex 5 hr Operator 1 6
Leona brown 10 hr blank 9
The Manhattan Club (Apr '10) 12 hr Blueman 37
How often do you spank your wife (Mar '13) Dec 3 Mark 118

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages