Is a Recovery/Rehab (ROC) in the midd...

Is a Recovery/Rehab (ROC) in the middle of Richlands a good thing ?

Created by Concerned on Jan 13, 2011

25 votes

Click on an option to vote

In the middle of town is perfect

We need it, but there are better locations

We don't want/need it here

its needed

North Tazewell, VA

#1 Jan 13, 2011
No matter where it is located, this is a very much needed treatment center. I have heard over and over again how there is NO real help for the addicts in this area....well, here you go guys. From everything that I have gathered since living in this area, everyone should be grateful and hopeful that a place like this will soon open it's doors. I have heard that this is a very successful program. I personally wish it and the people it will help the very best recovery possible.
I would also personally prefer the middle of any town for any sort of recovery program, it will be easier for emergency services to reach it quickly...if the need ever arose. Also people have a tendancy to behave themselves more if they are closer to the public verses the outskirts of town.
I wouldn't say the middle of town is a perfect location, but I will say there is no sense in complaining about it when it is so badly needed in this area.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2 Jan 14, 2011
As soon as they break into one of the homes nearby then that will be the end of it.
Idea

Richlands, VA

#3 Jan 14, 2011
If it was somewhere away from public housing (neighborhoods), didn't offer "replacement" drugs,(methadone, suboxone, subutex, & etc.) offered a much longer in housing stay. Had courses such as relapse prevention, parenting, anger management, NA/AA meetings, and etc. If they had programs that will help the transition from rehab to the "real world" such as housing, job placement, and etc. Something similar to a half way house but with a theraputic atmosphere and you do not have to be court ordered to go. You would think something like this would be more productive if the person voluntarily entered themself. This is just an idea...

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#4 Jan 14, 2011
The poster above really sums it up.
just me

New Hope, VA

#5 Jan 14, 2011
citizens really need to know the facts on this one...this is not a rehab or a treatment center - it is a disciple home...not a licensed rehab or treatment provider...scary thing is that it is not our citizens that will be housed there...our citizens will be placed in other homes in Richmond, VA and citizens from Richmond will be brought her...check out their web site...

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#6 Jan 14, 2011
That is just great. I would not live in Richmond if you paid me $200k a year. Ewwww
Idea

Richlands, VA

#7 Jan 14, 2011
I misunderstood this topic. I know about the ROC, and it is based all around church/religion. Not saying this is a bad idea, but for our area especially I believe anything not based around full addiction and recovery will lower the amount of people who would voluntarly enter. In my opinion if they are going to have anything in Tazewell Co it should be a rehabilitation center having everything I said in the previous post for the people in THIS area. If they use the excuse, "Well if they are in their area, they are more than likely to have people drop dope off, and etc" Well, 1.If they are asking people to drop dope off, they aren't ready to quit. 2.More people are likely to enter a rehab in their area, then travel across the state (voluntarly)3.They need to learn how to live sober, in their own environment, not somewhere without the same triggers they will have upon leaving 4.If someone wants to get high, they can find drugs anywhere. 5.I believe our community would be more acceptable to have a "rehab" (or the ROC) that would help the people who they have to live around, then people across the state. This is just my opinion, maybe having the ROC will be okay, but I believe another type of establishment would be more beneficial for this area since it's all based around drug abuse.
my opinion

New Hope, VA

#8 Jan 15, 2011
we need more professional treatment programs/centers.....
here you go again

Richlands, VA

#9 Jan 16, 2011
Another methadone clinic and we all know what that means to the community and brings. This is not the answer...
Drug Free

Kenna, WV

#10 Jan 16, 2011
Rehab is for LOSERS... I Failed when I went.. They kicked me Out.
Idea

Richlands, VA

#11 Jan 16, 2011
I think a rehabilitation center that does NOT offer replacement drugs such as methadone, suboxone, subutex, and etc. would be more beneficial. There are plenty enough places offering these options, we need something different for our community that will have a more positive outcome.
Patient

Kenna, WV

#12 Jan 16, 2011
DIRECT your Care to the homebound patient who cant walk.
hmm

Richlands, VA

#13 Jan 18, 2011
Well. This particular one says that they cant be on any replacement drugs. The area doesn't really matter, no matter where its placed, people wont be happy because its next to their home, or in their town. People are selfish @sses. Thats pretty much a known fact.

However, I am not a fan of the Christian based program. We all know that any addict can be of any faith, and only people willing to listen to the spew will go there. I dont have anything against any particular religion, I am more of the mindset that you know whats wrong and right and you should live according to moral values, whatever beliefs they come from. I just think its not the best atmosphere for a recovery group. Theres plenty of Christian based groups around here. One accepting of any religion would be the best route.

Some of Jewish or Catholic or even Hindu faith wouldn't be willing to go to the recovery center. Gays and lesbians wouldn't want to go for fear of persecution. It seems to me the county needs more diverse solutions than just making everything about God when theres alot of people in Tazewell county that aren't of the mainstream Christian faith.

