Puerto Rican Day Parade expected to be largest ever

Full story: AMNY 139
Get ready to party New York City! Fifth Avenue will be festooned with Puerto Rican flags and rocked by salsa beats on Sunday when the 51st National Puerto Rican Parade gets rolling. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
HairyGuy

Pacoima, CA

#124 Jul 17, 2008
R Rivera wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Holy Roller here too. During that time, I was a teenager AND my brother was the PASTOR! Argh! No desire to go back. I do miss the music. I grew up in Bakersfield and we would have our conventions there in Anaheim during Thanksgiving week.
The postings are very interesting and they do put you to wonder...
I read one of your postings a few months ago, where you mentioned Kahlil Gibran. I was at work and saved it to my favorites. The other day I tried opening the page and wasn't able to. But I do want to go back and read it.
Have a good day!
RR: Wow, small world!!

That strict religious background of PR Pentecostal must have help my parents survive the transition from PR to NYC and the assimilation process.
As for me it was awful because I knew the reality of the world outside the church; the world of NYC.
I will never regress to such an ignorant, judgmental and extremely emotional form of relationship to God.

I however also do miss the music.
I still enjoy Gospel and the old school Spanish hymns. Makes me want to move.

RR: Go out and buy the "Prophet" or get it on line. It's not expensive. I guarantee you will be fascinated by Gibran's writings. He was an amazing man of Lebanese origin.

Peace..........HG
HairyGuy

Pacoima, CA

#125 Jul 20, 2008
R Rivera wrote:
<quoted text>
!
**HG Guide to Dining Out.**
----------
I think when you eat out you should have a little
fun; it's good for digestion. Simple things!

After a waiter recites a long list of specials, ask him if they serve cow feet.
Issue special instructions. Ask for the French toast, medium rare. Get a pizza with no toppings, hold the crust.

Tell 'em you want eggs: " Fry the whites and poach the yolks." Order a basket of poppy seed rolls and tell them to scrape off the seeds and put them in a separate bowl and heat them to 200 degrees. Keep them busy.

Tell your waiter you want to make a substitution: " Instead of my napkin, I'll have the lobster tails.' See what he says. Ask him if the garnish is free. If it is, tell him all you're having is a large plate of garnish.

Giving your waiter your drink order can be fun. If you're alone, show the guy you're a real man. " Gimme a glass of napalm and paint thinner straight up."

Be individualist; order a gin and hot chocolate.

If you're with a date, be sophisticated. Say, " I'll have a rum and goat juice with a twist of cucumber on dry ice."

Always order your date's drink; that's very romantic. Especially if you're trying to get laid. " The lady will have a martini, a glass of wine, two zombies, and a beer. And do you have any Quaaludes?

When the food arrives, change your mind. Say, "I've changes my mind, waiter. Instead of the roast suckling pig, I believe I'll have a half order of Kellogg's Product 19."

(Above were courtesy of the Late Great George Carlin.)
HairyGuy

Pacoima, CA

#126 Jul 26, 2008
EVERYONE: Please watch this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch ...

This is Amazing. Please send this everywhere!

"From the mouth of Babes"
Chai

Las Vegas, NV

#127 Jul 26, 2008
Fed up wrote:
<quoted text>
You're proud of your people because there was no violence? Wow, in my culture violence isn't such a problem that we have to be proud when it doesn't happen.
That being said, I'm glad that this year was a substantial improvement on last year's event, in terms of aggression and violence. I'm glad that people were able to have fun without their day being ruined by dirtbags.
Well this post and some of the other negative posts are pretty much out of line, as primal behavior can't be placed on any specific culture or group. Anytime you have an event as big as this no matter where in the country or the world these things can happen. Anytime there is a baseball, soccer or football game eruptions such as some of the ones spoken about here can happen so why just be specific to any one group.
sal

Valrico, FL

#128 Jul 26, 2008
boricua de pura sepa!
HairyGuy

Pacoima, CA

#129 Jul 27, 2008
p aguinaldo

Columbia, MO

#132 Sep 23, 2008
It was wonderful! puertoricoonly.com says it all, baby!!!
charlene wrote:
Its not on Saturday. Its Always the second Sunday in June, which is Sunday, June 8th. The 116th Street Festival is on Saturday, June 7th.
HairyGuy

Canoga Park, CA

#133 Sep 24, 2008
Saludos MI Gente,

Por favor mira este video corto. Es muy bonito.

It won the Cannes film festival award for short films.

http://www.adnstream.tv/video/nilSqaMboM/HIST...
Hostosiano del MINH

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#134 Sep 25, 2008
HairyGuy wrote:
Saludos MI Gente,
Por favor mira este video corto. Es muy bonito.
It won the Cannes film festival award for short films.
http://www.adnstream.tv/video/nilSqaMboM/HIST...
Habra ganado el premio: Video Mas Bonito?
Puerto Rico Only

United States

#135 May 9, 2009
Como lo dijiste; "que alegria!" Mi sangre corre como un motor rolls royce por orgullo de mi gente. Quien penso'! Nuestra familia Garcia fuimos de los primeros alcaldes, que siga el regocijo de todo Puertorriqueno!

www.puertoricoonly.com

Inspiracion para el alma; www.geocities.com/poderdejesus
bklyn

Greenwich, CT

#136 Jun 14, 2009
Would you let your 16 year old Daughter go with her Girlfriend
bklyn

Greenwich, CT

#137 Jun 14, 2009
would you let your 16 year old Daughter Go with her girlfriend alone?
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#138 Jun 14, 2009
bklyn wrote:
Would you let your 16 year old Daughter go with her Girlfriend
Yes. If I don't trust my own daughter and her judgement that says a lot about my own parenting skills.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#139 Jun 14, 2009
I wonder if Millito and his "oxens" carry a message? About how backwards is Puerto Rico and how it doesn't deserve to be a state....

I don't trust these "populares" and their hidden agendas.

Why not wait until Puerto Rico becomes a permanent member of the Hispanic, Black and Caucasian U.S.A. in order to "revive" gone days of the jíbaros...

Now, these organizers ought to be celebrating Justice Sotomayor's or Acaba's journey with some motive along those lines, in order for all Americans of Puerto Rican extraction to be proud of their contributions to the nation.

Oxes-what's next, celebrate the colony's "tiempo muerto's" hunger after the zafra...That's why so many of us migrated there in the first place.

Jorge

Since: Jun 08

Plantation

#140 Jun 14, 2009
Embarrassed Boricua

Longville, MN

#141 Dec 24, 2010
Imperialism wrote:
Wait what culture would that be? I mean I know your not talking about Anglo Saxons? Becuase our people are actually peaceful. Look at our history and who we are. It was the Spaniards who where Barbarians and it was the White people who are savages. Our culture and history was beyond its time. It is capatitlism that makes human kind savages. So wait what part of our culture and your culture are YOU talking about. Where you live at? So i can stick it to you.
Goes to show you, MOST NY Boricuas don't have a clue about their ethnicity or heritage. First of all, we are NOT a race, but an ethnicity, which is what I keep reading from "boricuas". Second, the Spaniards were barbarians (who were White Europeans), but they are also part of our heritage. Boricuas HAVE Spanish blood (as well as Indian and African). And you say whites are savages yet you threaten someone with "sticking it" to them? Shows you how embarrassed I am to be a Boricua, when most of the Bronx Boricuas I grew up around were low class trash and loud mouthed. Very few were decent and classy like my family and extended family. We were model examples of true Boricuas, like the ones on the island. The Newyoricans from NY are trash, most of them are and to say not, is to be in denial and part of that trash that embraces trash.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#142 Dec 25, 2010
Embarrassed Boricua wrote:
<quoted text>
Goes to show you, MOST NY Boricuas don't have a clue about their ethnicity or heritage. First of all, we are NOT a race, but an ethnicity, which is what I keep reading from "boricuas". Second, the Spaniards were barbarians (who were White Europeans), but they are also part of our heritage. Boricuas HAVE Spanish blood (as well as Indian and African). And you say whites are savages yet you threaten someone with "sticking it" to them? Shows you how embarrassed I am to be a Boricua, when most of the Bronx Boricuas I grew up around were low class trash and loud mouthed. Very few were decent and classy like my family and extended family. We were model examples of true Boricuas, like the ones on the island. The Newyoricans from NY are trash, most of them are and to say not, is to be in denial and part of that trash that embraces trash.
For starters, if Puerto Rico were Spanish (that is, if we were still a Spanish province, not a US colony); Puerto Ricans would still:

1) have the family farm that belonged to their ancestors (upon arriving from Spain). There were almost a million farms around our island, mostly each family had a piece of land.

Once the US invaded, we (Puerto Ricans) had to finance their invasion; which was done by having our lifetime savings wiped out by the new currency; the impositions of huge taxes (by the US military govt.) thereby forcing small farmers to loose their lands; in order for big sugar corporations to start their massive buyouts (which in turn force our dispossesed "jíbaros" to migrate to San Juan-starting the huge peripherical slums-and eventually the Puerto Rican migration to Eastern states).

The "Newyorican" tourism (i.e. from stateside boricuas) leaves over $5 billion dols. to our island economy (our 6th industry).

We welcome and depend on the so called "Newyoricans" to survive.

So, instead of badmouthing our people, why don't you help them to improve their lives?

Follow the examples of Jewish, Cuban, Mexican, Italian and so many other migratory waves.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#143 Dec 25, 2010
2) If Puerto Rico were (still) Spanish; some Puerto Ricans wouldn't feel as an "ethnicity". We, Puerto Ricans, were full blooded human beings (when we were Spain). It was that damn "melting pot" which reduces each and everyone of its citizens into (either) majorities, minorities, ethnicities and everything but full HUMAN BEINGS.

Refuse to live your life as "part of a group"...

Be a complete HUMAN BEING (and celebrate whatever you need to: be that your heritage, sexual orientation, marital status, kids, etc....).

If you choose to believe that you ARE a Puerto Rican, a Christian, a heterosexual, a woman, a man, a homosexual, etc. You let a definition run your life and people will hold you to it.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#144 Dec 25, 2010
3) You ARE a HUMAN BEING (who practices a faith, sleeps with whomever, has X number of kids; etc.).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
18 Y/o Thomas Bearson DOA By Associations ?? Sep '14 Air_Force1 1
Little Falls: Fund established for families of ... (Dec '12) Apr '14 UNKNOWN NAME 4
360 Chiropractic generates free services throug... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Chiropractor From... 6
Frozen pipes create struggle for St. Cloud-area... (Feb '14) Mar '14 Sammy 2
Not just for women -- more men care for skin (Feb '13) Feb '14 Sitting on my wif... 3
St. Cloud police lieutenant to run for Morrison... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Jenny Dulude 1
St. Cloud assistant among candidates for Sartel... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Dustin 1
Rice Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Rice People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:22 pm PST

ESPN 1:22PM
Matthews fined $22K for block on QB Wilson
Yahoo! Sports 1:24 PM
What trick will Belichick pull from his hoodie sleeve next?
Bleacher Report 6:54 PM
Why Vikings Must Draft CB Quinten Rollins
Bleacher Report 5:47 AM
Dez Must Top Vikings' FA Wish List
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out