Letters: Property taxes

Letters: Property taxes

There are 23 comments on the El Paso Times story from Oct 27, 2010, titled Letters: Property taxes. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Given all of the recent discussion of raising property taxes, I think the Central Appraisal District needs to assess the high-end homes appropriately.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Really Are you for Real

AOL

#1 Oct 27, 2010
The Central Appraisal District need to be investigated by an outside entity. You may have a point there...it appears that there may be some under the table dealings going on here...(not in El Paso, right). I think investigations should begin and indictments need to be issued.
We have been cheated by the Appraisal District for way to many years. It's time they pay.
Ted

El Paso, TX

#2 Oct 27, 2010
Really Are you for Real wrote:
The Central Appraisal District need to be investigated by an outside entity. You may have a point there...it appears that there may be some under the table dealings going on here...(not in El Paso, right). I think investigations should begin and indictments need to be issued.
We have been cheated by the Appraisal District for way to many years. It's time they pay.
I hear you on that. They've been bleeding me dry for years now. I ad to sell my condo in Corpus Christi last year to pay them off because with the economy in the toilet, it's been very hard to keep up with the payments on my Jag and my wife's BMW and I cut my daughter's tennis lessons down to three day a week.
Rick T

Austin, TX

#3 Oct 27, 2010
If this is true the names of the property owners should be identified by CAD and be held accountable for back taxes. That is unless there is some type of "special valuation practices" by CAD. This is truly why our forefathers placed "Freedom of the Press" as a foundation of our future government. El Paso Times, TV news...How about a comprehensive investigative expose....True or Not True.
SnB

El Paso, TX

#4 Oct 27, 2010
Thank you Greg Vera. And thank you sailors for your sacrifice. Too many times, this country, this city, fails to recognize the sacrifices made for us. Had our leaders recognized the USS Cole attack for what it was, another declaration of war, maybe 9/11 could have been averted. We somehow though, are content with sticking our heads in the sand. Rest in peace sailors and may our Lord comfort your families.
Bobby

El Paso, TX

#5 Oct 27, 2010
Edna - Do you really think drug cartels in Mexico care about (PTSD)?
lbgodines

Doha, Qatar

#6 Oct 27, 2010
Hey Edna! Why don't you go to Mexico and tell them.
We need to take care of our own country first.

I bet if the good US of A stopped giving money to mexico, stopped giving free medical care, food stamps, and schooling every year to their illegals in our country, calderon might get off his butt and do something.
time

El Paso, TX

#7 Oct 27, 2010
those kids with ptsd are going to school with your kids here in the US. They attend all of the school districts in El Paso. So the solution has been to not pass the TRE at EPISD and cut funding in other districts. The school needs more cash to educate the refugees and or moochers who have come across.
The hurricane katrina victims got extra funding so their ptsd needs could be addressed but not kids from mexico. So much for our caring slick rick Perry in austin, and the Prez in washington dc.
palo alto

El Paso, TX

#8 Oct 27, 2010
Dear Edna,

Can you please set up a meeting with ALL the members of the drug cartels (including both feuding factions and their many hired sicarios) so that you can let them know that the children of Juarez are suffering from PTSD because of their nasty behavior.

Let them know that if they continue on this course of action that there will also be no more milk and cookies for them at your next tea party.

Lady, what world are you living in?
MEC

El Paso, TX

#9 Oct 27, 2010
Larry...speaking of the Asarco smokestack preservation you wrote "for what the next generations will have to enjoy." You're out of touch and hanging on to the past sir. Never have I enjoyed the smokestack in all my years. Much less will the younger generations.$14 MILLION for a smokestack no longer in use...think, sir. think.
CAD BAD

United States

#10 Oct 27, 2010
Good letter Victor. I do live on the West side of the city but live in a home that is assessed at $200,000 that would only sell for about $160K (neighborhood comps) that the CAD refuses to honor. I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes but also feel abused by the El Paso (free donuts and coffee) CAD. Yet when I look up in the hills where all the high paid government officials live, you know, those that get paid from tax dollars, I often hear stories about how little taxes they pay on their very large homes.

El Paso, TAXES is dirty and has been for years. The FBI after several years of investigation is just getting started with the people that make the laws to protect their corrupt society.

United States

#11 Oct 27, 2010
Hey Larry Nance. El Paso also has one of the poorest cities in the nation. Does that mean we should also maintian that unfortunate distinction? Just becuase we lead in something notorious doesn't mean we have to keep it. Tear down that damn smokestack!
Cut Property Taxes

El Paso, TX

#12 Oct 27, 2010
ALL PROPERTY TAXES MUST BE CUT!

Property taxes are out of control in El Paso.
True

El Paso, TX

#13 Oct 27, 2010
Some CAD employees seem to think a 2+ hour lunch at their home on taxpayer time is fine.
Market the Violence

El Paso, TX

#14 Oct 27, 2010
In order to increase tourism dollars in El Paso I think that it would be a could idea to market the violence in Juarez.

We market a special tourist trip into Juarez, send them in armored plated cars at say $100 per hour in hopes of them actually catching some of the viloence first hand.

I'm sure that there are plenty of blood thirsty people (a huge market) out there who would just be dying (no pun intended) to see people being shot at and body parts being picked off the ground.
Ex El Paso res

Las Cruces, NM

#15 Oct 27, 2010
Maybe a good exercise on this would be to see what Cook, Willson, City Council members, County court commisioners, Silvester Reyes and some other "selected" folks have for an "appraisal' on their homes.

It may relate to location AND/OR position!!
Pepe

Doha, Qatar

#16 Oct 27, 2010
lbgodines wrote: "Hey Edna! Why don't you go to Mexico and tell them.
We need to take care of our own country first.

I bet if the good US of A stopped giving money to mexico, stopped giving free medical care, food stamps, and schooling every year to their illegals in our country, calderon might get off his butt and do something."
She is absolutely right in pointing the obvious. Her view might be expanded a little to include 'ALL OF THE DOPERS WE HAVE IN THE USA as our consumption is what feeds the situation. PTSD is as real to those children and people. As for taking care of our own first, I Agree... let's spend some money on Prevention, penalize glorification of drug use, find the big shots within our own lines who benefit from the trade and the violence it generates. Capitalism is a great thing, I for one Love it, but there has to be some moral balance. Drugs - Guns - Body bags - burials make a lot of money, as do Jails, police forces etc. Work on reducing consumption, demonize those who use drugs rather than giving them a platform, be it music, comedy and god forbid Politics.. we may see some changes.
Pepe

Doha, Qatar

#17 Oct 27, 2010
Should have read "GOD" I apologise for my blasphemy
Get Real

El Paso, TX

#18 Oct 27, 2010
time wrote:
those kids with ptsd are going to school with your kids here in the US. They attend all of the school districts in El Paso. So the solution has been to not pass the TRE at EPISD and cut funding in other districts. The school needs more cash to educate the refugees and or moochers who have come across.
The hurricane katrina victims got extra funding so their ptsd needs could be addressed but not kids from mexico. So much for our caring slick rick Perry in austin, and the Prez in washington dc.
If those kids are going to school here in El Paso as you claim they are getting a free education, free meals 2 times a day and free counseling..IF......the guardian seeks it.

Right now the biggest problem here is not the PTSD among the children in Juarez and as pitifully sad as that is, it not the duty of the USA to go provide them with the help they will need.

1. The USA is not the policeman for the world. We are in a major economic recession and our FIRST duty is to the citizens of the USA.

2. Mexico has not requested any help from the USA beyound some weapons and a whole heck of a lot of money.......both of which have wound up in corrupt hands.

3. Mexico needs to allow guns in the hands of the citizens so that they can defend themselves since the corrupt government sure isn't trying to do the job.

4. Mexico needs to institute a death penalty.......now that Mexico is no longer recognizing the Catholic Church as the only LEGAL religion tha death penalty could be voted in by the citizens and swift punishment in taking the drug lords off of the streets would be more effective than the UN sending peacekeepers.

Mexico is not safe or free as long as the citizens cannot protect themselves other than by running to the USA and sneaking across the borders. Mexico will never be free as long as the citizens are unable to control the corruption and greed among it's government from the pueblos to the Paiz, It will never be free as long as the citizens sit on their butts and do not resist.

Get Real

El Paso, TX

#19 Oct 27, 2010
Cut Property Taxes wrote:
ALL PROPERTY TAXES MUST BE CUT!
Property taxes are out of control in El Paso.
the dirty little words that will cut property taxes are known as "Income Tax" and God Forbid that some multi-billionaire in Dallas, Austin or Houston have to pay any income tax to the state he is hiding in........to avoid them. Tx does not have any STATE income tax and before the idiots come out in force to claim they are paying plenty in income they need to be aware that it is a Federal Income Tax they are paying and every citizen living in the USA pays that. In all but about 7 states there is a State Income Tax (which is usually deductible off the Federal Tax) and in States with income tax there is usually a municipality tax as well......eventually the local and state taxes come off the federal taxes and it works out to what TX has now but since the money stays within the state and never gets to the federal hands it can do more good for the residents of the state........such as keeping roads in good repair, financing the education fund, and funding the hospitals that provide the care to the indigent.

TX just lets it all go to the USA and whines about not getting it's share fair of funding back.......it does not help the property owners who pay ever rising taxes on property that is in such sad repair that demolition would be the wisest move but it helps corporations who own those shopping malls, apartment complexes, hotels and motels because they can write them off their Federal income taxes as Capitol losses and can also write off the cost of repairs........ever wonder how the local "slum lords" like Abraham got so rich? They buy cheap, do few repairs and write the whole thing off as a loss because the CAD raises the appraisal resulting in higher property taxes which they don't pay anyway!
JDC

El Paso, TX

#20 Oct 27, 2010
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
The USA is not the policeman for the world.
We shouldn't be, but we act as one. We spend more on defense than the next 10 nations..combined. Being an Internationalist costs us $1 trillion a year. i.e., the estimated combined budgets for the Pentagon, two wars, foreign aid to allies (Saddam and Bin Laden used to be allies), 16 intelligence agencies, scores of thousands of contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan, heavily protected embassies, 716 US bases in 38 countries and US troops in 148 countries. Being an internationalist mean you are borrowing hundreds of billions of dollars from the Europeans, Japanese and Gulf states to defend the very same regions. Being an internationalist means you are slowly but surely turning a free and prosperous nation into a “Debtor’s Paradise.”

I am still waiting for our exit strategy from WWII that was won 65 years ago, but we STILL have tens of thousand of troops in Japan and Germany, two countries that are stable. That should give you an idea of how long our troops will be in Iraq and Afghanistan, two nations that are not stable.

I just wish we protected our border as well as we do South Korea's border.

We are the policemen of the world, financed by our children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mildred Superintendent Aug 20 Blue sky 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Aug 17 District farts 977
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Aug 15 More farts 790
Debate: Trayvon Martin - Corsicana, TX (Mar '12) Aug 11 Elmar 8
Debate: Marijuana - Corsicana, TX (Aug '10) Aug 6 Oneta weibel 53
Ennis Music Thread (Oct '13) Aug 3 Musikologist 7
News Alvin teens lead battle over Confederate flag (Oct '06) Jul '15 Uber-Bro of the U... 79
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rice Mortgages