Why are so many Americans brainwashed...

Why are so many Americans brainwashed about guns?

Posted in the Richmond Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
eyes open

Richmond, KY

#1 Apr 18, 2013
A lot has changed since 1776.
No civilian should be allowed to own an assault weapon. We have a gun for protection in our home so I am not against all guns and I see the need for them. However, it is an antiquated attitude and mindset that just because that was written into the the U.S.Constitution 250 years ago, that it should apply to modern times. Assault weapons did not even exist in 1776. I am proud to be an American and U.S. citizen and was born here by American parents.
Ron

Richmond, KY

#2 Apr 18, 2013
eyes open wrote:
No civilian should be allowed to own an assault weapon. We have a gun for protection in our home so I am not against all guns and I see the need for them. However, it is an antiquated attitude and mindset that just because that was written into the the U.S.Constitution 250 years ago, that it should apply to modern times. Assault weapons did not even exist in 1776. I am proud to be an American and U.S. citizen and was born here by American parents.
Keep your opinions to yourself, have you ever shot an Assault Rifle? Why do you want to get them banned? Is it because they look different? This may come to a shock to you, only one round comes out when the trigger is squeezed. Just like any other rifle; are you racist? Is it because an AR-15 is black?
ding bat

Richmond, KY

#3 Apr 18, 2013
Ron wrote:
<quoted text>Keep your opinions to yourself, have you ever shot an Assault Rifle? Why do you want to get them banned? Is it because they look different? This may come to a shock to you, only one round comes out when the trigger is squeezed. Just like any other rifle; are you racist? Is it because an AR-15 is black?
What an idiotic response.
Ron

Richmond, KY

#4 Apr 18, 2013
ding bat wrote:
<quoted text>
What an idiotic response.
Why is that? Do you know anything about weaponry?
People

Richmond, KY

#5 Apr 18, 2013
eyes open wrote:

Dude, have you heard of the Ruger Ranch rifle, called the Mini 14? Shoots a .223 Remington bullet. Been around for years. You know what I am speaking about?

That being the rifle of every childhood, and every farm hand and hunter around.

Now do you know the difference between that rifle and an AR-15? One is in a wooden stock and the other is in a black plastic stock. But both guns fire the .223 in the quantity of one bullet fired every time the trigger is pulled. To fire either gun 5 times, you must aim and pull the trigger 5 times.

The only assault is in calling the AR-15 and assault rifle.

I think you are confused and think the AR-15 that everyday people can buy is the same as the M-16 that the military use. That is an assault weapon. It can fire 1 round when the trigger is pulled one time, or 3 rounds for that same one pull, or full auto, that will empty the magazine with that same one pull.

But do not be concerned. Normal people cannot buy or even possess one of these weapons.
Dont Be a Nitwit

Richmond, KY

#6 Apr 18, 2013
eyes open wrote:
By your (lack of) logic, Freedom of Speech should then only apply to the written and spoken word, since voice recordings, faxes, the internet, etc weren't included in the 1st Amendment.

:-|

The notion of bearing arms isn't just for defense against robbers or for squirrel hunting; it's for potentially aiding in the defense of this nation, and if need be, to resist/overthrow a home-grown dictatorship if one ever arises, just as the Founding Fathers had to do. In their day, muskets WERE modern assault weapons, what the armed forces of the day carried, and that's what the citizens were empowered to carry, and for that reason: So that the military's firepower would not exceed that of the people.

If you weren't a sheltered, pampered dimwit, you'd realize that in modern times, and probably right this very minute, somewhere in the world, democratically elected governments have fallen/are falling to coups, military overthrows, and becoming awful dictatorships.

Given the right conditions, it could happen here. Granted, some nuts think it already has, but having seen the real thing first hand, I know better. But I am not under any illusion that it *couldn't* happen.

That's why the 2nd Amendment exists.

Try actually reading the document you've so ridiculously marginalized. Learn about the history of the day. Learn of those who wrote it, and read their subsequent writings outlining their intent, in their own words.

Then, learn something of current events in the world, beyond Kardashian weddings and Glee episodes. Realize that gun owners and gun advocates aren't the ones who've been brainwashed...

...although given your embarrassing display here, yours was definitely a short-cycle load.
gooseandgander

Berea, KY

#7 Apr 18, 2013
This debate is getting old quick. I don't believe all of this government is going to take our guns away nonsense but I also have enough common sense to realize you can ban all you want but if a criminal wants a gun they can get one. We take gun control too far the only people with guns will be the military the cops and the bad guys. I don't want to have to rely too much on any of those three to protect me if the need arises.
ding bat

Richmond, KY

#8 Apr 18, 2013
Not one intellegent reponse yet.
There There

Richmond, KY

#9 Apr 18, 2013
ding bat wrote:
Don't be so hard on yourself.
Ron

Richmond, KY

#10 Apr 18, 2013
ding bat wrote:
Get your life together
say what

Richmond, KY

#11 Apr 19, 2013
Money and guns. Root of all evils.
say what

Richmond, KY

#12 Apr 19, 2013
1776 was a good year but no one could have forseen the future and how things would change.
Voter

San Diego, CA

#13 Apr 20, 2013
say what wrote:
1776 was a good year but no one could have forseen the future and how things would change.

There have been many changes since 1776. But none as far as the Constitution is concerned. Take the 2nd amendment. We are exactly the same concerning the 2nd amendment today as we was when it was first ratified in 1791. 15 years after the constitution was written.

Bet you thought that pesky 2nd amendment was always there huh. I guess as far as we are concerned, it has.
Voter

San Diego, CA

#14 Apr 20, 2013
But to answer your question. "Why are so many Americans brainwashed about guns?"

Mainly because stupid democrats and their natural tendencies towards speaking when they do not understand, combined with the media, and their lack of respect for the truth, their willingness to lie, and their inability to verify the stories they tell, or to exaggerate the truth into a lie to cover some event they do not want the public to know. When they stopped being our news and became the president's cover story, the truth has been hidden.

Their combined lies trying to get the stupid things they want. That is the reason for being afraid of just another tool.
eagle

Richmond, KY

#15 Apr 20, 2013
This should not be a political issue. It is a human issue.
Really

Omaha, NE

#16 Apr 22, 2013
eyes open wrote:
Eyes Open, Your eyes maybe open, but your mind is shut.

Your statement, "No civilian should be allowed to own an assault weapon." Shows your ignorance.

NO CITIZENS ARE ALLOWED TO OWN ASSAULT RIFLES! Get educated!

What was an assault weapon in 1776 used by the Continental Army, when the 2nd Amendment was written? The MUSKET!!!!

What was the weapon owned/used by the average American citizen? The MUSKET!!!!!

What is the assault weapon issued to the US armed forces, reserves, police and other law enforcement agencies. The M-16 AUTOMATIC rifle!

What does the US citizen have which is look like the M-16. The AR-15 SEMI-AUTOMATIC rifle! NOT AN ASSAULT RIFLE!

If you are unwilling to educate yourself about the difference between and an AUTOMATIC rifle and a SEMI-AUTOMATIC rifle then stay ignorant.
Harry Sebastion

Versailles, KY

#17 Apr 22, 2013
ding bat wrote:
For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone other law enforcement or military personnel should be allowed to have an assault weapon.
Ronnie

Tucker, GA

#18 Apr 22, 2013
Harry Sebastion wrote:
<quoted text> For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone other law enforcement or military personnel should be allowed to have an assault weapon.
hey smart guy, what makes a rifle an assault weapon?
Daniel

Richmond, KY

#19 Apr 23, 2013
Talking about AR 15 and other similiar weapons. Not a regular rifle.
Ronnie

Richmond, KY

#20 Apr 23, 2013
Daniel wrote:
Talking about AR 15 and other similiar weapons. Not a regular rifle.
so what makes an AR-15 different?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Distant man 1 min EBW1234 7
Watch out!!! 2 min EBW1234 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 min ChromiuMan 149,575
My Plans For Today 21 min translation 368
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 35 min Jennifer Renee 38,240
Sincere black men 1 hr Fed-up 3
News Pop Tart bandit strikes again (Jan '08) 3 hr Destiny his Kid 20

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages