Catron County man loses another round in ban on smoking

Full story: The Santa Fe New Mexican

Stephen Brown was so opposed to New Mexico's ban on smoking in public places that he got himself cited for lighting up in a Catron County bar just minutes after the new law took effect.
Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Sep 26, 2008
kayceygirl

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Why do people feel the need to file wasteful law suits, fight against laws that are in the good of the "people"? Wouldn't his efforts be better focused on outrage over children not having food in this country or the struggles of illegal immigrants in America who actually came here to work or even Mad Cow Disease?

Sheesh...I am constantly amnazed at the stupidity of people.
mr common sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Discrimination against smokers or anybody else is legal so long as it is not based on age,sex,race,religion or national origin.
georgia

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

yes they should ban smooking in all public place the reason is beacuse all so some people also put other types of tabaco or other substance in smoking forme be aware and also other reasons
PlacitasRoy

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Brown contends the law discriminates against smokers, effectively making them "second-class citizens."
It isn't the law - they have made themselves second class citizens with their selfish obnoxious harmful behavior.
Obituary by obituary smokers are reducing the problem.

Since: Sep 08

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Kind of ironic that so many of the people who complain about tobacco smoke drive cars with diesal engines that spew clouds of black smoke into the faces of motorcyclye riders. And they wear way to much perfume and aftershave and other smelly junk that is so overwhelming that I have passed out from the oders several times. And worst of all are the cell phones that spread microwaves in an 80 ft. diameter from the user and potentialy causeing brain tumers for everyone within that radius.

Show me one shred of evidemce that second hand smoke has ever harmed anyone physicaly.

The problem with all you liberals is that you want to force everybody else to live acording to your wierd phobies and politics.

It ain't gonna happen.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Babe, I say we round up all of those delicate flowers and put them someplace safe to protect them from the world.
sapsucker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Does it make a difference if this man fights for what he feels is injustice or not?
That's what millions of American's have fought and died for, "A person's rights". That's one of the major things people have forgotten in this country is the "rights of others" or are you one of those who try to force your will on others?? We as a people have the right to try to change those things we think are wrong, even if our neighbors and friends think we are wrong. This is what America is all about.
What about Cops

Wheeling, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

except there is no right to smoke.
PlacitasRoy

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

sapsucker - While there is an implied right to be stupid, there is no right to harm others. Obituary by obituary smokers are reducing the problem.

Hey Babe- if you aren't a smoker, please start today!If you try real hard you can get up to 3 packs a day.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Smoking has been a custom in the Americas for a very long time.

If you don't love America, then leave.

Miyazaki, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Babe Rainbow wrote:
Kind of ironic that so many of the people who complain about tobacco smoke drive cars with diesal engines that spew clouds of black smoke into the faces of motorcyclye riders. And they wear way to much perfume and aftershave and other smelly junk that is so overwhelming that I have passed out from the oders several times. And worst of all are the cell phones that spread microwaves in an 80 ft. diameter from the user and potentialy causeing brain tumers for everyone within that radius.
Show me one shred of evidemce that second hand smoke has ever harmed anyone physicaly.
The problem with all you liberals is that you want to force everybody else to live acording to your wierd phobies and politics.
It ain't gonna happen.
If you had any interest in learning something, which I doubt, you could inform yourself at this site. It is part of the United States government's National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/...

Here you would find, among other effects, on the front page:

"Secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in nonsmokers."

On the other hand, I you want to maintain your broad based ignorance, don't bother to read it.

Miyazaki, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

That last sentence should read ... "if you want to maintain your broad based ignorance." Heaven forbid that "I" might want you to remain ignorant.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Reserve Discussions

Search the Reserve Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NM, Arizona senators on wildfire tour Jun '14 Mary 1
NM Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) May '14 kyle richards 232
1,200 firefighters battle record New Mexico blaze (Jun '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 6
Smoke shifts directions from Gila fire (May '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 5
Only two utilize Red Cross services (Jun '11) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 5
Record-Setting N.M. Fire Expected to Burn for W... (Jun '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 2
Locals among 19 county manager candidates (Sep '11) Sep '11 yucko 4
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Catron County was issued at August 01 at 6:49PM MDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Reserve Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••