Microsoft hopes for a fresh start with Windows 7

Full story: The Washington Post

A small crowd begins to gather outside a Fry's Electronics store in Renton, Wash., before the doors opened at midnight, Wednesday, Oct.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of46
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: May 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Are they promising that this time it will work, really and tryely? This time I won't crash or freeze every day? This time it will actually do what it is advertised the do? Hey, just trust us?

Since: Aug 08

Chitown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

I have used W7 Pro.- x64 for couple months now. I did install all the x64 vista drivers, with some not working correctly, but overall it was a smooth transition. Instal of w7 is quick, and it is def less annoying than Vista. All the apps so far work fine. Some times I do get a weird loss of sound and or ability to play videos using VLC player.

Overall, I am very happy with W7 as compared to Vista.
Fwbuckeroo Fort Worth

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

I'm sticking with my EXP. I have a son who works IT for a large cel phone group and he definitely advised to stay away from the vista system because it was buggy. With the trouble Micro soft has had with the vista system , it sort of tells me they put this next generation together right. Two bad ones in a row would devastate their business.

“kein Mitleid fur die Mehrheit”

Since: Dec 06

Allen Park, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

I have been running Win7 on a 3 year old laptop (1.4ghz dual core/2GB) since March.

I had no install problems. I did have to search for drivers from manufacturers websites for my audio and track pad.

I have not had to restart the system for any unnecessary reason and have had no application crashes. I am very pleased. I would not recommend upgrading from Vista, I don't believe you would see a difference although I like the Win7 interface changes quite a bit better. I would not hesitate to upgrade from XP though. Win7 is far and away better than XP in all areas.

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Walnutport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

When I get my $1000 to go shopping in a laptop ad I will surely consider this impressively large bug fix for Vista.
rasmasyean

Middle Village, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Anyone who says Win 7 is so much “better” than Vista has barely any clue what they are talking about. You are just buying the hype.

If you are so happy that Win 7 works on your 5 year old (/budget) computer while Vista “sucks”, it’s not because you are getting something “better” from Win 7. It’s that you’re wasting your money (AGAIN!) on some trendy product built to double as a linux-finishing-move in the netbook market. Hint: Get a new computer!

Win7’s main features (for an up to date computer) over Vista are:
1) Multi-touch
2) Networking

Unless you spend a lot on number 1) or plan to built an advanced cloud system in your house taking advantage of 2), then all other features are barely different from Vista.

Again, if your computer sucks, Win 7 is not a good solution. You'll pay a lot of the upgrade and not even get your money's worth. Get a new computer!

“F1”

Since: Jul 08

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Oh man dont even get me started on Visa, VISTA SUCKS!!! Win7 I will give a try but in the mean time im sticking with XP SP3.

My PC:

EVGA 750I SLI FTW
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz (Overclocked on air 3.4ghz)
G Skill 3GB Memory
Seagate Baracuda 350Gigs 7200RPM
EVGA GTX 260 Video Cards (running SLI)
750watt Roswell Power Suppl
Antec Gaming Case Mid Tower

I <3 my PC

Upgrading to a I7 build VERY soon.. I might setup Win7 to see how it runs on my next build. But really chances are very high that I stay with Win XP SP3 - its just so damn stable and smooth!

Since: May 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Linux.

It doesn't crash, doesn't freeze, doesn't do weird things, lets you close programs, really rood update, reliable, easy to used except for windows apps which take a little tinkering under Wine, and so on. Windows, are they still in business???

Since: Aug 08

Chitown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Alonso420 wrote:
Oh man dont even get me started on Visa, VISTA SUCKS!!! Win7 I will give a try but in the mean time im sticking with XP SP3.
My PC:
EVGA 750I SLI FTW
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz (Overclocked on air 3.4ghz)
G Skill 3GB Memory
Seagate Baracuda 350Gigs 7200RPM
EVGA GTX 260 Video Cards (running SLI)
750watt Roswell Power Suppl
Antec Gaming Case Mid Tower
I <3 my PC
Upgrading to a I7 build VERY soon.. I might setup Win7 to see how it runs on my next build. But really chances are very high that I stay with Win XP SP3 - its just so damn stable and smooth!
If you have all that hardware firepower, you are wasting it with Xp. Simply put, with all that under the hood, W7 will outperform your Xp set up.

Now, I did not pay for my W7, so spending hundreds of dollars for an upgrade might not be worth it for you.
Nah in bmore

Edgewood, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Look I dual boot vista and ubuntu and I'm planning to install a test version of Win7 to get rid of this bloated Vista install.

That being said Win7 is just Vista done up with huge bug fixes, made to run under a little bit lesser resources, and a couple of stolen ideas from Linux and Mac. So, if you do have Vista I definitely suggest you upgrade it will definitely be more secure and a bit leaner on your system.

As for ubuntu Linux, it rocks ... Windows will probrably never be as fast or as stable as Linux. If you are a techie or semi-literate in computers and are willing to learn I definitely suggest you try Linux. Something like Sabayon, Ubuntu, Fedora, or openSuse.