Overall, its a fairly good step in a positive direction. ANYTHING is a step up from where the county is at.
info

Richlands, VA

#14 Jan 20, 2011
Idea wrote:
If it was somewhere away from public housing (neighborhoods), didn't offer "replacement" drugs,(methadone, suboxone, subutex, & etc.) offered a much longer in housing stay. Had courses such as relapse prevention, parenting, anger management, NA/AA meetings, and etc. If they had programs that will help the transition from rehab to the "real world" such as housing, job placement, and etc. Something similar to a half way house but with a theraputic atmosphere and you do not have to be court ordered to go. You would think something like this would be more productive if the person voluntarily entered themself. This is just an idea...
Good idea, but not realistic. A drug addict would go through a couple of days of detox (without anything) then they would check themselves out. A true addict needs to be supervised, monitored and sometimes have a form of alternate medication in order to detox properly. If you have ever seen a person withdrawal and the sickness/symptoms they have it is very severe and sad.
info

Richlands, VA

#15 Jan 20, 2011
hmm wrote:
Well. This particular one says that they cant be on any replacement drugs. The area doesn't really matter, no matter where its placed, people wont be happy because its next to their home, or in their town. People are selfish @sses. Thats pretty much a known fact.
However, I am not a fan of the Christian based program. We all know that any addict can be of any faith, and only people willing to listen to the spew will go there. I dont have anything against any particular religion, I am more of the mindset that you know whats wrong and right and you should live according to moral values, whatever beliefs they come from. I just think its not the best atmosphere for a recovery group. Theres plenty of Christian based groups around here. One accepting of any religion would be the best route.
Some of Jewish or Catholic or even Hindu faith wouldn't be willing to go to the recovery center. Gays and lesbians wouldn't want to go for fear of persecution. It seems to me the county needs more diverse solutions than just making everything about God when theres alot of people in Tazewell county that aren't of the mainstream Christian faith.
Overall, its a fairly good step in a positive direction. ANYTHING is a step up from where the county is at.
I can't believe you would post something like this. Sometimes people reach rock bottom before they relize there is a higher power. During that time of struggle they reach for something more spiritual to help them overcome the situation. Theses programs don't judge anyone or make them choose a certain religion. the programs are just religious groups in the community that reach out to help those in need, such as addicts. They help the person realize that from there similiar situation, a person can overcome the bad and live a productive life. Standing back in the community and doing nothing will lead to more destruction of the younger generations, speaking of ourselves, our children and our grandchildren, As a community we can stand together to fight drug addiction and crime. I'm sure this center will have strick guidelines to follow and hopefully give those people who have fallen into destruction and chance once more at life!!!!!!!!!!Think About It!!!!!
info

Richlands, VA

#16 Jan 20, 2011
info wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't believe you would post something like this. Sometimes people reach rock bottom before they relize there is a higher power. During that time of struggle they reach for something more spiritual to help them overcome the situation. Theses programs don't judge anyone or make them choose a certain religion. the programs are just religious groups in the community that reach out to help those in need, such as addicts. They help the person realize that from there similiar situation, a person can overcome the bad and live a productive life. Standing back in the community and doing nothing will lead to more destruction of the younger generations, speaking of ourselves, our children and our grandchildren, As a community we can stand together to fight drug addiction and crime. I'm sure this center will have strick guidelines to follow and hopefully give those people who have fallen into destruction and chance once more at life!!!!!!!!!!Think About It!!!!!
However I do agree with you that this are will not be happy with a rehabilation center no matter where they place it. I think that is because alot of people around here are blind and in denial that this area has as big of a problem as it does. I was only explaining how a religious based program is a benefit.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#17 Jan 20, 2011
hmm wrote:
Well. This particular one says that they cant be on any replacement drugs. The area doesn't really matter, no matter where its placed, people wont be happy because its next to their home, or in their town. People are selfish @sses. Thats pretty much a known fact.
However, I am not a fan of the Christian based program. We all know that any addict can be of any faith, and only people willing to listen to the spew will go there. I dont have anything against any particular religion, I am more of the mindset that you know whats wrong and right and you should live according to moral values, whatever beliefs they come from. I just think its not the best atmosphere for a recovery group. Theres plenty of Christian based groups around here. One accepting of any religion would be the best route.
Some of Jewish or Catholic or even Hindu faith wouldn't be willing to go to the recovery center. Gays and lesbians wouldn't want to go for fear of persecution. It seems to me the county needs more diverse solutions than just making everything about God when theres alot of people in Tazewell county that aren't of the mainstream Christian faith.
Overall, its a fairly good step in a positive direction. ANYTHING is a step up from where the county is at.
True. Alot of churches would try to "Cure" the gay part before the drug part.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richlands Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Older hairdresser dating high school boy?? 2 hr Fact 29
GOD will not Bless you if? 3 hr Angel at night 36
Pator amy lambert arrested! 4 hr Angel at night 8
Stephen Pruitt dating 9 hr Yes 6
News Tazewell County, VA was hit the worst with the ... 14 hr concerned 1
Amanda Simpson Fri The watcher 1
WRECK Park (Feb '09) Fri Hmm 18

Richlands Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richlands Mortgages