AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
new tech

Lancaster, CA

#6428 Feb 3, 2013
Milwaukee PT wrote:
Welcome new tech, the training is not hard, the job is not hard but the training is lacking, think BASIC instruction to equip you in resolving the many different possibilities that will be encountered. Many new tech after their training and supervised rides when released on their own wonder what happened and where is the training to cover their new experiences. As time allows spend some time at uverseusers or dslreports under at&t to review customer concerns and issues. Uverseusers also has employee central where some ask questions and share knowledge on many work issues. Good luck to you and yours, remember the high turnover rate results in few two plus year experienced techs, younger workers return to school, family workers look for more balanced lifestyle employment and older workers are .... Do the job to your best ability, follow your training, apply your smarts to resolving customer issues result in high survey scores, meet all objectives in required tests and reading assignments and you should do well.
Thanks for the advice
neal

Riverdale, GA

#6429 Feb 5, 2013
question wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the info! I took the test today and I was 270! I need to lose some weight, but working in this hot weather should help with that.
Do they weigh you at the interview
new tech

Lancaster, CA

#6430 Feb 5, 2013
neal wrote:
<quoted text>
Do they weigh you at the interview
They weigh you after you pass the interview, specifically when you take the Physical evaluation.
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6431 Feb 6, 2013
Just had RJP/1on1 yesterday, and now in the "pool of applicants" to wait for an offer.
We were told however that there is NO pole climbing...no gaffing, ladders, buckets, no aerial work whatsoever...So what exactly are we doing then? Going to the house, installing equipment and activating it? Are we even working on NIDs or anything outside the house??
Plus, I asked the interviewer if there was a chance for advancement onto a line crew or maintenance, and he said he'd never seen that happen from the PremTech position...although he said you could advance to a manager and go somewhere else after...is that possible, or how the heck can you get on a line crew, if at all possible anymore?
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

#6432 Feb 6, 2013
[

From june 5. Page295,
PT Sacramento wrote:
<quoted text>
Because INR jobs are in numerical decline. Prem techs are going to be filling in more and more of the INR role, leaving what's left for INRs with seniority to fight over, and as they retire out, now and then when more are needed, they can simply be pulled from the pool of INR techs forced to become PTs in the meantime.
You can look at it one way, and say "PT and INR are merging into the same dual-role position", or more negatively and say "INR is on the way out".
As a PT myself, what I'd really like to see is for INR to stick around, and for Frames to get tossed. INR can work Frames through the F2, with PTs covering the house and pole (drastically reducing the "nuisance calls" we need to do now just to have someone run a drop wire, or tie down at the terminal, etc). Plus, Frames techs at the COs have been decreased so much anyway, that they're basically unable to keep up with the work/answer their phones as it is. I'd say about 20% of my jobs are problems with CO work not being done by the due date.
When att had built out of UV they hired temp works around $25/hr for two years term, when the job was done they were let go or offered PT positions at HALF pay, experienced line men are retiring or being moved into office or PT positions with no pay cut, if future linemen are needed they will be offered first choice. To xfer you need 18 months to 30 months as a PT depending on region, then based on seniorty . Only real advancement as a Pt is either PT manager or tier 2 phone, smart chat support if one is in your area. Very few techs make two years so a mute point to look for outside line work.
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6433 Feb 7, 2013
Milwaukee PT wrote:
[
From june 5. Page295,<quoted text>
When att had built out of UV they hired temp works around $25/hr for two years term, when the job was done they were let go or offered PT positions at HALF pay, experienced line men are retiring or being moved into office or PT positions with no pay cut, if future linemen are needed they will be offered first choice. To xfer you need 18 months to 30 months as a PT depending on region, then based on seniorty . Only real advancement as a Pt is either PT manager or tier 2 phone, smart chat support if one is in your area. Very few techs make two years so a mute point to look for outside line work.
Awesome...advance to a PT Manager and go from working outside to behind a desk managing people doing paperwork..
The only OSP/Lineman positions I've seen are in the South, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, Tennessee, etc. If I could up and leave here in an instant and be able to live out there, I'd jump all over that.
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

#6434 Feb 7, 2013
CableCowboy you should be part of ATT SW, they did not ratified contract a new vote is scheduled in feb , for detail highlights visit CWA D6, sounds like PTs will be getting more outside work for .60 an hour more, possible like many areas already are doing, working the cross box jumpers, drop from term to NID, all NID work, homerun , and all inside work, in addition sounds like outside linemen will also be working up to and including on RG on trouble tickets. CWA also represents verizon in that region although I think they are working without a contract, just another possible job option for you.
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6435 Feb 7, 2013
Milwaukee PT wrote:
CableCowboy you should be part of ATT SW, they did not ratified contract a new vote is scheduled in feb , for detail highlights visit CWA D6, sounds like PTs will be getting more outside work for .60 an hour more, possible like many areas already are doing, working the cross box jumpers, drop from term to NID, all NID work, homerun , and all inside work, in addition sounds like outside linemen will also be working up to and including on RG on trouble tickets. CWA also represents verizon in that region although I think they are working without a contract, just another possible job option for you.
Thanks for the info Milwaukee, I'll look into that. Funny, as of yesterday they just opened a LOAD of positions around here for OSP and Splicing, but they are all "Term" positions. They gave me a conditional offer right now dependent on background check, drug test, etc. but I applied to those anyways, since that's really what I want to be doing. Wish it was a perm position, but by then I hope to be in my power apprenticeship too.
Missouri PT

United States

#6436 Feb 9, 2013
Milwaukee PT wrote:
CableCowboy you should be part of ATT SW, they did not ratified contract a new vote is scheduled in feb , for detail highlights visit CWA D6, sounds like PTs will be getting more outside work for .60 an hour more, possible like many areas already are doing, working the cross box jumpers, drop from term to NID, all NID work, homerun , and all inside work, in addition sounds like outside linemen will also be working up to and including on RG on trouble tickets. CWA also represents verizon in that region although I think they are working without a contract, just another possible job option for you.
Here in the SW we already do cross box jumpers, drops, climb, all nid work and all interior work. This new agreement would have us doing cutovers in the crossbox (moving an existing pots customer that is on a conditioned pair to an unconditioned pair so we can use the conditioned pair for a uverse install) and installing a new magical resister that negates bridge tap echo until I&R can actually remove it.
TimNola

Oklahoma City, OK

#6437 Feb 11, 2013
I am schedule for RJP for tomorrow. Is there an 1 on 1 interview also? Please let me know more informations!
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6438 Feb 11, 2013
TimNola wrote:
I am schedule for RJP for tomorrow. Is there an 1 on 1 interview also? Please let me know more informations!
RJP USUALLY includes the 1 on 1 directly after it, that's how mine was too. They ask the 4 questions thing, and then ask you about your experience, etc. They'll contact you after for a conditional job offer if you made it past the RJP (which you probably will). Good luck sir!
Tim

San Francisco, CA

#6439 Feb 12, 2013
I have been working as a premise tech for 2 years in Ca., week ago i just got offered by electrical union.
I need some advises plz, Should i take that offer or turn it down, Thanks
new tech

Lancaster, CA

#6440 Feb 12, 2013
Tim wrote:
I have been working as a premise tech for 2 years in Ca., week ago i just got offered by electrical union.
I need some advises plz, Should i take that offer or turn it down, Thanks
I'm in CA also.
It all depends. Is it a long or short call and is it to be a journeyman or apprentice?
i have a questions for you also. I just the firm job offer for prem tech. If i can stand the long hours, will i make to atleast a year on this job?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#6441 Feb 12, 2013
Been doing pole climbing the last few days at the training center. Its not that hard just repetition and take your time. Your instructor wants to make sure he see's EVERY step you take in the process.

Was within 4-6hrs from center so I was told to drive personal vehicle and reimbursed for mileage and gas.

They pay for hotel and per diem daily. Hope you get the better of the locations available compared to other out of state trainees.
Bama08

Mobile, AL

#6442 Feb 13, 2013
I actually just got hired on at Comcast at 10.75 but I interviewed for Comcast and Att the same dAy. Att called me today and they offered a job once my background is done and physical ill know more about pay. It's for a "wire tech " job. I was told prem tech is now wire tech and this is a perm job with the guarantee of 20.00 an hour plus after 2 years or 48 months as they put it... Anyone here have words of wisdom ???
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

#6443 Feb 13, 2013
Bama08, were you offered job by Comcast or a contractor? At&t job offer (wire tech salary) should be higher if you have any experience plus auto pay raises every six months till top pay is reached with some good bennies. Att provides training, tools, work truck, does Comcast do same or do have to provide tools and transport? Wire techs can be displaced (bumped) by surplus outside workers, no real advancement or long term future but looks good on resume, from quick search Comcast does not have pay or advancement options either view both as a job to gain experience but probably not a job you will have in five years. This economy hurts everyone, if you are young go to school, family man it will pay the bills, older worker enjoy the challenge.
Bama08

Mobile, AL

#6444 Feb 14, 2013
Milwaukee PT wrote:
Bama08, were you offered job by Comcast or a contractor? At&t job offer (wire tech salary) should be higher if you have any experience plus auto pay raises every six months till top pay is reached with some good bennies. Att provides training, tools, work truck, does Comcast do same or do have to provide tools and transport? Wire techs can be displaced (bumped) by surplus outside workers, no real advancement or long term future but looks good on resume, from quick search Comcast does not have pay or advancement options either view both as a job to gain experience but probably not a job you will have in five years. This economy hurts everyone, if you are young go to school, family man it will pay the bills, older worker enjoy the challenge.
It's for Comcast not as a contractor. They do provide training and a truck but ill be at 15 ish in two years with them and 20 with AT&T. I have to wait 91 days for Benefits to start but don't have to wait at ATT. By bump, you mean if someone else gets displaced I can be pushed out of the way so someone else still has a job ? Even though they said it was a Permanent position at AT&T
Bama08

United States

#6445 Feb 14, 2013
Bama08 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's for Comcast not as a contractor. They do provide training and a truck but ill be at 15 ish in two years with them and 20 with AT&T. I have to wait 91 days for Benefits to start but don't have to wait at ATT. By bump, you mean if someone else gets displaced I can be pushed out of the way so someone else still has a job ? Even though they said it was a Permanent position at AT&T
Didn't mean 2 years... I was thinking if something else. 4 years is 20 plus no matter what... Guess it all depends in top out pay... I took Cisco networking classes and have worked for FedEx for a while. I'm hoping for a career though not a 5 year plan...
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

#6446 Feb 14, 2013
So start pay and long term pay is better with att , I believe you have to wait 6 months for bennies (vac, sick days, insurance) due to probation period, term or temp position is for a specific time or job contract such as laying new cable while PT is full-time permanent the work force is union so layoffs in one area could mean senior tech could take jobs available please research CWA D3 att SE for details of current contract as I work in a different district some rules may be different, best to you and yours. I do believe the att offer is the better offer
Bama08

United States

#6447 Feb 14, 2013
Milwaukee PT wrote:
So start pay and long term pay is better with att , I believe you have to wait 6 months for bennies (vac, sick days, insurance) due to probation period, term or temp position is for a specific time or job contract such as laying new cable while PT is full-time permanent the work force is union so layoffs in one area could mean senior tech could take jobs available please research CWA D3 att SE for details of current contract as I work in a different district some rules may be different, best to you and yours. I do believe the att offer is the better offer
Thanks for the input. I asked the hr rep at Comcast and for a tech level 3 it's only 13 something an hour And that a tech 4 makes 14 an hour. I am going to try to call the cwa I actually live near the office could go by and just ask about job security. I have done some training with Comcast so maybe they will help in my starting rate for AT&T. AT&T seems to pay a lot better

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richardson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) 2 hr Whiny1 1,238
Helen fassauer 8 hr Missin you 1
Garland Soccer 14 hr Former Director 5
Congratulations Hilary! 19 hr Monica Lewinsky 13
andy griffith show is communist propaganda (Aug '07) 20 hr Gomer 86
News ICE Director Saldana faces protests at Dallas m... Tue wild child 1
John Wiley Price Mon Yep 2
More from around the web

Richardson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]