Also, a side note...cant wait for Android Cellphones to really take off!
rasmasyean

Middle Village, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Linux is good for a “secondary” computer/boot if you’re the type that likes to play around with it and/or a pro involved with Linux. There are people who still have 8 year old XP machines used as a jukebox. But these aren’t what we are usually talking about when discussing upgrading to Windows 7.

When you upgrade to state of the art stuff it’s normally for your main first...and then down the line if it’s worth it. Unless your main is reasonably powerful in respect to TODAY’s technology (you may have paid $3K for it 5 years ago and that doesn’t count), you are better off buying a new system rather than paying retail.“Free Windows” is one thing, but it cracks me up when ppl want to pay $200 to install Win 7 on a computer worth $100. And many ppl don’t understand that it’s not just CPU/RAM combo that counts. Its features in the GPU, bus speed, motherboard assets, connectors, etc. For example, one of the recurrent discussed “enhancements” of Win 7 is “boot time”. But this is obviously to hype an irrelevant feature that barely makes any difference in S3 motherboards (which pretty much all later Vista era computers shipped with, I’m sure they threw in old tech into Vista’s early models to sell cheap computers unfortunately). Even if Win7 on startup is faster than Vista, it doesn’t make much difference if you boot your computer like only when you install something major.
rasmasyean

Middle Village, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Oh and one more thing. Note that present “early Win 7 computers” are Vista era computers with a Win 7 install. You might not get things like USB 3.0 hardware in some of these models so if your think that’s important, you should wait a bit until newer hardware comes out.
rasmasyean

Middle Village, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

But you can always opt for a USB 3.0 expansion card too later on…I just checked and it looks like most of the hardware will come out in 2010 so if you don’t want to wait…just get the hardware upgrade later. :)

“IT'S A RACCOON!!”

Since: Sep 09

A little town in PA.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Microsoft has a cycle:
Shi**y computer.
Amazing computer.
No, this cycle's been going on since pretty much the company created the first windows computer. And according to the cycle, windows 7 will be amazing. Personally, I'd buy mac, but windows vista is the sh**iest computer out there. Windows 7 is a super-version of this, and just wait a few months they'll fix it up even better. I have tried windows 7, and it's not anywhere near as horrible as vista. Still though, if you have the money buy a mac.
rasmasyean

Middle Village, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Judged:

LOL Macs are for people who barely know how to use a computer. Hence barely anyone makes anything for Macs. Because, of those Mac users that do exist, a very small percentage of them really know what you can do with a computer and hence there is no market to make anything complex because the Mac users wouldn’t know what to do with it! If you are such an imbecile that every computer that doesn’t hold both your hands is considered “shi**y”, then get a Mac!

“IT'S A RACCOON!!”

A little town in PA.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

Judged:

rasmasyean wrote:
LOL Macs are for people who barely know how to use a computer. Hence barely anyone makes anything for Macs. Because, of those Mac users that do exist, a very small percentage of them really know what you can do with a computer and hence there is no market to make anything complex because the Mac users wouldn’t know what to do with it! If you are such an imbecile that every computer that doesn’t hold both your hands is considered “shi**y”, then get a Mac!
Dude u have no idea wtf you're talking about. My guess is you read one website that you found on google when you typed in 'windows 7.' Windows usually have many more problems than macs do, and macs almost never get viruses. They're fast, efficient, and when you buy it and take it home, the setup for EVERYTHING takes about 5 minutes. Not the 2 fu**ing hours it took to get our PC running when we moved. They just aren't that good anymore. So far, the best one's been XP, and a mac kicks the sh** out of XP.
rasmasyean

Middle Village, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

MaskedRaccoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude u have no idea wtf you're talking about. My guess is you read one website that you found on google when you typed in 'windows 7.' Windows usually have many more problems than macs do, and macs almost never get viruses. They're fast, efficient, and when you buy it and take it home, the setup for EVERYTHING takes about 5 minutes. Not the 2 fu**ing hours it took to get our PC running when we moved. They just aren't that good anymore. So far, the best one's been XP, and a mac kicks the sh** out of XP.
OMG, something that is “versatile” takes a bit longer to configure! Now that’s a surprise! For the price of a Mac, you can get a better Windows AND a world class virus scanner! You spend the same amount as a Mac and you get a much better PC. If you compare a $1,000 Mac to a $500 PC and say that Windows is slow…that’s pretty ingenious to blame the OS.

Take a look at OS marketshare and you will realize how much OSX kicks the sh** out of XP with its whopping < 5% marketshare. And that’s only attainable via estimating internet traffic (which doesn’t include all the Windows not connected to the internet or used primarily for work). The only reason why Mac’s jumped from 2% to 5% over many years was because of the iPod craze (NOT OSX)!

Macs can get viruses too. It just depends on the user. And Macs don’t go down partly because users don’t do much with it…because they can barely find anything to buy or download compared to Windows! But the smallest problem will make the average Mac user run to the genius bar because these are the types of ppl who use Macs.

One problem with “Vista” was the crap computers manufacturers suckered ppl to buy. Ppl think...

”Oh, I’m just gonna use email and internet so I’ll save some money. OMG, this is sooo slow when I use a real email client like Outlook instead of gmail web-crap, and it starts to choke when I open 10 browsers! Now that I have a WINDOWS computer, there’s so much software for it and I want to play this awesome new game but it’s so slow! Vista sucks!”

Hello, dork! YOU suck for your cheap and mal-informed purchase decision! Windows has lots of goodies developed and manufactured for it and that’s not your fault for being surprised and wanting some more candy. But you need the hardware for it so the SMART thing to do is donate your lemon to the poor (or garbage bin) and get a new computer!

BTW, in gaming surveys, Vista has a near 50% penetration. This is A LOT for the amount of time it has been out and you know gamers want “performance”. But they are usually also smart about configuring their machines.

You can believe that you know much and it’s never your fault, but the wise man knows that there are much things he doesn’t know. So learn about it rather than think you’re all that!

“IT'S A RACCOON!!”

A little town in PA.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

rasmasyean wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG, something that is “versatile” takes a bit longer to configure! Now that’s a surprise! For the price of a Mac, you can get a better Windows AND a world class virus scanner! You spend the same amount as a Mac and you get a much better PC. If you compare a $1,000 Mac to a $500 PC and say that Windows is slow…that’s pretty ingenious to blame the OS.
Take a look at OS marketshare and you will realize how much OSX kicks the sh** out of XP with its whopping < 5% marketshare. And that’s only attainable via estimating internet traffic (which doesn’t include all the Windows not connected to the internet or used primarily for work). The only reason why Mac’s jumped from 2% to 5% over many years was because of the iPod craze (NOT OSX)!
Macs can get viruses too. It just depends on the user. And Macs don’t go down partly because users don’t do much with it…because they can barely find anything to buy or download compared to Windows! But the smallest problem will make the average Mac user run to the genius bar because these are the types of ppl who use Macs.
One problem with “Vista” was the crap computers manufacturers suckered ppl to buy. Ppl think...
”Oh, I’m just gonna use email and internet so I’ll save some money. OMG, this is sooo slow when I use a real email client like Outlook instead of gmail web-crap, and it starts to choke when I open 10 browsers! Now that I have a WINDOWS computer, there’s so much software for it and I want to play this awesome new game but it’s so slow! Vista sucks!”
Hello, dork! YOU suck for your cheap and mal-informed purchase decision! Windows has lots of goodies developed and manufactured for it and that’s not your fault for being surprised and wanting some more candy. But you need the hardware for it so the SMART thing to do is donate your lemon to the poor (or garbage bin) and get a new computer!
BTW, in gaming surveys, Vista has a near 50% penetration. This is A LOT for the amount of time it has been out and you know gamers want “performance”. But they are usually also smart about configuring their machines.
You can believe that you know much and it’s never your fault, but the wise man knows that there are much things he doesn’t know. So learn about it rather than think you’re all that!
OK, first of all, that's not even the correct Mac marketshare. I know, I looked it the fu** up. For the price of a good mac, you can get a good pc yes. But then after you send all that money on that good computer, you have to buy all the good hardware and software for it, plus a really good anti-virus program. I just want to know this, have you ever used mac computers? I have a very good windows XP that was the best computer I ever owned. It cost a helluva lot of money, it was personally configured and had all the latest and greatest hardware/software. Then I bought a $1000 mac laptop and it was easily better than the XP. It ran so perfectly, and everything was so much easier and less confusing, it made that 'amazing' XP look like sh**.
rasmasyean

Middle Village, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

Try looking for the marketshare in a NON-MAC site!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_market_share

XP is 8 years old! I'm sure many can say Mac is better than DOS!

Like I said, it's good for computer challenged. If you spend half the time researching what you are talking about instead of spewing BS, you would actually make more sense and prolly not write half the stuff you did!

“OUCH”

Since: Mar 07

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

MaskedRaccoon wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, first of all, that's not even the correct Mac marketshare. I know, I looked it the fu** up. For the price of a good mac, you can get a good pc yes. But then after you send all that money on that good computer, you have to buy all the good hardware and software for it, plus a really good anti-virus program. I just want to know this, have you ever used mac computers? I have a very good windows XP that was the best computer I ever owned. It cost a helluva lot of money, it was personally configured and had all the latest and greatest hardware/software. Then I bought a $1000 mac laptop and it was easily better than the XP. It ran so perfectly, and everything was so much easier and less confusing, it made that 'amazing' XP look like sh**.
No he hasn't ever used a mac.can't you tell?:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of46
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Renton Discussions

Search the Renton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Two arrests made in Sound Transit Light Rail as... Sun lara feeds the url 1
Hey any girls wanna text me i need new texting ... (Nov '10) Mar 28 Nikkya16 30
Review: Cedar River Medical Massage (Feb '09) Mar 26 Alex 6
Mercer Island Music Emporium (Oct '12) Mar 22 Musikologist 8
Metro Transit Prop 1 needs to Pass! Mar 20 bar_gains_galore 1
Weekend fire displaces three, dog still missing Mar '14 Harmony Wood -Fire Victim 1
Lawmakers sign WaKIDS bill to improve early edu... (Mar '12) Mar '14 prot 2
•••
•••

Renton News Video

•••
•••

Renton Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Renton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE