Sound Off (Sept. 28)

Sound Off (Sept. 28)

There are 48 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Sep 28, 2008, titled Sound Off (Sept. 28). In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Red light cameras are a cash cow for cities, they are not effective for preventing accidents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

RightOumNO

Las Cruces, NM

#21 Sep 28, 2008
&fe ature=related
the radio interview

“I have nothing to say . . .”

Since: Sep 08

Las Cruces, NM

#22 Sep 28, 2008
Truly Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Disgusted, Are you talking to yourself again? You Republicans controlled Congress from 1994 to 2006 and the White House from 2000 to 2008. YOU Republicans wrecked our economy, wrecked our military, wrecked the housing market, wrecked Wall Street and wrecked our Constitution.
Something we might want to add here, that our Repubican friends are neglecting when ranting about the current Congress, is that while the Democrats hold a majority in both houses, they are unable---as a consequence of out of control partisanship regardless the quality of a bill---to come up with the votes to override the Executive Branch veto ... unless, of course, the Republicans see the breaking of the veto as politically expedient for them.

What we need is NOT bi-partisan efforts, we need NON-partisan efforts to overwhelm the Executive Branch. Our rights and our health and our safety should NOT be politicized. They should be a common interest among all members of congress. Instead we get an Executive Branch who believes they can run roughshod over all of those things with impugnity.

It is time to throw the bums out.
Fed Up

United States

#23 Sep 28, 2008
NJBRED wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee you all love Barack Hussein Obama unless of course you're his step-brother.......... Now research that!
You sound like all the ignorant jerks in this country

Since: Jun 08

Saint Paul, MN

#24 Sep 28, 2008
Grace wrote:
McCain would continue down the same path that has nearly brought America to her knees!
Nonsense. If you want to see America on her knees, vote for Obama. Biden said he will vote for McCain.

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Sep 28, 2008
Fed Up wrote:
<quoted text>
"Our" congress has only been in charge for the last couple years, and it's had a hell of a time fixing the mess YOUR congress left us. You high and mighty Republicans make me so mad. You're the reason we're in this mess. Think before you talk.
Remember the Democrats said, "elect us and we will have change".

Didn't happen. Now Obama says we have the greatest nation on earth and we have to change it.

Saint Paul, MN

#26 Sep 28, 2008
Dsyc wrote:
Breastfeeding should not be done in public. If so I am going to show my breat in public!
Breastfeeding is natural and can be done very modestly. A women should choose a quiet place, if possible to nurse her child.

So you are going to show your 'breat' in public. I don't think I ever saw a 'breat'. Do all women have it/them? Are you going to advertise when you are going to display?
RAP

Albuquerque, NM

#27 Sep 28, 2008
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, dummy, study how your government works before you open your dumb mouth. It is your Congress you can thank for the state of the economy. Why do you even comment when you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.
Your mother would be ashamed of the way you talk to people...She's the one with the right to be disgusted.

Saint Paul, MN

#28 Sep 28, 2008
Judas wrote:
You have GOT to be kidding me, "Laura." McCain constantly didn't let Obama talk, talked over him, etc. during the debate. Obama was the much more polite and presidential of the two, whereas McCain acted like the impetuous troll that he is.
It is amazing that when two people watch a debate, that they see different results. Makes for a lot of conversation.

Saying McCain "acted like the impetuous troll that he is" is reason to overlook your offensive Obama. Both candidates interrupted each other.

My version - McCain answer more clearly the questions that was asked whereas I am still waiting for Obama to answer the question of how he is going to pay for the 700 billion.

Only a few more weeks and the con artist can go back and vote "present' on the issues.

Saint Paul, MN

#29 Sep 28, 2008
Truly Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Disgusted, Are you talking to yourself again? You Republicans controlled Congress from 1994 to 2006 and the White House from 2000 to 2008. YOU Republicans wrecked our economy, wrecked our military, wrecked the housing market, wrecked Wall Street and wrecked our Constitution.
You both sound like Pelosi and Reid.

Saint Paul, MN

#30 Sep 28, 2008
NJBRED wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee you all love Barack Hussein Obama unless of course you're his step-brother.......... Now research that!
I heard that his step brother George is going national in opposing Obama. Has anyone else got information on this.

Saint Paul, MN

#31 Sep 28, 2008
The Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>

If you mean all members of Congress, I am with you.

This is one reason why Governor Palin looks good. Not a member of the Washington crowd.
Christian Sarmiento

Las Cruces, NM

#32 Sep 28, 2008
Dear Members of the Senate Armed Services Committee(except Carl Levin),
On Capitol Hill, Thursday September 25, 2008, the Senate Armed Services Committee convened a hearing on the treatment of prisoners in US custody in Iraq, Afghanistan and at Guantanamo Bay. Democratic Senator and Armed Services Committee Chair Carl Levin was the only senator to attend the hearing.
My questions to you are: Why did you, as a member, not attend the hearing? Did you not want to hear how Iraq veteran Colonel Steven Kleinman testified he witnessed deliberate “punishment” against Iraqi prisoners such as forced nudity, sleep deprivation, and painful shackling, in which they were all used to punish those who wouldn’t cooperate with US interrogators? Did you not want to hear how Kleinman witnessed a prisoner being beaten across the face repeatedly with every response he gave to the interrogators questions and when Kleinman tried to stop it, the interrogators were baffled by it?
These are some of the same techniques taught in a Pentagon program to prepare US service members for what they could possible face under foreign captors who don’t respect the Geneva Conventions. Why are we treating war prisoners like a country who doesn’t respect the Geneva Conventions?
How did we get here as the United States of America? Could it be the president who has led us to an unpopular war that some say was illegal without the UN Security Council’s approval? Could it be the Senators and Congressman who DON’T SHOW UP TO hearings, who don’t read legislation fully, and who respect their party’s wishes as well as lobbyists but not their constituents? Or could it be the people of the United States of America who have let their voices go unheard? Those who have grown with cynicism instead of activism? Those who only pay attention to national elections and national participation in politics but not local elections and local participation in politics?
So next time, please don’t let one Senator be the only one attending a serious hearing such as the torturing of prisoners. Please make sure the government, the government leaders, and the people abide by the Constitution. Please listen to the people and represent the people. Please.

Sincerely,
Christian Sarmiento
Constituent of Las Cruces, NM, USA.
Christian Sarmiento

Las Cruces, NM

#33 Sep 28, 2008
On Capitol Hill, Thursday September 25, 2008, the Senate Armed Services Committee convened a hearing on the treatment of prisoners in US custody in Iraq, Afghanistan and at Guantanamo Bay. Democratic Senator and Armed Services Committee Chair Carl Levin was the only senator to attend the hearing.
My questions to you are: Why did you, as a member, not attend the hearing? Did you not want to hear how Iraq veteran Colonel Steven Kleinman testified he witnessed deliberate punishment against Iraqi prisoners such as forced nudity, sleep deprivation, and painful shackling, in which they were all used to punish those who wouldnt cooperate with US interrogators? Did you not want to hear how Kleinman witnessed a prisoner being beaten across the face repeatedly with every response he gave to the interrogators questions and when Kleinman tried to stop it, the interrogators were baffled by it?
These are some of the same techniques taught in a Pentagon program to prepare US service members for what they could possible face under foreign captors who dont respect the Geneva Conventions. Why are we treating war prisoners like a country who doesnt respect the Geneva Conventions?
How did we get here as the United States of America? Could it be the president who has led us to an unpopular war that some say was illegal without the UN Security Councils approval? Could it be the Senators and Congressman who DONT SHOW UP TO hearings, who dont read legislation fully, and who respect their partys wishes as well as lobbyists but not their constituents? Or could it be the people of the United States of America who have let their voices go unheard? Those who have grown with cynicism instead of activism? Those who only pay attention to national elections and national participation in politics but not local elections and local participation in politics?
So next time, please dont let one Senator be the only one attending a serious hearing such as the torturing of prisoners. Please make sure the government, the government leaders, and the people abide by the Constitution. Please listen to the people and represent the people. Please.

Sincerely,
Christian Sarmiento
Christian Sarmiento

Las Cruces, NM

#34 Sep 28, 2008
My questions to you are: Why did you, as a member, not attend the hearing? Did you not want to hear how Iraq veteran Colonel Steven Kleinman testified he witnessed deliberate “punishment” against Iraqi prisoners such as forced nudity, sleep deprivation, and painful shackling, in which they were all used to punish those who wouldn’t cooperate with US interrogators? Did you not want to hear how Kleinman witnessed a prisoner being beaten across the face repeatedly with every response he gave to the interrogators questions and when Kleinman tried to stop it, the interrogators were baffled by it?
These are some of the same techniques taught in a Pentagon program to prepare US service members for what they could possible face under foreign captors who don’t respect the Geneva Conventions. Why are we treating war prisoners like a country who doesn’t respect the Geneva Conventions?
How did we get here as the United States of America? Could it be the president who has led us to an unpopular war that some say was illegal without the UN Security Council’s approval? Could it be the Senators and Congressman who DON’T SHOW UP TO hearings, who don’t read legislation fully, and who respect their party’s wishes as well as lobbyists but not their constituents? Or could it be the people of the United States of America who have let their voices go unheard? Those who have grown with cynicism instead of activism? Those who only pay attention to national elections and national participation in politics but not local elections and local participation in politics?
So next time, please don’t let one Senator be the only one attending a serious hearing such as the torturing of prisoners. Please make sure the government, the government leaders, and the people abide by the Constitution. Please listen to the people and represent the people. Please.

Sincerely,
Christian Sarmiento

Members of the Senate Armed Services Committee:
DEMOCRATS
Carl Levin (Michigan)
Chairman
Edward M. Kennedy (Massachusetts)
Robert C. Byrd (West Virginia)
Joseph I. Lieberman (Connecticut)
Jack Reed (Rhode Island)
Daniel K. Akaka (Hawaii)
Bill Nelson (Florida)
E. Benjamin Nelson (Nebraska)
Evan Bayh (Indiana)
Hillary Rodham Clinton (New York)
Mark L. Pryor (Arkansas)
Jim Webb (Virginia)
Claire McCaskill (Missouri)
REPUBLICANS
John McCain (Arizona)
Ranking Member
John W. Warner (Virginia)
James M. Inhofe (Oklahoma)
Jeff Sessions (Alabama)
Susan M. Collins (Maine)
Saxby Chambliss (Georgia)
Lindsey O. Graham (South Carolina)
Elizabeth Dole (North Carolina)
John Cornyn (Texas)
John Thune (South Dakota)
Mel Martinez (Florida)
Roger F. Wicker (Mississippi)

“I Put the "B" in ITCH!!”

Wood-Ridge, NJ

#35 Sep 29, 2008
Fed Up wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like all the ignorant jerks in this country
Explain yourself, that comment was not ignorant.

Wood-Ridge, NJ

#36 Sep 29, 2008
Thomas F Schraad wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard that his step brother George is going national in opposing Obama. Has anyone else got information on this.
I haven't heard that. I'll tell you one thing though, he should be ashamed that he talks of "taking care" of the middle class and here in his own family he can't help his own step brother. Not a man I can trust.

Wood-Ridge, NJ

#37 Sep 29, 2008
Christian Sarmiento wrote:
Sincerely,
Christian Sarmiento
Did you write this same type of letter when some of our own soldiers and American citizens have been beheaded and tortured by the likes of our enemies?
citizen

Las Cruces, NM

#38 Sep 29, 2008
The Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Something we might want to add here, that our Repubican friends are neglecting when ranting about the current Congress, is that while the Democrats hold a majority in both houses, they are unable---as a consequence of out of control partisanship regardless the quality of a bill---to come up with the votes to override the Executive Branch veto ... unless, of course, the Republicans see the breaking of the veto as politically expedient for them.
What we need is NOT bi-partisan efforts, we need NON-partisan efforts to overwhelm the Executive Branch. Our rights and our health and our safety should NOT be politicized. They should be a common interest among all members of congress. Instead we get an Executive Branch who believes they can run roughshod over all of those things with impugnity.
Well Nancy and Harry have the votes to get this 700B welfare bill for wallstreet passed with George's support.
So why didn't they vote and pass it? Could it be that they know it is a failed plan and want Republicans to have their names on it so they can be blamed for it.
Tired of Stupids

Albuquerque, NM

#39 Sep 29, 2008
"Red light cameras are a cash cow for cities, they are not effective for preventing accidents. Check the statistics in El Paso — the most common violation is for rolling through a right on red. These are not the type of violations that cause deadly accidents."

Same as so-called 'speeding tickets', which do nothing to prevent so-called accidents whatsoever. Most accidents are caused by driver incompetence or inattention. If they are speeding at the same time, it is still not the cause. If she had not been trying to send a text message, she would not have run into the other vehicle. Speed is irrelevant.

Ticket morons for not using turn signals, it causes accidents.

Ticket morons for turning into the wrong lane, it causes accidents.

Ticket morons for throwing cigarettes out the window. It is littering, which is completely inexcusable, and causes hundreds of times more fires than any fireworks ever have.
Jesus

Albuquerque, NM

#40 Sep 29, 2008
Fed Up wrote:
<quoted text>
"Our" congress has only been in charge for the last couple years, and it's had a hell of a time fixing the mess YOUR congress left us. You high and mighty Republicans make me so mad. You're the reason we're in this mess. Think before you talk.
I am so sorry the rest of you have to deal with the dumbest ones my Father created, but they do give you something to laugh at, don't they? She asks you to think when she clearly cannot. How sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Reserve Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bulls bring top riders to Wild, Wild West Pro R... Jun '15 I love the southwest 1
News NM, Arizona senators on wildfire tour (Jun '14) Jun '14 Mary 1
News 1,200 firefighters battle record New Mexico blaze (Jun '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 6
News Smoke shifts directions from Gila fire (May '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 5
News Only two utilize Red Cross services (Jun '11) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 5
News Record-Setting N.M. Fire Expected to Burn for W... (Jun '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 2
News Locals among 19 county manager candidates (Sep '11) Sep '11 yucko 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Reserve Mortgages