First Prev
of 2
Next Last
xoxo

Carlisle, KY

#1 Mar 9, 2010
If you have a membership to one ymca does that mean you can go to the ymca in a surrounding county?
the mole

Mount Sterling, KY

#3 Mar 22, 2010
xoxo wrote:
If you have a membership to one ymca does that mean you can go to the ymca in a surrounding county?
you can go to any ymca in america

Richmond, KY

#4 Jun 22, 2010
I have a question about our local YMCA. Does anyone else have a problem with the pool situation? During the school year, you can't use the lane pool after work due to Central's swim team. Now during the summer, if you just want to swim, you have to go between 11:30 and 12:00. Otherwise there is some kind of class going on. My membership is coming due and I'm seriously thinking about not renewing for this reason alone. I like to work out there and my kids like to swim but we are constantly surrounded by swim classes and having to be careful where we swim so they can learn and most of these people aren't members that I can see. So I'm asking myself why I pay over $600 a year to be limited to a half hour of swim time a day unless I want to get dirty looks from swim teachers and have the lifeguard reprimand my children and really me too, for "swimming in their way"?
Just So You Know

Winchester, KY

#5 Aug 10, 2010
Member wrote:
I have a question about our local YMCA. Does anyone else have a problem with the pool situation? During the school year, you can't use the lane pool after work due to Central's swim team. Now during the summer, if you just want to swim, you have to go between 11:30 and 12:00. Otherwise there is some kind of class going on. My membership is coming due and I'm seriously thinking about not renewing for this reason alone. I like to work out there and my kids like to swim but we are constantly surrounded by swim classes and having to be careful where we swim so they can learn and most of these people aren't members that I can see. So I'm asking myself why I pay over $600 a year to be limited to a half hour of swim time a day unless I want to get dirty looks from swim teachers and have the lifeguard reprimand my children and really me too, for "swimming in their way"?
All the members on the "Swim Team" ARE members of the Y and have just as much right to use the pool as you and your children.
Plus, they represent the Richmond YMCA at state and local swim meets, therefore needing the pool time to train.
Maybe, you should spend more time collecting your facts before complaining about things you know nothing about!
YMCA Member

Richmond, KY

#6 Aug 10, 2010
Member wrote:
The YMCA Swim Team would love to have your children on the swim team since they enjoy swimming. What a great way to exercise and be a part of a great team. I saw their facebook message, Swim Team Registration Night/Splash Bash is August 21 from 1-4pm.
seriously

Winchester, KY

#7 Aug 11, 2010
This has been a problem for a long time. The earlier answer was apparently from YMCA staff. Even if there is a reason for it, you as a member should have a right to complain without all of that. The daycare is there during the summer days. The YMCA staff know that many complaints are reasonable but they still act like that about it. Just like the warm pool being closed so frequently.
Ymca downward spiral

Winchester, KY

#8 Aug 11, 2010
If u are a paying member then u and ur children should have the right to swim for more than 30 mins! The swim teams are great and all but some new scheduling needs to take place. For the lady who is paying 600 dollars a yr, u should speak up and let them know u are not happy. Talk to other swimmers there and maybe u all can get together. If nothing gets done I would go elsewhere!
Me and my family went there for over 4 yrs and it just got sorry. The staff was rude at the front desk. There was this janitor that was creepy(he would stare at all the females working out)I do think they got rid of him though, I didnt see him in the end. It just kept going downhill from there.
dear abbey

Winchester, KY

#9 Aug 11, 2010
maybe its time the county school system spent some money on a swim facility that both county schools could use. they sure know how to spend it on other sports and their facilities.the y swim team is not the same as madison centrals. one reason i quit the y is the times that school team used the pool did not coincide with my schedule. i am sure im not alone. i beleive our kids should come first and i would work out around the actual ymca team,but come on the county schools could build a swim facility that could also be used for classesetc.
Just So You Know

Winchester, KY

#10 Aug 15, 2010
dear abbey wrote:
maybe its time the county school system spent some money on a swim facility that both county schools could use. they sure know how to spend it on other sports and their facilities.the y swim team is not the same as madison centrals. one reason i quit the y is the times that school team used the pool did not coincide with my schedule. i am sure im not alone. i beleive our kids should come first and i would work out around the actual ymca team,but come on the county schools could build a swim facility that could also be used for classesetc.
I'm with Dear Abbey! Richmond needs another INDOOR swim facility for the county swim teams...Russell Co., a community much smaller than Richmond, just spent 10 million on an indoor facility for their county schools, etc...It is not always easy for the Y to accommodate everyone, members, daycare, swimteams with the facility they currently have, it's just not big enough!
BTW, Seriously, I am NOT a YMCA staff member, I am a swim team parent. My child is a paying member at the Y and has as much right to use the facility as anyone else. If you are so sure it is a simple scheduling issue at the Y, have you asked yourself when they could possibly switch the "swim Team" practice times to...Are you thinking during the school day? Maybe we should have them bused over there during the day...Or how about 9:00 in the evening? When it is time for them to head to bed so they can get up for school in the morning...Or maybe we should ask them to get up at 4:00 a.m. when the Y isn't even open to train...Are any of these options reasonable for children that range in age from 6-16? Consider these things the next time you want to run your mouth about the 30 minutes a day you have to use the pool!
Barney Fife

Columbus, OH

#11 Aug 15, 2010
Member wrote:
you are very selfish, so give up a kids dream beacause your lame ass wants to swim, so i guess the kids has to swim in the river huh
Barney Fife

Columbus, OH

#12 Aug 15, 2010
thats why richmond has nothing is because alot of people in this county thinks everyone should kiss there asses and should close the doors to everyone else cause they are in there, just like at logans the other night a group got all bent out of shape cause a older couple sat across from them, i have never in my life ever lived in such a selfish county, atleast in mayberry we do something called compasion and shareing
Agree with Member

Sheridan, AR

#13 Aug 15, 2010
I have to agree with "Member" on this because I ran into the same problem, too. I think that it is awesome that the kids are on the swim team and I am proud of them for staying active during the winter months. I have no complaint there. However, I have been a member of the Y for 11 years and last year took an interest in swimming. I thought after work would be a great time to go. However, when I got there I couldn't get a lane. I did talk to a parent standing in the waiting area and she said that they practiced until 6:30 every nght. I asked how long that went on, thinking maybe just a few months and then I could try again, but she said until April. I asked the front desk to see if there was any way I could get a lane, and they said that I could ask the coach but it would be up to him whether or not I could. I definitely respect the coach, but I had a problem with asking a coach if I, as a paying adult memeber, could use the pool.

I don't live in Richmond, so there is nothing for me to do each night while I wait on a lane to open up at 7:00.

I am sure that someone will jump on my response, but this is how I feel from my side of the coin. Again, I think that it is great that the kids are swimming. I would have just liked to swim, too.
Well

Richmond, KY

#15 Aug 15, 2010
I was a member for a couple years and it seemed to me that the pool rules (and the entire Y for that matter) changed each visit. One day my family could all swim in the warm pool.. then the next visit I'd be told my son had to go to the other pool because of his age. I finally just got tired of it and quit. Then, even when I quit, I found out they changed the cancelation date (without notifying me) so they tried to charge me one more month. Honestly though, I do kind of miss going. Wish they ran it better.
Agree with Member

Berea, KY

#16 Aug 15, 2010
I am all for the swim team too, BUT I want to be able to swim whenever the Y is open. That's why I pay my membership dues. I don't understand why it was "up to the coach" either. Why aren't at least 2 lap lanes always open, I belive that's what was promised when i joined the Y.

I have to say from my point of view the team members are rude & messy in the locker room, you can hardly get in there when they are there. AND PLEASE don't let them practice in the morning as I have changed my life to accomodate their schedule.

Richmond DOES need another facility and I think they could support another Y, maybe between Richmond & Berea would be a good location. Local businesses and Council members need to be approached about this possiblity.
Just So You Know

Richmond, KY

#17 Sep 13, 2010
GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!! One Lap Lane is Open during the entire afternoon practice and has been for at least weeks!! Swim on....
notamen

Richmond, KY

#18 Sep 13, 2010
Just So You Know wrote:
GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!! One Lap Lane is Open during the entire afternoon practice and has been for at least weeks!! Swim on....
Wow! A one lap lane for all of us to swim in.
In the Loop

Richmond, KY

#19 Sep 14, 2010
Everyone is a critic, no one is ever happy!
ymca member

Waco, KY

#20 Sep 14, 2010
The YMCA has alot more to offer than swimming and there are 2 pools. The people that work there are great,the building is old but clean, and they have an onsite daycare. Members with young children can use the babysitting service free for up to 2 hours while they work out. I enjoy my membership and for $39 a month for my husband and I you can't beat that.
justme

Prestonsburg, KY

#21 Oct 10, 2010
There are actually two lanes available for swimming, even during swim practice times.
black lady who works desk

Georgetown, KY

#22 Feb 23, 2011
Who is the black lady who works at the front desk?? She has an attitude problem. Everytime i go in there, she has the rudest look on her face. She is not polite at all. She acts like she hates her job and the people who come in. She never smiles. I know some people dont have good days but this is everyday when im there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sierra younger 28 min Kjm30 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr uMoron 143,090
I think my man is obsessed with black men 1 hr Angel Looking Down 9
Fat people are disgusting 2 hr kim song jun 10
Who else is sick of all these "Ed threads"? 3 hr translation 60
Past teacher/student affairs at mad south 4 hr Ed would 11
Almost Amused Are You Out There? I Need To Tal... 4 hr So You Know 27
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages