AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
Anonymous

Mims, FL

#6592 Mar 9, 2013
Milwaukee wrote

"The OPT is higher pay in short term and it is a short term, my question is what are the job opportunities in either field where you live after you are no longer with ATT by your choice or not? After your training and experience can you do something related or would the next job being start over from scratch with the railroad, or government or manufacturing, etc. Hope this clarifies and puts into prospective an answer to your questions."

Unfortunately in my area there are no lateral moves in this field, only downward. ATT would be the best bet. Their main competitor is Brighthouse Networks, and you're lucky if you get hired by them for 10.00/hr. They are trying to farm everything out and get rid of their techs.

The big scam in our area goes something like this...here-today-gone-tomorro w Brighthouse contracting companies advertise daily along the lines of:

"Make 50k/yr plus learning a new trade installing DSL/Phone/TV with a rapidly expanding company. No experience required. Top techs earn 100k+"

I decided to check it out. The interview was a joke. It reminded me of those "opportunity meetings" that these pyramid schemes like Amway have. The interviewer showed me a video of a tech burying cable lines to the tune of 12.50 per install. He supposedly made 200k/yr. I did the math and said "I guess that's possible if he works 24 hours/day, doesn't eat/sleep/pee/go home." The interviewers' body language spoke volumes, he got really defensive. I guess he figured on nobody having basic arithmetic skills.
This company was called Jaguar Cable, and their was no pay during training.

I decided to test the waters and worked for one week for another Brighthouse contractor called 180 connect....it was 10 bucks an hour during the training period. The irony was, I made more than the guy who was training me. We did the math and he averaged 10/hr but with no time and a half after 40. Needless to say I quit after my one week training period.

One tech lost money because he didn't tie a purple tag onto the DSL line that took him 4 hours to install. The job paid thirty, he was "fined" 75 so he spent 45.00 out of his pocket to work that day. Management QA's every job and looks for any technicality they can to not pay the tech. Corrupt is an understatement. I'm amazed anybody stays.

Ive noticed Brighthouses' job board for techs gets smaller and smaller, apparently they're trying to get rid of everybody.....typical corporate BS.

That being said, ATT would be the best opportunity in my area so I'll definitely look into the PT/WT job, especially if I start at the bottom once the OPT gig ends.
Anonymous

Mims, FL

#6593 Mar 9, 2013
"To the best of my knowledge the main reason people opt of the union in a right to work state is to take home more money (dues), as the union still represents you member or not. Concerning a strike in a right to work state you may cross a picket line without penalty if not a union member; union members crossing can be fined by the union but you can resign your membership and then cross if needed, in a forced state crossing the picket line is fine equaling your pay after strike is settled, so you will end up paying out any money made please see following : http://www.nrtw.org/a/a_7_p.htm" ;

Milwaukee, you are the man!
Never thought about it this way...makes sense. I still want a union gig, though....in this day and age the working man needs all the help he can get. Thanks!
New Tech So Cal

El Cajon, CA

#6594 Mar 9, 2013
San Diego Tech wrote:
Any San Diego Techs: Where did they send you for training?
When a bunch of us got hired back in January some started training in SD down in Point Loma, others in Orange County and even some in LA.
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6595 Mar 9, 2013
Milwaukee PT wrote:
<quoted text>
To the best of my knowledge the main reason people opt of the union in a right to work state is to take home more money (dues), as the union still represents you member or not. Concerning a strike in a right to work state you may cross a picket line without penalty if not a union member; union members crossing can be fined by the union but you can resign your membership and then cross if needed, in a forced state crossing the picket line is fine equaling your pay after strike is settled, so you will end up paying out any money made please see following : http://www.nrtw.org/a/a_7_p.htm
If you resign out of union to cross the line, you might as well tattoo "OUTCAST" on your forehead...there will be bad blood between you and every member there, and they will never forgive or forget it. I don't know how those who aren't union are treated if they cross (I assume not much better) but if you decide to be in a union, you better stick with your brothers and sisters in the union or you will be treated lower than dirt. Having training and/or work halted because of a strike sucks for everyone, I'm not looking forward to it if we strike soon, but I'd rather not have to show up after the strike and be labeled a traitor for the rest of my time there.
workerman

Downey, CA

#6596 Mar 9, 2013
Ive been reading that at&t is trying to hire about 500 people throughout california all splicing techs and outside plant techs, but it seems like most jobs r in the sacramento area and i didnt see that they mentioned if they where hiring in anaheim or riverside, but they said they could have those positions for about 3 years.
Anonymous

Cocoa, FL

#6597 Mar 9, 2013
Agreed. That would be career suicide.
Assuming one would even want to go back and explain to their brethren why they were a union scab.
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#6599 Mar 9, 2013
workerman wrote:
Ive been reading that at&t is trying to hire about 500 people throughout california all splicing techs and outside plant techs, but it seems like most jobs r in the sacramento area and i didnt see that they mentioned if they where hiring in anaheim or riverside, but they said they could have those positions for about 3 years.
Initial rollout of uverse was Project Lightspeed, which has been completed. Acoording to this http://www.att.com/gen-mobile/press-room... the next phase known as Project Velocity (VIP) is what is causing the hiring of term splicers and outside positions good till end of 2015, however not sustained growth as ATT would be bringing back all the surplussed line techs from the past two years, in addition our union contract in Midwest states temps (hired for a specific project and cannot go over 12 months of employment), so you may be let go and rehired after 6 months (min time before rehire) or hired as regular limited employee (one who is hired for a specific project more than 1 year but less than 3), again will be terminated at end of project or 36 months, if employees longer than 36 months must be converted to regular employee status...I cannot see that happening as they are trying to reduce higher paying positions. So if choice is more money with no long time future or prem tech with less money and questionable future based on past posts, you decide what is best for you and yours as uverse (IPTV, INTERNET, VOIP) and wireless (MOBILITY) phones are AT&Ts future.
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#6601 Mar 10, 2013
OPT GA wrote:
Heres a little preview of what a "cable splice" does, also called an outside plant technician. Basically when alot of the lines were installed, to save money the phone companies multipled alot of lines, that means 1 pair might service multiple houses. Wll that wont work with U-verse, so now they have to dig up buried spices and the opt's go in and commit pairs to houses and eleminate multiples. Thus speeding up the bandwidth.
Lots of fun crawling in muddy pits :) However the job is term but the next thing at&t is going to have to do is the FTTL conversion and I hear thats gonna be bigger than U-verse
http://www.line-man.com/forums/index.php/topi... att releasing splicers
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23521469-at-... surplus techs in Midwest 2010 with comments
http://articles.courant.com/2012-11-30/busine... third layoff in three years at Christmas time
http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/off-top...
http://www.ibew21.org/index.cfm... April 21012 85 splicers and 11 OPT surplused (these are regular employees not temps losing their jobs)
workerman

Buena Park, CA

#6602 Mar 10, 2013
Milwaukee PT wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.line-man.com/forums/index.php/topi... att releasing splicers
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23521469-at-... surplus techs in Midwest 2010 with comments
http://articles.courant.com/2012-11-30/busine... third layoff in three years at Christmas time
http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/off-top...
http://www.ibew21.org/index.cfm... April 21012 85 splicers and 11 OPT surplused (these are regular employees not temps losing their jobs)
So why are they hiring more people inatead of rehiring the old workers
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#6603 Mar 10, 2013
1) Past regular workers either moved to another dept, if they had enough seniority to displace someone in another dept, some retired with enough time with company, and some did not want to be a pt or office job so left.
2) For temp workers if released you must wait six months before you can reapply and then go thru hiring process again to be hired as another temp for 6 months to 3 years, not many can or will wait that long. If you are hired as splicers/OPT remember it is a temp job, be smart do not make any large purchase such as home or auto that requires long payment commitments.
3) If the jobs were regular employment their are so many others employees at ATT who could bid on the job and those off the street would not have a chance, but why give up full-time status as an office clerk with pension to take a temp job and be unemployed in a year or two just for higher short term pay.
4) My understanding is you are hired for local work, when that is completed and they move to next city say 90-100 miles away, you are released and they will hire workers in that community for that build, I suspect if they could they would not hire any just use contractors like is done for building or repaving highways
Side note: currently we are scheduled for nine hour days but I still Ave 100 hours every two weeks (8.5 to 12 hr for 10hr averages) last summer I had four pay periods of 121 to 135 hrs (8 wks, 12+ hrs / day). As a PT you can also be send out of your area to work for periods at a time, we have sent techs to east coast, Ohio, and this week 22 techs to Detroit for 3 weeks, 6 day/wk, as many hours as you want (otherwise you are in hotel room), just normal pay with overtime and $35/day for meals. You drive your company truck to new city, dispatch, truck to hotel, rinse, repeat till last day drive truck back to home garage). I have yet to go out as they request volunteers first but sooner or later you will probably go if you stay long enough.
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#6604 Mar 11, 2013
From Sept 17, 2008
Tweeder former FTTN wrote:
In illinois alone they hired like 1000 FTTN conditioners dating back to beginning of 2007, My NCS date is almost at years now. I have watched them "let go" of 200 terms last week, another 200 will be on Sept. 29, and even more by 2nd week of October and More up through March supposedly. It's coming down the tubes fast towards me and my boys. Illinois had the top senior 100 term techs preference for either I&R/I&M and a new division called First Mile, which is the old IMO rehab crew. They fed us all that same dreams and asperations mumbo jumbo if your numbers are high, you can go somewhere, bullshit. I never fell for that one bit. This company doesnt care about you in these term positions.
If they can get 90% of their build done by techs that they dont have to make perminant, why would they care? Its more cost efficient to their wallets in texas. As for techs moving around, those in Illinois that went to First Mile Rehab crew supposedly got a 2yr term extension, which really dont mean shit. They can say "Term Complete" anytime they want according to the wording of the paperwork for TERMS. Im watching more and more hard working, once greatfull, terms get let go and nobody is safe except maybe those in I&R now. But all construction terms are worried.
Furthermore my boy that got hired as a prem tech is an official full time employee but yeah, they treat him like dogshit too. The reason why they are making so much less is because U-verse techs are not certified to climb poles and ladders. They can easily train these techs but they need an excuse to pay them garbage wages. Yes AT&T is a great company with great benifits, but it seems like they dont want us around long enough to enjoy it. But it does look good on the resume that you worked for a Fortune 100 company, so get as much as we can, right? F- that we want perminant jobs here. Im a very pro union worker and out of the terms from my now Ex-garage (due to my preference), they refer to me as their steward. Because our stewards never gave two shits. They never helped the terms one bit, never even told us about the upcoming preferences or layoffs, sorry term completes, if it wasnt for my investigating we wouldnt have heard shit at all. Sorry I know Im just ranting here but its so frustrating looking out for myself and others when we are so ill informed and misrepresented by our own union it makes me sick. I just wish I really knew what this company has planned for us or if there is hope for the senior few techs at least, because I get call all through the night from techs, worried about looking for another job in these crappy economic times and feeding their families. Theres nothing out there half as good as what we got right now and we are all currently spoiled. I wish I could tell my guys that theres hope for us, but that light is fading fast and soon the curtain will drop and we'll actually see what happens. All I /we can do is wait and see though I guess. I pray for me and my guys every night we don't fall victim to the same, and that our NCS dates will save us possibly, but all I can do for now is keep feeding their own false hopes and my own and tell them "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best."
Sorry I dont know if this even helps anyone else on here at all, but myself. But I really needed to get that out to the world. Goodluck brothers!
--Eskimo Boy---BG Splice Lords
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#6605 Mar 11, 2013
From Sept 27, 2008 post of what happened last time att hired temp splicers /opt for uverse initial build out
To whom it may concern wrote:
I dont expect anyone to listen to me, so I will make this short and sweet. I was hired as a splicer and laid off 10 mos. later. The contract in 09 if you are a term this contract means nothing to you. I worked with a guy who had 28 years with the company after his 3 year contract expired he was laid off as well. Then was offered a prem tech position what a kick in the face. It does not matter how hard you work if you are term you will be let go so either continue to work as term or find secure work that will allow you to continually feed your family.
Anonymous

Titusville, FL

#6606 Mar 11, 2013
If full time regular employees are laid off or given the option to become PTs are they started at approx 15/hr or do they make top pay if they have 5+ years in?
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6607 Mar 11, 2013
Bill in FL wrote:
Milwaukee wrote
l moves in this field, only downward. ATT would be the best bet. Their main competitor is Brighthouse Networks, and you're lucky if you get hired by them for 10.00/hr. They are trying to farm everything out and get rid of their techs.
The big scam in our area goes something like this...here-today-gone-tomorro w Brighthouse contracting companies advertise daily along the lines of:
"Make 50k/yr plus learning a new trade installing DSL/Phone/TV with a rapidly expanding company. No experience required. Top techs earn 100k+"
I decided to check it out. The interview was a joke. It reminded me of those "opportunity meetings" that these pyramid schemes like Amway have. The interviewer showed me a video of a tech burying cable lines to the tune of 12.50 per install. He supposedly made 200k/yr. I did the math and said "I guess that's possible if he works 24 hours/day, doesn't eat/sleep/pee/go home." The interviewers' body language spoke volumes, he got really defensive. I guess he figured on nobody having basic arithmetic skills.
Just after I read this, I was cruising Craigslist and ran across a Brighthouse ad with wild income claims hahaha. I had the same experience interviewing with a contractor out here...claimed "well if you do your job well you should make about $2000/week for piece rate" I tried not to laugh, but same thing, if I worked round the clock, 7 days a week and the customer bought a generous amount of equipment, then yeah, MAYBE. Absolutely unrealistic though.

Quick update...today was first day for my PT training...so far so good..we even got those neat-o ATT hard hats! hahah. Next week is ride alongs and hands on wiring, looking forward to that.
John

El Sobrante, CA

#6608 Mar 11, 2013
CableCowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
If you resign out of union to cross the line, you might as well tattoo "OUTCAST" on your forehead...there will be bad blood between you and every member there, and they will never forgive or forget it. I don't know how those who aren't union are treated if they cross (I assume not much better) but if you decide to be in a union, you better stick with your brothers and sisters in the union or you will be treated lower than dirt. Having training and/or work halted because of a strike sucks for everyone, I'm not looking forward to it if we strike soon, but I'd rather not have to show up after the strike and be labeled a traitor for the rest of my time there.
This is very true.
ex att guy

Willimantic, CT

#6609 Mar 12, 2013
Bill in FL wrote:
If full time regular employees are laid off or given the option to become PTs are they started at approx 15/hr or do they make top pay if they have 5+ years in?
if you were a regular att full time employee and were surplused and opt for the premtech position you keep your current pay until the rate of pay for premtechs catches up to your current rate, which will most likely never happen. thats what happened in my case, surplused into premtech from i&r kept my pay and senority which meant best vacation picks,sched picks and making $10/hr more than the premtechs in my garage. that was until i left att all together, felt like i wasted 14yrs of my life there thinking i had a career and a chance to advance and use my degree, that would have been my path before the sbc/att buyouts. if you guys think you will have a career at att think again and only use them to pad your resume and use the att experience to move on to better things.
OC Tech

Los Angeles, CA

#6610 Mar 12, 2013
I applied for Splicing Tech at att in Orange County about a month ago and took the TMTII test a couple of weeks ago in L.A. and passed but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone in SoCal heard back about the ST or OPT positions?
Rancho

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#6611 Mar 12, 2013
OC Tech wrote:
I applied for Splicing Tech at att in Orange County about a month ago and took the TMTII test a couple of weeks ago in L.A. and passed but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone in SoCal heard back about the ST or OPT positions?
I tested and passed last week and the HR staffing people there said they could let u know anywhere between thy day and a year. It's just whenever they need people.
n0rthwall

South San Francisco, CA

#6612 Mar 12, 2013
hemipowered wrote:
<quoted text>
Do they pay for travel time or mileage for training? My orientation is in Stockton but I bet they send me to san Jose for training. I live in Stockton, im used to driving but that's a hike for the cut in pay I'm taking. I can deal with it but just wondered if they do any type of reimbursement for travel.
Yes they factor in mileage for you and give you a 30 dollar a day per diem for training. They will also put you up in a hotel if its past a certain mileage, otherwise they will pay you mileage, but only from the yard you're assigned to to the training facility. Hotel is paid for, but be prepared to put a credit card down for incidentals. If you get friendly with the staff they don't ask for it after the 2nd or 3rd week you check in.

Oh also, my bad with the t-shirts, collared shirts are now being required. Jeans for us are still ok though, as well as khakis or dickies.

As to the other question regarding pole climbing, no. It's not in the contract yet, and from what I've heard unless the pay is more, most voters are rejecting this contract. If and when it does go through, we probably won't be going to pole climbing school for at least 6 months.
Anonymous

Titusville, FL

#6613 Mar 12, 2013
CableCowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Just after I read this, I was cruising Craigslist and ran across a Brighthouse ad with wild income claims hahaha. I had the same experience interviewing with a contractor out here...claimed "well if you do your job well you should make about $2000/week for piece rate" I tried not to laugh, but same thing, if I worked round the clock, 7 days a week and the customer bought a generous amount of equipment, then yeah, MAYBE. Absolutely unrealistic though.
Quick update...today was first day for my PT training...so far so good..we even got those neat-o ATT hard hats! hahah. Next week is ride alongs and hands on wiring, looking forward to that.
Laughable, isnt it? I talked to another installer who worked for a competing company during my 1 week tenure.

He stated how much he was making, we exchanged piece-rate charts our employers provided (a fire-able offense, but I didn't care) and his company was paying even less per job.

What's interesting is the rhetoric about how much money he supposedly made was the same mantra their competitor's interviewer parroted. They were more about bragging and one-upsmanship instead of saying "Im getting screwed". Its like a cult....the guys who stay with these companies are brainwashed. Corporations love compliant drones.

Congrats on your progress as a PT tech. I've applied for the ones in my area, now it's just a waiting game.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richardson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Continental Parts co. (Apr '14) 1 hr Ed Taiwo 14
News Donald Trump's birther nonsense 11 hr Gigglez6603 7
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 16 hr Dandy Andy 256
second chance apartments/rentals? 21 hr needaplace 1
Plano Arrest Records and Criminal Mugshots Sat jack 2
Garland Arrest Records and Criminal Mugshots Sat Caleb 2
Dallas Mugshots and Criminal Arrest Records Sat Declan 2

Richardson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richardson Mortgages