City budget calls for spending cut, salary hikes

City government will still have a healthy surplus, it's spending will continue to be lower, and merit and step salary increases for non-union and union employees have been included in the preliminary budget for the city's 2011 fiscal year. Full Story
nice job

Santa Fe, NM

#1 May 17, 2010
no property tax increase
no layoffs
merit raises
wow.. good job council..

well except for Connor that wants a grocery tax? WTH?
joe mama

Las Cruces, NM

#2 May 18, 2010
before all you people start crying about merit raise's those are for employees based on there performance will get a raise instead of a longevity raise as the other employees get so dont get all fired up about it. We have not had a cost of living raise for a while.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#3 May 18, 2010
If the city of Las Cruces will have significant HEALTHY BUDGET SURPLUS then the city administration NEEDS to GIVE BACK and FUND Cell Phones for our Law Enforcement officials. It is a SMALL price to pay to allow those hard working, dedicated personnel that put their lives on the line day in and day out to provide the proper tools to get the job done and keep us all, to include them SAFE!
the truth

Las Cruces, NM

#4 May 18, 2010
"We have not had a cost of living raise for a while."

Well join the club. be thankful you have a job.
This council needs to go!
N A Ratel

Las Cruces, NM

#5 May 18, 2010
What exactly does Conner do for a living? I know she is now a professional politician who wants to become mayor, but what is her expertise? Grocery tax? How about a hot air tax. We'd be rich off the politicians.
Bayer

Tularosa, NM

#6 May 18, 2010
I knew that the city employees would also have to help pay for this big new city hall some day. I am sure the city councilors and Mayor won't take a pay cut. Did you know in
some cities the councilors work for free or $500.00 a month. What do these make now around $2,000.00? Plus perks.
Valley Native

Rio Rancho, NM

#7 May 18, 2010
So while services are being cut by 14% the number of employees providing those services remains constant. Take for example the building permit department. While their work load is down 100%, based on numbers of permits issued, we still have the same number of employees in the department. This style of governance being exercised by our city council is irresponsible and unsustainable. And they want a new private parking lot to go with their posh new offices and furnishings, give me a break. Government workers in Las Cruces have approved themselves the nicest offices in the city. Whatís next, a premier park to be purchased at inflated values. No thank you, not while my streets are worn, drainage is inadequate, and they canít maintain the facilities we already have.
youbetcha

Coshocton, OH

#10 May 18, 2010
the truth wrote:
absolutely let's get these idiots out as fast as possible otherwise we will all be goose-stepping to the beat of a different drummer.
stiffmister

Las Cruces, NM

#12 May 18, 2010
the truth wrote:
If you really thought that was right no one would ever get a raise. That means social security, anyone working, retirement plans etc. They would just tell you just be thankful you get something.
yoDaddy

Albuquerque, NM

#13 May 18, 2010
Curtiss wrote:
If the city of Las Cruces will have significant HEALTHY BUDGET SURPLUS then the city administration NEEDS to GIVE BACK and FUND Cell Phones for our Law Enforcement officials. It is a SMALL price to pay to allow those hard working, dedicated personnel that put their lives on the line day in and day out to provide the proper tools to get the job done and keep us all, to include them SAFE!
WHY, so they can talk on them while driving with no ear piece!!!!!!!!!!
Notsofast

United States

#14 May 18, 2010
Government employees receiving raises during a depression?
Hmmmm
Peggy

Las Cruces, NM

#17 May 18, 2010
N A Ratel wrote:
What exactly does Conner do for a living? I know she is now a professional politician who wants to become mayor, but what is her expertise? Grocery tax? How about a hot air tax. We'd be rich off the politicians.
All Connor does is spend tax payers money on going on out of state travel. All you need to do is checks the city records and she does more traveling than all the other put together. We have to ask ourselves do we get value in that?
DOLORES CONNOR

Las Cruces, NM

#18 May 18, 2010
Peggy wrote:
<quoted text>
All Connor does is spend tax payers money on going on out of state travel. All you need to do is checks the city records and she does more traveling than all the other put together. We have to ask ourselves do we get value in that?
I would like to know where you have this information as I do not travel out of the state paid for by the city.
Concealed ID

Las Cruces, NM

#19 May 18, 2010
DOLORES CONNOR wrote:
<quoted text>I would like to know where you have this information as I do not travel out of the state paid for by the city.
I wish you and your peers on the council would speak out on these boards more often.
Ray Hartline

Homerville, OH

#20 May 18, 2010
Without television cameras on, Delores Connor won't respond publically unless either (A) Her husband is there to tell her what to say; or (B) She is reading from a press release she did not author.
We are safe. We know the All-Cap name above could not possibly be the plump Councillor.
DOLORES CONNOR

Las Cruces, NM

#21 May 18, 2010
Ray Hartline wrote:
Without television cameras on, Delores Connor won't respond publically unless either (A) Her husband is there to tell her what to say; or (B) She is reading from a press release she did not author.
We are safe. We know the All-Cap name above could not possibly be the plump Councillor.
First of all my name is Dolores and not Delores and my husband doesn't tell me what to say especially at a council meeting. Yesterday I read my comments so I could be precise and I wrote every single word myself.
Duh

Chaville, France

#22 May 18, 2010
Huh?
IMALWAYSRIGHT

Oklahoma City, OK

#23 May 18, 2010
Notsofast wrote:
Government employees receiving raises during a depression?
Hmmmm
Let's be gratefull that ones that post negative comments like the one here isn't your financial advisor. Sounds like this city is well run and managed by their council. An example of city government that others could look to for guidance.
pretty color

Santa Fe, NM

#24 May 18, 2010
DOLORES CONNOR wrote:
<quoted text>First of all my name is Dolores and not Delores and my husband doesn't tell me what to say especially at a council meeting. Yesterday I read my comments so I could be precise and I wrote every single word myself.
with a crayon huh!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Reserve Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NM, Arizona senators on wildfire tour (Jun '14) Jun '14 Mary 1
1,200 firefighters battle record New Mexico blaze (Jun '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 6
Smoke shifts directions from Gila fire (May '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 5
Only two utilize Red Cross services (Jun '11) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 5
Record-Setting N.M. Fire Expected to Burn for W... (Jun '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 2
Locals among 19 county manager candidates (Sep '11) Sep '11 yucko 4
Winds to challenge crews battling US wildfires (Jun '11) Jun '11 Another Whopper 6
Reserve Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Reserve People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Reserve News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Reserve

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:01 pm PST

NBC Sports12:01PM
Arians announces Lindley will start Sunday, doesn't rule out Stanton for playoffs
Bleacher Report12:06 PM
Sanders (Hip) Questionable to Play vs. OAK
NBC Sports12:12 PM
Cards could get Warner, but cutting him
NBC Sports12:44 PM
Arizona's Lindley back at starter, Stanton has infection - NBC Sports
ESPN 3:27 PM
Harbaugh stays tight-lipped on 49ers future