HardTimes

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Feb 8, 2010
hhh wrote:
some do you are correct but many or just too lazy to get a job and expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter.
These days a lot of people who've never had it hard before are. There are people getting used clothing for their children that never imagined they would have to. For some, it's hard to ask for help when they've never had to before. It's really sad to see a place that is supposed to help people be operated by a bunch of greedy people. It sounds like some of the ones that volunteer only do so in order to get first pick. When you behave like that it always comes back and bites you when you least expect it.
Richlands at its best

Canonsburg, PA

#22 Feb 8, 2010
Yea things are picked through to throw out the garbage. If it's such a horrible place that underminds everyone why can't you find a place to park on days they are open? I know their are other places that help the needy, why isn't everyone going to those places. I know for a fact that alot of the "good stuff" you think they are keeping for theirselves goes to Mt. Mission School in Grundy. That is for kids who have no one to depend on. In my opinion(that's all topix is opinions) someone has gone in there all dolled up
with their Aginer purse and fur coat trying to get a deal on "yard sale" items and got turned away and their feelings got hurt. The Food Pantry is
a place to help those who actually need it, not a yard sale for those looking for a bargin.
different way of giving

Richlands, VA

#23 Feb 8, 2010
HardTimes wrote:
<quoted text>
These days a lot of people who've never had it hard before are. There are people getting used clothing for their children that never imagined they would have to. For some, it's hard to ask for help when they've never had to before. It's really sad to see a place that is supposed to help people be operated by a bunch of greedy people. It sounds like some of the ones that volunteer only do so in order to get first pick. When you behave like that it always comes back and bites you when you least expect it.
We took trash to our local dumpsters one day and saw people picking through and taking some clothes somebody had placed near the dumpster. When we got home we went through the closets, dressers, pantry, cabinets, bathroom shelves..the entire house. Organized everything, labeled the boxes, took em there bright and early one morning, set em down and left. We went back b4 closing time & every single item was gone except a printer.
We hadn't felt that good in a long time!! Pickin up stuff at a dumpster these days is less stressful and less embarrasing for folks than going to pantry or some of the other charities. Because what's discarded is "discarded". If there's nobody around, then a body is free to just grab an item toss it in their car and there's noone standing there looking down their nose at them, judgin em, or making em feel like beggars either. That's what we've been doing with our items lately, especially since findin out just how the pantry really is doing.
honestly

Richlands, VA

#24 Feb 8, 2010
Richlands at its best wrote:
Yea things are picked through to throw out the garbage. If it's such a horrible place that underminds everyone why can't you find a place to park on days they are open? I know their are other places that help the needy, why isn't everyone going to those places. I know for a fact that alot of the "good stuff" you think they are keeping for theirselves goes to Mt. Mission School in Grundy. That is for kids who have no one to depend on. In my opinion(that's all topix is opinions) someone has gone in there all dolled up
with their Aginer purse and fur coat trying to get a deal on "yard sale" items and got turned away and their feelings got hurt. The Food Pantry is
a place to help those who actually need it, not a yard sale for those looking for a bargin.
If it's "NOT a yardsale for those looking for a bargain" then Why are they having yardsales there once or twice a week??
Slick

Raven, VA

#25 Feb 8, 2010
I used to take stuff up there but I give mine to Women In Touch. They will give you a tax deduction and they give theirs to whoever needs it and it is done right
magpie

Cedar Bluff, VA

#26 Feb 8, 2010
hhh wrote:
churches are not taxed so your statement is not true
<quoted text>
my point exactly they give to ROMA for that very reason...check it out...u dont really think they give all that money to them just to let that delong witch be mean to ppl do you? barry told me he heard she was really mean...so why keep doing it?
Claudia

United States

#27 Feb 8, 2010
why you trying to put someones name on here to start more trouble MAGPIE
You Know the Truth

Raven, VA

#28 Feb 8, 2010
I go on a regular basis and yes I have a good job that in honestly I could shop elsewhere.But how I decide to save in any area is completly my choice.You can not know why people shop there, to that sounds likeothers feel that you have a job you should not be in there.Please!! Why would any one care if your looking for a bargin or not.I don't buy a bag just for my family I buy for alot of other in great need.If I need to explain why I'm there.Again I doubt that also.My daughter is taught to appreciate things used or not used.Yes I have seen things not to be aloud to be looked through and yes the best remains up stairs.I have heard that some of the very best things are left upstairs and yes they pick through first all.If your talking about Ramona she has shopped these type clothing her whole life.And yes she loooks through the very best.And acts like she is to good to be in there.PLEASE.If she has so much walking around talking about it why shop there that's what you are asking other people.What I get good things or junk for me or others whos concern is it really???They need to through all the junk or the 100 ragged out T shirts they would not put on their family members.Yes the clothes are very much picked through first for themselves.No matter what any one says!!
And

Raven, VA

#29 Feb 8, 2010
Why those that receieve food their income has to qualify them.They are aloud five items something like that I have seen that lady Norma make them count it out.What if you need more then 5 underclothes is it baised on family size If they would get rid of the clothes so stained no one would pick them out free or not.They would have alot more to offer.But they dress the finest and want to know what the ones that hlps well the ones ordered to.These donations do not come out of ones there personal pocket so why act as if it does that's my biggest complaint!
upset mom

Richlands, VA

#30 Feb 8, 2010
Richlands at its best wrote:
I might be wrong but I don't think that they can turn anyone away they are open to the public.

Of course the food part is a differnt case.

If they are going to turn people away that they deem un-needy then they need to get proof of income like they do in the food section.

I go there every few months. I wouldn't qualify if they asked for proof of low income. But I do know that they make money from the people who shop there who could easily take their money to Belk. So it's a win/win situation for the comunity and the food pantry.

It's just like the Goodwill, anyone can shop there. I've never heard anything differnt.
magpie

Cedar Bluff, VA

#31 Feb 9, 2010
Claudia wrote:
why you trying to put someones name on here to start more trouble MAGPIE
HECK "CLAUDIA" its no secret is it who has control of "roma"? everyone knows who "DELONG" is and what kind of person she is!not out to start trouble just stating a fact as explained to me by a church member...{not going to put their name since its not common knowledge}ANYWAY.....go try to get help on your electric bill and see how she treats YOU then come back on here.
HardTimes

Charlottesville, VA

#32 Feb 9, 2010
I have never been to this place and I do not know any of the people that run it, but I do believe that where there is smoke there is fire. There are so many people with negative experiences on here, must be some truth to it. The story about the little girl needing a coat breaks my heart. It's so sad that anyone would belittle anyone needing help with an electric bill or anything else for that matter. It is hard for people to leave their pride at the door and ask for assistance only to be treated poorly. It's a really bad time, and I feel it is going to get worse. Anyone who is blessed enough to not have it hard is very lucky. If they are in a position to help others and choose to belittle, their time is coming, and it will be 10 times harder on them. How you treat people ALWAYS comes back to you, be it good or bad.
red

Bluefield, VA

#33 Feb 9, 2010
beggars cant be choosers
HardTimes

Charlottesville, VA

#34 Feb 9, 2010
red wrote:
beggars cant be choosers
A lot of people do use the system, it's always been that way. It's bad but true. But these days there are people needing help that work very hard and have never had a "hand out" before. It's hard for people who've never had help to ask. They should be treated with dignity. When your paycheck doesn't increase, but your electric bill triples, groceries go up by 25%, gas increases, not to mention all the layoffs, it can be very hard just to survive. My husband got sick for a year and we completely emptied our savings. We didn't ask for help or get food stamps or temporary disability. Now I wish we would have. We would at least have something left in savings. We have paid into the system all of our lives, but when you've always worked it's very hard to ask for help. When people do ask for help during a bad time they should not be made to feel bad. People are not making fun of the people in Haiti needing assistance, and they shouldn't, but what about our own? Put the shoe on the other foot and show some compassion.
Honestly

Richlands, VA

#35 Feb 9, 2010
red wrote:
beggars cant be choosers
You need to remember what you just typed when your time comes to be the one in need.
whatever magpie

United States

#36 Feb 9, 2010
magpie wrote:
<quoted text>
HECK "CLAUDIA" its no secret is it who has control of "roma"? everyone knows who "DELONG" is and what kind of person she is!not out to start trouble just stating a fact as explained to me by a church member...{not going to put their name since its not common knowledge}ANYWAY.....go try to get help on your electric bill and see how she treats YOU then come back on here.
Actually, I was not refering to "roma" or "delong" whomever these people may be, what I am refering to is where you stated "BARRY said .......whatever the rest of the post was"! my comment had nothing to do with who what or where you get services from being in need. That would be like me getting on here and saying "John doe" said that "billy Bob" was doing this or that. Just another typical "Topic" for Richlands. Someones gotta always be giving another person a hard time or spreading business and half of it is probably far fetched. The way I see it is if you do not want to take your belongings there for whatever reason dont do it! Simple. If you have a problem when your there with something tell them how you feel! I have never seen them tell someone they couldnt put something out they had to go through it. Nor have I seen them tell someone they needed to go through the stuff first. Not saying it did'nt happen to you but give it a rest people go somewhere else for help if your not satisfied with it.....
Choice

United States

#37 Feb 9, 2010
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to remember what you just typed when your time comes to be the one in need.
Well when your in need and YOU REALLY NEED IT are you going to be "choosy" (however u spell it) I do not think so! I think you will be glad to get what you can! ALOT of people say they need help but you would be surprised at the ones that LIE to get help, taking away from the ones who really need it. So I think I am not gonna be a choosy person if I am in need
red

Port Republic, VA

#38 Feb 9, 2010
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>
When the time comes that I have used all of my resources. And there are no ditches to dig,no lawns to mow,no snow to shovel,no elderly to sit with, no children to babysit,no pop cans to pick, no toilets to scrub,absolutely no way of earning income. Or my health fails and there is no social security benefits that i have payed into for the past 25 years left because of the ones that are currently abusing the system.Then I will be more than grateful for any handout i might receive.
ramona

Lebanon, VA

#39 Feb 9, 2010
You Know the Truth wrote:
I go on a regular basis and yes I have a good job that in honestly I could shop elsewhere.But how I decide to save in any area is completly my choice.You can not know why people shop there, to that sounds likeothers feel that you have a job you should not be in there.Please!! Why would any one care if your looking for a bargin or not.I don't buy a bag just for my family I buy for alot of other in great need.If I need to explain why I'm there.Again I doubt that also.My daughter is taught to appreciate things used or not used.Yes I have seen things not to be aloud to be looked through and yes the best remains up stairs.I have heard that some of the very best things are left upstairs and yes they pick through first all.If your talking about Ramona she has shopped these type clothing her whole life.And yes she loooks through the very best.And acts like she is to good to be in there.PLEASE.If she has so much walking around talking about it why shop there that's what you are asking other people.What I get good things or junk for me or others whos concern is it really???They need to through all the junk or the 100 ragged out T shirts they would not put on their family members.Yes the clothes are very much picked through first for themselves.No matter what any one says!!
hey why dont you google ROMA you dumb ass,they werent talking about me.i go there and vol.you could to if you werent to busy being rude.most of my clothes come from retail my husband makes plenty of money,and yes i have gone to these places my whole life i love them.if i find a deal heck ya i'll get it i hardly get a bag in a month.i go there and help out mostly i hang things up or put them out the older ladys sort,and keep very little for themselfs.they dont receive pay nor do i.and as for my acting as if im better than others you most not know me at all.its nice you came on here to post my name and talk trash about me,but wheres your name coward?last time i checked its for the public ,not just low income,if i want to buy something i can.i grow up going on the search of a deal,dans,miss mullins,and now the clothing center,its not a secret.love yard sales too.things have to be sorted and put in there proper place if they just let people rumage through it imagen the mess,and some things are thrown out,things that smell like cat pee shouldnt be donated,sorry just how i feel.
pantry vol

Lebanon, VA

#40 Feb 9, 2010
me too wrote:
i agree with you i think they keep the good stuff for themselves and give the trashy stuff out to the public i know someone who was in the thrift store and a bunch of stuff came in and this person asked about something that had just came in and was told that moon got the first pick of anything
thats an outright lie,moon take somethings to the auction to raise moneys for the food,elec.he doesnt keep it for himself,not that he needs defending ,let no good dead go unpunished

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richlands Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Richlands football 4 hr Jim williams 1
Haunted House in Red Root Ridge? (Jan '12) 8 hr smithu 107
True 9 hr Well 4
Smile You Are Loved (Mar '16) Tue Eternal truth 600
Seeking a man Tue Eternal truth 22
Trump is a con Dec 3 Hate Commies 79
Trump steals 800 jobs from Mexico before even ... Dec 3 Trump SCORES 1

Richlands Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance