LCPS trims teacher numbers

LCPS trims teacher numbers

There are 47 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Aug 4, 2009, titled LCPS trims teacher numbers. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Despite a pared-down budget and reduced teaching staff, officials at Las Cruces Public Schools say the impact at the classroom level will be minimal as school begins this month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Tony M

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Aug 5, 2009
Talk about fuzzy math. The 14.4 and 14.7 ratio is so misleading. Any teacher knows there are SPED classes and other elctive classes with 5-10 students. then we have PE with 35-50 and other classes with 25-30. So when talking avg. it is extremely misleading.
Matt

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Aug 5, 2009
I like how the high achievment students are cast aside and not thought of as special needs. They are the best and brightest of the future, these high achieving studets should see small class sizes with more teacher attention to push them to become even greater. This school system is terrible for the gifted, go to El Paso and pay for private school if you have a smart kid I guess.
Teacher

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Aug 5, 2009
You know what I am tired of all the whining and crying! I had a classroom of 29 kids the last two years in an inclusion setting at the elementary level. Depending on your calssroom management skills and instruction methods you can accomodate all of the different levels of students you have in your classroom! I use my gifted in ways that continue to challenge them to push them to be better as well as support those that need the extra attention. It's just that we have all these teachers that work for LCPS that go to work just to collect a paycheck and are not there for the kids. So we have some students that miss out on a whole year of schooling andthen fall behind even more! When have administrators who won't make the tough deciosions to make those teachers accountable to doing their job right or get rid of them! Then the district gives s this bullcrap stuff to implement into the classroom that takes away from our instruction time in the classroom because we are to busy trying to do the paperwork and other crap for their data collections! I say let us teachers be the creative people we are and do the job that we like to d, which is to build a great relationship with our students in orderthT they respect us and then they can learn from us! Not only do I teach them but I also learn from my students every single day! So admin leave us alone with all of the other stuff and do r job n giving us vision and direction and then let us deliver the instruction to our students! Also parents be an advocate for your students and start working toward getting his dumb NMSBA "standardize test" thrown out! All it does is take away more instruction time cause we have to cram in a whole school year worth of learning into a smaller time so that we can test! Then we have to prepare the students for testing so there is more time gone in the classroom! We Also need to learn that not all students are the same and do not learn in the same ways, so that means that we need to change some things for them! We need to start more vocational schools to teach our kids who struggle in some areas other things that will help them be successful in life! We will never reach the goal of No Child Left Behind of having 100% of students being proficient in these test! But we can have those students who want to make their lives better choose something they like to do and teach then those skills and trades and then they will be successful! We are not all meant for college and to become scientist and engineers, but we should all be given the chance to be successful and in learning to be a plumber, electrician, or any other trade s a good job and a benefit for our communities! SO I say we need to get back to teaching and having a student success mentality first so that we can get our students prepared for life! That is one thing that I make sure and do in my classroom is to show my students how what they are learning Nd how it will help them in theirs lives and in their jobs! I say if we do these things and give them these opportunities we will take care of our poor 54% graduation rate! Who if anyone is going to want to finsh something when they are not given the right opportunities and are set for failure from the beginning!
casual observer

Houston, TX

#4 Aug 5, 2009
I think all public schools are the same... Lousy.

You're absolutely correct about the good students actually needing special attention and smaller class sizes. Our whole society is mirrored in this.
If we rewarded people for actually making an effort to succeed instead of rewarding them for working the "system" we'd be a whole lot better off.

“phooey on spellcheck”

Since: Nov 08

las cruces, nm

#5 Aug 5, 2009
Teacher wrote:
You know what I am tired of all the whining and crying! I had a classroom of 29 kids the last two years in an inclusion setting at the elementary level. Depending on your calssroom management skills and instruction methods you can accomodate all of the different levels of students you have in your classroom! I use my gifted in ways that continue to challenge them to push them to be better as well as support those that need the extra attention. It's just that we have all these teachers that work for LCPS that go to work just to collect a paycheck and are not there for the kids. So we have some students that miss out on a whole year of schooling andthen fall behind even more! When have administrators who won't make the tough deciosions to make those teachers accountable to doing their job right or get rid of them! Then the district gives s this bullcrap stuff to implement into the classroom that takes away from our instruction time in the classroom because we are to busy trying to do the paperwork and other crap for their data collections! I say let us teachers be the creative people we are and do the job that we like to d, which is to build a great relationship with our students in orderthT they respect us and then they can learn from us! Not only do I teach them but I also learn from my students every single day! So admin leave us alone with all of the other stuff and do r job n giving us vision and direction and then let us deliver the instruction to our students! Also parents be an advocate for your students and start working toward getting his dumb NMSBA "standardize test" thrown out! All it does is take away more instruction time cause we have to cram in a whole school year worth of learning into a smaller time so that we can test! Then we have to prepare the students for testing so there is more time gone in the classroom! We Also need to learn that not all students are the same and do not learn in the same ways, so that means that we need to change some things for them! We need to start more vocational schools to teach our kids who struggle in some areas other things that will help them be successful in life! We will never reach the goal of No Child Left Behind of having 100% of students being proficient in these test! But we can have those students who want to make their lives better choose something they like to do and teach then those skills and trades and then they will be successful! We are not all meant for college and to become scientist and engineers, but we should all be given the chance to be successful and in learning to be a plumber, electrician, or any other trade s a good job and a benefit for our communities! SO I say we need to get back to teaching and having a student success mentality first so that we can get our students prepared for life! That is one thing that I make sure and do in my classroom is to show my students how what they are learning Nd how it will help them in theirs lives and in their jobs! I say if we do these things and give them these opportunities we will take care of our poor 54% graduation rate! Who if anyone is going to want to finsh something when they are not given the right opportunities and are set for failure from the beginning!
thank you
Border Native-American

Florissant, CO

#6 Aug 5, 2009
Take a look at the LCPS Web site. Then count up all the adminmistrative positions and subsequent position created by admin. It should drop your jaw. It did mine. LCPS is top heavy bad. To top it off those at the top can make 1/3 to 12 MORE than teacher's salary. Consolidate the admin big time and cut 50% of those postions.
Red Apple

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Aug 5, 2009
Teacher wrote:
I truly hope you aren't teaching English grammar or Creative Writing. Have you considered taking a quick course in "how to type a post on the Internet"?
Judas

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Aug 5, 2009
"Teacher," I may agree with some of your sentiments but I surely hope that you are not teaching children how to write paragraphs.
BLOOD ON HIS HANDS

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Aug 5, 2009
Way to go Stan - you keep all the admin overhead
around and tear away at the core of schools -
teachers.

Cut some of your admin including that out of town
riff raff you have in Albuquerque first.
BEYOND FRUSTRATED

San Francisco, CA

#10 Aug 5, 2009
Thank you "teacher". I agree with you. Many teachers are floating by and the blame is placed on the student and the parents. I for one experienced this with my son's teacher last year. the solution was to pay $750 a MONTH to Sylvan and have them do with his teacher did not. I tried at home to keep my child up to speed all year but his teacher could not even manage to communicate her lesson plan to me! one of the biggest problems I had was she missed over 11 days of school herself! way to model a behavior!
A Real Teacher

Las Cruces, NM

#11 Aug 5, 2009
Teacher wrote:
Pretending again? Let me guess. An EA with no degree or intentions of earning any one, who feels unappreciated or a janitorial staff just tired of cleaning up other people's messes. Either way, living your fantasies out on Topix of being a teacher. How's it working for you? Then you wake up because everyone can see through your bulldung just by reading your comment. Go back to school, you obviously never finished.
Teacher

Las Cruces, NM

#12 Aug 5, 2009
Judas wrote:
"Teacher," I may agree with some of your sentiments but I surely hope that you are not teaching children how to write paragraphs.
you know what my intentions were not to have a perfect term paper u idiots but to get a point across! U must be lie the politicians out there that think they know how things should be, so they sit and make their remarks without ever doin the job! Come do my job for a day and u won't say anything any more! Besides I am on vacation! Also if this is from an old-school teacher that wrote this reply maybe u were my teacher, glad ur not around anymore! Cause I know forsure I would never teach the way I was taught!
Teacher

Las Cruces, NM

#13 Aug 5, 2009
A Real Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretending again? Let me guess. An EA with no degree or intentions of earning any one, who feels unappreciated or a janitorial staff just tired of cleaning up other people's messes. Either way, living your fantasies out on Topix of being a teacher. How's it working for you? Then you wake up because everyone can see through your bulldung just by reading your comment. Go back to school, you obviously never finished.
that's so funny! U must be one of those stix stuck up ur azz teachers the way u talk about EA's and janitors! Let me guess u probably also think that SPED teachers aren't real teachers either! Ur the one that I am talkin about that needs to go! Just because u have a piece of paper that says ur a teacher doesn't make u one! I know that everyday, just because I got and completed my double major doesn't make me better than the EA's and oter staff that I work with! Beside the idiots like u!
Get over it

Las Cruces, NM

#14 Aug 5, 2009
Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
you know what my intentions were not to have a perfect term paper u **** but to get a point across! U must be lie the politicians out there that think they know how things should be, so they sit and make their remarks without ever doin the job! Come do my job for a day and u won't say anything any more! Besides I am on vacation! Also if this is from an old-school teacher that wrote this reply maybe u were my teacher, glad ur not around anymore! Cause I know forsure I would never teach the way I was taught!
Capitalization missing? Check.
Misspelled words? Check.
Using the God-awful "U" substitute for the word "you", and "ur" for "you're"? Check.
Run-on sentences? Check.

Las Cruces teaching at its finest.
Al Reine

United States

#15 Aug 5, 2009
Just think if all the Illegals were out of the class room, the teachers would have more time for the real legal students, but with BHO we have THE CHANGE, everyone gets free education, free health, welfare, Cash for Clunkers, food stamps, sounds like the change is working, just spread the wealth, as VP Biden says, do not worry the teachers will have their job, the illegals will get it free, more taxes, and by the way the Obam Nation and the Federal Government will pay every school district for every head count, but the states, the citeis must make up the difference; Welcome to Obama world and Obama Socalismn; by the way Rual Casto has decided to do away with free education and schooling in cuba, they just do not have the money, or the help from good old Russia; If Obama has his way, All of us Legal citizens of America will just be Taxed Mor or in plain words: Just Screwed !
Red Apple

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Aug 5, 2009
Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
you know what my intentions were not to have a perfect term paper u **** but to get a point across!...Also if this is from an old-school teacher that wrote this reply maybe u were my teacher, glad ur not around anymore! Cause I know forsure I would never teach the way I was taught!
Funny, I've always had an expectation that a teacher actually should have a *perfect* term paper, particularly when they are teaching others how to read, write, and spell.

What exactly were you taught by those "old-school" teachers? I'm not seeing much in your style of writing other than "low IQ".

Hold on old-timers, idiocracy is indeed taking over! The calendar may say 2009, but the people are so 2505!
Not NEA

United States

#17 Aug 5, 2009
The problem with public education is to way too much federal intervention. Americans are naive and delusional to think that putting more money in the system is going to somehow rectify all the problems that are systemic in education. The problems are simply a lack of respect from students to teachers, a lack of respect from administrators to teachers, teachers who do not possess adequate content area expertise, and a political machine that governs the functions of the administrative office downtown. Then you have the unions which pretend to help teachers but continue to be one of the biggest obstructions to bringing bright and talented people into the field. Creating a pay scale that applies to all teachers regardless of merit or amount of work a teacher gives is simply ridiculous. We also have parents who refuse to be parents. They want to be "friends" with their kids and refuse to be the authority in their life they are supposed to be. We have liberals pretending that all kids want to learn. As a a classroom teacher let me be the first to illuminate your mind....NO THEY DON'T. Some kids will actually tell you to your face that they don't want to learn and hate school. These kids are a nuisance in class and probably should be preparing for a career of washing dishes or pulling weeds. Our society has been impregnated with the victim mentality. Everyone is a victim and this thinking is paramount in school. If little Suzie or little Jimmy have a problem it is not their fault....it is societies fault, the parents fault, the schools fault, etc. Man, I could just go on and on but you get the picture.
Not NEA

United States

#18 Aug 5, 2009
It is also amazing to me how Americans think that Obama somehow cares about kids and education. That is why his daughters attend a private and prestigious academy. Oh, you say, but having his kids in public school would cause to many problems. What a lot of garbage. Obama pretends to care about education and the brainless liberals who love him salivate at his every word. However, he is smart enough to pull the wool over the American people's eyes AND send his daughters to a real place of learning. Get a life America! Obama is a tool just like the presidents before him. Just another typical politican with self-serving interests. Maybe later I will expound on healthcare (Obamacare.)
Not NEA

United States

#19 Aug 5, 2009
Al Reine wrote:
Just think if all the Illegals were out of the class room, the teachers would have more time for the real legal students, but with BHO we have THE CHANGE, everyone gets free education, free health, welfare, Cash for Clunkers, food stamps, sounds like the change is working, just spread the wealth, as VP Biden says, do not worry the teachers will have their job, the illegals will get it free, more taxes, and by the way the Obam Nation and the Federal Government will pay every school district for every head count, but the states, the citeis must make up the difference; Welcome to Obama world and Obama Socalismn; by the way Rual Casto has decided to do away with free education and schooling in cuba, they just do not have the money, or the help from good old Russia; If Obama has his way, All of us Legal citizens of America will just be Taxed Mor or in plain words: Just Screwed !
Yes, I agree 100 percent!
William

Las Cruces, NM

#20 Aug 5, 2009
Not NEA wrote:
The problem with public education is to way too much federal intervention. Americans are naive and delusional to think that putting more money in the system is going to somehow rectify all the problems that are systemic in education. The problems are simply a lack of respect from students to teachers, a lack of respect from administrators to teachers, teachers who do not possess adequate content area expertise, and a political machine that governs the functions of the administrative office downtown. Then you have the unions which pretend to help teachers but continue to be one of the biggest obstructions to bringing bright and talented people into the field. Creating a pay scale that applies to all teachers regardless of merit or amount of work a teacher gives is simply ridiculous. We also have parents who refuse to be parents. They want to be "friends" with their kids and refuse to be the authority in their life they are supposed to be. We have liberals pretending that all kids want to learn. As a a classroom teacher let me be the first to illuminate your mind....NO THEY DON'T. Some kids will actually tell you to your face that they don't want to learn and hate school. These kids are a nuisance in class and probably should be preparing for a career of washing dishes or pulling weeds. Our society has been impregnated with the victim mentality. Everyone is a victim and this thinking is paramount in school. If little Suzie or little Jimmy have a problem it is not their fault....it is societies fault, the parents fault, the schools fault, etc. Man, I could just go on and on but you get the picture.
Ah... a breath of fresh air! This is a perfect description of public education today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Reserve Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News November candidates to 'interview' in Las Cruces Aug 8 Irene 3
News Bulls bring top riders to Wild, Wild West Pro R... (Jun '15) Jun '15 I love the southwest 1
News NM, Arizona senators on wildfire tour (Jun '14) Jun '14 Mary 1
News 1,200 firefighters battle record New Mexico blaze (Jun '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 6
News Smoke shifts directions from Gila fire (May '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 5
News Only two utilize Red Cross services (Jun '11) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 5
News Record-Setting N.M. Fire Expected to Burn for W... (Jun '12) Jun '12 non-resident trapper 2

Reserve Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Reserve Mortgages