Buying land in town, wondering about ...

Buying land in town, wondering about a few things...

Posted in the Rich Creek Forum

Mike

Richmond, VA

#1 Feb 5, 2012
So I'm getting almost an acre on Woodland Road. I really think this little town is about as close to paradise as I'll be getting any time soon. I'm looking forward to visiting you all out there and getting to know the area. I'd like to park a nice little travel trailer on my land and live there until I can save up enough to build a little house.

So here are my questions: Is there anyone that knows what the laws are regarding staying in a camper using propane for heat, fridge, and cooking? I'd plan on finding full-time work before moving out there.

The lot doesn't have power, but it's obviously nearby, looks like just across the street. Anyone have any guess as to what it would cost me to run power from across the street to my land? Ballpark figures are fine. I'm a pretty young guy who's never done any of this before so I have no idea what to expect. What are the building restrictions like? Pretty strict or what?

Hope you all will accept a city boy into your great community. Thanks for reading! Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Take care,
Mike
hello

Blacksburg, VA

#2 Feb 6, 2012
it is a nice little town and woodland road is as good as it gets. woodland is in town and they do have restrictions on building and such. I don't think you will be able to live in camper since they have ordinance that does not allow house trailors in town limits. check with Pam at town office to make sure.
Mike

Harrisonburg, VA

#3 Feb 6, 2012
Thanks a lot for your insight. I had actually emailed the town office last night about this very issue and Pam responded asking for some more particulars on the lot location. I expect to hear back from her in the next couple of days.

I wonder how expensive and difficult it would be to get permits and approval to build a small house? I was hoping to avoid that initially so that I could live in town while I saved. Oh well, I guess the town office would be the best place to find out about that too.

I saw that rent at Gateway apartments was listed as being around $450/month online. Is this accurate? I've called the office and left a message but not heard anything back as of today.

Thanks again for your input.
To Mike

Princeton, WV

#4 Feb 6, 2012
The gateway apartment are income based so it varies. But I think that the web site was correct, keep calling they usally only have someone in on certain days. Also you may want to contact real estate offices about houses and such they rent.
Mike

Richmond, VA

#5 Feb 6, 2012
Thanks very much, I'll start making some calls to some real estate agents I find online. If you have any that you might be able to suggest, that would be excellent too.

I got a response back from Pam who confirmed what you said about not allowing residence in trailers inside the city limits. So I guess I'm going to go about the "official" planning and permitting process. It's going to cost me more, but if I can find a nice little house to rent for a good price I'd be happy in the meantime. The legal hoops you have to jump through to build yourself a little cottage is pretty overwhelming to someone completely new to all of this as I am.

Anyway, Pam was a great help and very nice. Let's see how she handles all my new questions! Hahaha

It's been great talking with you. It's nice to see that there are civil, helpful people who use this forum as well! Not saying the gossipers are all bad, but holy cow, it's a little out of control over here!

I'm sure I'll have more questions for you in the future. Are you pretty familiar with Rich Creek? I might ask you random questions about the area in this thread if you'll spend some time to entertain them.

Happy to meet you!
Mike
Woodland resident

Oakvale, WV

#6 Feb 6, 2012
there is actually a house for rent on woodland, it is near the park and I think Kim Cook owns it. you can call the phone number for Cooks general contractors in Narrows Va.. she is a good land lady..
Mike

Richmond, VA

#7 Feb 7, 2012
I got in touch with chambers realty who said that houses for rent range from $350 to $450. Going to talk to someone who specializes in rentals to find out more about that. That's pretty affordable even with the low wage jobs that I've had. With all the businesses in the area, I'm bound to find work.

And hey, if any of the anonymous responders who have been so helpful to me would like to meet me for coffee or lunch or something that would be fun. I'll be taking a ride up there on my motorcycle when I have some free time and nice days in the forecast. I'll probably camp out at Gentrys Landing for a night or two so that I can get a feel for the place and try to find a job in town. So I'll be around if you want to chat it up for a while. I set up an email account specifically for you guys.

[email protected]

Really looking forward to coming down there from Richmond. I'll post something here when I nail down a date for the trip.

Thanks all!
hello

Blacksburg, VA

#8 Feb 7, 2012
u could just put a camper at gentry's and stay there. i dont know if they still do, but they have let people live there short term in the past.
Mike

Richmond, VA

#9 Feb 7, 2012
From the nightly rates I've seen online it seems like it would be cheaper to rent. I don't know if he has any longer-term deals available though, so I could be wrong about that. Maybe I will give their office a call.
Woodland resident

Oakvale, WV

#10 Feb 7, 2012
I think the campgorund at narrows is a lil cheaper. I do know they charge 800 per year up there or like 125 per month..

Mike

Richmond, VA

#11 Feb 13, 2012
Woodland resident wrote:
I think the campgorund at narrows is a lil cheaper. I do know they charge 800 per year up there or like 125 per month..
That's a hell of a lot cheaper than the campground by the river in Rich Creek. They want $350/month plus utilities. When I called Chambers Realty about house rental prices they said that $350-$450 was pretty standard per month. So thanks for letting me know about the Narrows campground, that's really helpful.

So I've got a few more questions for anyone willing to take a stab at answering them.

If there are any contractors reading, or anyone who knows one personally who has done excavation in the area (for foundations and sewer/water lines. The reason I ask is because I assume it costs extra if the county has to break up rocks that obstruct the line path and I was wondering how common it is to run into that issue. It's $1000 for sewer and water hookups and I'll need to know how much extra money I should have on hand in case they run into a bunch of rock or something. If you don't know but know of a contractor that has done work in the area, a phone number would be great.

My lot is all woods so I'm going to have to bring down some trees to build my house. Does anyone know if there are any mills nearby that will cut the trees into usable lumber nearby? I suppose I could always use it for firewood, worst case.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rich Creek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hahaha, its gone!! 2 hr Luke 4
Hardee's or McDonald's (Aug '15) 2 hr Luke 6
Courtney Snidow 2 hr Mik3 1
narrows grants girl 7 hr I seen her 2
Brick house 7 hr Christine 1
Convicted sex offenders in Giles County (Sep '15) Fri Happy Jack 22
Brooke mcneer Fri DoubtIt 8

Rich Creek Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance