AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
ex att guy

Willimantic, CT

#6634 Mar 18, 2013
my background was in electrical/electronics, it helped some at att. i was really hoping to move up the ranks at att and be in the osp engineering group. it really used to be a great place to work. trust me it was a very hard decision to leave a high paying job but i took a pay cut of almost 10/hr to have a way better work environment and actually use my background. att these days is pretty much a dead end job there really is no advancement for anyone just starting out, and i'm pretty sure once the majority of the older core people retire they will most likely contract out all those positions. check with you local ibew hall for the outside workers usually if you want to get into a lineman job its best to sign the books there and get your name in so when they have the apprentice classes you can try and get in plus you can always go down there and talk to them about what's needed to possibly get started.
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#6635 Mar 18, 2013
Very informative. Sounds like you've already gone down the path that I was anticipating.
So it sounds like the ideal union to be represented by would be the IBEW, that way I could take training classes through them to possibly cross over into a lineman in addition to my OPT experience?

Bill to work for ATT and be in IBEW contract basically moving to Chicago area as nearly 7000 ATT union employees belong working in Illinois and northwest Indiana, most all other districts are represented by CWA same union that covers ATT in Florida so a move to the north for a change in climate and culture with ATT would be Sweet Home Chicago ! Buddy Guy among many others.
hog fan

Fort Smith, AR

#6636 Mar 20, 2013
I put in for the Premises Technician and have a test scheduled for tomorrow. What kind of questions are on the test and how much money do they make?
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#6637 Mar 20, 2013
For HOG FAN from PT Sacramento post found on page 290, April 2012....view page 319 mar 5, 2013 for pay scales based on state you are in. Best luck past posts on here states only 40-50% of those testing pass.
PT Sacramento wrote:
<quoted text>
Stuff to study for the tmt-fii test:
http://www.aprtestingservices.com/business/wt...
That's a short mechanical aptitude test like on the tmt.
Also study 25pair color code and binary code if you have time.
Just google "tmt-f ii study", there are a few pointers for what to study and books to read.
workerman

Altadena, CA

#6638 Mar 20, 2013
Has anyone heard back from att about the osp jobs in southern california? I passed the test 2 weeks ago n i thought they would call me fast since they say att has a lot of work and theyre doing massive huring here in california.
Anonymous

Titusville, FL

#6639 Mar 20, 2013
Thanks ex-ATT guy and Milwaukee. Your knowledge has been indispensable.

Having done interviews, passing the tests, and later talking to current long and short term employees both in management and in the field nobody hipped me to the job details and future outlook the way you guys did. I'm rethinking my options and will let you know how things play out.

All the best

Since: Mar 13

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#6640 Mar 20, 2013
So I just got the email for hire right and filled out the background info they requested. I've only had two jobs in the last five years and everything matches my AT&T profile so unless anyone can alert me to anything I should know I'm assuming I should be good right ? Also I don't know if it was a fluke or not but hire right actually sent me two separate emails todo the same background document so I just went ahead and did them both in order to cover myself, any info or experiences on that would be appreciated thnx in advance!
Rstscott

Mentone, CA

#6641 Mar 20, 2013
Hey guys I need some advice.

I am applying for a wire tech position. I have been in my current job in the medical field for the last 14 years. I do have past experience working on a maintenance crew for 5 years at a retirement community. The problem is that this facility is now operating under a different name with different owners etc.. None of the people, including my ex-supervisor are still employed at this location.

I think this experience applys to the position at AT&T, but I am concerned that during the background they will contact them and they will not be able to verify the employment. I worked there over 15 years ago.

Would I be better off leaving this out of my resume to avoid this possible problem.....What would you guys do???

Thanks
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6642 Mar 20, 2013
Rstscott wrote:
Hey guys I need some advice.
I am applying for a wire tech position. I have been in my current job in the medical field for the last 14 years. I do have past experience working on a maintenance crew for 5 years at a retirement community. The problem is that this facility is now operating under a different name with different owners etc.. None of the people, including my ex-supervisor are still employed at this location.
I think this experience applys to the position at AT&T, but I am concerned that during the background they will contact them and they will not be able to verify the employment. I worked there over 15 years ago.
Would I be better off leaving this out of my resume to avoid this possible problem.....What would you guys do???
Thanks
Their background check is VERY thorough when it comes to jobs, so be completely honest. If you tell them this situation upfront, they will find a way to work around it. I had the same issue; worked at a job 3 years ago that is now no longer in business and no way to contact them...i told them that, and they straight told me it shouldn't be an issue and they'll bypass it...I'm sure they tried to find contact info themselves too, but they were ultimately unsuccessful and bypassed that specific job check.
Rstscott

Mentone, CA

#6643 Mar 21, 2013
Thank you for the info CableCowboy. I appreciate it.

Do you know if it is possible to apply and test for WT jobs in other states while still living in CA? I am moving to TN this summer, and I am applying in Nashville?

If anyone has done this it would be nice to know.

Thanks again.
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6644 Mar 22, 2013
AT&T West Tentative Agreement rejected, strike is possible!

http://www.cwa9003.org/...
Bama08

Vidor, TX

#6645 Mar 22, 2013
I start pole climbing on Monday. My whole training is laid out for me and you know where you are expected to go and where your staying. Everything is pass or fail not just pole climbing. We have a few outside temps crossing over to wire tech
workerman

Los Angeles, CA

#6646 Mar 22, 2013
CableCowboy wrote:
AT&T West Tentative Agreement rejected, strike is possible!
http://www.cwa9003.org/...
Dam it!! No wonder att hasnt called!! WhyY would they hire new ppl if they think were going to go on strike. dam it i really need this osp job. They should just switch att workers to a good union like ibew,
Qball0902

United States

#6647 Mar 22, 2013
Rstscott wrote:
Thank you for the info CableCowboy. I appreciate it.
Do you know if it is possible to apply and test for WT jobs in other states while still living in CA? I am moving to TN this summer, and I am applying in Nashville?
If anyone has done this it would be nice to know.
Thanks again.
don't know if this helps but I live in Illinois and filled out an app in New Orleans. Just came back from there for the interview and drug test. If u still live in ca and they want u to go for an interview they will expect u to come out there.

Location hidden

#6648 Mar 22, 2013
Qball0902 wrote:
<quoted text> don't know if this helps but I live in Illinois and filled out an app in New Orleans. Just came back from there for the interview and drug test. If u still live in ca and they want u to go for an interview they will expect u to come out there.
Yes this actually helps me a ton...Thanks. Were you able to take the TMT-Fll test in your home area?
CableCowboy

Goleta, CA

#6649 Mar 23, 2013
Rstscott wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes this actually helps me a ton...Thanks. Were you able to take the TMT-Fll test in your home area?
It would be possible to take the test in your area, but once you go for RJP/one-on-one, you'll have to be there in person and ready to go to training in a few weeks after
Qball0902

Plainfield, IL

#6650 Mar 24, 2013
Rstscott wrote:
<quoted text>
yes I was, they set me up for a place close to me and it was set, test was easy shouldn't be a problem. About a month later they called and said they wanted me in for an interview. Drove my 15 hours and spent maybe 2 hours there. Later that day filled out info for background check. Next day did a physical and drug test. Drove back home and now just waiting for back ground to finish. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Location hidden

#6651 Mar 24, 2013
Qball0902 wrote:
<quoted text>yes I was, they set me up for a place close to me and it was set, test was easy shouldn't be a problem. About a month later they called and said they wanted me in for an interview. Drove my 15 hours and spent maybe 2 hours there. Later that day filled out info for background check. Next day did a physical and drug test. Drove back home and now just waiting for back ground to finish. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Was the test mostly mechanical aptitude?
Qball0902

Plainfield, IL

#6652 Mar 24, 2013
Rstscott wrote:
<quoted text>
yes, when they send u to the test they will give you some example questions.
HopefulPremTech

Covina, CA

#6653 Mar 25, 2013
Rstscott wrote:
<quoted text>
I purchased a boom off Amazon called "Barron's Mechanical Apptitude and spatial relations test" and it helped out a lot. Also, make sure you know your 25-pair color code and have a basic understanding of electrical circuits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richardson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Massage therapist arrested on prostitution charge (Apr '07) 3 hr Dallas farts 27
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) 18 hr Princess Hey 1,553
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) Sun neighbor 2,030
Were There Two Different Jesuses? Sat Ben Avraham 6
Principal Management Group and HOA's Sat David Wheatley 1
News Downtown Plano celebrates Pride Month Jul 4 GayUsA 4
My Wife in need of a Kidney Donor May '17 bakahle 1

Richardson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richardson Mortgages