Bringing Back Bowie

Bringing Back Bowie

There are 15 comments on the El Paso Times story from Mar 2, 2008, titled Bringing Back Bowie. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

New Bowie High School Principal Jesus Chavez, center, greeted Bowie community members after a recent meeting at the South Side school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Jaime Herrera

El Paso, TX

#1 Mar 2, 2008
Give Bowie senior Crystal Castro a lot of credit. When she said "We have to bring up the school ourselves," she focused on the key to the solution. Education is really not so much about teaching - it is about learning. The State can throw all the resources in the world at the school, but, without the students' motivation as the nuclear reactor (so to speak), nothing will succeed. Where's the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation when you need it?
Miner

United States

#2 Mar 2, 2008
I like the suggestion that the children should learn English. What a novel idea! It's too bad that so many schools in El Paso and people decided that learning English was so unimportant.

What is wrong with parents who refuse to properly prepare their children for school -- it's sheer laziness that the parents don't teach children basic skills like English speaking, the colors, letters and so on. The problem is in the homes that don't value education.
a mom

Boise, ID

#3 Mar 2, 2008
Hey Miner, you can't teach what you don't know. Bowie is now home to so many people who don't speak English and who are struggling to provide food and a roof for the kids that they don't have the time to try to teach their kids anything. Bowie needs a principal who will get tough with the kids that are underachieving and get them the help that they need. Parents need to stop seeing any kind of remedial help as meaning their child is "stupid". Do whatever it takes to help your kid and Bowie to succeed.
Omar

United States

#4 Mar 2, 2008
I think that students @ Bowie High should visit other high schools like Mountain View and Clint or Fabens High in East El Paso to motivate them to do better in school. The impression that I happen to get out of kids attending Bowie High is that their low income family status and their inner city upbringing makes them feel that they somehow compete unfairly in any academic level with other schools in El Paso-hence their lack of motivation to obtain better grades. Most of the students attending this school are never exposed to other schools (like the ones I mentioned) were the students have equal or greater life challenges to face yet their test scores are far superior to Bowies. These students attending Bowie are or somehow want to be considered the most under priviledged kids in America (El Paso) and this causes them to not want to improve in their academic life-to be lazy in school in other words. I think that they should wake up and see that everybody in this world has problems and that these problems can only be alliviated if not entirely solved by obtaining a good education.
AngelKiss

El Paso, TX

#5 Mar 2, 2008
You people are dreaming. Bowie is beyond help. Stop wasting money.

send all irresponsible bowie parents and their welfare teens back to Juarez, where they belong.

Since: Feb 08

DFW Metroplex

#6 Mar 2, 2008
Omar wrote:
I think that students @ Bowie High should visit other high schools like Mountain View and Clint or Fabens High in East El Paso to motivate them to do better in school. The impression that I happen to get out of kids attending Bowie High is that their low income family status and their inner city upbringing makes them feel that they somehow compete unfairly in any academic level with other schools in El Paso-hence their lack of motivation to obtain better grades. Most of the students attending this school are never exposed to other schools (like the ones I mentioned) were the students have equal or greater life challenges to face yet their test scores are far superior to Bowies. These students attending Bowie are or somehow want to be considered the most under priviledged kids in America (El Paso) and this causes them to not want to improve in their academic life-to be lazy in school in other words. I think that they should wake up and see that everybody in this world has problems and that these problems can only be alliviated if not entirely solved by obtaining a good education.
Expectations are a huge influence. If teachers expect the kids to do badly, the kids will most likely do badly.
gregory

El Paso, TX

#7 Mar 2, 2008
Ok Angel Kiss, get a life, you aren't contributing with your ignorant rant.

The fact is that if Bowie kids don't do better soon they will be seeing the other high schools, they'll be attending them. All the talk of "closing" Bowie originate because of the relatively new law commonly referred to as "No Child Left Behind" That law requires schools where the kids fail to be closed. That does not mean the kids will not go to school. It means the tax payer will have to pay to have them sent to other "passing" schools. The "failing" school then can be reorganized or even handed over to a "private contractor" at our expense..... If Bowie students don't get their scores up they will be headed to Jeff, Austin, Burgess, etc. etc. Then the people you have the mistaken idea that the Bowie students are from Juarez will find out how wrong they are, that most of the students are American citizens. And we will continue to educate them, just at a greater expense. Look up the law before you respond to this post..... its better you understand the topic than just talk the same old ignorant trash..... Personal opinions are fine, just don't confuse opinion with fact.
Miner

United States

#8 Mar 2, 2008
a mom wrote:
Hey Miner, you can't teach what you don't know. Bowie is now home to so many people who don't speak English and who are struggling to provide food and a roof for the kids that they don't have the time to try to teach their kids anything. Bowie needs a principal who will get tough with the kids that are underachieving and get them the help that they need. Parents need to stop seeing any kind of remedial help as meaning their child is "stupid". Do whatever it takes to help your kid and Bowie to succeed.
Stop the excuses. Before people give birth, they must decide they are willing to bring up their children and educate them.

No one is asking these people to keep giving birth when they cannot afford their kids. Most in that part of the city don't seem to be working hard at all, most seem to be living off food stamps, WIC and everything else they get from the government.

There is no excuse to send a child to school completely unprepared. Children are not just for the purpose of collecting welfare handouts, but parents must start doing something for their children.

The children are doing poorly in school because the parents don't care enough to have them learning English before they reach school age, and the parents are too lazy to read to their children or make sure they do homework.

What's very pathetic is you often meet people from Juarez, educated in Juarez who speak English and make sure their children learn some.
Susanna

United States

#9 Mar 2, 2008
I knew a woman who was doing social work with the low performing students including Bowie which involved home visit and she said it was stunning what she saw. Homes with many children but not a single book, not a single pencil, or crayon. No newspapers, no magazines, not even educational toys. A big television of course.

There is no excuse for that. Even the poorest welfare mother can afford used books for her children to have around.
BOWIE BURRO

Brownsville, TX

#10 Mar 2, 2008
BOWIE BEARS HAHAHAHAHAH MORE LIKE BOWIE BURROS .
Dedicated to El Paso

San Antonio, TX

#11 Mar 2, 2008
Only in the USA would one consider children from Bowie as poor. From a global point of view, Bowie students are in the upper half of the world's wealth. Nonetheless, poverty is not an excuse for students not to learn. Bowie has great students with a committed alumni. They will not only survive, they will thrive!
BAD PARENTS

El Paso, TX

#12 Mar 2, 2008
Susanna wrote:
I knew a woman who was doing social work with the low performing students including Bowie which involved home visit and she said it was stunning what she saw. Homes with many children but not a single book, not a single pencil, or crayon. No newspapers, no magazines, not even educational toys. A big television of course.
There is no excuse for that. Even the poorest welfare mother can afford used books for her children to have around.
2 years from now, they'll have the same story in the Times, and the same posts on this website.

Bowie's been in this condition for 30 years and it ain't gonna change.

can't make Chicken salad out of chickensshitt
Bowie Chi Chi Raja

El Paso, TX

#13 Mar 2, 2008
Loser! You are a disgrace to all Bowie La Chi-Chi Rajas Chiquitas, past, present & future! Book Worm If you couldn't get a man & a baby at Bowie, you don't deserve a man & a baby.
Chucha, u can stick ya degree where the sun don't shine, us Bowie Bonitas Latinas make more off food stamps & welfare than you've made the past 6 years.
Book Worm i bet you wear thick glasses, ugly hair & fat. We @ Bowie ain't down wid all dat studying, tryin' to be all white 'n sh~it!

after you get yo Masters, look for us Bowie babes when you a doctor at Thomason delivering our welfare babies: we da fine hoochi-Mamas with the Bowie tattoos, long red nails, fine hair up-do's and piercings in our faces; tight halter tops & rhinestone tacones stilettos!
You'd pay 10,00 pesos for the Caliente Suavecito Rancheros Juaritos we play with every Saturday nite.
Hasta la Vista Baby!
Ricardo

United States

#14 Mar 2, 2008
It is very unfortunate that many students at Bowie are not making the grade. I personally think that any student at Bowie or any other school for that matter should be able to finish high school and continue on to college. It doesn,t matter if you are poor or live in the Segundo Barrio, what matters is that each student should APPLY his or herself to do the best. If a student is getting a free education, take advantage of it. Don't give up. I am a graduate from La Bowie, I lived on the Segundo Barrio, completed my education and I worked hard to obtained by Associates and when on to complete by Bachelors of Science Degree. Finally, to those students at La Bowie, I say to you don't give up, SI SE PUEDE.
LA Babe

El Paso, TX

#15 Feb 13, 2012
BOWIE BURRO wrote:
BOWIE BEARS HAHAHAHAHAH MORE LIKE BOWIE BURROS .
Whoever wrote this has no respect for anybody, including him/her self. This is why this world is like it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richardson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gas Worries Cause North Texans To Make Changes 27 min I P Standing 2
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 10 hr neighbor 2,424
News Statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee removed from Dalla... Sun John Wiley Price 6
Cowboys need less Thugs Sat Well Well 2
News Cancer patient says Dallas surgeon operated on ... Sat mad 1
Why Work Sep 22 Shayla 1
News Continue reading Richardson man takes stand in ... Sep 19 Don Edwards 1

Richardson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richardson Mortgages