Checkpoints evoke outcry from Richmon...

Checkpoints evoke outcry from Richmond Latinos

There are 57 comments on the origin.insidebayarea.com story from Sep 1, 2008, titled Checkpoints evoke outcry from Richmond Latinos. In it, origin.insidebayarea.com reports that:

Richmond Police Department officer Joanna Grivetti, near, and other officers check driver's licenses during a checkpoint on 23rd Street in Richmond, Calif.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at origin.insidebayarea.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

JTR

“Common Sense Please”

Since: Jun 07

Fort Worth

#1 Sep 1, 2008
Once again, the hispanic population believes that it is ok to break laws simply because they do not like the laws. Pathetic reasoning.

“Home In Georgia Now”

Since: Jul 07

The "City of Gold" in Georgia

#2 Sep 3, 2008
Keep up the great work. Impound the cars. Make the lives of the "ILLEGAL ALIENS" a living hell. Make their lives miserable with every breath they take. Make them live in constant fear.
Richmond native latino

San Bruno, CA

#3 Oct 7, 2008
The true reason for this outcry is not because of checkpoints alone, it is a combination of political figures involving the Richmond police department to carry out a political event to further there cause to get elected and in the process racial profiling Richmond residents (Hispanics).
No, this is not "here they go again"!
Look at the facts;
1) Traffic checkpoint is organized by a political figure.
2) A flyer is sent out showing an arrow coming from Mexico pointing to Richmond with a picture of a gun, also explaining that all the drugs come from Hispanic countries.
3) A political figure bragging that he organized the checkpoint. And who was he hoping to stop at this checkpoint? Yes "Hispanics"

If this is not recognized as Racial Profiling at its best, then I don't know what is.

Those of you that write in condemning Hispanics "know your facts" before you let your prejudistic feelings flow.

“Green card?”

Since: Jan 08

Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico

#4 Oct 7, 2008
Richmond native latino wrote:
The true reason for this outcry is not because of checkpoints alone, it is a combination of political figures involving the Richmond police department to carry out a political event to further there cause to get elected and in the process racial profiling Richmond residents (Hispanics).
Look at the facts;

It's about time a politician got involved, it was they that let this criminal illegal alien invasion continue for so long.

2) A flyer is sent out showing an arrow coming from Mexico pointing to Richmond with a picture of a gun, also explaining that all the drugs come from Hispanic countries.

Well that's just not fair, only 90% come from Hispanic countries.

3) A political figure bragging that he organized the checkpoint. And who was he hoping to stop at this checkpoint? Yes "Hispanics"

At last, a politician that is honest, I wish him a long and active career.

If this is not recognized as Racial Profiling at its best, then I don't know what is.

If a white guy wearing a red hat robbed someone would you look for an Asian wearing a blue hat? It's about time our police and politicians get real about who the majority of this criminal scum illegal alien invaders are. Kudos to them.

Those of you that write in condemning Hispanics "know your facts" before you let your prejudistic feelings flow.
Hispanic and Latino are words referencing a language, not a particular people, how does the word "prejudistic" fit in?

These people can explain it better,
http://www.wehirealiens.com/
Confession is good for the soul.

“Home In Georgia Now”

#5 Oct 7, 2008
For a traffic checkpoint to be legal it has to be set up to follow the Supreme Court decision of Deleware vs Prouse. All checkpoints are to be set up by the higher command of the law enforcement agency. You either check all cars, every 3rd car, every 5th car and so on. In other words you can not randomly stop a vehicle. So if the guidelines set out in this case are followed any argument is moot. If you set up a DUI checkpoint down the road from a NASCAR race guess what, most folks you get will be NASCAR lovers. Is this targeting NASCAR lovers?? No. Though the odds of anyone caught DUI will be a NASCAR fan is very damn good. The bottom line is you set up checkpoint in compliance with the judicial requirement for a certain purpose, such as DUI, No License, No Insurance etc. Any other crimes you discover are a legal discovery.

The "political" involvement is not needed or warranted. Let the law enforcement community take care of setting up the checkpoints.
One Bad Cat

United States

#6 Oct 7, 2008
How do you say, "License and registration, please," in Spanish?

“Home In Georgia Now”

#7 Oct 7, 2008
Rogerg I do not disagree with you at all. What I mean by my last sentence is to let the checkpoint decision be made by law enforcement. Now if a "politician" wants to call for more "checkpoints" so be it.

“Green card?”

Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico

#8 Oct 7, 2008
One Bad Cat wrote:
How do you say, "License and registration, please," in Spanish?
Licencia y registro, por favor, They never ask those questions here in Mexico, they don't have enough jails.

“Green card?”

Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico

#9 Oct 7, 2008
John In North Carolina wrote:
Rogerg I do not disagree with you at all. What I mean by my last sentence is to let the checkpoint decision be made by law enforcement. Now if a "politician" wants to call for more "checkpoints" so be it.
Not a problem, your right, I was just rebutting him and having a good time doing it.
Dr Robert Branson

Mountain View, CA

#10 Oct 7, 2008
The "political figures" like the mayor and chief of police have every right to establish a policy to improve the quality of life and insure the safety of the citizens. Of course you think it's perfectly fine for illegal aliens to be driving around without licenses and insurance, driving drunk and reckless, etc. so I wouldn't expect you to understand this.

“Home In Georgia Now”

#11 Oct 7, 2008
Rogerg wrote:
<quoted text>
Licencia y registro, por favor, They never ask those questions here in Mexico, they don't have enough jails.
I was hoping you would answer the question.

JTR

“Common Sense Please”

Since: Jun 07

Fort Worth

#12 Oct 7, 2008
Look at the facts;
Is it racial profiling or is it common sense? If a thousand ants and a few flies are eating your lunch, who are you going to put the blame on...the flies? Is there anything to worry about if you are a US citizen?

“Green card?”

Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico

#13 Oct 7, 2008
<quoted text>
I was hoping you would answer the question.
I did,Licencia y registro, por favor.
License and registration please.
Richmond native latino

San Bruno, CA

#14 Oct 7, 2008
Dr Robert Branson wrote:
The "political figures" like the mayor and chief of police have every right to establish a policy to improve the quality of life and insure the safety of the citizens. Of course you think it's perfectly fine for illegal aliens to be driving around without licenses and insurance, driving drunk and reckless, etc. so I wouldn't expect you to understand this.
Did you not read what transpired or is your prejudice tendency’s running amuck again?
Richmond native latino

San Bruno, CA

#15 Oct 7, 2008
For a traffic checkpoint to be legal it has to be set up to follow the Supreme Court decision of Deleware vs Prouse. All checkpoints are to be set up by the higher command of the law enforcement agency. You either check all cars, every 3rd car, every 5th car and so on. In other words you can not randomly stop a vehicle. So if the guidelines set out in this case are followed any argument is moot. If you set up a DUI checkpoint down the road from a NASCAR race guess what, most folks you get will be NASCAR lovers. Is this targeting NASCAR lovers?? No. Though the odds of anyone caught DUI will be a NASCAR fan is very damn good. The bottom line is you set up checkpoint in compliance with the judicial requirement for a certain purpose, such as DUI, No License, No Insurance etc. Any other crimes you discover are a legal discovery.
The "political" involvement is not needed or warranted. Let the law enforcement community take care of setting up the checkpoints.
Tell me, have you ever seen a check point outside a Nascar Race?

“Green card?”

Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico

#16 Oct 7, 2008
<quoted text>
I have, there all over Mexico. They have automatic assault rifles plus a side arm and stop every car. If you travel through mexico you will run into them.
They pretty much stay away from tourist and border areas though.

“Home In Georgia Now”

#17 Oct 8, 2008
<quoted text>
Actually I have taken part in a DUI taskforce enforcement program that worked I-20 in Carroll County, GA that was held on the day the NASCAR race was held in Talladaga, Alabama. This was just one area, there were other concentrated patrol areas.

Guess what we were stopping them as fast as we could for speeding, tailgating, DUI, No License, Suspended License. We were taking them in 3-4 at a time per unit for breath tests.

Why the crackdown on this day?? PUBLIC SAFETY. Did we go after NASCAR fans. No. Were most of the arrests NASCAR fans? Yes. Did NASCAR bitch and whine like the Latino, Hispanic groups? No. The drivers knew the risk, got caught, had their cars towed and went to jail.
Speeders are Murderers

United States

#18 Oct 8, 2008
All mexicans are criminal drivers. It's part of their macho culture. Then they come here and continue their speeding and drunk driving and see nothing wrong with it even if they kill someone.
Jack Shite

Mountain View, CA

#19 Oct 8, 2008
Speeders are Murderers wrote:
All mexicans are criminal drivers. It's part of their macho culture. Then they come here and continue their speeding and drunk driving and see nothing wrong with it even if they kill someone.
As one who takes a strong stand on reckless and drunk drivers and has no problems at all with extra checkpoints where there are known violators I still have to say that you are as fool of shit as a Christmas goose for saying "ALL mexicans are criminal drivers". There are lots of perfectly responsible, competent and safe Mexican drivers. The exceptions should be taken off the road and I don't give a rat's ass what color they are!
tahoecruiser1

Richmond, CA

#20 Oct 8, 2008
Her's what I'd suggest at those DL checkpoints. Let John Marquez and the Mayor pick out the cars in line that get checked. Let's just see if there are any "racial" overtones to their picks. Makes little difference that MOST of the more serious hit and run incidents involve YOU KNOW WHO.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Parents kids and their kids dope abuse 8 hr Adolph Massey 1
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) 21 hr Legal Analyst 17,324
Is Anyone at Berkeley Still Interested in Truth (Nov '15) 22 hr wjabbe 27
Trump Sat BillyG 2
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sat Hipocrit 20,505
Trump Turds Tittilate Tourists Sat Dangling Trinkets 1
News African herbalist teaches the ancient art of he... Aug 26 Inquisitor 53

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages