LCPS trims teacher numbers

LCPS trims teacher numbers

There are 47 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Aug 4, 2009, titled LCPS trims teacher numbers. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Despite a pared-down budget and reduced teaching staff, officials at Las Cruces Public Schools say the impact at the classroom level will be minimal as school begins this month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
casual observer

Houston, TX

#41 Aug 6, 2009
Teacher said
"That's why I have many passed students and parents keep in touch with me and come by my class becase of all they learned in my class!"

Sorry teacher, but if they're truly "passed" they would likely not be contacting you, unless you're in touch with the afterworld.

Slow down darlin'. "Past" is shorter and easier to type on your Ipod than "Passed", and by golly it's the correct spelling too!

English teacher???
Teacher

Las Cruces, NM

#42 Aug 6, 2009
casual observer wrote:
Teacher said
"That's why I have many passed students and parents keep in touch with me and come by my class becase of all they learned in my class!"
Sorry teacher, but if they're truly "passed" they would likely not be contacting you, unless you're in touch with the afterworld.
Slow down darlin'. "Past" is shorter and easier to type on your Ipod than "Passed", and by golly it's the correct spelling too!
English teacher???
Sorry about that I just get going so fast, I guess I should go back and check what I wrote sometimes. U know in class. Do check my kids writing and even my own. But those are saved for those times on here it's just so funny how when people see a teacher make a mistake they jmp in it like wild fire. You weren't so bad in you comments but other ones are just to hilarious!!! Thanks for pointing that out for me, I didn't see it till u pointed it out.
Red Apple

Albuquerque, NM

#43 Aug 6, 2009
[QUOTE who="Teacher"it's just so funny how when people see a teacher make a mistake they jmp in it like wild fire.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's not very funny at all. Today's teachers are turning out the dumbest generation of young people in the history of mankind. While there are certainly other factors causing the demise of intelligence (broken school systems, uninvolved parents, trash TV, texting), your atrocious grammar skills certainly aren't helping.
casual observer

Houston, TX

#44 Aug 6, 2009
Unfortunately, in many ways our society is a victim of it's own success.
The electronic age is just one of many examples...

I've seen kids texting each other while in the same room! That can't be good for their interpersonal skills.

The internet and the garbage on cable tv is another example. The kids now are desensitized to just about everything that was immoral in my youth, and I'm not even 50 yet.
Ipod earbuds are in almost every pair of under 25 ears anywhere you look.

I don't envy these teachers.
Yes, our educational system is broken, but you can't lay it all at the feet of the teachers either.
The movement away from traditional values is at least partly to blame for the educational problems we're seeing, and it's only going to get worse.
Desert Singer

Roswell, NM

#45 Aug 7, 2009
Red Apple wrote:
<quoted text>
See what happens when teachers pass on their poor knowledge of grammar?
"Privet" must be the new spelling. Won't be much longer now until school is spelled "skool".
My apologies, I had the word spelled correctly, but the wrong word was used. Privet is a type of shrub, I meant the word private. Very sorry, I make mistakes, but I correct them in time. Do you?
Tony M

Las Cruces, NM

#46 Aug 10, 2009
I'm not a big teacher union person only because I find the teacher unions to be extremely weak. I do find it interesting how teachers knock the unions and do not join but have no problem reaping the benefits he union acquires during negotiations for the teachers. It's almost like your educated working welfare recipients. I don't want to pay the dues but I want the benefits. Unions do far more than keep lazy people on the job. I have been in several trade unions before becoming a teacher.
If the teachers didn't have a union can you imagine how many good teachers would be out of jobs as well. Principals have carte blanche on the decisions that they make. There a many good teachers out there that have problems with administrators because of the administrators lack of control over the students and the school. If you speak up or speak out you are at their mercy. You are also at the mercy of parents and students that make false accusations against you because you may force a child to actually learn or tell a paent they are inept. Teacher unions are necessary to protect the teachers from other things than just collecting a paycheck. BTW those types of teachers are few and far between.
Al Reine

United States

#47 Aug 21, 2009
Teacher's want it all; If they do not like their student ratio; Then get a new job. Just stop all the education for all the Illegals, do away with English as a second language, print and teach only in English; Ten you will have no problem, maybe teachers need to teach fifty two weeks a year, and let's just do away with all those Winter, Spring, and Summer Vacations; The children need to be taught, and not on a vacation every few months !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Reserve Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News November candidates to 'interview' in Las Cruces (Aug '16) Aug '16 Irene 3
News Bulls bring top riders to Wild, Wild West Pro R... (Jun '15) Jun '15 I love the southwest 1
News NM, Arizona senators on wildfire tour (Jun '14) Jun '14 Mary 1
News 1,200 firefighters battle record New Mexico blaze (Jun '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 6
News Smoke shifts directions from Gila fire (May '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 5
News Only two utilize Red Cross services (Jun '11) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 5
News Record-Setting N.M. Fire Expected to Burn for W... (Jun '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 2

Reserve Jobs

Personal Finance

Reserve Mortgages