Homeless on a quest for warmth

Homeless on a quest for warmth

There are 6 comments on the The Seattle Times story from Jan 12, 2007, titled Homeless on a quest for warmth. In it, The Seattle Times reports that:

Bob Hall, 54, bundles up on the Seattle waterfront. He said he has been sleeping on the street, mainly near the waterfront, since a tree fell on his sister's home in Renton after Christmas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Seattle Times.

Don Knowles

Bend, OR

#1 Jan 14, 2007
Why doesn't bundle up and get a job!!
George

Arroyo Grande, CA

#2 Jan 16, 2007
We live on the central coast of California and it is so cold I went to Walmark and bought two blankets for $38.00 to wrap and protect two new trees I planted last year. It does not matter why a fellow human is cold or if they are unwilling to get a job and help themselves; what matters is if we as humans are willing to help them keep warm in their time of need. I should have spent the money on blankets for the homeless.
Jonathon 1408

Seattle, WA

#3 Feb 24, 2007
When will politicians wake up and require all developers who build houses or condos to set aside 15 to 20%, of the homes and condos/new apartment bldgs for homeless, low income and moderate income individuals and families. We wouldn't have a housing crises for lower income folks if these developers would do the right thing in the first place without waiting for government to force them to do it. But of course all the developers and property owners want to do is make the most money possible without caring about the needs of individuals and families less fortunate than themselves. If our politicians can waste millions of our tax dollars building brand new "play pens" for atheletes, they ought to be able to set aside a few million of our tax dollars to take care of humanitarian needs first. Sports "play pens" can come later.
albe a horses petootie

Victoria, Canada

#4 Feb 28, 2007
Profit , Profit, profit.
Houses should be given away ?
I want one , because i deserve one , not you!
Why do people lack the basic knowledge of this economic society, we are all individuals ,the commonality some suggest is a dream.
Marg Thatcher said society is just individuals living close to one another.
Free housing , free food , free cable TV, a what a country!
The UK dds(welfare) system gives out lager vouchers and free accomodation ,but only if you are an alcoholic,what an incentive to move to UK.
SmellyBrownTrout

Seattle, WA

#5 Mar 7, 2007
Jonathon 1408 wrote:
When will politicians wake up and require all developers who build houses or condos to set aside 15 to 20%, of the homes and condos/new apartment bldgs for homeless, low income and moderate income individuals and families. We wouldn't have a housing crises for lower income folks if these developers would do the right thing in the first place without waiting for government to force them to do it. But of course all the developers and property owners want to do is make the most money possible without caring about the needs of individuals and families less fortunate than themselves. If our politicians can waste millions of our tax dollars building brand new "play pens" for atheletes, they ought to be able to set aside a few million of our tax dollars to take care of humanitarian needs first. Sports "play pens" can come later.
You're joking right? Can you imagine the mess in Bellevue, Medina and Mercer Island if your suggestion were law. Homeless people need help not a hand out and certainly not one that penalizes the hardworking entrepreneurs meeting the demand for high end housing by building quality housing. Who would buy a million dollar home next door to a 1000sqft shack? What do you want to do, make the construction workers homeless too? If you take the profit incentive for construction away then naturally you are responsible for the lost jobs. Maybe you might realize more support by making a law providing builder tax incentives for hiring the formerly homeless--notice that I said formerly homeless because there are some people who take advantage of the assistance and charity provided to the homeless (see my post in the Redmond Tent City thread). Another possibility is to create auxiliary units on the property of the large homes that may be used by parents, maids, servants, or if the owner allows, the formerly homeless (notice that I said formerly homeless because once they are in a structure they have a home).
paradox

Nashville, TN

#6 Jul 27, 2007
Jonathon 1408 wrote:
Why would they do that? More money to line their pockets .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Renton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kira Jul '17 Don 3
NFL Teams Are WIshing They Didnt Pass On Tyler... Jul '17 SEATTLESPORTSCAST... 1
Mercer Island Music Emporium (Oct '12) May '17 Musikologist 17
1 Seattle Player That Will Be A Game Changer No... May '17 SEATTLESPORTSCAST... 1
Seahawks Michael Bennett Goes Off on Stephen A ... May '17 SEATTLESPORTSCAST... 1
What does Malik McDowell brings to the Seahawks... May '17 SEATTLESPORTSCAST... 1
Eugene Robb May '17 hiding in plain view 1

Renton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Renton Mortgages